Menu

Ignore this thread!

(Insert bad word here) (And no, Slache, you don't get to tell us what it is). My health insurance company just sent me a letter telling me that they are pulling out of the state.

$&(%#^##+£¥

There you go, Jeannie!! Some bad words for you!

• Like 2

There have been lots of in-neighborhood black bear sightings as well, the last few months. I haven't seen a single one of those either!

We haven't had any raccoons around, either. I think there's more food down by the river thanks to our wet winter.

School planning is done. The children are yapping about everything from the heat, to the chores, to the lack of creative talent, to my assertion that dinner will be sandwiches. I don't think I'll have writing time now. It's time to walk dogs, and then clean up.

Maybe this evening. Sigh.

• Like 2

I was also at a used bookstore.  The guy checking me out commented on my "interesting assortment" of books.  I said, yeah, my taste is all over the place.  He asked if I was a teacher?  Which is funny, because none of the books were really school books at all - although I picked up for DS's summer reading.  But I said, sort of, I homeschool.  He did not seem the least weirded out by that.  I must give off a subtle vibe.  Or maybe it was just that I did not jump down his throat when he kept messing up the discount at the register. (How hard is it figure out 10%? - and with a register!)

• Like 4

Nothing is going on here. I have nothing to report. The kids are playing with their friends. I am....(Educational Content Ahead: Trigger Warning. Reported.) working on tweaking History Odyssey Middle Ages. It seems to be going well. I think I have successfully merged it with Famous Men of the Middle Ages, included some Art videos from Great Courses and a few other things.

I'd be interested in your tweaked plan. What level HO did you start with?

• Like 1

Trying to teach children to turn off the light is an exercise in futility. I just gave up.

And now I need to go turn off a bathroom light.

My son turns off the lights! I trained him well. So well, in fact, that he even sometimes turns off the one I'm using to read. :( Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

So. . . I have an hour before going to pick ds up from work.  I need to figure out dinner quick.  Hmmm.  I have a cooked chicken breast.  I'm going to make some rice.  And I have frozen veggies to toss in the micro.  That means that I have time to wash the goat.  And stop at the bank on the way to get ds.  It means though that I did not get to camp lessons today.  I didn't slack.  I was taking care of household business all day.  But oh well.  Perhaps I can get two lessons done tomorrow? 

• Like 3

I went to the AFSA. They have all the school supplies out now. I found some super cute pastel polka dot sticky tabs that made me way happier than it should've.

I think I'm sick. My head is pounding and I keep coughing up gross stuff. I'm in bed in the dark. DH is in charge of keeping the kiddos alive today.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I hope you're feeling better!

• Like 1

I'd be interested in your tweaked plan. What level HO did you start with?

Level Two. I tweaked it so many times I'm kind of not sure what it looks like right now. Basically, I threw in a lot of Famous Men of the Middle Ages and Famous Men of the Renaissance. I re-vamped some of the writing assignments. I felt like some days the assignments were huge and some days they were tiny, and I'm not sure if the tiny assignments were so they could finish up some of the huge assignments..... DD did my version of HO Ancients last year and seemed to like it. She loved doing the timeline, which was basically long strips of paper on the wall and she cut index cards in half and wrote the date and drew a little picture of whatever it was we were putting on it. She thought that was fun. Although as a timeline it is not exactly accurate because it's basically a chronology of what we studied, not really a timeline with the dates and years accurately depicted.
  • Like 1

Dd's "heart issues ". (Celiac issues?) are escalating again at day camp. She had to leave part of today's field trip because she felt so bad.

I'm not sure if you've described them here before, but I was wondering if it could be chest wall pain (costochondritis)? I've had that, more than once, and I swear that some day I'm going to have a heart attack and misattribute it to it (on the bright side, nobody on the ITT is allowed to die, so I'll be fine):

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/costochondritis/basics/definition/con-20024454

• Like 1

Dd's "heart issues ". (Celiac issues?) are escalating again at day camp. She had to leave part of today's field trip because she felt so bad.

Sorry to just jump in here, because you don't know me, but I've followed this thread off and on for a few months, and this caught my eye. On this board the other day, Chrysalis Academy (Rose) posted something about her DD being sick and having very similar symptoms to your DD. She said it was some form of Dysautonomia. When I looked that up, it sounded even more similar. It is autoimmune in nature, and always involves dizziness, shortness of breath, unstable blood pressure, and an abnormal heart rate.

So sorry to jump into a conversation that has nothing to do with me, but I just wanted you to know in case this was something the doctors hadn't looked into yet. My DS was diagnosed with Type-1 Diabetes this past year, and I figured it out before the doctors did, so I know this can be a lonely and frustrating road to walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by caayenne
  • Like 6

"Mom, you know, I've been thinking about treating my pumpkins, and while the cup measure works well for my young plants, I really think I need something bigger for the long vines. You know, one of those big sprayers."

Buy a boy a pack of pumpkin seeds...I'm telling you!

• Like 6

I would also just like to say, you ladies are very entertaining! I don't often post on the board because I spend too much time reading posts as it is, but thank you for the hilarious, engrossing, and insightful conversations. 😊

Edited by caayenne
  • Like 9

We decided to hike a trail out to the Pooh-Sticks Bridge (so named because it is perfect for playing Pooh-Sticks on), and then swung around the pond and out to the shore.

We have a Pooh-sticks bridge, too. That's a fun game. We haven't been up there in a while, though.
  • Like 1

I would also just like to say, you ladies are very entertaining! I don't often post on the board because I spend too much time reading posts as it is, but thank you for the hilarious, engrossing, and insightful conversations. 😊

Glad you could join us!! Stop by and play again sometime.

Booya/h!!

(I just felt like a simple, unembellished Booya/h today. Standing alone and beautiful in its simplicity)

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 9

I have a headache.$&%^# poor air quality. There's like a gazillion acres burning in the Valley, and being a valley and all, the air doesn't clear out and we just sit here and breath smoky, cooked air. I have no idea why on earth my ancestors decided to move to this ........ place.😡😡🔥🔥🔥😩😩☀ï¸â˜€ï¸â˜€ï¸

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

The kids survived their first day of camp. And they had fun! I seriously got no complaints at all when picking them up and no whining about going back tomorrow. They didn't even seem tired until we got home and then they crashed. 

One is sun burnt.  :sad: He burns super easily and while the staff was good about reminders and his face and neck weren't burnt, he missed a few spots on his arms and legs- just small areas. Hopefully he won't get worse. I haven't been able to find a long sleeve rash guard for older kids anywhere locally. 

• Like 7

Supplies are put away. I had a few "what the heck was I thinking when I made my list?" Moments but nothing too expensive. This is what comes of having no dedicated place available and squirreling supplies away in odd corners and then forgetting about them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, like we wouldn't have any idea what that is like around here....   :leaving:

• Like 1

:crying:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Sorry to just jump in here, because you don't know me, but I've followed this thread off and on for a few months, and this caught my eye. On this board the other day, Chrysalis Academy (Rose) posted something about her DD being sick and having very similar symptoms to your DD. She said it was some form of Dysautonomia. When I looked that up, it sounded even more similar. It is autoimmune in nature, and always involves dizziness, shortness of breath, unstable blood pressure, and an abnormal heart rate.

So sorry to jump into a conversation that has nothing to do with me, but I just wanted you to know in case this was something the doctors hadn't looked into yet. My DS was diagnosed with Type-1 Diabetes this past year, and I figured it out before the doctors did, so I know this can be a lonely and frustrating road to walk.

Welcome here, caayenne!  This sounds interesting.  Thanks for sharing!

Whatcha think, Jean?

• Like 2

Come hang out with us more often!

• Like 1

The kids survived their first day of camp. And they had fun! I seriously got no complaints at all when picking them up and no whining about going back tomorrow. They didn't even seem tired until we got home and then they crashed. 

One is sun burnt.  :sad: He burns super easily and while the staff was good about reminders and his face and neck weren't burnt, he missed a few spots on his arms and legs- just small areas. Hopefully he won't get worse. I haven't been able to find a long sleeve rash guard for older kids anywhere locally. 

Hooray, they had fun!  

If your DS burns easily try slathering him thoroughly a good half-hour before you drop him off, then slather again thoroughly at drop-off.  He'll still need to reapply, but the double-whammy at the start of the day will hopefully delay the start of the day's dose of burning.

Don't forget scalp, too.  My brother (would burn if you shone a flashlight on him) had lusciously thick red hair, and he still had to slather his scalp.

• Like 1