• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Power is out. Apparently, a car hit a post.

And I am perimenapausal.

That is all.

We rarely get power outages anymore since they put all the power lines underground in the new neighborhoods.

I think I'm slipping from peri- to full-blown. I haven't had AF since October. It's been nice.

• Like 4

Noise kept me up. That and the rough day Saturday. But I'm taking Monday off from school and that should help with my mood. Evidently the old cat feels that now is a good time to nap. She's snoring on the bed. She woke me up a time or two snoring last night.

I'm sorry Critter! Hope you can take it easy and get some good rest today.
  • Like 1

Yesterday I finally finished reading the book on Stalin I've been trudging through. It was a tough read, but fascinating. The guy was every bit the monster that Hitler was, he thrived on violence and bloodshed, yet...somehow everyone knows more about Hitler than Stalin. I've been trying to figure out why. I'm starting to formulate some theories, though.

• Like 3

I am ketchupped. NOBODY MOVE! :P

DH fixed the dishwasher. Yay for YouTube, because I want that thing to work a lot longer.

The weather is disconcertingly warm. I want to enjoy it, but we only had like a week of Real Winter this year. I'm going to try a serious veggie garden, so a good year for bugs is a bad year for me.

• Like 7

Yesterday I finally finished reading the book on Stalin I've been trudging through. It was a tough read, but fascinating. The guy was every bit the monster that Hitler was, he thrived on violence and bloodshed, yet...somehow everyone knows more about Hitler than Stalin. I've been trying to figure out why. I'm starting to formulate some theories, though.

Have you read Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys? It's a beautifully written and disturbing novel set during WWII in the USSR. Based on that novel, I'd say it was because it simply was not widely known until the collapse of communism there. Because the Soviet regime was so long lasting after the war, no one talked about it (lest you and your family be sent to prison and tortured like Solzhenitsyn) and after the collapse, people just wanted to forget and get on with their lives.

I highly recommend the book.

• Like 4

I left at 7 this morning for church because I played for the early and later services. Got home a bit before 1, ate lunch, had more coffee, picked up books at the library, and then came home and kicked all the kids outside to play in the nice weather.

I am now going to take a nap. Zzzzzzzzzz

BooooooZzzzzzzzyahzzzzzzzzzzz

Sing the song and all.....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

70 degrees here. We are at the park. It's packed!

Random little girl sat next me. (I mean right next to me; at first I thought she had just sat thinking I was her mom or something.) She then talked to me for 5 minutes straight about everything she could think of. So now I know some total stranger's business about their puppy who poops all over their house and her brother Junior has to clean it up.

Longest 5 minutes ever. I now know why Slache drives away without her kids. LOL

Mine does not talk that much. Like ever.

• Like 7

I think we tend to look at history through a very Western prism.  World War II, for example, was far more horrifying viewed from the East.  I read this recently and found it to be a good synopsis of Russian history.

Have you read Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys? It's a beautifully written and disturbing novel set during WWII in the USSR. Based on that novel, I'd say it was because it simply was not widely known until the collapse of communism there. Because the Soviet regime was so long lasting after the war, no one talked about it (lest you and your family be sent to prison and tortured like Solzhenitsyn) and after the collapse, people just wanted to forget and get on with their lives.

I highly recommend the book.

Looks interesting.  Thanks, Susan!

• Like 2

I did not waterfall. Vacuuming a hallway, living room and then dining room took me all day. I do it in spurts and then rest. I decided that it was my functional workout yesterday.

Well, okay then.  Since you were careful and did it in spurts.

I'm sorry you didn't get back to your waterfall.  It looked lovely!

• Like 1

We rarely get power outages anymore since they put all the power lines underground in the new neighborhoods.

I think I'm slipping from peri- to full-blown. I haven't had AF since October. It's been nice.

I wish they could put the lines underground here -- protection from storms, less visual clutter -- but the water table is too high and flooding too likely when it rains heavily.  NOTHING that can't stand submersion goes underground here.

Congrats on relenting symptoms/issues!  I have thoroughly enjoyed the bulk of full-blown.  A lot less hassle all around.

I did not sleep and have given up. The FND-O kids are here and someone has to keep an ear wide open for when the boy starts scream-cursing over the video game they are playing. They played nicely with sidewalk chalk for a while.

On Friday when we went to a park to read, I was sitting at a metal picnic table and when I got up I got this huge static shock on my hand that made two fingers go numb. This morning while I was playing in church they started getting tingly-numb again and a friend said it sounds like something with this nerve that runs from your elbow to your pinky and that I should be real careful with it. They felt fine after a while but now they are numb again. 🙄

Thank you. Everyone here is in mourning. Except me and middle DD. I think we are both of the same emotional make up. I mean, I'm sad and everything, it's not easy, but.... I refuse to dwell and wallow.

Everyone grieves in their own way.     :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I suspect, for the U.S. at least, that it's because of the aftermath of WWII and what followed (the nature of relations with the USSR).

So what was the book?  I forget if you mentioned it.  I'm curious, and would like to learn a bit more myself.

I did not sleep and have given up. The FND-O kids are here and someone has to keep an ear wide open for when the boy starts scream-cursing over the video game they are playing. They played nicely with sidewalk chalk for a while.

On Friday when we went to a park to read, I was sitting at a metal picnic table and when I got up I got this huge static shock on my hand that made two fingers go numb. This morning while I was playing in church they started getting tingly-numb again and a friend said it sounds like something with this nerve that runs from your elbow to your pinky and that I should be real careful with it. They felt fine after a while but now they are numb again. 🙄

Hmm, maybe you should get that looked at, just to be sure nothing was damaged.  You don't want to take chances with your hands.

I am surprised at the strength of the shock you got from the table.  Was the metal bare, lacking any coating?

Edited by AMJ

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I was out of town this weekend with the girls for a swim meet.  We got home around noon and I slept an hour or two - like the dead.  I was exhausted.  I'm hoping to still go to bed reasonable early.  I think oldest dd is down for the night.  

Some of our stuff is off tomorrow and some is still on.  So nice to have a slightly slower day!!

• Like 4

Now we are at another part of the park, and I am sitting on a longish concrete bench. A handful of other parents are also sitting here.

This boy, maybe around 5? Starts walking along the bench, and when he gets to me he climbs right over my back, steps on my purse, and keeps going. I'm like, WTH? I can still feel the pressure of him on my back. His mom following along with him SAYS NOTHING!!! Yes, I'm yelling. So rude. Some people.

Edited to remove all the so's starting my sentences. :)

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

Now we are at another part of the park, and I am sitting on a longish concrete bench. A handful of other parents are also sitting here.

This boy, maybe around 5? Starts walking along the bench, and when he gets to me he climbs right over my back, steps on my purse, and keeps going. I'm like, WTH? I can still feel the pressure of him on my back. His mom following along with him SAYS NOTHING!!! Yes, I'm yelling. So rude. Some people.

So, I think you deserve to start all your sentences with "so."  That is ridiculous!!!  Who does not care about teaching their children to be considerate of others?  Whatever ills people may think our country faces, this is the one that will be our undoing.  

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 6

I have no qualms telling children that it is impolite to crawl on people and they need to say excuse me. And then give the teacher look. Which may upgrade to mama look depending on circumstances.

• Like 5

This is why I don't do things.
  • Like 3

I have no qualms telling children that it is impolite to crawl on people and they need to say excuse me. And then give the teacher look. Which may upgrade to mama look depending on circumstances.

I have no qualms doing that, either, normally. I was just so shocked. The had moved on before I had a chance to recover from it.

• Like 3