• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

The only instruction on comma placement I've ever received was that you should place commas anywhere there's a pause and when listing things.

In a sentence that has a conjunction (which is what "and" and "but" are), the conjunction would precede the conjunction, not follow it

"I went to the store, and I bought some Silly String," not "I went to the store and, I bought some Silly String."

"I brought the Silly String home with plans of flash mob-type adventures, but I was surrounded by spoil-sports who wouldn't play with me," not "I brought the Silly String home with plans of flash mob-type adventures but, I was surrounded by spoil-sports who wouldn't play with me."

Sometimes in speech we pause for emphasis, which isn't always a good way to decide where commas go in written sentences. :-)

I have a friend who has a Master's degree in...something, I forget what...and she *always* puts the comma after the conjunction. I guess higher education doesn't always result in knowing proper grammar, lol.

In a sentence that has a conjunction (which is what "and" and "but" are), the conjunction would precede the conjunction, not follow it

"I went to the store, and I bought some Silly String," not "I went to the store and, I bought some Silly String."

"I brought the Silly String home with plans of flash mob-type adventures, but I was surrounded by spoil-sports who wouldn't play with me," not "I brought the Silly String home with plans of flash mob-type adventures but, I was surrounded by spoil-sports who wouldn't play with me."

Sometimes in speech we pause for emphasis, which isn't always a good way to decide where commas go in written sentences. :-)

I have a friend who has a Master's degree in...something, I forget what...and she *always* puts the comma after the conjunction. I guess higher education doesn't always result in knowing proper grammar, lol.

Very true! I just want to improve my grammar so that I teach my children correctly and because bad grammar is often associated with stupidity.

And the day starts with a discussion of vomiting. :huh:  This thread is epic.

I think Lotsoflittleducklings wins the laundry wars. Hers is a system that I can implement.

texasmama, I love your Pyr!  One is on my wish list, just as soon as we get the sheep. (For inside, I have a GSD, a breed that lives to serve. :patriot:  It will be interesting to see if I survive a guardian dog.)

<saving my Pyr for JoJosmom>

She arrived in our yard one day about a year ago.  I went out to run her off and instead, we made friends.  <sigh>  So now we have a large, uncivilized, supermodel dog.  I think she was about a year old when we found her so we will have her for a good ten years.  I treated her for ticks and fleas, spayed her, and got her shots.  I think she was dumped by someone who wanted a cute puppy, not a huge dog.

True LGDs are fabulous and low maintenance.  My Pyr is bored and needs a friend and a bigger fenced area to roam in and protect us.  Recently I considered for a hot minute adopting a male Mastiff mix (125 pounds) to be her friend.  What the heck would I do with 200 pounds of dog?

• Like 1

<saving my Pyr for JoJosmom>

She arrived in our yard one day about a year ago.  I went out to run her off and instead, we made friends.  <sigh>  So now we have a large, uncivilized, supermodel dog.  I think she was about a year old when we found her so we will have her for a good ten years.  I treated her for ticks and fleas, spayed her, and got her shots.  I think she was dumped by someone who wanted a cute puppy, not a huge dog.

True LGDs are fabulous and low maintenance.  My Pyr is bored and needs a friend and a bigger fenced area to roam in and protect us.  Recently I considered for a hot minute adopting a male Mastiff mix (125 pounds) to be her friend.  What the heck would I do with 200 pounds of dog?

Shovel a whole lotta poop, sister.

• Like 3

Why a little :mellow: ?

I'm trying to get *rid* of stuff. Have you missed all of my minimalist bragging posts? We have less than half of what we had when we got married. Seriously. I want to cut it in half again. My husband was raised by packrats. It took him 7 years to jump on the less stuff more life train, but when he saw the peace it brought me he was all in. He's a good man. I used to spend 5 hours every Friday cleaning. Now it takes me ONE hour to clean the bathroom, kitchen, dust, vacuum, and mop. One. As in 4 less than 5.

• Like 3

Ahhhh, I get it now.  You may want to stick to Kindle books.   :D  I like the feel of them in my hand and the way the old ones smell.  I could go on and on.

I'm dyslexic and being able to make the font old lady size has changed reading for me forever. 

Also, I do have one 5 tear(?) bookshelf of just books already.

Eta: And 2 more shelves of kids books.

• Like 1

I'm dyslexic and being able to make the font old lady size has changed reading for me forever. 

Also, I do have one 5 tear(?) bookshelf of just books already.

Eta: And 2 more shelves of kids books.

tier  

I am old so it seems helpful to get the font larger.  Instead, I just wear reading glasses.  :D

• Like 1

just checking in.

I have 210 lbs of dogs.

I'm following Slache on pinterest.

I'm eating soup with alarmingly large beans in it. The size of big mandarin orange segments. Feel like an odd vegan for not really loving them.

Okay vegan girl, it is fortuitous that you stopped in because my dad gave me two pounds of dried organic garbanzo beans, and I am at a loss.  He's always throwing me these curve balls.  What would you do in my shoes?  (Not vegan or vegetarian here, but I need a bean expert and you will do!)

Oh but I'm the vegan that detests cooking...  I love chickpeas though!

Dried beans are not my forte (though I love growing them & playing with them. We used to have a whole bunch of different colored beans that we grew & the kids used instead of a rice table & for counting... Now I'm getting maudlin & sentimental. Where have my babies gone??????)

I think I'd be tempted to cook them & then make roast chickpeas (for snacking on) with some & use the rest for a chana masala

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/oven-roasted-chickpeas/

http://cookieandkate.com/2014/quick-vegan-chana-masala/

& how to cook the suckers in the first place: http://thewimpyvegetarian.com/my-pantry/cooking-chickpeas-from-a-dried-form/

Oh but I'm the vegan that detests cooking...  I love chickpeas though!

Dried beans are not my forte (though I love growing them & playing with them. We used to have a whole bunch of different colored beans that we grew & the kids used instead of a rice table & for counting... Now I'm getting maudlin & sentimental. Where have my babies gone??????)

I think I'd be tempted to cook them & then make roast chickpeas (for snacking on) with some & use the rest for a chana masala

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/oven-roasted-chickpeas/

http://cookieandkate.com/2014/quick-vegan-chana-masala/

& how to cook the suckers in the first place: http://thewimpyvegetarian.com/my-pantry/cooking-chickpeas-from-a-dried-form/

Thank you!  I have garam masala.  Love the warmth and spice of Indian food.  :)

• Like 1

Okay vegan girl, it is fortuitous that you stopped in because my dad gave me two pounds of dried organic garbanzo beans, and I am at a loss.  He's always throwing me these curve balls.  What would you do in my shoes?  (Not vegan or vegetarian here, but I need a bean expert and you will do!)

Chickpeas are hummus waiting to happen.  Mmmm, hummus.  And you can make it Indian-flavorish, with a curry blend or garam masala.  I don't know that there's a wrong way to make hummus.  Mmmm, hummus.  I think I'm gonna go fire up the Vita Mix now!

• Like 2

Chickpeas are hummus waiting to happen.  Mmmm, hummus.  And you can make it Indian-flavorish, with a curry blend or garam masala.  I don't know that there's a wrong way to make hummus.  Mmmm, hummus.  I think I'm gonna go fire up the Vita Mix now!

I also like hummus.

We are bursting at the seams in the fridge and freezer and overflow garage freezer department due to various things all at once, but as soon as I can, I will be addressing my garbanzo/chickpea situation.

I have already decided that I am hosting a summer gathering of the fabulous people here in the "Ignore this thread!" thread so please clear your calendars.

Oh, and can we watch "The Princess Bride?"  I'll bring duct tape, so Slash can't get away.

• Like 5

Ooooh! Ooooh!  I want to come too. I posted way back on page 2, I think, and revealed what this whole thread was about. :laugh:

Also I have read every single post, and even searched this thread to find the ninja ball video. It is on page 20. :lol:

So I am very dedicated and I have always wanted to try hummus. 

This is taking a lot of courage because I love to stay at home,  and I have no friends. :leaving:

• Like 4

Ooooh! Ooooh!  I want to come too. I posted way back on page 2, I think, and revealed what this whole thread was about. :laugh:

Also I have read every single post, and even searched this thread to find the ninja ball video. It is on page 20. :lol:

So I am very dedicated and I have always wanted to try hummus. 

This is taking a lot of courage because I love to stay at home,  and I have no friends. :leaving:

You had me at self-deprecating humor.  It gets me every time.  You are in.  :)

• Like 3

just checking in.

I have 210 lbs of dogs.

I'm following Slache on pinterest.

I'm eating soup with alarmingly large beans in it. The size of big mandarin orange segments. Feel like an odd vegan for not really loving them.

Are you m?

Is this why I can't make hummus?

Oh, and can we watch "The Princess Bride?"  I'll bring duct tape, so Slash can't get away.

I'll watch the movie, but please no duct tape. I can't go through that again.