• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Really? I only know two homeschool moms and they hate homeschooling. I know more, but their kids are John's age so they're all exited.

That is so sad (read all the other posts, too). I don't think I've ever met anyone IRL that hated homeschooling. I have met a teacher that didn't like teaching "those people's" kids. She was a bilingual teacher. It was her thing. I've always said that once you don't like teaching, you need to quit. There are lives on the line. If they really dislike homeschooling that much, they need to find a doable solution so they can quit. Seriously. I say that about any job.

• Like 5

:lol: I thought that was supposed to be good?

If she can discuss the book and make correlations like that, I'd say it's literature. But then again, I don't have high standards.

Yeah, the reference was I had planned a different type of literature - Job from the Bible. She left her Bible at church and couldn't remember the Bible website (biblegateway.com), so went back to reading Percy. I bought the series as a Christmas gift. She really likes it. Imma start reading book 1 since she's started book 2.

• Like 2

:iagree: It may not be grade level for a 16 year old but it is certainly different from a cereal box.  I think there is a lot of good to be had from interacting with children's literature (notice that it is literature) even as a teen or an adult. 

Yeah, yeah. With this child's dyslexia, I'm happy she's reading. There was a time I really really worried. I don't worry anymore.

Ya'll stop taking me so seriously. Although, she will need to read something better than Percy this year. Where is she going to get an English credit from?!?

• Like 4

On the high school thing, I think it's just the uncertainty.  Which really isn't.  Math is just do the next thing.  Science is just make sure she does the usual thing.  Latin is just do the next thing.  Add a modern foreign language and do it in order.  The whole humanities thing is up in the air, though.  Dd wants to do Omnibus.  We may school through a charter.  She may or may not take a few classes on campus. I may let her try to test out of some subjects through SAT subject tests.

But I want decisions now.

One year (and sometimes semester) at a time, my dear.  That is the only thing that works anyway.

Dd16 thinks that since she's reading the Percy Jackson series, she's reading literature. I just informed her that she could read a cereal box, but that doesn't make it literature.

I won't call it literature, but I've not read it.

Nothing especially. Just a few opinions in a certain thread brought back some POVs that we're all around me growing up, and I was beginning to freak out. It was weird. I should have known from the thread title. Tis my own darn fault.

I have done this myself, wandered into the dark side and hated myself for it.

You are so young (as in, having young kids, not age-wise, since you're old...) and have learned this valuable wisdom already. That makes me so proud. Sniff.

I bought Knowing and Teaching Elementary Math this past year. I plan to read it this year. Thanks for reminding me that I have it.

I got part-way through the Liping Ma book.  What I read was helpful.  I can't read an entire book on math education approaches, though.

I've often been called an old soul.

I was told I looked older than I was and my friends made me buy the booze.  Is that what you mean?

• Like 2

DS + pizza (tomato sauce) = very long, painful math session

Also, 30 minutes to do something that takes two. Why? He kept getting distracted, he says. Also likely a side effect from the sauce.

I have told him he must lay off the sauce on school nights.

• Like 5

I've been called an odd soul. :lol:

I've done diddly when it comes to researching curriculum for next year. I did look at some geography resources. It's like picking out paint when you despise painting. Yep. I'm a geography hater. 

Fortunately for me I have one son who pretty much does it on his own and the other who is very happy to do his MP Geography twice a week because he likes to use the good watercolor pencils. So basically, I need geography that I can hand over to the boys and go back to my writing whilst whistling a happy tune of blithe ignorance. We cannot be all things...and I cannot love geography no matter how attractively it is packaged.

• Like 4

Yeah, yeah. With this child's dyslexia, I'm happy she's reading. There was a time I really really worried. I don't worry anymore.

Ya'll stop taking me so seriously. Although, she will need to read something better than Percy this year. Where is she going to get an English credit from?!?

Figure out what level Percy Jackson is (reading level) and choose some good solid lit choices that are comparable, would be my approach.  She read TKaM, right?

• Like 1

Yeah, me, too.   :lol:

I went to two book fairs at conventions the first two years I homeschooled.  I never attended any of the talks given.   I just went around touching the shiny books and curricula.  It was helpful to actually put my hands on them.

When I first started homeschooling, I attended conventions the first couple of years too. The second year, I had "met" a friend through WTM and stayed with her during the conference. Dd16 stayed there with her kids and husband while we went galavanting around the conference. :D She's still on the boards, too. I remember when her youngest was a babe-in-arms. This was 11 years ago. Sigh. I'm old.

• Like 1

DS + pizza (tomato sauce) = very long, painful math session

Also, 30 minutes to do something that takes two. Why? He kept getting distracted, he says. Also likely a side effect from the sauce.

I have told him he must lay off the sauce on school nights.

Food allergy?

Dd eats her pizza naked (no sauce but of course it has toppings) or with a white sauce (which wouldn't work if he's allergic to dairy). 

• Like 2

On the high school thing, I think it's just the uncertainty.  Which really isn't.  Math is just do the next thing.  Science is just make sure she does the usual thing.  Latin is just do the next thing.  Add a modern foreign language and do it in order.  The whole humanities thing is up in the air, though.  Dd wants to do Omnibus.  We may school through a charter.  She may or may not take a few classes on campus. I may let her try to test out of some subjects through SAT subject tests.

But I want decisions now.

Science does not have to be do the usual thing. I vote for flexibility and adaptability. I say, as dd16 sloshes through chemistry as though it is water torture...

Testing is not in our future. That route will not work with dd16.

• Like 1

I've been called an odd soul. :lol:

I've done diddly when it comes to researching curriculum for next year. I did look at some geography resources. It's like picking out paint when you despise painting. Yep. I'm a geography hater. 

Fortunately for me I have one son who pretty much does it on his own and the other who is very happy to do his MP Geography twice a week because he likes to use the good watercolor pencils. So basically, I need geography that I can hand over to the boys and go back to my writing whilst whistling a happy tune of blithe ignorance. We cannot be all things...and I cannot love geography no matter how attractively it is packaged.

Geography is not my strength, either.  Yesterday I spent some time trying to get little dd to commit the seven continents and the four oceans to memory.  If she does that, I will feel so virtuous.

• Like 2

Bullfinch's Mythology came to mind. I want to read that one front to back one day. I get distracted.

ETA: And I have Edith Hamilton's mythology which is just more approachable. Easier to cart around, too.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

One year (and sometimes semester) at a time, my dear.  That is the only thing that works anyway.

I won't call it literature, but I've not read it.

I have done this myself, wandered into the dark side and hated myself for it.

I got part-way through the Liping Ma book.  What I read was helpful.  I can't read an entire book on math education approaches, though.

I was told I looked older than I was and my friends made me buy the booze.  Is that what you mean?

1. Yes on the semester-planning thing. That's what I'm doing right now. We're figuring out a way to get a full credit of English and ancient history between now and the middle of summer. Because we DO need a vacation in there somewhere.

2. I need to find the Liping Ma book. I think I started and got to page 2, but I was still in school and decided not to go too deep without the commitment to finish at that time.

3. No. That is not what I meant.

• Like 1

Food allergy?

Dd eats her pizza naked (no sauce but of course it has toppings) or with a white sauce (which wouldn't work if he's allergic to dairy).

Yes, food allergy. It's the only one where we allow a little every now and then - because naked gets boring. He gets itchy and cranky and severe halitosis, but he is willing to pay the price. Just can't do it too much, and lately I've noticed his ability to concentrate after tomatoes is severely diminished.

He can't do garlic either. Poor kid.

Yes, food allergy. It's the only one where we allow a little every now and then - because naked gets boring. He gets itchy and cranky and severe halitosis, but he is willing to pay the price. Just can't do it too much, and lately I've noticed his ability to concentrate after tomatoes is severely diminished.

He can't do garlic either. Poor kid.

I made a No-mato sauce once with pumpkin and beets.  It was surprisingly good and everyone in my family liked it. 

• Like 1

Figure out what level Percy Jackson is (reading level) and choose some good solid lit choices that are comparable, would be my approach.  She read TKaM, right?

What's... oh. Never mind.

I've never had the pregnant with a cat one, ever. Apparently, I just like lots of teA.

That's funny, considering my recent interest in tea. I wasn't getting any nookie in my dream, just escaping the harem or whatever it's called. I've been pregnant with a cat for both pregnancies. It's a thing.

• Like 1

Bullfinch's Mythology came to mind. I want to read that one front to back one day. I get distracted.

We are "doing" MFW Ancients with the following scheduled:

The Epic of Gilgamesh (I read last year before she went to the charter. She would like me to read it again.)

The Cat of Bubastes

Bulfinch's Greek and Roman Mythology

The Iliad (she read this last year when bored at the charter school. I won't make her read it again.)

The Odssey

Eric Liddell

We'll see what actually happens. I'm not even looking at next year, yet. Although I have a loose plan of the rest of world history and some American history before she graduates.

• Like 3

Percy is below her reading level. I think. Nah, it is. She said it's pretty easy until she gets to those Greek gods' names.

Yes, she read and enjoyed TKaM last year at the charter school. Good discussions on that one. She really wanted to write about racism and the differences between how whites were believed on their word, but blacks were not. She wasn't supported enough to get that evidence to write that paper. She wound up writing about Scout's viewpoint at the end. She has great ideas, but needs support to get those deep ideas on paper.

• Like 2

I made a No-mato sauce once with pumpkin and beets.  It was surprisingly good and everyone in my family liked it. 

I've made a sauce like that too, but without pumpkin. I don't remember the recipe, but remember I got it from Feingold. Everyone here liked it too.

• Like 1

The Epic of Gilgamesh (I read last year before she went to the charter. She would like me to read it again.)

The Cat of Bubastes

The Iliad (she read this last year when bored at the charter school. I won't make her read it again.)

The Odssey

Eric Liddell

We'll see what actually happens. I'm not even looking at next year, yet. Although I have a loose plan of the rest of world history and some American history before she graduates.

Very pretty. MFW HS looks so simple. Not easy, just not complicated compared to most.

Percy is below her reading level. I think. Nah, it is. She said it's pretty easy until she gets to those Greek gods' names.

Yes, she read and enjoyed TKaM last year at the charter school. Good discussions on that one. She really wanted to write about racism and the differences between how whites were believed on their word, but blacks were not. She wasn't supported enough to get that evidence to write that paper. She wound up writing about Scout's viewpoint at the end. She has great ideas, but needs support to get those deep ideas on paper.

There is something very comforting about reading below your reading level as a dyslexic.

So, you think using a skill based art curriculum alongside MFW isn't overkill? Is MFW really crafty?

• Like 3

Dd16 thinks that since she's reading the Percy Jackson series, she's reading literature. I just informed her that she could read a cereal box, but that doesn't make it literature.

I don't EVEN want you to know how many historical facts Dd knows because of Pirate 101. Seriously. :0

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

You guys are still talking education? What? You think this is a homeschooling message board? Lol!

I guess I'm just really tired and burned out of homeschooling. It's been great having oldest in b&m school and I'm trying to convince myself that dd should go there next year. Second DS I will probably homeschool through high school, but he's fairly easy and more self-motivated than the rest.

• Like 9

Can you add SparkNotes from the Odyssey and the Iliad, have her write a paper finding classic themes in Percy Jackson, and call it good?

• Like 2

I made a No-mato sauce once with pumpkin and beets. It was surprisingly good and everyone in my family liked it.

Yes, DH has made many no-mato sauces here as well. The problem is it's different every time. He does do recipes. LOL.

There was one he did really well with beets, but couldn't seem to duplicate it. I got sick of eating beet sauce after repeated adventures into the unknown.

• Like 1

The Cat of Bubastes

The Odssey

Eric Liddell

Disregard the earlier rec.

• Like 1

Swimming in the sea, dear. Some simply cannot resist the thrill.

Dd13 used to play the violin.  She quit last fall.  I'm hoping she'll start up again.

Dd11 plays flute -- and now piccolo.

Dd9 wants to learn violin.

And so does dd7.  Dd7 played recorder last semester.

And ds15 played trumpet for one semester and didn't like it.  He prefers to play baseball.  ;)

Dh plays trumpet and tuba, but he hasn't touched them in a while.  (We don't own a tuba.)

I tried to play oboe when I was 9.  As a first instrument.  It didn't go well.

• Like 1

You guys are still talking education? What? You think this is a homeschooling message board? Lol!

I guess I'm just really tired and burned out of homeschooling. It's been great having oldest in b&m school and I'm trying to convince myself that dd should go there next year. Second DS I will probably homeschool through high school, but he's fairly easy and more self-motivated than the rest.

And that's okay!

Several of my students incorporated this idea into their essays.  I would have loved to work with her on it.

How do I get my High School 4 Year Plan written then, hmmm?

You don't.  Or you write it in pencil.  I have a vague notion, and before it all started I wrote down the state educational plans for high school credits to show my boys.  We will likely roughly follow this just because we are on a traditional-ish path.  

My kids' paths to college will be through the CC so it is actually pretty simple for me.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

Can you add SparkNotes from the Odyssey and the Iliad, have her write a paper finding classic themes in Percy Jackson, and call it good?

Disregard the earlier rec.

Well, there's certainly tie-in with the Greek lit and Percy, so it's a possibility... 

• Like 1

Dd13 used to play the violin. She quit last fall. I'm hoping she'll start up again.

Dd11 plays flute -- and now piccolo.

Dd9 wants to learn violin.

And so does dd7. Dd7 played recorder last semester.

And ds15 played trumpet for one semester and didn't like it. He prefers to play baseball. ;)

Dh plays trumpet and tuba, but he hasn't touched them in a while. (We don't own a tuba.)

I tried to play oboe when I was 9. As a first instrument. It didn't go well.

Dd13 can be dd9 and dd7's violin coach.

Oboes start to sound like instruments after about 3 years of practice. It is difficult to get to that point, particularly when you must deal with your family's efforts to burn it in the dead of night.

We have an ITT marching band, but I think it would be nice to have a string orchestra as well.

• Like 4

Very pretty. MFW HS looks so simple. Not easy, just not complicated compared to most.

There is something very comforting about reading below your reading level as a dyslexic.

So, you think using a skill based art curriculum alongside MFW isn't overkill? Is MFW really crafty?

It is simple, but full at the same time. It is what dd16 wanted to come back to, so that says something.

There is something comforting about reading below level for everyone, not just dyslexics. As much as I liked my grad courses, there's no way I'd want to read that level of lit all the time. Hunger Games and the Divergent series had their place. :D Dd16 likes to read a range, thus, her choice of reading Iliad last year. *I* still have never read Iliad. :huh:

There isn't art all the time in MFW, so there is plenty of room for it. MFW leans Charlotte Mason-y, so believes in short lessons and community work/play/handcrafts for the afternoons. There are planned craft suggestions, but like with any curriculum, you can do as much or little of it that you want. I didn't find them overwhelming. I did skip some though depending on interest.

• Like 4

That is about the same time I was fed up with my kid  burned out too. I did K12 option for 6th, and she was in a charter school for 7th. We skipped her up to 9th the next year at the last charter school (she'd been held back a grade, and this put her back up in her age grade), and she was ready to come home in 10th.

• Like 1

How do I get my High School 4 Year Plan written then, hmmm?

You go ahead and write it, with the understanding that most all of it will change anyway. At least you have the peace of mind that it is all neatly written and stuck in a corner somewhere.

• Like 1