Menu

Ignore this thread!

Tea report, day 5:

I'm having chai tea again because I liked it. I added milk, honey, vanilla and cinnamon. The kids were up when I made it so they had lemon tea with honey. Mary was upset that there was dirt in her tea so I took the bag which seemed to resolve the issue. The sleepy time tea appears to be a success but I had a dream I was a concubine in some middle eastern country which I found odd.

• Like 4

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Is this absolutely only a high school curriculum? If one were to use something like Omnibus then they couldn't expect a child to do WttW in 6th, correct?

Omnibus is a high school curriculum, but I think you know that.  It is also very demanding and heavy on writing, though not all assignments have to be done.  It is essentially three subjects in one - Bible, History, and Literature.  It is too reformed for me, but that is a different topic.  A good friend said that doing Omnibus as a co-op class killed her son's love of reading because it was just too much.  That is my Omnibus spiel for the year - got it over with early.   :lol:

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

Omnibus is a high school curriculum, but I think you know that.  It is also very demanding and heavy on writing, though not all assignments have to be done.  It is essentially three subjects in one - Bible, History, and Literature.  It is too reformed for me, but that is a different topic.  A good friend said that doing Omnibus as a co-op class killed her son's love of reading because it was just too much.  That is my Omnibus spiel for the year - got it over with early.   :lol:

WttW uses To Kill a Mockingbird, and Jane Eyre (though I subbed in Frankenstein) and asks students to do a lot of higher level thinking.  I would not use it in 6th grade.  The content of the material could be overwhelming, and it would likely be wasted on brains that young.  I would use it with a capable, mature 8th grader if I wanted to use other things in high school.  Most kids in 6th grade are not ready to think about things like racism and rape in the depth that the writing calls for.

Ds13 would be in 7th grade by public school designation, and he is in my WttW class, but he is an outlier, like a 5% outlier.  He has been reading nonfiction WW2 works since he was 10 by his own choice because he was interested.  It is not the intelligence that makes this class work for kids but the maturity needed to process and think about these topics.  There are some of my students who are still not quite there yet at 14 or 15.  It shows in their writing.  This is not uncommon to find in a group of students.  They will get there in their own good time.

Omnibus starts in 7th now. Some of the books are age inappropriate (ped*philia, r*pe) from what I hear. I know there are a lot of options out there. I pin everything I find interesting. It's easier. I'm thinking of getting WttW for myself. I think it might make me a better teacher. I've also been eyeing IEW's literature component.

• Like 1

Sometimes I think this is what My DS needs, the concrete step-by-step instruction. But ugh. It sound tedious for me the instructor, never mind the student. I think it would have me dropping it before the end of September. Are the other lower level IEW products the same way? Do people really outline like that?

Thanks for the review, Lynn!

We lasted 2 weeks. yuk.gif

• Like 2

(((Jean)))

Is your family taking care of you today? If not, we can send them some strong advice.

#elephantninjas

The way it works in a family with chronic illness (well, the way it works in my family at least) is that the ill person tries to carry as much weight as she can.  So I will muddle on as best as I can and will only ask for help if I simply can't do something.  It's better for me that way actually. 

• Like 2

Omnibus starts in 7th now. Some of the books are age inappropriate (ped*philia, r*pe) from what I hear. I know there are a lot of options out there. I pin everything I find interesting. It's easier. I'm thinking of getting WttW for myself. I think it might make me a better teacher. I've also been eyeing IEW's literature component.

I think that WttW would be a great resource for self-education.  If I wanted to self-educate in the area of literature analysis, I would first read Deconstructing Penguins (not taking it literally or you will be discouraged - just using it for ideas of how to approach the subject with elementary kids), then get WttW (teacher and student books), the Teaching the Classics DVD's and workbook that goes along with these, and the Jill Pike Syllabus.  All have something to offer.  WttW is really a literature analysis class with some writing.  Along with Deconstructing Penguins, I would work through Figuratively Speaking before moving on to WttW and TtC.

These are approachable resources which are interesting.  They will not break anyone's brain.

• Like 1

I'm sorry. Sometimes I just want a coma pill. I think that's what you need.

Sleep is the closest I can get to a coma!  But I have pain dreams.  This morning's dream  was about being at a party and people trying to get this top rated pain doctor to talk to me but me being resistant because. . . it was a party and who does that?  Then I looked down and I was pregnant and I thought "Oh good, maybe I can get rid of this weight when I give birth".  Then it morphed into people who I think were ITT people talking about homeschooling and I thought "I'm screwed because I don't do all of that and yet I'm graduating my kids from homeschool high school anyway" (which pretty much sums up how I feel when people talk curriculum). 

• Like 5

I'm outta likes, so consider yourselves liked! 

Critter, it's been awhile since I attempted to use WWS with anyone, but I concur that it would be helpful to find something between IEW and WWS.  Last I tried WWS, I felt it was making writing unnecessarily difficult.  But I think IEW takes too much of the thinking out of the picture.  My 14yo has had Lost Tools of Writing the last 2 years, plus this one, in CC's Challenge.  I think it has been a good program for teaching thinking, but again, I'm not sure LTW doesn't take the road "round Robin Hood's barn to get there.  (And I'm not sure it's something *I* want to teach on my own.)  I need the lazy Mom's guide to teaching writing to the lazy student who in addition to being lazy doesn't want to do an assignment unless it feels like it has a good purpose.  (And that's the other problem with writing programs - it's an additional assignment which often seems rather contrived and purposeless as compared with writing across the curriculum, which is more difficult to teach if you're not a natural writing teacher.)

:rant:

• Like 3

I think that WttW would be a great resource for self-education.  If I wanted to self-educate in the area of literature analysis, I would first read Deconstructing Penguins (not taking it literally or you will be discouraged - just using it for ideas of how to approach the subject with elementary kids), then get WttW (teacher and student books), the Teaching the Classics DVD's and workbook that goes along with these, and the Jill Pike Syllabus.  All have something to offer.  WttW is really a literature analysis class with some writing.  Along with Deconstructing Penguins, I would work through Figuratively Speaking before moving on to WttW and TtC.

These are approachable resources which are interesting.  They will not break anyone's brain.

Thanks! I think I'll read Deconstructing Penguins and Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics this year. I'm not looking for anything too heavy with 6 months of pregnancy and 6 months of newborn.

Sleep is the closest I can get to a coma!  But I have pain dreams.  This morning's dream  was about being at a party and people trying to get this top rated pain doctor to talk to me but me being resistant because. . . it was a party and who does that?  Then I looked down and I was pregnant and I thought "Oh good, maybe I can get rid of this weight when I give birth".  Then it morphed into people who I think were ITT people talking about homeschooling and I thought "I'm screwed because I don't do all of that and yet I'm graduating my kids from homeschool high school anyway" (which pretty much sums up how I feel when people talk curriculum). 

I have 4 adult friends that graduated from home and their mom didn't rely on curriculum and they're brilliant, capable people. I have 2 other adult friends that graduated from home and their mom did rely on curriculum and they're... not so brilliant. Good curriculum doesn't equal a good education. :)

• Like 4

:grouphug:

I love to talk about curriculum; I just don't love to use it.  :lol:

• Like 8

Oh, I forgot.  Slache, I think I've used AP book 1 around ages 6 -7, though sometimes kids have been different ages.  I think one year (years ago!) the three oldest make the Greek pot together - they were all elementary age of some kind. 

I like the idea of waiting until Mary can join in, but by that point I want to be doing MFW with John and that includes art. I want to do all the things. It's not good.

We aren't using a writing curriculum. I'm no help. I recently pinned this. Oddly I was the first person on Pinterest to do so.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

Back in ye olden days, when oldest was 5 and I had a preschooler and a toddler---we worked on the elements of art.  I remember line, shape, color.  It was right on for my kids' technical abilities and it was still "real" art. I owned a book, but I've since sold it and forgotten about it. Maybe How to teach elements of art by Evan Moor?  I think that was it.  We read Mike Venezia's series on famous artists as well.

• Like 1

Back in ye olden days, when oldest was 5 and I had a preschooler and a toddler---we worked on the elements of art.  I remember line, shape, color.  It was right on for my kids' technical abilities and it was still "real" art. I owned a book, but I've since sold it and forgotten about it. Maybe How to teach elements of art by Evan Moor?  I think that was it.  We read Mike Venezia's series on famous artists as well.

I got How To Teach Art To Children by Evan More for free at HSBC for mother's day, Drawing With Children for like $3 on Amazon and he loves The Big Yellow Drawing Book. Eventually I want to combine AP with Augsburg's drawing. I think that's a perfect lineup.

• Like 3

And as far as writing goes, I might use Thinking in Threes with my 12yo dd.  For one, I have it on the shelf.  For two, I think it will have a little bit of appeal.  For three, I don't think it's overly complicated.  Wish me luck.  Might start tomorrow. 

I would second Tex's suggestion to look at Lively Art of Writing.  It's cheap (may be open source; check Google books) and is quite good.  I would use it, but I needed to stop "doing things" and to start doing what what child needed to do.  (What a revelation, right?  Only took me until 8th grade to figure it out.  My poor child.)

• Like 2

I like the idea of waiting until Mary can join in, but by that point I want to be doing MFW with John and that includes art. I want to do all the things. It's not good a totally normal homeschool-mom thing.

We aren't using a writing curriculum. I'm no help. I recently pinned this. Oddly I was the first person on Pinterest to do so.  :coolgleamA:

FIFY.  :001_smile:

• Like 2

I'm working on my US History course for dd13 and ds15.  (Hence the earlier writing curriculum discussion.)

So I'm taking all of my reproducible resources that I've collected since they were toddlers, making tons of photocopies and arranging everything chronologically into binders.

I should have asked for printer ink for Christmas.

• Like 4

Really? I only know two homeschool moms and they hate homeschooling. I know more, but their kids are John's age so they're all exited.

Even on our hard days, I never hated homeschooling.  I hate some things but not homeschooling.  Why would people do something they hate?

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

Back from the big town and I'm exhausted. It turned out that the old cat got out of surgery today by taking care of her corneal problem all on her own. It'll be back. I know this.

But for the time being, it's good news. She's tired though. That person in the thread that wanted to change her DH's sleeping pattern should totally get an old cat that dotes on him. My girl can make me go to bed with a look at nine thirty that is not negotiable. She wants to go to bed, and that means I have to go. Because she can't sleep unless I'm there. 

Spent most of the day at various library branches. My library shelf is full. Everyone is happy.

• Like 4

Do they say they hate it?

Not exactly. One (dd26, ds23, ds17, dd15) won't talk about it, told me it's not fun and that it was giving her depression. She put the two in a private school this year for the first time. The other (dd10) finds it so frustrating she cries every time we talk. Neither have ever read a book on homeschooling or attended a convention, both do school at home and think I'm crazy for doing something different. I haven't spent time with the second in over a year because we had a falling out. She'd spent 3 years trying to finish the same curriculum and found it so frustrating she didn't know what to do. I told her to ditch it all and start over with something fun and she screamed at me, told me I knew nothing about homeschooling (fairly true) and hung up on me. She's a kind person but extremely overwhelmed. I think she's too embarrassed to call me back.

Not exactly. One (dd26, ds23, ds17, dd15) won't talk about it, told me it's not fun and that it was giving her depression. She put the two in a private school this year for the first time. The other (dd10) finds it so frustrating she cries every time we talk. Neither have ever read a book on homeschooling or attended a convention, both do school at home and think I'm crazy for doing something different. I haven't spent time with the second in over a year because we had a falling out. She'd spent 3 years trying to finish the same curriculum and found it so frustrating she didn't know what to do. I told her to ditch it all and start over with something fun and she screamed at me, told me I knew nothing about homeschooling (fairly true) and hung up on me. She's a kind person but extremely overwhelmed. I think she's too embarrassed to call me back.

Next time, don't say "fun."  :lol:   Say "doable." 

• Like 2

I have never attended a convention. I only read one book on homeschooling, which was by Gatto and more of a why public school sucks.

But I love homeschooling. I rock this gig.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 6

Next time, don't say "fun." :lol: Say "doable."

At ten (nine at the time) it can be fun. Besides, she was using really simple curriculum. I really don't understand what her problem was. She seems to really suffer with emotional issues. She's always gaining 70 pounds and losing it in a few months. And she treated her daughter like a baby. It was very sad.

It's raining. I got "Dutch Oven Chicken" cooking and smelling good and some coffee waiting for me.

And I got a Booha/h!

"Wasted away again at Booya-ville!

Lookin' for my lost shaker of salt!

Some people claim that there's a Booya/h to blame!

But I know (duh-duh-duh-duh-duh) it's my own Booya/h fault!"

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 9

I have never atteneded a convention. I only read one book on homeschooling, which was by Gatto and more of a why public school sucks.

But I love homeschooling. I rock this gig.

I just meant that they never looked outside for help. When things got hard they just pushed harder.

I CAN'T FIND ANY! I have wonderful friends my age homeschooling kids approximately my kids ages but they don't live locally. :(

No need to shout. :laugh:

My homeschooling co-op and other people I know who homeschool are a really eclectic bunch.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4