Menu

Ignore this thread!

So, I searched Amazon for books with the terms "current events" and ordered them by publication date... which meant I had to go to about page 27 or so to not be in pre-order territory:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_27?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Acurrent+events&page=27&sort=date-desc-rank&keywords=current+events&ie=UTF8&qid=1515268695

Most results aren't relevant, but, some finds published in about the past month:

https://www.amazon.com/Not-Normal-Progressives-Trumps-Election/dp/197963467X/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

May or may not be your cup of tea wrt political slant, but seemed appropriate to assignment iiuc. 

https://www.amazon.com/Eruptions-Popular-Anger-Economics-Development-ebook/dp/B078SGDBTL/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1515268846&sr=1-1

Looks like a tougher read (this one is about Arab Spring and its aftermath - the aftermath being current events, right?).

https://www.amazon.com/Vanilla-Not-Only-Flavor-Re-Education/dp/1979173281/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Current events poetry (again, may or may not be your political slant - I'm not really picking a political angle here, just what Amazon has listed for current events that was published in about the last month). 

https://www.amazon.com/Controlling-Cyberspace-Politics-Governance-Regulation-ebook/dp/B077KF6YXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1515269025&sr=1-1

Probably a tougher read too (probably relevant wrt net neutrality and the like... not sure). 

Anyway, if you have a topic that interests you, you could probably find better results by searching for that topic and sorting by publication date - the above is just to show some examples of things that might work.

I’m reading “Stripping the Altars: Traditional Religion in England 1400-1580†by Eamon Duffy. It’s hard going (he’s a prof at Cambridge) but absolutely fascinating. It’s nice to read something that delves into what that time was really like, rather than the Monty Python version of the Middle Ages that gets taken for granted.

That looks really good.

Does MP's Latin cover English grammar?

No, not really. Parts of speech, yes, but in kind of a “we expect you to know this†sort of way. If you want a systematic study of English grammar that is easy to use and relatively cheap - Rod & Staff is the way to go!!

EdPo, by the way!!

No, not really. Parts of speech, yes, but in kind of a “we expect you to know this†sort of way. If you want a systematic study of English grammar that is easy to use and relatively cheap - Rod & Staff is the way to go!!

EdPo, by the way!!

THERE WAS NO WARNING!

:willy_nilly:  :svengo:

Is that from the chat board? I thought you were with them.

Oh heavens no. I browse Tim Challies’ blog occassionally and found it there.

I just mentioned the book because it caught my eye. I really need to pull myself out of the heavy history genre and read things a little more light weight so I don’t get so bogged down.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I think that I"m going to try to take a nap.  I had a tough night with hot flashes that weren't flashes but were more like multiple-hour long roasts.  When I first woke up, the Fitbit said that I had only slept for 4 hours (which matches what I would have said) but then suddenly it changed it's mind and said that I had slept for 8.   Hmmm. 

There is no one in the house right now and it is a perfect time to nap.  As soon as I start to fall asleep though I will jinx things because everyone will come back noisily.  I just know it. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

I'm home. :svengo: Not getting up again. Not getting in the car again. Not cooking tonight. Instead I'm going to finish reading the two books I'm working on, write a little bit, paint a little bit and call it a day.

I’m having another Hawaii 5-0 binge. I feel like total carp. I know I have another sinus infection. I hate this.
  • Like 1

We had a busy day today.

We took down the indoor Christmas decorations.  The outside ones are staying up until it's a little warmer.

I napped.

Ds17 went to see Star Wars again, this time with dh.

And I cooked up a storm:  two meals of taco meat, Italian-seasoned chicken to serve with pasta tomorrow, Parmesan-crusted chicken (w/ gf bread crumbs), and I put some chicken in a (store-bought) marinade for later in the week.

• Like 6

I’m having another Hawaii 5-0 binge. I feel like total carp. I know I have another sinus infection. I hate this.

I’m waiting for the doctor to call me. With Medi-share we get this service. Hopefully he can prescribe me an antibiotic and DH can go to the Afsa and get it for me.
  • Like 5

I have never had Thai food.

Thai food is superyummy.

Ah! What's R.E.A.D.S.?[/size]

It's a digital library that we can use to check out digital/Kindle books through our public library.

When I first woke up, the Fitbit said that I had only slept for 4 hours (which matches what I would have said) but then suddenly it changed it's mind and said that I had slept for 8.   Hmmm. 

Obviously, you were abducted by aliens.

• Like 7

i tired...

Today I showered, dressed, fed dogs and played with them a bit in the cold, coffee'd, started roast in crock pot, carried in wood and played with dogs again and put them in their run, started a fire, made bread (actually started it and washed some of the dishes from it), left it to rise and took one child to friend's house in town, came home and shaped dough for pans (including making three loaves into cinnamon swirl bread), made a smoothie for both dds and washed the blender, baked bread, (and put logs on the fire all day long), went back to pick ds up from friend's house, stopped at the AFSA with him for groceries, came home and put them away, bagged the bread (2 loaves for oldest to take back with him to school tomorrow), ate roast, helped 12yo ds make a cake (bit of adventure since we didn't do it right, but mostly worked out anyway), unloaded and reloaded dishwasher, washed other ds's tkd uniform, paid oldest for taking his brother to TKD.   :svengo:

• Like 9

I cooked up a bunch of ground beef/ground turkey for tacos and stuff, too. That chicken looks yummy (and easy!).

The chicken was super easy and tasted pretty good.  It's definitely on the to-be-made-again list.  The baking time was a little off (or my oven is).  It needed about 10 extra minutes.

• Like 1

i tired...

Today I showered, dressed, fed dogs and played with them a bit in the cold, coffee'd, started roast in crock pot, carried in wood and played with dogs again and put them in their run, started a fire, made bread (actually started it and washed some of the dishes from it), left it to rise and took one child to friend's house in town, came home and shaped dough for pans (including making three loaves into cinnamon swirl bread), made a smoothie for both dds and washed the blender, baked bread, (and put logs on the fire all day long), went back to pick ds up from friend's house, stopped at the AFSA with him for groceries, came home and put them away, bagged the bread (2 loaves for oldest to take back with him to school tomorrow), ate roast, helped 12yo ds make a cake (bit of adventure since we didn't do it right, but mostly worked out anyway), unloaded and reloaded dishwasher, washed other ds's tkd uniform, paid oldest for taking his brother to TKD.   :svengo:

Basically I had a day where I did as much as Angi does every day.   :laugh:

• Like 8

Our fireplace is gas. California outlawed building houses with real fireplaces many years ago.

My ILs' rural-ish house doesn't have gas, so their fireplace is wood-burning.  I have never seen them burn a wood fire in their fireplace, though MIL will light candles in there for the ambiance.  They once had a house fire start from a fireplace fire, so they don't do wood fires inside anymore.

I once lived in a cabin up in the mountains and had to resort to starting up the woodburning cookstove for heat when I ran out of propane.  The wood I had had a lot of pitch in it and I got the fire too hot.  I was in a panic until I managed to get that fire put out, and I stayed up ALL NIGHT watching that stove and the surrounding area for any signs of fire.  I had seen embers shooting out of the chimney, and I was scared of setting the trees on fire.  I was never so grateful for that amount of snow, though if it weren't for all the snow the delivery truck would have made it days sooner.

• Like 3

Today's high will be 47 degrees.  It isn't bad.  It is warm inside.  And I can go outside with just a sweater. 

Frost on the ground this morning, and then it warmed up to probably near 60 here today.  We are supposed to have lows well above freezing for the next few days, so I uncovered the plumeria.  It was lovely weather for moving furniture over to Dad's new apartment today. 

It really is a small apartment.  A twin bed, small table to act as nightstand, and a short bookcase left barely enough room for his dresser to be added to the bedroom.  In the living room we put in a tall, wide bookcase, one arm chair, a small oak table with two small kitchen chairs pulled up to it (though in my opinion the table is only really good for one to sit at), which leaves room along one wall for a 4x2 Kallax to sit horizontally to act as a TV stand/storage.  There's room for one additional lounge-y chair (I will suggest Dad buy a lift recliner) in the living room if things are placed just so.  That leaves room for one or two upright chairs out on his small balcony, and that's all the furniture Dad's place can reasonably hold.

After the shower curtain arrives from Amazon I'll take that over (next week) and finish placing the movable shelves in the bookcases.  Once that's done I'll snap a few pictures with my phone to show Dad once DD16 and I get back to Colorado.  That will give him an idea of what his place will be like and reassure him he will be okay until he gets out to find furniture he likes.

• Like 2

So, if you had to read a book about “Current Eventsâ€, what would that mean to you?? How current? Because if it’s a book, the events wouldn’t be that current because of the time it takes to write and publish. Would current events be something that happened in my Lifetime?

Probably something within the last decade, though it could include stuff leading up to the "current" event.  Keep in mind that a lot of information often comes out years or decades after an event, so treat all "current events" information as incomplete, even though it might be the best information available on the subject at the time.

• Like 1

I’m waiting for the doctor to call me. With Medi-share we get this service. Hopefully he can prescribe me an antibiotic and DH can go to the Afsa and get it for me.

Still waiting. I hope they call early enough so that Afsa can fill a prescription yet today.
  • Like 2

Having a party! Just realized we have had people over every weekend for the last three weeks. Egads. And we have our special dinner party later this month! I am a party girl I guess. Thank you Asia for teaching me to entertain.

• Like 6

I've got to plan meals while I'm out of commission for the next few days. Blech. No one else will cook or clean, although I have a feeling the basic chores will be done. So far my plan to assign a simple tunic for summer and a toga for cold winter days has not been accepted by the multitude. Therefore, they will have to do laundry.

• Like 5

DDa and I worked on cleaning DD(10)s room. I didn't need the help but she's good company and likes to organize an I'll pay her something. DD(10) is banned from helping or being near us. In exchange for not cleaning herself, we get to make all decisions about what stays and goes. I thought we could do it today but we've only completed the closet! It's not even a walk in closet. 

• Like 5

There's something about your own infant that smells so wonderful; even if the baby is messy. I could sniff Baby all day. They should make a newborn or infant scented candle! I wonder when it fades, however, because I definitely do not want to sniff DS(16) all day!  :lol:

• Like 9

DDa and I worked on cleaning DD(10)s room. I didn't need the help but she's good company and likes to organize an I'll pay her something. DD(10) is banned from helping or being near us. In exchange for not cleaning herself, we get to make all decisions about what stays and goes. I thought we could do it today but we've only completed the closet! It's not even a walk in closet.

I love that consequence. Mom Cleans Your Room. I do it myself with NPR to keep me company. I keep the sentimental things secretly in my sentimental chest but they don't know.

• Like 2