• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Krissi, does your son have any LDs or ADD? Something that might benefit from a program specifically targeting that?

No, he doesn't have ADD or LDs. He tests right at average. I've been reading a book and it seems like he has some trouble with Executive Function, so we are working on that.
  • Like 2

We are done with school today. I'm still a little queasy, which makes cooking not very exciting. But I have to get a little cooking done today.

Housekeeping is done. I had fun arguing with stubborn writers about the study of grammar actually being pretty good for writers to indulge in once and a while. I also checked the grade level readability score for a few passages from my novel. I'm hitting a solid seventh for most of the writing, and flirting with eighth for some of it. I'm supposed to be aiming for sixth for widest readership. Sigh.

I'm not elitist--I don't think I am anyway--but that's a little disheartening to me as a reader and a writer.

• Like 1

So.

I found this for John https://www.timberdoodle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=627-500 He's really into human anatomy and likes *things* so it's perfect. It's also $13, so booya. *But* it's $8 shipping and that just bothers me. I love the item and I'm willing to pay $21 for it, but I don't want to pay $8 for shipping. It's only going to cost $3 to ship, so why should I pay $8? My life is very hard.

• Like 1

So.

I found this for John https://www.timberdoodle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=627-500 He's really into human anatomy and likes *things* so it's perfect. It's also $13, so booya. *But* it's $8 shipping and that just bothers me. I love the item and I'm willing to pay $21 for it, but I don't want to pay $8 for shipping. It's only going to cost $3 to ship, so why should I pay $8? My life is very hard.

This is why I try to bundle all of my orders into 1x a year. It makes it easier to pay one shipping price. I cringed over having to make CLE orders 2x in a year--same deal--hate seeing the cost of shipping!

This is why I try to bundle all of my orders into 1x a year. It makes it easier to pay one shipping price. I cringed over having to make CLE orders 2x in a year--same deal--hate seeing the cost of shipping!

I'm thinking I should just order a lot. You know, so shipping doesn't seem like so much. It makes sense.

• Like 2

So. . . yesterday dd was supposed to do only biology because of the cardiac testing.  But she was fainting all over the place in the morning and it didn't get done.  I did not nag her later but I noticed that she did not do it later when she was feeling better.  So this morning she was crying because she was feeling overwhelmed and she works this afternoon.  I was sympathetic but pointed out that I warned her of not having time for school when she took this job.  And school gets priority and does not get thrown out every time she is feeling overwhelmed.  And that perhaps she's going to have to do some schoolwork in the evenings and the weekends like 90% of the teenage population.  (I only scheduled 4 days of work this week except for biology which needed a fifth day because of the way the book is scheduled.)

I'm not being too hard nosed am I?  I don't think that I am.  But my natural inclination is to go softer on the kids rather than the other way. 

• Like 4

So. . . yesterday dd was supposed to do only biology because of the cardiac testing.  But she was fainting all over the place in the morning and it didn't get done.  I did not nag her later but I noticed that she did not do it later when she was feeling better.  So this morning she was crying because she was feeling overwhelmed and she works this afternoon.  I was sympathetic but pointed out that I warned her of not having time for school when she took this job.  And school gets priority and does not get thrown out every time she is feeling overwhelmed.  And that perhaps she's going to have to do some schoolwork in the evenings and the weekends like 90% of the teenage population.  (I only scheduled 4 days of work this week except for biology which needed a fifth day because of the way the book is scheduled.)

I'm not being too hard nosed am I?  I don't think that I am.  But my natural inclination is to go softer on the kids rather than the other way. 

No. She's not 3. She needs to learn this lesson before she moves out or it will hurt much worse.

• Like 2

No. You are not being too hard nosed. Because it can be overwhelming to think of all that must be done, it can be helpful to help her break it down. What can she do on Saturday? What can be done on Sunday? How long will those subjects take to compete? What time of the day would work best? Sometimes that helps with the overwhelm.

• Like 2

We have these issues here too.  ***hugs****

FWIW, ds fell a month behind--somehow in the chaos--in January.  I just spent a week catching him up. He was whiny about it, but we did nights/Saturdays until it was done. I usually bring a snack to the school table, do a bit more hand-holding than usual, and reinforce that schoolwork is her main job, and an essential part of her day. The social bits are the fluff that wrap around.

• Like 2

I have said these.exact.words.  And I, too, make efforts to accommodate a crowded schedule.

You are not being hard nosed.  Fourteen can just be very, very challenging.  When we go to the island on vacation, we can lock our girls in the same cage and they can compare Mean Mommy notes.

• Like 3

We are done with school today. I'm still a little queasy, which makes cooking not very exciting. But I have to get a little cooking done today.

Housekeeping is done. I had fun arguing with stubborn writers about the study of grammar actually being pretty good for writers to indulge in once and a while. I also checked the grade level readability score for a few passages from my novel. I'm hitting a solid seventh for most of the writing, and flirting with eighth for some of it. I'm supposed to be aiming for sixth for widest readership. Sigh.

I'm not elitist--I don't think I am anyway--but that's a little disheartening to me as a reader and a writer.

You are to shoot for 6th grade level of readers for widest reading?  That just sounds disheartening.  Write YOU, okay?  The readers will be there.  The most enduringly popular stuff has depth, growth, and appeals to an age range that spans many decades and stages of life.  If the wording is a little challenging that makes it all the more satisfying to read because the brain worked a bit.  If the read is too easy it will be viewed as only "kids' stuff".  It might be popular among the young crowd, but the range of audience reading it will be limited.

Besides, the language of the story selects itself for the large part, doesn't it?  Trying to simplify things for easier reading will alter the story itself.

• Like 4

You are not being hard-nosed.  One of the important lessons the bulk of teens this age must learn is how to start planning ahead to get their bases covered.  Both my DDs are having periodic issues with this this year, though DD15 is (sometimes) starting to show some signs of pulling out of it.

• Like 2

I have said these.exact.words.  And I, too, make efforts to accommodate a crowded schedule.

You are not being hard nosed.  Fourteen can just be very, very challenging.  When we go to the island on vacation, we can lock our girls in the same cage and they can compare Mean Mommy notes.

And fifteen.

And sixteen.

And seventeen.

And...I haven't gotten that far yet.

Children - especially teen girls - are not allowed on our island.  :toetap05:

• Like 6

You are to shoot for 6th grade level of readers for widest reading?  That just sounds disheartening.  Write YOU, okay?  The readers will be there.  The most enduringly popular stuff has depth, growth, and appeals to an age range that spans many decades and stages of life.  If the wording is a little challenging that makes it all the more satisfying to read because the brain worked a bit.  If the read is too easy it will be viewed as only "kids' stuff".  It might be popular among the young crowd, but the range of audience reading it will be limited.

I thought it sounded kind of bleak. It made me feel bad for readers. I like a little stretch when I read, too.

• Like 1

You are not being hard-nosed.  One of the important lessons the bulk of teens this age must learn is how to start planning ahead to get their bases covered.  Both my DDs are having periodic issues with this this year, though DD15 is (sometimes) starting to show some signs of pulling out of it.

Yes.  But this is Events Planner, who as her name suggests, is very good at planning ahead.  What's difficult for me is the illness aspect.  But. . . there is a decent chance that what is going on is long term (the cardiologist hasn't called me yet).  And I've had to learn how to still cope at some level despite years of pain and illness.  But. . . I can relate to how much it sucks (yes, I said sucks) to feel poorly and yet still have things to do.  But. . .  then I see dd power through when she's doing volunteer events with her friends and I think, hmmm. . . how can you manage to do all this when you feel yucky but if it is schoolwork, you are in tears saying that you can't do it?  Not that it happens every day - but sometimes.  So I'm stuck trying to strike this balance between pushing her some and yet being the soft pillow to fall on as well. 

• Like 4

During our very brief stint in public school, I was introduced to the "Accelerated Reader" program.  Horrifying.  Books for children are mass-produced and are expected to conform to rigid guidelines about sentence length and complexity, with dumbed-down vocabulary to boot.  Going by the modern standards, Pippi Longstocking books were, if I recall correctly, written on an 8th grade level.  It's pathetic.  How the heck are children to acquire reading skills if everything is just so...uniform?

Just write your book, Critter, and have faith that readers can handle it.

• Like 6

Yes.  But this is Events Planner, who as her name suggests, is very good at planning ahead.  What's difficult for me is the illness aspect.  But. . . there is a decent chance that what is going on is long term (the cardiologist hasn't called me yet).  And I've had to learn how to still cope at some level despite years of pain and illness.  But. . . I can relate to how much it sucks (yes, I said sucks) to feel poorly and yet still have things to do.  But. . .  then I see dd power through when she's doing volunteer events with her friends and I think, hmmm. . . how can you manage to do all this when you feel yucky but if it is schoolwork, you are in tears saying that you can't do it?  Not that it happens every day - but sometimes.  So I'm stuck trying to strike this balance between pushing her some and yet being the soft pillow to fall on as well. 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Mommying is hard sometimes. :sad:

• Like 2

I think you know her well enough to know if she is struggling a lot physically and she is choosing to be with friends because that is a life-giving thing to her or whether she is just feeling poorly generally and she'd rather watch youtube and play with the bunnies and do all of the fun things than work.  There is a balance---but if this is her life---she needs to start figuring out how to find that in a sustaining way.

• Like 3

So, I signed up for that HP Instant Ink service thingy on Jan. 30, with the 100 pages a month for $4.99. I'm currently at 90 pages. :leaving: Imma thinking I may need to go up to the 300 pages a month plan for $9.99. What do ya'll think?

Even if you go over your limit, it's still cheaper than buying ink at the store. I think the overage is 10 cents for 20 pages. I go over all the time.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This morning I tried to wake dd8 up by unburying her from her mound of blankets. Her response? "The Light! It burns us!"  :rolleyes: 

:lol: She and I would get along.

During our very brief stint in public school, I was introduced to the "Accelerated Reader" program.  Horrifying.  Books for children are mass-produced and are expected to conform to rigid guidelines about sentence length and complexity, with dumbed-down vocabulary to boot.  Going by the modern standards, Pippi Longstocking books were, if I recall correctly, written on an 8th grade level.  It's pathetic.  How the heck are children to acquire reading skills if everything is just so...uniform?

See, the way I feel about it is that I wish I was writing at a higher level than I am! I figure there is so much I still need to learn when it comes to telling stories and building great sentences with great vocabulary. 

But I don't see myself changing my style all that much. I think I'd lose a lot of what I love in writing if I did that. 

• Like 4

I have a tickly nose--worried I am coming down with something. Any good home cures? 

Tea.  :laugh:  No, seriously. Heat a pot of water, make a cup of tea and sit there and sniff the steam for a while. Higher heat in the nasal passages may kill some viruses.

• Like 5

I have beef stew going in my instant pot and dh should be home from work by 8.

I have a tickly nose--worried I am coming down with something. Any good home cures?

Essential oils. :D No, really. Tea tree oil kills bacteria, even in the air. I put drops in a pot of water and have it on low simmer.

Like Critter said, teas. Manzanilla and yerba buena are good (chamomile and spearmint).

Hot lemonade. Make fresh lemonade and add powdered red chile pepper (cayenne). :D

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

Yeah, I get it.  And sometimes when we are facing something we really want to rebel against but can't we decide to rebel against what we can, if only for a little while.  It doesn't make it any easier, though we can feel just a tad less powerless for a moment.

Hugs all around.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

:lol: She and I would get along.

See, the way I feel about it is that I wish I was writing at a higher level than I am! I figure there is so much I still need to learn when it comes to telling stories and building great sentences with great vocabulary. 

But I don't see myself changing my style all that much. I think I'd lose a lot of what I love in writing if I did that. 

Don't worry about the level you are writing at.  Let the stories flow and find their own language.  Yours will develop over time, gaining complexity and nuances.  The timeless and ageless writing can be read by such a wide audience because it speaks well, not because it speaks hi-falutin'.  Eloquence will come; just keep writing.

• Like 1