Menu

Ignore this thread!

Because I'm procrastinating ..... here's an educational post....

So, I think my 13yo and 11yo will both be doing Algebra 1 next year. And I like Derek Owens (13yo is using DO pre-algebra this year). But I don't want them using the same text/program. So, only one of them can use DO (probably 13yo). So, what to use with 11yo. I have a Foerster Alg. 1 on hand. I could possibly teach him myself, but I think he likes being a little more independent and I like the accountability of someone else's schedule, which problems to assign, and videos. So, I was looking at Math Without Borders. I watched 2 minutes of a youtube sample. Man, is it dry and slow. My 11yo moves at the speed of light and I'm not sure he has the stomach for it. I'll probably finish watching the sample before I rule it out entirely, but it's not looking promising so far. Additionally, my 11yo (will be 7th next year) could take two years to do Algebra, but I don't want to go into the the first year of it half-a$$ing it just because we know we could take the 2nd year, kwim? If I thought there was something out there that would be better for my 13yo, I would consider it, but I don't know what that would be. (11yo ds is fairly mathy; 13yo dd is not at all.) Any thoughts?

How about Jann in Texas? Or were you not looking for live?

• Like 3

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Because I'm procrastinating .....  here's an educational post....

So, I think my 13yo and 11yo will both be doing Algebra 1 next year.  And I like Derek Owens (13yo is using DO pre-algebra this year).  But I don't want them using the same text/program.  So, only one of them can use DO (probably 13yo).  So, what to use with 11yo.  I have a Foerster Alg. 1 on hand.  I could possibly teach him myself, but I think he likes being a little more independent and I like the accountability of someone else's schedule, which problems to assign, and videos.  So, I was looking at Math Without Borders.  I watched 2 minutes of a youtube sample.  Man, is it dry and slow.  My 11yo moves at the speed of light and I'm not sure he has the stomach for it.  I'll probably finish watching the sample before I rule it out entirely, but it's not looking promising so far.  Additionally, my 11yo (will be 7th next year) could take two years to do Algebra, but I don't want to go into the the first year of it half-a$$ing it just because we know we could take the 2nd year, kwim?  If I thought there was something out there that would be better for my 13yo, I would consider it, but I don't know what that would be.  (11yo ds is fairly mathy; 13yo dd is not at all.)  Any thoughts?

Lynn:  I have Math Without Borders around here somewhere (which I bought and never used; more "what if AoPS doesn't work" anticipatory panic).  If you decide to use it, I'll send it to you.

• Like 4

Because I'm procrastinating .....  here's an educational post....

So, I think my 13yo and 11yo will both be doing Algebra 1 next year.  And I like Derek Owens (13yo is using DO pre-algebra this year).  But I don't want them using the same text/program.  So, only one of them can use DO (probably 13yo).  So, what to use with 11yo.  I have a Foerster Alg. 1 on hand.  I could possibly teach him myself, but I think he likes being a little more independent and I like the accountability of someone else's schedule, which problems to assign, and videos.  So, I was looking at Math Without Borders.  I watched 2 minutes of a youtube sample.  Man, is it dry and slow.  My 11yo moves at the speed of light and I'm not sure he has the stomach for it.  I'll probably finish watching the sample before I rule it out entirely, but it's not looking promising so far.  Additionally, my 11yo (will be 7th next year) could take two years to do Algebra, but I don't want to go into the the first year of it half-a$$ing it just because we know we could take the 2nd year, kwim?  If I thought there was something out there that would be better for my 13yo, I would consider it, but I don't know what that would be.  (11yo ds is fairly mathy; 13yo dd is not at all.)  Any thoughts?

Why can't they do the same program?  Foerster's is great.

• Like 2

Thanks for the algebra 1 ideas.  I'm not sure if I'm for or against a live class.  Maybe against.  (I'm thinking it would be less efficient?)  Good ideas, all.  

If you want efficient, there's AoPS online.  That's some UBER efficiency right there, bay-bee!

• Like 3

If you want efficient, there's AoPS online.  That's some UBER efficiency right there, bay-bee!

Quoting myself to say that I should have added a :laugh: .  It's the rare 11-year-old who, IMO, should be subjected to AoPS online.  It's a great option for some kids that age, but those "some" are few and far between!

• Like 3

JJM, 

Thank you for your generous offer and your Algebra 1 suggestions.  I'll have to look at AOPS online.  Not sure if he's a good fit for it or not, but with 2 years to play with it might not hurt to try.  I think he's probably a "cut to the chase" kid.  

The main reason I don't want them in the same program is personality issues, competitive issues, self-esteem issues on the part of one of them, etc.  

• Like 2

Lynn, if you're not in a hurry, have you considered the AoPS Pre-Algebra book? It's fabulous.  They have a class, too.  If your DS likes math, he may really enjoy it. 

If you do AoPS online algebra, I would recommend starting the book at home first to give your student a little adjustment time.  We did the first 7 or 8 chapters in the fall, then DD re-did them plus the rest of the first half of the book in the spring online class.  That worked out pretty well.

(And, actually, doing the math, he'll probably be 12 next year in 7th, right?  That would actually be about right.  Why does 11 seems so much younger? :confused1: )

• Like 2

Yes, he'll turn 12 in early August.  

I was thinking there were videos for AoPS that are free on their website - but maybe that's for Pre-Algebra?  I haven't poked around on their site for a long time.  While *I* know their pre-algebra could be well worth the time, I think he really wants to start algebra next year.  I'm not totally sure AoPs is best for him, but I'll keep it on my short list for now.  

• Like 1

Lynn, videos go through Algebra and, yes, they're freely available.  Alcumus is also freely available, so you might want to consider that as a supplement no matter which way you go.

I would suggest Lial's as a possibility, but I think it may be too simple and rote for a child who likes math.  It would probably be a good fit for your DD, but if she is liking DO it's probably better to not fix what isn't broken.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3

I am back from spring basking at the lake. While not quite as relaxing as the river, the lake offers some relaxing options not available at the riverside. Frogs. Lots and lots of singing frogs. And a million black butterflies drinking minerals at the muddy convergence of pollen green water and pine-needle strewn shore. How many times do you get to walk through whirlwinds of butterflies after all?

Time to make dinner, walk dogs and go look for magic mushrooms.

• Like 4

And a million black butterflies drinking minerals at the muddy convergence of pollen green water and pine-needle strewn shore. How many times do you get to walk through whirlwinds of butterflies after all?

Never. Never, ever, thankfully. Ever.

Critter, some of what you write is just too scary for me.

Did I mention never, ever, ever, will I be walking through whirlwinds of butterflies?

Ever. Really.

• Like 3

Lynn, videos go through Algebra and, yes, they're freely available.  Alcumus is also freely available, so you might want to consider that as a supplement no matter which way you go.

I would suggest Lial's as a possibility, but I think it may be too simple and rote for a child who likes math.  It would probably be a good fit for your DD, but if she is likely DO it's probably better to not fix what isn't broken.

::whispers::booya

• Like 3

Lynn, videos go through Algebra and, yes, they're freely available. Alcumus is also freely available, so you might want to consider that as a supplement no matter which way you go.

I would suggest Lial's as a possibility, but I think it may be too simple and rote for a child who likes math. It would probably be a good fit for your DD, but if she is likely DO it's probably better to not fix what isn't broken.

Thanks! That's helpful.

• Like 1

I am back from spring basking at the lake. While not quite as relaxing as the river, the lake offers some relaxing options not available at the riverside. Frogs. Lots and lots of singing frogs. And a million black butterflies drinking minerals at the muddy convergence of pollen green water and pine-needle strewn shore. How many times do you get to walk through whirlwinds of butterflies after all?

Time to make dinner, walk dogs and go look for magic mushrooms.

Would those be morel mushrooms? Dh is anxious for mushroom season!

• Like 2

I'm out of my closet. Safely. At one point, I heard the girls come back to the room and Dancer said, "Gymnast, I think your mom is MIA." I was looking within the deep recesses of the closet and had temporarily disappeared. Dancer said she thought I made it to Narnia. :D I was trying to go through the boxes and bags to find all the toys that had been picked up at various times. I'm wanting to organize them to give them to my sisters' kids.

• Like 5

Did I mention never, ever, ever, will I be walking through whirlwinds of butterflies?

They don't bite or sting. I have also stood in the middle of whirlwinds of honeybees, which is also a very interesting experience. Butterflies are a much safer cheap thrill.

Would those be morel mushrooms? Dh is anxious for mushroom season! 

Shh. Then everyone will know. No magic mushrooms were fruiting yet, but I'll keep looking.

• Like 4

They don't bite or sting. I have also stood in the middle of whirlwinds of honeybees, which is also a very interesting experience. Butterflies are a much safer cheap thrill.

Shh. Then everyone will know. No magic mushrooms were fruiting yet, but I'll keep looking.

~yes - never tell where your hunting spots are!

• Like 2

We were like way down on the board. I actually had to scroll down!

I love mushrooms, and I like hunting for them. I cannot find them though.

We (dh and I) took the tlih out to eat for her birthday. She has no tolerance for children, so dd17 stayed home with the twins. She is doing well, gaining some weight and seems happy. She still talks about going home. I just changed the subject. I have told her several times that it is not possible to go home for many, many reasons. She is doing well, and I know this is the best place for her.

• Like 5

We were like way down on the board. I actually had to scroll down!

I love mushrooms, and I like hunting for them. I cannot find them though.

We (dh and I) took the tlih out to eat for her birthday. She has no tolerance for children, so dd17 stayed home with the twins. She is doing well, gaining some weight and seems happy. She still talks about going home. I just changed the subject. I have told her several times that it is not possible to go home for many, many reasons. She is doing well, and I know this is the best place for her.

I'm glad she is being taken care of!

• Like 2

Hi, Dawn!!!!! I can't remember who tilh is.

"The lady I help"

Yes. The lady I help. She is mentally disabled, epilepsy, COPD, etc. She was our neighbor, and before her husband died he asked my mom to care for her. Her children are basket cases, and I don't have anything nice to say about them. Imagine the worst people you have ever heard of. Then imagine worse. That is her children, a son in law, and a couple of grandchildren. I hate to say bad things about people, and talk about them. But her grandson was convicted of child molestation of a 12 year old, and that is not the worst part of it all. Anyways.... My mom was her guardian for years. Then mom's health gradually declined, and I gradually took on more and more responsibility for her until I was doing it all. Then I became her legal guardian.

Looking back, if I could do it over, I would have done things differently. I didn't want her to have to rely on her children though. Sometimes I wonder if I have done the best for her. I think I have. I have done what I have be able to do. That's more than you wanted to know. :D Jean summed it up better.;)

I'm glad she is being taken care of!

Me too! :) Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 6

Yes. The lady I help. She is mentally disabled, epilepsy, COPD, etc. She was our neighbor, and before her husband died he asked my mom to care for her. Her children are basket cases, and I don't have anything nice to say about them. Imagine the worst people you have ever heard of. Then imagine worse. That is her children, a son in law, and a couple of grandchildren. I hate to say bad things about people, and talk about them. But her grandson was convicted of child molestation of a 12 year old, and that is not the worst part of it all. Anyways.... My mom was her guardian for years. Then mom's health gradually declined, and I gradually took on more and more responsibility for her until I was doing it all. Then I became her legal guardian.

Looking back, if I could do it over, I would have done things differently. I didn't want her to have to rely on her children though. Sometimes I wonder if I have done the best for her. I think I have. I have done what I have be able to do. That's more than you wanted to know. :D Jean summed it up better. ;)

Me too! :)

Dawn, you are an amazingly beautiful human being.  I hope you realize that.

• Like 5