Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!

It is not a good morning to me.

I am sick. Sore throat, sinus congestion, chills. It is terrible.

I hope everyone is staying safe. I don't even know what the weather is supposed to do here. Rain all day yesterday and raining now.

(((Openhearted)))  Hope you're feeling better soon.  And hope no one else gets it.

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

What college? (If I can be so nosy)

That melt, refreeze, melt, refreeze scenario sounds about like our playground blacktop every year. What idiot decided to put the blacktop on the side where the sun literally does NOT shine? Any amount of ice will stay there for weeks longer than anything on the roads.

Evangel College (University now). I graduated back in the olden days (1992).

• Like 2

((((Mary))))   How are things now?

Things are ok with us. Downtown and many surrounding roads were closed and they had to evacuate some of the homes near there. They had to rescue the dogs at the shelter via boat last night. That section floods horribly. 

Basically, it was pretty bad last night and it's only going to rain more today. :) 

Good Morning!

I hope everyone is staying safe. I don't even know what the weather is supposed to do here. Rain all day yesterday and raining now.

:( Feel better! 

Evangel College (University now). I graduated back in the olden days (1992).

I went to cheer camp at Evangel back in the 90s. Several of my coworkers graduated from there as well. 

• Like 3

I got dd up so she could go to church with daddy, but now she's refusing to eat and saying her tummy hurts. I really hope she's not getting what I got. 
It's been a rough month or two of illness. BUT, we're getting lots of cuddling in. :) 

(and she's staying home with me, just in case)

texasmama, how are things down there? I saw that there were some casualties down there from the storm. 

• Like 5

May, I hope dd feels better!

She's acting fine, so I think it was sympathy pains. 

She sat on the couch eating saltines - "Dees are special snacks to make my tummy feel better."

I moved and accidentally bump a cracker out of her hand and she went all drama on me. 

"MOM! You made me drop my special snack. HOW am I supposed to get better if I keep getting them bumped and I can't eat them?" *begins eating a new cracker*  :lol:

• Like 8

Yeah, I agree with you because having our two together is so great, but Matt wants them separated in case I get PPD again he'd rather take care of the baby in a room by itself than bother the kids. He took care of Mary every night for around 6 months because I was just broken.

I think we'll move them together after he/she (ultrasound on the 30th) starts sleeping through the night.

Did you get any help for your PPD?

texasmama, how are things down there? I saw that there were some casualties down there from the storm. 

So far, 11 deaths and about that many tornadoes. 

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 6

Good morning, all.  I'm glad everyone (for the most part) had a good Christmas, but it sounds like the aftermath is terrible in some places! :sad:   Those of you who are flooding, tornadoeing, and icing:  Be CAREFUL!  :grouphug:

I shall cease to complain about my two feet of snow and occasional sloppy (but well-tended main) roads.

Oh, BTW, happy story about the benefits of living in a small town: 

On the road to Nana's house there is a steep dip down to a bridge over a slough.  The road on the east side is particularly steep.  On the way to Nana's on Christmas Day, we saw a teenage girl driving Daddy's SUV coming toward us, going down the steep-er side.  Realizing she was going too fast, she BRAKED on the ice. OOPS.  Off she went into a snowbank.  We drove past and up the hill and stopped where it was flat (as did the guy ahead of us.)  The two men went to help, and DD and I went to Nana's  (so she wouldn't worry.)  I had to ferry the truck and DH's supplies back and forth and listen to his copious swearing.  Nicely, many people tried to help-by stopping on up-slope.  OOPS.  At one point, there were FIVE stuck vehicles.  DH's response (privately, in the car), "*Snort, snarl, swear.* I'm not a cop anymore; I can't ORDER people not to do stupid <stuff>." 

Meanwhile, while the men were being manly and saving people from themselves, Mama called the Sheriff's Office.  I asked the nice girl if anyone was on duty at Road and Bridge if a road needed sanding.  "Well, Ma'am, they can be called out, but only on a case by case basis.  We're the ones to make the call."  So I explained the carnage at the slough (no actual carnage, btw, just stuck vehicles) and she said, "I'm new, but I'll talk to a supervisor."  By the time we left Nana's a few hours later, the WHOLE ROAD (not just the slough) had been heavily sanded.  Quick municipal response.  On Christmas Day.  I :001_wub:  this place.

• Like 7

And just like that, I am back to not sleeping. :huh:

Did you try the melatonin again?  I know my mom has used it in the past, but she has issues with becoming resistant.  So she rotates that with a supplement called "Relax-All with Phenibut."  The manufacturer is MRM and she gets is at a health food store.  It has calcium and magnesium  and an herbal blend including L-tryptophan, valerian, and some other herbs.  FWIW.

Sorry you can't sleep.  That's a horrible feeling. :sad:

Don't take risk on treacherous roads!!  (And don't go swimming in the sea...) ;)  Be safe!

Does your church broadcast online?

No, they don't broadcast online.  The church cancelled the 10am service and are having the 11am only. 

My car doesn't have windshield wipers, and it's supposed to start snowing again. There's no way I'd take the highway anyway. It's 20 minutes on the highway, and conditions are yellow. Dh's suv which is a 4x4 hasn't worked in 3-4 weeks. His truck is not a 4x4, but decided to stop working on Christmas day. He thinks it's the fuel pump - the new one that was fixed 2 weeks ago. :glare:

• Like 2

It seems it was hit worse south of us, which is rare. I-40 from Albuquerque to the Texas border has severe driving conditions, and they were telling people to stay off of it. Before 10pm last night, they responded to 178 accidents/rollovers in Albuquerque. The snow had started in earnest late afternoon. There were blizzard conditions, and there were warnings days prior. You would think...but, nah, some people just don't.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

I'm back...I think. New computer, most of the data is on it, trying to get PageMaker to work, still working on getting everything back into Outlook. The down side is that I had an ergonomic keyboard that was upwards of 20 years old (we liked it so much that we bought three of them at once--the store was going out of business and the keyboards were $20 each!), and its connector will not fit anywhere in the new computer. I love an ergonomic keyboard, so we'll be keyboard shopping next week.

Missed y'all. Sorry to read of illnesses  :grouphug:  and horrible weather and all, glad to read about merry Christmases.

Missed a booya at the top of this page... :crying:

• Like 8

I stand corrected: I-40 was actually closed down from Albuquerque to the Texas border. Snow drifts 6-10 feet, stranded motorists...

People, do not journey on treacherous roads! Stay home for goodness sakes! This isn't even the worst we've ever had, but people...

We stay home because, well, no good vehicle and no where to go. The pantry is stocked, the place is warm, and we have Roku and Mexican hot chocolate.

• Like 9

So far, 11 deaths and about that many tornadoes.  It rained all night so there is flooding, but the cold front came in, so no more tornadoes.  All of the tornadoes were to our north and east.  I don't think my county had any, but it was still close.  Having grown up with tornadoes and never experienced one, I don't usually get worried.  Last spring, friends who live about 45 minutes from us with acreage and livestock had a tornado pass about 100 yards from their house and take out their huge barn.  The goats and dogs were in it at the time, but everyone was okay.  I saw it a few weeks later, and it was really impressive.  A single light hung from a ceiling beam, even though the roof was gone.

I was watching a video earlier from a couple of storm chasers. Every flash of lightening would show this monstrosity of a tornado. At one point, a flash showed other funnels coming out of the cloud. It was scary stuff. My sister and bil have posted randomness on fb within the last 6 hours, so I'm assuming they're ok.

• Like 3

Did you try the melatonin again?  I know my mom has used it in the past, but she has issues with becoming resistant.  So she rotates that with a supplement called "Relax-All with Phenibut."  The manufacturer is MRM and she gets is at a health food store.  It has calcium and magnesium  and an herbal blend including L-tryptophan, valerian, and some other herbs.  FWIW.

Sorry you can't sleep.  That's a horrible feeling. :sad:

My BFF told me that she takes Valerian Root, 

Noooooo!  I know you said you went without melatonin one night, did you go back to it and it didn't work? 

I didn't take it two nights ago and slept badly, getting up at 2 am to take it. 

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

(((Dawn)))

Tex, no. I was going up and down so I kept thinking I was getting better. Plus, all I could think about was how badly medication screwed me up as a kid. My PPD lasted 9 months. It was some of the worst I've ever heard of.

I don't know what you were on as a kid, but Zoloft is extremely well-studied in pregnant and nursing moms. 

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 3

I was watching a video earlier from a couple of storm chasers. Every flash of lightening would show this monstrosity of a tornado. At one point, a flash showed other funnels coming out of the cloud. It was scary stuff. My sister and bil have posted randomness on fb within the last 6 hours, so I'm assuming they're ok.

It was really bad.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

I'm dying of death. It's like 5,000 degrees in this church. Everyone seems to think it's cold and they all keep mumbling something about pregnancy hormones. Speaking of pregnancy hormones I'm glowing! It's about time. I've looked like the grim reapers girlfriend for the past 3 months.

I'm in the nursery with the heat turned off by the way. I'm not hiving in church. Why do they not have milkshakes available? You'd think that would be a thing.

• Like 6

I don't know what you were on as a kid, but Zoloft is extremely well-studied in pregnant and nursing moms.  I was on it while nursing one of my babies.  Zoloft is contraindicated for people with Bipolar d/o, but I don't think that is you.  Something to stick in your hat just in case.

I would second Zoloft. I used it while pregnant for a time, until I leveled out. It has always worked the best for me with little to no side effects. 

• Like 1

I'm dying of death. It's like 5,000 degrees in this church. Everyone seems to think it's cold and they all keep mumbling something about pregnancy hormones. Speaking of pregnancy hormones I'm glowing! It's about time. I've looked like the grim reapers girlfriend for the past 3 months.

I'm in the nursery with the heat turned off by the way. I'm not hiving in church. Why do they not have milkshakes available? You'd think that would be a thing.

Milkshakes should always be available for pregnant moms!

• Like 2

I don't know what you were on as a kid, but Zoloft is extremely well-studied in pregnant and nursing moms. I was on it while nursing one of my babies. Zoloft is contraindicated for people with Bipolar d/o, but I don't think that is you. Something to stick in your hat just in case.

I did not have a mental problem as a kid. Medication was the wrong treatment. I know now I should have been medicated for the PPD. I told Matt that if he thinks it's bad to tell me and I'll get help. Unfortunately when I went to see a psychiatrist he told me there was no such thing as PPD and I just had depression and needed long term treatment. He made me feel stupid and I didn't want to go back. He also told me to get a job because it would be good for me. It said it was unhealthy to be with kids all day and it was worsening my depression. He was the exact opposite of what I needed, but he was the only one in the area that took my insurance.

• Like 1

I did not have a mental problem as a kid. Medication was the wrong treatment. I know now I should have been medicated for the PPD. I told Matt that if he thinks it's bad to tell me and I'll get help. Unfortunately when I went to see a psychiatrist he told me there was no such thing as PPD and I just had depression and needed long term treatment. He made me feel stupid and I didn't want to go back. He also told me to get a job because it would be good for me. It said it was unhealthy to be with kids all day and it was worsening my depression. He was the exact opposite of what I needed, but he was the only one in the area that took my insurance.

Your OB can prescribe Zoloft.  Skip the shrinks.  I hope you don't need it, but it is a pretty common issue.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

Critterfixer, I think my cats have ear mites.  My old cat never had them so assume the kitten brought them from the shelter.  I've treated them directed in the ears twice, and they persist.  Will fipronil applied between the shoulder blades get rid of the mites?  The cats are indoors only and do not have fleas or ticks, but I want to get rid of the mites because my old cat is really bothered by them.

• Like 1

Your OB can prescribe Zoloft. Skip the shrinks. I hope you don't need it, but it is a pretty common issue. I did not have PPD. I had situational depression. I also had a terrible depression crash after weaning one of my babies. I was suddenly suicidal for no reason. Two months on an SSRI, and I was fine. It was hormones. That only happened one time out of four weanings, though.

I still don't have an official OB. I will meet him soon and I plan to bring it up.

• Like 1

My BFF told me that she takes Valerian Root, which works better than melatonin for her.  I got it in the mail today so will take it tonight.  If I still don't sleep, it's back to trazodone, at least temporarily.  I'm already on oral magnesium and mag oil spray.

I didn't take it two nights ago and slept badly, getting up at 2 am to take it.  I took extra last night (9 mg) and used the essential oils but lie there until 4 am before drifting off, waking up at 5 am and then drifting off again at some point.  

:grouphug:   Glad you have something else to try tonight!

• Like 1

:grouphug:   Ugh.  What an idiot.  So ridiculous. 

• Like 4

Church service went fine this morning. A little awkward, but generally nice. They had a nice potluck lunch afterwards and someone brought a delicious fresh greens/spinach salad, which was very welcome (my in-laws have no fresh fruit or veggies whatsoever) and a very tasty cake with strawberry filling. Some of dh's family came for the service as well (his brother and kids and their families) and they are all super nice and fun, so it was nice to see all of them again. :)

• Like 5

Yeah, I agree with you because having our two together is so great, but Matt wants them separated in case I get PPD again he'd rather take care of the baby in a room by itself than bother the kids. He took care of Mary every night for around 6 months because I was just broken.

I think we'll move them together after he/she (ultrasound on the 30th) starts sleeping through the night.

Good plan.  My babies were in with me until they outgrew the bassinet, which was usually around 6-8 months... we'd keep it on the floor when they were strong enough to potentially climb out, though none ever did.  So by they time they moved in with the others, they were already sleeping through the night.  Even if they did wake crying, they never seemed to the disturb the others.  

• Like 6

Good Morning!

(((Dawn))))

I'm so sorry.  Mamas should be exempt from all illnesses.  We gotta get you and that plague ship of yours healthy.  

• Like 3

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 2

I saw one, too. That thing was a monster. It was horrifying to watch. I feel so bad for all the people affected.

And in a lighter note, I was so irritated in church today. We sang "I wonder as I Wander" and the first verse is so grammatically incorrect. I know they were trying to keep it rhyming, but good grief people.... It's the same thing with that "As the Deer Panteth for the Water" song, which I really don't like. But they are so inconsistent.... Either use "thee and thou" or "you" but stop mixing the two expressions. Inconsistency in lyrics really really bugs me!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

And in a lighter note, I was so irritated in church today. We sang "I wonder as I Wander" and the first verse is so grammatically incorrect. I know they were trying to keep it rhyming, but good grief people.... It's the same thing with that "As the Deer Panteth for the Water" song, which I really don't like. But they are so inconsistent.... Either use "thee and thou" or "you" but stop mixing the two expressions. Inconsistency in lyrics really really bugs me!

DD and I were in the car the other day ranting about songs with grammatically incorrect lyrics.  Preach it, sister!!!  :lol:

• Like 4

(((soul sister))))

I feel exactly the same way. :cheers2:

• Like 6

Grammatically incorrect songs drive me crazy. 

Also, my husband just cooked Hot Pockets in the oven. Isn't that why we have a microwave? He says they taste better in the oven. They're Hot Pockets! They're supposed to be cold on the outside and molten lava on the inside. You only get that from microwaves. 

He has a lot to learn.  :lol:

• Like 3

Also, if I get History of the Ancient World as a spine (audio only), should I get the teacher guide and map supplements?

I got it all. The map supplement is pretty cheap but I don't know that I'm going to use it with my boys because it is a different way of learning mapping. So I vote skip it. If you order the student workbook thingie, it has the teacher's guide included.
  • Like 4