Menu

Ignore this thread!

Oh he doesn't want to. All of the moms I know think I'm short changing him.

You know ITT moms. None of us force our 4-5 year old children to do 40 minutes of phonics a day. Trust me on this one. And unless those other moms you know are going to come into your house and force your child to do 40 minutes of phonics every day, it's none of their business.

Pass the bean dip. And hope they fart in their car and knock everyone out.

• Like 9

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

You know ITT moms. None of us force our 4-5 year old children to do 40 minutes of phonics a day. Trust me on this one. And unless those other moms you know are going to come into your house and force your child to do 40 minutes of phonics every day, it's none of their business.

Pass the bean dip. And hope they fart in their car and knock everyone out.

I think part of the problem is that it's all our first kid and they see other kids that are advanced and they think that's what they have to do to get ahead. I know one mom doing Abeka 5 with a 4 year old and he's having a really hard time. John does less school than any of the other PK homeschoolers we know, but he's also the farthest ahead. I think most of the reason he's ahead is because school isn't something he dreads. He likes it and he devours the knowledge rather than fighting it.

#ijustmisspelledknowledge

• Like 5

But malls have Jamba Juice. Jamba's my thing. Well, that and no pants. Not simultaneously.

My town has a Jamba Juice just off the square between an antique shop and frozen yogurt place. No mall required. It's a pretty easy bike ride from my house, so come on over.

ETA: or walk; we can walk, or I will drive you.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

I got fresh pants from the dryer (nice and toasty!)  Then I rushed to the chiro.  To find them closed because Tuesday is a.m.'s only.  Dd gave me a hard time but I was vindicated when I got home because my new laptop said that today's date was tomorrow's date - and that was what I looked at. 

#I'mnotasbraindeadasIthought

Then since we were out I went and practically mortgaged the house to get the supplements I need (and I mean need because they are probiotics and I have the gut biome from hell).  And I went across the street and accosted SIL at work to make sure that the 12 pound turkey I have really is big enough.  It is. 

Oh and I went to the grocery store where they have a chicken wings bar and I got some wings.  But the container they gave me wouldn't stay closed so I had to weight down the lid so that the wings wouldn't fly around in my car.

#truestory

Oh, and speaking of wings, this reminded me that when I woke up this morning there was a thing on my newsfeed that said that Russia was mad because Turkey brought down a plane.  And I was wondering for about five minutes why they were mad about a bird flying into a plane engine.

#isitreallyfoggyinhereorisitjustmybrain?

• Like 6

I want to teach middle school history, middle school writing, and high school literature now. It all looks so fun. I was never interested in teaching a child to read or add. I think that's one reason school only takes 10 minutes. Well, "school" takes 10 minutes. Art, music, nursery rhymes, play acting, singing, growing plants, and watching YouTube is all day, but I'm not into this 40 minutes of phonics games thing.

I taught middle school for 11 years and loved it. It's a great age. I taught English and Science. I liked science best. No essays to grade. I hated that. But middle schoolers are fun!
  • Like 6

I think part of the problem is that it's all our first kid and they see other kids that are advanced and they think that's what they have to do to get ahead. I know one mom doing Abeka 5 with a 4 year old and he's having a really hard time. John does less school than any of the other PK homeschoolers we know, but he's also the farthest ahead. I think most of the reason he's ahead is because school isn't something he dreads. He likes it and he devours the knowledge rather than fighting it.

That's how it was with my firstborn - we did practically nothing. Smart and bilingual. So booya.

• Like 5

3,000+ words added to the novel today. I'm at 60,609. I compiled, submitted and got my shiny new medal for my word count. Go me!

Kitty still feels puny, but she's well hydrated and her fever is down. I hope a good sleep without throwing up will help her to feel better tomorrow. Well, that, and her antibiotics because itty-bitty had a pretty good elevation in her white cell count.

• Like 9

Jamba Juice is too expensive here.  I don't think I've had it ever.  

On human meat in McDonald's hamburgers:  http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/humanmeat.asp

I made it through the entire game without losing my cool, which was miracle #1.  Miracle #2 - I left the turkey defrosting on the counter top while we left the house for five hours with the crazy counter surfing kitten loose. :huh:   I thought better of this plan about halfway home from the out of town game.  When we arrived, I rushed in to find the turkey unmolested.  At some point in my life, I have done something right.  (I must have been really young and don't remember because I've been a rebel for awhile now.)

I used 100 EZ Lessons to teach two of my kids to read.  If I thought I had to do 40 minutes of 100 EZ Lessons, I would shoot myself.  Ten minutes was plenty.  Both kids got halfway through the book and were 100% onto Bob books and the SL early readers.  Those books were a hoot. :lol:

College girl reported on a new date she had - seems like a nice young lad.  He is 27 so he is fully baked.  The others were green and needed ripening.  Sorry to mix metaphors.  It's late, and I am exhausted from the amazing self-restraint I used.  

P.S.  The refs sucked.  I didn't boo them. :laugh: I put myself in a corner at the top of the bleachers, which helps, I think.

• Like 7

Oh, I did not quote Bible verses at the game, but I did sing Amazing Grace inside my head because it was the hymn which came to mind.

Also, if anyone wants to join Ebates (cool program in which you get a percentage back for shopping online through the site, I will send you a link and then I get like a million dollars or something.  I bought tires online for my odd father's car and will get $14 back.  It's a good deal, and I downloaded a thingie on my tool bar which now prompts me to sign in through their site.  Easiest thing I ever did.  I get paypal deposited every quarter.

I will now be kicked off this site for advertising Ebates or something so it has been nice knowing you all. :leaving:

• Like 6

The delightfulness of my day actually started at the end of one of my classes. It was open house/parent day and several parents, grandparents, and other visitors sat in on part or all of class. At the end of class I thanked the dad of one student for coming and I was glad to have his son in class. The dad's response was, "well, it was interesting." It was not a positive usage of the word.

Really? That's all you can say?

• Like 3

You also texted me regularly to let me know of your self control status.  I'm sure that is what really helped you from turning into the Hulk.  ;)

It is true.  It kept me accountable.  I did this while practicing deep breathing and singing hymns inside my head and hiding behind a support beam in the top of the bleachers in the corner.  It was actually awesome because I could see the folks in front of me getting mad so I let them do the emoting for me.  I think it's my new strategy. :hat:

I also clutched my purse on my lap and held my phone, both of which discouraged spontaneous jumping up and yelling.  I didn't want to pitch my heavy purse into the folks sitting in front of me and toss my phone to the sky. :lol:

• Like 3

The delightfulness of my day actually started at the end of one of my classes. It was open house/parent day and several parents, grandparents, and other visitors sat in on part or all of class. At the end of class I thanked the dad of one student for coming and I was glad to have his son in class. The dad's response was, "well, it was interesting." It was not a positive usage of the word.

Really? That's all you can say?

Let me at 'im!  I have a lot of pent-up anger.

• Like 3

Nah. He's just quick. Really. It's okay.

• Like 1

Everyone please rush out and get Charles and Mary Lamb's Tales from Shakespeare to read to your elementary kids.  Just trust me on this.

This has been my educational post of the day.

This? Why? http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Shakespeare-Student-Complete-Unabridged/dp/1441405658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448424582&sr=8-1&keywords=tales+from+shakespeare+by+charles+and+mary+lamb

Edited by Renai

Yes.  The book contains several Shakespeare play retellings which are short and accessible to kids.  I just finished reading Hamlet to little dd.  I am planning to read the Hamlet one to my high school English class prior to having them listen to a reading of it and then watching a movie of it.  I should be able to read it aloud to the class in one hour.

Slow introduction, getting them familiar with the plot before jumping into the archaic language and then rewarding ourselves with the movie because Shakespeare is meant to be watched and not read.

• Like 5

I will be using a garlic press to juice my key limes.  Thank you, internet.

Does this mean we can use our lime juicer to press our elephant garlic?

Because we broke our garlic press on elephant garlic chunks and #mincingtakesforever

• Like 2

:hurray: We should have an arranged marriage for our dc20. It would be an ITT wedding. Everyone could attend. :hat:

I'll bring the cheese curls and root beer for the reception.

Oh look - a booya to ya!

We can all sing this for the recessional.

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue posting forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6