All About Spelling - Level 5

Math

Beast Academy 4A-4D

Math in Focus Grade 4 Workbook A and B Set

Science

Supercharged Science - Science Mastery 

History

History Odyssey: Early Modern Level 1

Story of the World Vol. 3: Early Modern Times (Hardcover)

Story of the World Vol. 3 Activity Book (Paperback) - not sure I need to add more for history, we've been pretty happy with HO, but was here before I decided on Writing Strands...

Geography

Maps associated with HO

Programming

Code.org

Python - Computer Coding

Edited:  table formatted wonky :(

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3

Ikslo, I'm not intimately familiar with everything you have chosen, so take this with a grain of salt.  I always risk outing myself as a slacker because I almost always think that other people's plans look like too much.   :D   I have no problem if you decide to drop the penmanship, but I doubt it takes long and you might like it a lot.  I generally have spent more time on history than science, and I'm not recommending you do that, but I'm saying I think it's hard to do a full program for both - usually something has to give.  But I'm not familiar with Supercharged Science - it might be super efficient.  Also, I poked around HO level 2 at one time, but I don't remember how heavy the work load is for level 1.  Is it possible you don't even need a writing program alongside it?  And lastly, how much of a step up in workload is it from what you're doing now?  I'm guessing you have an idea of how much time per day and how many days per week you'll spend on each subject?  I'm not suggesting you following a rigid schedule, but put it all on paper as if you were - does it work?  Also, you have two maths - which is fantastic, nice programs, etc., but take that into account as you look at time usage.  For myself, having a really solid (demanding?) program in every subject felt overwhelming to me after 6 - 10 weeks.  It helped me to decide ahead which subjects were "get 'er done" and which ones would receive more of my focus.

Hope I'm not coming across negatively.  It's a great line up!  You have the benefit of homeschooling an only which allows you to bring focus and enthusiasm across more subjects, but you work too.

If you think I'm a horrible human being because I've rained on your parade, I'm sorry.  If you think I'm a horrible human being because I'm a slacker, I can live with that.   :D  

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

My 4th grader is doing:

Abeka Grammar and Spelling

Abeka math/moving into Saxon 5/4

BJU Bible

miscellaneous geography

minimal science

"do-it-yourself" art

"whatever-she-wants-to" writing  (She likes to write.)

her own handwriting (She's a lefty; I'm not.  She seems to be doing fine.)

playing -- lots of playing

I think that your plan looks fine, but it does seem like an awful lot of curriculum.  

If you're doing all of that every day, I think it's too much and your ds will try to find out where Junie's Minimalist Homeschool is.

However, if this is about how much you've used this year, you might not have a mutiny and you're going to end up with one bright kid!!  :)

• Like 2

Ikslo, have you used Beast Academy before?  It looks really interesting, and I'm thinking about getting at least the comic book parts for the dc to read on their own, as a supplement to the math they're already doing.

I think that even some of my older kids could benefit from the different approach to math, and if it's in story form, some of them will read it for fun.

Does anybody know if it could work this way?  Or will I need the workbooks, too?

Our plans:

Reading Lessons Through Literature, adding English Lessons Through Literature when he's ready

Miquon and Ray's

Singing Made Easy and Piano with Daddy

Bible Study Guide For All Ages

A million art things

Leaving the following options open: MFW Learning God's Story or KONOS or SOTW+BFSU. I don't know if he'll want that but we do a lot of memory work, songs, magic school bus and the like so I don't feel like we're lacking in content. He'll be in kindergarten or 1st. I'll figure that out at some point.

• Like 1

Ikslo, why German and why only MCT grammar as opposed to the whole program?

Junie, other posters have said that wouldn't work well.

German - because that's what I know, and I think starting a foreign language early is good for the brain. DS likes it well enough, but knows he can change to something else later on if he really wants to. Like high xchool. Maybe. LOL

MCT is the whole program. We're doing MCT know, and he's really liking it. The Grammar was just what I had it under on my spreadsheet. I just come away feeling that it's not enough of the how to instruction that DS needs. We'll see as the year progresses. I've seen a lot of reviews where people add on writing and spelling. I may not need the writing, but I do feel like DS is weakest in writing right now. BW style wouldn't work here.

Loving BA. Yes, you need the workbooks. The MiF workbooks would just be when I see he needs extra practice. They would not be a Must. Get. Done.

• Like 2

German - because that's what I know, and I think starting a foreign language early is good for the brain. DS likes it well enough, but knows he can change to something else later on if he really wants to. Like high xchool. Maybe. LOL

MCT is the whole program. We're doing MCT know, and he's really liking it. The Grammar was just what I had it under on my spreadsheet. I just come away feeling that it's not enough of the how to instruction that DS needs. We'll see as the year progresses. I've seen a lot of reviews where people add on writing and spelling. I may not need the writing, but I do feel like DS is weakest in writing right now. BW style wouldn't work here.

Loving BA. Yes, you need the workbooks. The MiF workbooks would just be when I see he needs extra practice. They would not be a Must. Get. Done.

Thanks. I really like the looks of MCT, ELTL and TWSS. I collect opinions when possible. I can't seem to get a grasp on MCT's writing philosophy though. I just like his grammar, poetry, and vocabulary.

Can you be more specific as to why the workbooks are needed?  I was hoping to use this as a fun supplement for my older kids, but I know that they won't want to do the workbooks.  However, I think that they could benefit from the way certain concepts are explained.

Ack! Stop all this homeschooling talk. You would think that we were here to actually school our kids or something.

My kids are being taught and raised by wolves. They can howl in three languages.

Do your kids actually speak 3 languages? I want mine to be able to speak Spanish and eventually read Greek and Latin. Maybe English too. I haven't decided. Any tips?

• Like 1

Ikslo, I'm not intimately familiar with everything you have chosen, so take this with a grain of salt. I always risk outing myself as a slacker because I almost always think that other people's plans look like too much. :D I have no problem if you decide to drop the penmanship, but I doubt it takes long and you might like it a lot. I generally have spent more time on history than science, and I'm not recommending you do that, but I'm saying I think it's hard to do a full program for both - usually something has to give. But I'm not familiar with Supercharged Science - it might be super efficient. Also, I poked around HO level 2 at one time, but I don't remember how heavy the work load is for level 1. Is it possible you don't even need a writing program alongside it? And lastly, how much of a step up in workload is it from what you're doing now? I'm guessing you have an idea of how much time per day and how many days per week you'll spend on each subject? I'm not suggesting you following a rigid schedule, but put it all on paper as if you were - does it work? Also, you have two maths - which is fantastic, nice programs, etc., but take that into account as you look at time usage. For myself, having a really solid (demanding?) program in every subject felt overwhelming to me after 6 - 10 weeks. It helped me to decide ahead which subjects were "get 'er done" and which ones would receive more of my focus.

Hope I'm not coming across negatively. It's a great line up! You have the benefit of homeschooling an only which allows you to bring focus and enthusiasm across more subjects, but you work too.

If you think I'm a horrible human being because I've rained on your parade, I'm sorry. If you think I'm a horrible human being because I'm a slacker, I can live with that. :D

The only thing different really is adding on either the extra history workbook or the writing strands. He needs more writing, but I'm not sure where to add that where it makes the most sense for him. He loves history, so I thought maybe there, but he might revolt if I mess with his favorites.

Science -we do a lot of science, and he asked for more hands on next year. I'm okay with that.

I'm thinking lose the handwriting and history workbook. Do the writing strands and incorporate handwriting into that. Art and coding are only a few days per week. Hmmmm.

Oh, and the German is what we have for this year, spread out over 2 years, so it's not as strenuous as it sounds. 15-30 minutes per day at most.

• Like 2

I copied your post, Isklo, and added what my current 4th grader is doing for comparison.

I am more in the Lynn and Junie slacker school.  (old, tired, too many kids)

Are you calling me an old, tired slacker with too many kids?!?!  

Finally, someone gets me!!   :lol:

• Like 7

I copied your post, Isklo, and added what my current 4th grader is doing for comparison.

I am more in the Lynn and Junie slacker school. (old, tired, too many kids)

I don't think that reads as less, especially with her extracurriculars. Just different.

Does she like the writing you are doing? Pros/cons?

Are you calling me an old, tired slacker with too many kids?!?!  

Finally, someone gets me!!   :lol:

I feel you, Junie!  You and I and Lynn now have a club.  We will meet whenever we feel like it and get around to it at the library or Sonic because no one can clean her house. :lol:

• Like 2

I don't think that reads as less, especially with her extracurriculars. Just different.

Does she like the writing you are doing? Pros/cons?

No language or geography.

She does not object too much to Writing Tales.  I love, love, love WT, and it has worked well with all of my three students, a rarity.  It is primarily independent.  It is classical.  You can find me on the boards singing the praises of Writing Tales, which I think is an underutilized program.

• Like 2

Do your kids actually speak 3 languages? I want mine to be able to speak Spanish and eventually read Greek and Latin. Maybe English too. I haven't decided. Any tips?

No  My kids do not speak 3 languages. 

They speak English.  Quite well.

Both have a smattering of Japanese but have broken my heart by abandoning the language of my youth.

Ds knows Latin.  It is dead.  He doesn't speak it.  He hasn't done anything with it in a year.  He's probably forgotten all of it.

Dd is learning Spanish. 

I have no tips on anything educational. 

• Like 3

Can you be more specific as to why the workbooks are needed? I was hoping to use this as a fun supplement for my older kids, but I know that they won't want to do the workbooks. However, I think that they could benefit from the way certain concepts are explained.

I just think that a lot of the a ha! moments have come by doing the workbooks. There really is just as much to learn there as there is the comics. The comics explain. The problems make you use it. It's not just a regurgitation. It's like, here's what you need to know to solve the problems. But you need to think now, and apply it. I really think for my non-maths kid it is sufficient as a stand alone. The MiF would be for occasional extra practice and or a break from the routine.

• Like 2

No  My kids do not speak 3 languages. 

They speak English.  Quite well.

Both have a smattering of Japanese but have broken my heart by abandoning the language of my youth.

Ds knows Latin.  It is dead.  He doesn't speak it.  He hasn't done anything with it in a year.  He's probably forgotten all of it.

Dd is learning Spanish. 

I have no tips on anything educational. 

You don't think Latin has been beneficial? I need to start a thread on this at some point. Latin vs Greek, the benefits of each and why people choose one over the other. People keep saying that teaching Latin is fun. Do you know what else is fun? Not teaching Latin. At some point I need to decide how important that actually is to me. Greek is very important, but the classical/vocabulary/grammar aspect is really just an added bonus.

• Like 1

My 4th grader is doing: HWT Cursive, Singapore Math, FLL, IEW SWI A, SOTW 4, Spelling Power (level E right now) and Apologia's Physics/Chem in the Exploring series. No foreign language. Art is the occasional project. I drag him to a lot of museums/historical sites and we watch a number of documentaries.  He is 2E, so everything is adapted/modified on the list.

• Like 2

I'm not a slacker. I'm Multum non Multa. Just sayin. :laugh:

We get through the stuff in my signature without too much grief and teeth gnashing. Next year's list should look about the same, just with CW Maxim instead of Homer and I think I can stand to add some Logic next year.

• Like 4

My 4th grader is doing:

Abeka Grammar and Spelling

Abeka math/moving into Saxon 5/4

BJU Bible

miscellaneous geography

minimal science

"do-it-yourself" art

"whatever-she-wants-to" writing (She likes to write.)

her own handwriting (She's a lefty; I'm not. She seems to be doing fine.)

playing -- lots of playing

I think that your plan looks fine, but it does seem like an awful lot of curriculum.

If you're doing all of that every day, I think it's too much and your ds will try to find out where Junie's Minimalist Homeschool is.

However, if this is about how much you've used this year, you might not have a mutiny and you're going to end up with one bright kid!! :)

Gasp! No history? What would I read to him while he's taking a bath????? It's his favorite part of the night!

• Like 4

I'm not a slacker. I'm Multum non Multa. Just sayin. :laugh:

We get through the stuff in my signature without too much grief and teeth gnashing. Next year's list should look about the same, just with CW Maxim instead of Homer and I think I can stand to add some Logic next year.

Is there a way to see signatures on one's phone?

• Like 1

You don't think Latin has been beneficial? I need to start a thread on this at some point. Latin vs Greek, the benefits of each and why people choose one over the other. People keep saying that teaching Latin is fun. Do you know what else is fun? Not teaching Latin. At some point I need to decide how important that actually is to me. Greek is very important, but the classical/vocabulary/grammar aspect is really just an added bonus.

Sigh.  You are forcing me to talk school.  Yes, Latin has been beneficial.  But I don't think it is absolutely essential.  Dd is choosing to not do Latin.  She has different strengths and different interests.  Ds has benefited from Latin in that I think it has aided his English vocabulary, and his logical thinking skills and even his ability to learn future languages in the future.  (I don't think that someone who does not take Latin is doomed to have a rotten English vocabulary,, no logical thinking skills or no ability to learn other languages.)   For the record, I took Latin in high school (and barely passed) but found it helpful when I took Greek in seminary.  Conversely, when I helped ds with his Latin (at first - later he had a tutor), my more recent Greek helped me to explain Latin grammar. 

• Like 1

Sigh.  You are forcing me to talk school.  Yes, Latin has been beneficial.  But I don't think it is absolutely essential.  Dd is choosing to not do Latin.  She has different strengths and different interests.  Ds has benefited from Latin in that I think it has aided his English vocabulary, and his logical thinking skills and even his ability to learn future languages in the future.  (I don't think that someone who does not take Latin is doomed to have a rotten English vocabulary,, no logical thinking skills or no ability to learn other languages.)   For the record, I took Latin in high school (and barely passed) but found it helpful when I took Greek in seminary.  Conversely, when I helped ds with his Latin (at first - later he had a tutor), my more recent Greek helped me to explain Latin grammar. 

I'm so sorry! Not really. Thank you for your input, especially that last part about Latin being beneficial for Greek and vice versa. Tee hee, see what I did there? I'm so clever. I plan to get Greek pretty down before we begin Latin so that's awesome.

It may come to that.

Why do they like my bathroom? They stare at me from the mirror (ala "The Birds) and I can usually squish one or two with a tissue or Q-tip box whenever I'm in there. Is it dh's new shaving oil? Tea tree oil? The new toothpaste dispenser?

Water and light.

I have one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom and they work great, but the flies are never ending. I can catch 40 every day for all eternity. Wish there was a market for them.

Dd9 suggested we start a praying mantis colony and let them roam free in the house.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/fruit_fly.htm

The fact that you mentioned the bathroom made me think that you should scroll down to where it talks about drains. 

Gasp! No history? What would I read to him while he's taking a bath????? It's his favorite part of the night!

No, I guess I really haven't done much history with her yet.

We did the Abeka 3rd grade history last year.  That's the only Abeka history that I can stand.

We sometimes do read alouds at lunch, and sometimes those are history.

Sigh.

I think we found a gap.

• Like 1

:iagree: to the bolded.

• Like 2

So I went through little dd's clothes and got three bags of give aways and they are headed to a friend tomorrow.  Got down her history/lit combo for next year so I can examine it and see how much I want to mess with it.  I have sent the weekly email to my English class, which resumes on Friday.  Little dd's written work folder is full and ready.  Game on.

I'm still trying to plan dd16's school for this year. Currently working on this week's schedule.

• Like 1