Menu

Ignore this thread!

Disney World/Land - there's not enough money in this world to make me want to go to either one. Just say no. So many better things to do with $4000. Jmho. 😂

I think we spent $4k or less on our month-long trip to NL last Nov/Dec. It was like $1750 in plane tickets for the four of us, a couple hundred for long term parking at the Toronto airport, E500 for the camping, E60 for an adult museum card and E32 per kids' card (DW didn't get a card, because she didn't come with us to every place (she worked from camping a number of days) - we paid the entrance fee for her at a couple of places), then, some train costs, some entrance fees for places that did not participate in the museum card thing (the card is good for a year at participating museums), and we ate out a bit more often than usual. Now, we did manage to borrow a camper and bicycles from family and occasionally my parents' car, but still... we could've rented a car for a month for under E600, and likewise I saw some campers for rent for not insanely much (or, alternatively, instead of renting a camper and a camping spot, renting a cabin in the off-season isn't crazy expensive either). The euro wasn't very strong at that time though... exchange rates matter so much with vacations abroad. It's a bit stronger now. Still, it was more affordable than I would've thought (I was especially pleasantly surprised by how cheap the plane tickets were). Also, food is cheap in NL! So long as you buy it at the grocery store... restaurants are expensive. 

• Like 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Oh, and we had to get a new gas canister once for the camper... but, since we could turn the heater way down back in NY, it probably didn't matter much in the end. Just like the food probably didn't matter much.

I want to go back in June or something. It would help if we knew if we're going to move tho. 

If you find a way to do Disney on $-13, please do let us know!

I've never been to Disney. My in-laws took the kids a few years back when DW had a conference to attend in Orlando (my in-laws live in Alabama near the FL border). No idea how much it cost though, other than more than I'm willing to spend on that kind of thing. FWIW, if you take them now, Awix will be too young to remember (Broccoli remembered it for a little while, but I'm pretty sure he's forgotten all about it now).

Well, we're not going now! John just really, really wants to go and I'd love to be able to do that for him.

Slashie, use your words.

Gug.
  • Like 1

What I WANT to do is go to Austria for a week or so, and then drive to NL, and spend a few weeks in NL. If I get into the land of wishful thinking, I could even say I'd like to take my kids to Legoland... but, I don't think I want to drive to Denmark for that. Or, maybe I should scrap Austria, and just do Legoland and then NL. Mountains vs legos, what does the ITT say?

Boeja!

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

What I WANT to do is go to Austria for a week or so, and then drive to NL, and spend a few weeks in NL. If I get into the land of wishful thinking, I could even say I'd like to take my kids to Legoland... but, I don't think I want to drive to Denmark for that. Or, maybe I should scrap Austria, and just do Legoland and then NL. Mountains vs legos, what does the ITT say?

Boeja!

I have a list.

Australia & NZ

European cruise

Alaskan train ride

Asian train ride

My uncle was a teacher and spent his summers on his bike and foreign countries.

• Like 1

Edpo. You have been warned. Avert your eyes, forthwith!

I might conceivably think about high-school planning over this next week.  :svengo: Those who have been there, done that, can you please give me some idea of how much chocolate I should buy before attempting this?

• Like 3

luuknam coined it, I think. Educational post.

I think it was Renai. 

I also want to go to Asia. And NZ. And all the places. But I don't want to spend that long on planes with the kids. At least not at this point. 

Plus, I kind of have to go to Europe, since the kids need to hear more real life Dutch. And I don't have the money to go to Europe AND elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I might conceivably think about high-school planning over this next week.  :svengo: Those who have been there, done that, can you please give me some idea of how much chocolate I should buy before attempting this?

PM me your address.  I'll send a truck.

• Like 1

And Edpo's require warnings because, well.... it's the ITT safe zone.  

We also give Dental post warnings.

For some reason, though, the GI tract, including vomiting and blowouts, is fair game.  

Definitely dental post warnings.  For me.  Because trigger warnings for me can be very...literal.

• Like 3

Ds3 is having a meltdown because he wants to be a "wuzzred in a car-race*!!!" and none of us can understand what that means.  We have 30 minutes to figure this out before the Halloween parade at Dh's work.  Thankfully, theyll get lots of candy and it'll be the only Halloween gig we do.   I hate Halloween.

It should be cancelled, and Thanksgiving moved to Oct 31, and then there'd be enough weekends to do all the Holiday Season things.

*we've already ruled out wizards, lizards (including dinosaurs and dragons), and race car drivers. I'm at a loss.

• Like 2

Ds3 is having a meltdown because he wants to be a "wuzzred in a car-race*!!!" and none of us can understand what that means. We have 30 minutes to figure this out before the Halloween parade at Dh's work. Thankfully, theyll get lots of candy and it'll be the only Halloween gig we do. I hate Halloween.

It should be cancelled, and Thanksgiving moved to Oct 31, and then there'd be enough weekends to do all the Holiday Season things.

*we've already ruled out wizards, lizards (including dinosaurs and dragons), and race car drivers. I'm at a loss.

Oh wow, I'm afraid I can't help you out there. It's been several years since I spoke Three Year-old.
  • Like 3

That sounds great! We don't do fancy, either. We're just not getting along. It doesn't feel very celebrational around here, more bittersweet. Glad we made it this far, sad at the state of things.

I'm told there are good years and bad years in a marriage. I'm praying for the good ones.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Yup, there are.  

NO!  Not until we have hard freezes consistently.  Because then it's 16-gallon heated water buckets, one in each stall, that have to be dumped and scrubbed and filled by hand with 5-gallon regular buckets. :svengo:

Good point.  Okay, make sure you have ONE hose drained as a back-up, in case a sudden, unexpected freeze splits your mainstays.

On the farm in MN we used to give the dog water in gallon ice cream buckets.  I'd change it out 2-3 times a day, because the water would freeze solid enough to not be breakable.  Our dog was an outside dog only, though he had an insulated corner of an old pump house piled high with hay and slept warm as toast all winter long.  In winter he'd get fed at least twice a day, too.  He LOVED winter.

Currently, the turtles are threatening to "do school" in retaliation for the upcoming break, in which they will have to "go to art" and "study for a Latin quiz." 

I'm trying to keep a straight face and not laugh, but it's hard.

Oh, the horror!!!!   :lol:

• Like 1

Boeja!

Mountains!

Best get your own chocolate factory.

• Like 1

Oh wow, I'm afraid I can't help you out there. It's been several years since I spoke Three Year-old.

No worries.

I talked him down from the ledge and into a green dragon costume.  I don't think it's what he wanted originally, but he's satisfied.  

So now we have two princesses, a butterfly, a green dragon, and a creative-genius ten year-old in a red bathrobe with Darth Vader gloves, a monster hat (his winter one from like 7 years ago), and a spiny eyeball tail made out of half-a-ream of copy paper and a dh's nylon rope.  :D   

Now, a quick lunch and errands and the parade.

• Like 4

What does edpo mean?

Educational post.  It's a warning to the rest of ITT that someone is about to actually discuss school stuff, kinda against our happy place trend going on here.  All done in silliness, you know.

Ds3 is having a meltdown because he wants to be a "wuzzred in a car-race*!!!" and none of us can understand what that means.  We have 30 minutes to figure this out before the Halloween parade at Dh's work.  Thankfully, theyll get lots of candy and it'll be the only Halloween gig we do.   I hate Halloween.

I concur.  That would also free up more November for NaNoWriMo!

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Friday!!!ðŸ‘

Zoo field trip!!ðŸ‘ðŸªðŸ…ðŸµðŸ¢ðŸ˜. The Big City has a very nice zoo and every year I buy a membership. Basically for a little more than the cost of one trip for our entire family I can get a membership for the year and get in free as many times as we want. We have been studying the Big Cats in science so we will be listening to the Zoo Keepers Talks for the Cheetah, Lion and Tiger today. It will be very educational. And since I'm packing a lunch, it will be free.😜

Mama's taking us to the zoo tomorrow, the zoo tomorrow, the zoo tomorrow.  Mama's taking us to the zoo tomorrow and we can stay all day.... We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo.  How 'bout you, you, you?  You come too, too, too.  We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo!  <insert link to you tube of Peter, Paul and Mary singing.....>

• Like 5

No worries.

I talked him down from the ledge and into a green dragon costume.  I don't think it's what he wanted originally, but he's satisfied.  

So now we have two princesses, a butterfly, a green dragon, and a creative-genius ten year-old in a red bathrobe with Darth Vader gloves, a monster hat (his winter one from like 7 years ago), and a spiny eyeball tail made out of half-a-ream of copy paper and a dh's nylon rope.  :D   

Now, a quick lunch and errands and the parade.

Duckie for the win!!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 2

You want one of those 1lb bars from Trader Joe's before you start.

• Like 1

I think I'll start nice and slow. Find the list of state courses, then re-read TWTM section, pace, take a few walks, then go design my own thing. :laugh:

Then JJM's truck should tide you over briefly, until you can get your chocolate factory up and running.

Or we can send JJM and our ITT staff out to hold up See's Candies trucks whenever you need another fix.

Slashie, use your words.

:laugh:

You'll need wine too.  

What does edpo mean?

Educational post - because some of us need warnings.

luuknam coined it, I think. Educational post.

:iagree:

And Edpo's require warnings because, well.... it's the ITT safe zone.  

We also give Dental post warnings.

For some reason, though, the GI tract, including vomiting and blowouts, is fair game.  

:iagree:   

I think I'll start nice and slow. Find the list of state courses, then re-read TWTM section, pace, take a few walks, then go design my own thing. :laugh:

Perfect!  Already know that which you need.  (~Yoda)

• Like 4

Lightning McQueen?  He was red, in a car race.

• Like 2

That's for when you actually start teaching them.

Ds (almost 16) is almost human again, but 14-16 is rough.  I have quintuple the grey hair that I did just two years ago.

I can see that happening with one of my guys. He reminds me of myself at fourteen. :scared:

That's what I did.  I also printed out the recs/reqts from our state's flagship university.  I think the most important part of the planning would be knowing what the goal is at the end.

ETA:  Goal in a general sense.  Go to 4 year university or go to art school or go to welding school. Not become a statistician at XYZ company, necessarily. But, if the goal is a highly selective 4 year university, though, you need to know that NOW, because that's become a very narrow path.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

That's what I did.  I also printed out the recs/reqts from our state's flagship university.  I think the most important part of the planning would be knowing what the goal is at the end.

ETA:  Goal in a general sense.  Go to 4 year university or go to art school or go to welding school. Not become a statistician at XYZ company, necessarily. But, if the goal is a highly selective 4 year university, though, you need to know that NOW, because that's become a very narrow path.

Probably not selective 4 year university. State U, probably with transfer from our college here in town, or a smaller one down the road from us that I like for its small class sizes and students that I've worked with coming out of that program. 

One thing I'd like for them to be able to do is to take some time to go do something, either alone or with each other, or with grandma and grandpa. Go see the Western US. Backpack the Ozark Highlands trail. There's a group that sails some replica ships that my one boy is in love with--see if he can't get on their volunteer crew. Things like that. So I want to plan well to give them time to do some of those things if I can.

• Like 1