Menu

Strength training

Night Elf

in your home. What does that look like? I have 3 lb. hand weights that DH owned before we married, so I haven't used them myself. Is strength training using hand weights like this? How long is your workout? The only area I'd love to tone is my upper arms. Mostly, I just want to add strength training to my treadmill workouts to balance my exercise regime. How many days per week is strength training? Is it done on the same days as cardio?

I do bodyweight exercises focusing on a progression. When I started I could maybe do 10 knee pushups, but over the past 4-5 years I've moved up to being able to do 50+ regular pushups without stopping. (it takes time though). My arms look fab!

• Like 6

You always want to leave at least one day between one strength training session and another. Some people who focus on specific muscle groups will do upper body one day and lower body the next while the upper body rests. If you do exercises that strengthen the whole body at once, you want to leave 1 recovery day. I have read that training a muscle group 3x per week has no benefit over 2x per week. You may want to research that, though.

I recently posted a thread asking about bodyweight exercises. Here it is:http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/543758-what-are-your-favorite-body-weight-strength-training-moves-for-beginners/

Here is my current set: (ETA: you can look on Youtube to see these done with proper form)

Here are the bodyweight exercises that I do: 

Squats

Planks

The bridge

Push-ups (modified)

Lunges

Bird Dog

I am getting ready to add weights to the squats because I could get all the way through "Bring Sally Up" with just body weight. (That's on the other thread. It's a fun song.)

I have done the 7 minute workout before as well.

• Like 3

You can use the barbells while on the treadmill (if you're walking) or get the soft ones that go over your hands. I do arm exercises while I'm on a recumbent bike. I also work out to YouTube videos. There's great arm ones by Rebecca Louise (blonde British woman) on xhit. I do those when I'm taking the day off cardio.

http://smile.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425656062&sr=1-1&keywords=lift+weights+like+a+man

Get this book. about ten bucks at Amazon.  Has all the info you need to know.  Before my car crash and resultant restrictions :-(  I was strength training three days a week.  This book explains what to do and why, provides more than enough varied exercises (and alternating different sets, too) and how to increase sets/weights.

Look at Amazon, local second hand sporting goods stores, etc. and find more weights. Three pound weights won't do diddly.  You can get sets of weights or, better yet, a small set like this so you can change the weights for different exercises, etc.

http://smile.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-40-pound-Adjustable-Dumbbell/dp/B000VCDXNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425656323&sr=8-1&keywords=barbell+sets+for+women

I also used these: http://smile.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Exercise/dp/7245456313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425656379&sr=8-1&keywords=exercise+bands+with+handles

You can connive ways to replicate expensive gym equipment with these bands. A few well-placed hooks in a  basement ceiling beam and these bands and you have a pull-down machine.  I sit and brace my feet against the dining room table and wrap the bands around the base of the table (it is a big oak table) and pull for the rowing exercise.  Using the anchor that comes with this set shutting it in a door you can lock gives a pulling machine for standing exercises. 

I got a step http://smile.amazon.com/Step-F1180--High-Step--Gray/dp/B000BO8AAC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425656648&sr=8-3&keywords=exercise+step+platform which can be adjusted for different heights for not only step exercises but also for various lunges.  Most of the steps and lunges you will be holding the barbells, or weights from them, from the first link.

I also have a long (seven foot) barbell and more weights - note, weights come in two hole diameter sizes.  Get the same size barbell pole as the diameter of the CAP dumbbells in my above link, so the weights can be interchangeable.

I also got a cheap bench http://smile.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-Strength-Fitness-Bench/dp/B001IKHUNQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1425656769&sr=8-13&keywords=weight+

and a large sturdy exercise ball. 

NOTE I did not get all this at once!   For now, just the book and the CAP barbell set and you can get started.  Later on as you read the book and perhaps want to do more you can look for more equipment, either Amazon or used.  Just don't expect to accomplish much with the small weights you have now. 

Oh, and improvisation is good.  For example, I can barely do any push-ups.  So I followed the book and started with push-ups off the edge of the kitchen counter.  Then later I was strong enough to push off a lower sturdy chair.  Then off the coffee table (braced it against the couch so it would not move).  Still can't quite do a push-up off the floor (I use cheap colorful mats meant for kids that I saw on sale at the hardware store) but may get there someday.

Strengthen training is like homeschooling - you get the book (I'm looking at you, WTM tome!) , but adapt it to your needs and don't  try to do everything at once!    There are some exercises in New Rules for Lifting I will never do, as I simply do not intend to set foot in a "real" gym, and can't replicate everything at home. So what?  Doing even a fraction of the stuff in New Rules is far better than doing nothing at all.

• Like 10

Yikes! It sounds complicated. I'll research these things. Thanks for all the links. Now I have something to do today. I'd definitely need to start off small. I'm also working on increasing the number of days I walk on the treadmill. Last year I was walking 5 days, but lost all momentum after I stopped.

• Like 2

Yikes! It sounds complicated. I'll research these things. Thanks for all the links. Now I have something to do today. I'd definitely need to start off small. I'm also working on increasing the number of days I walk on the treadmill. Last year I was walking 5 days, but lost all momentum after I stopped.

This is why I went with a setup similar to Laurie4b. I do pushups, squats, bridges, handstands, and chinups. The only equipment I need is a bar, and honestly I started by putting my bar at waist-height, leaning back, and pulling myself towards it.

I found that when I started thinking about getting weights and all those other things, I got so overwhelmed with everything to do that I just ... shut down and didn't do ANYTHING.

Since your arms are your problem area, just start by adding pushups 3 times a week. Here's a progression -- http://www.stumptuous.com/mistressing-the-pushup(her tone is a little irreverent, but I like her attitude).

• Like 4

I enjoy doing DVD's that have the workouts all laid out for me. Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones is a great all-strength-training workout. You can start with using 3lb weights, and work your way up. I have a pair of 3's, 5's and 8's that all see some use during that DVD as I switch them out, depending on which muscle is being worked, and how strong it already is. You might also try searching YouTube for weighted workouts, so that you don't have to try to come up with a whole regimen on your own. :) Oh, and Yoga also counts, as you're using your own body weight as your resistance. Downward Dog for shoulders, chatarunga (sp) for tricepts, etc.

http://smile.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425656062&sr=1-1&keywords=lift+weights+like+a+man

Get this book. about ten bucks at Amazon. Has all the info you need to know. Before my car crash and resultant restrictions :-( I was strength training three days a week. This book explains what to do and why, provides more than enough varied exercises (and alternating different sets, too) and how to increase sets/weights.

I LOVE this book. I've dabbled in strength training for 15 years but haven't been serious. I know most women lift lighter weights than they can actually handle, but didn't realize I was one of them. After struggling with no weight loss for over two years, this book is part of what had caused me to start losing weight and inches from my body.

I am significantly stronger than I realized.

• Like 5

We have the Bowflex free weights that one can dial the right amount of weight. They hardly take up space and the entire family can use them.

Wow! Am I looking at the wrong thing on Amazon? The Bowflex weights I found were in the $200 range. I am not ready to make that kind of commitment. I am still trying to get back into the swing of walking on my treadmill. It's slow going.

• Like 1

Great thread.  I'm starting to see that I need to focus more on more serious strength training than I have been to lose this last bit of weight.  I'm currently doing what the gym guy where I workout calls "Bursts."  It's a 30 min. program (5 warmup, 20 program, 5 cool down) with body weight, kettle bells, resistance bands, TRX thingies, a water ball, etc.  He comes up with 7 different exercises for one session using a variety of these tools. I work my way through those seven exercises as many times as I can in 20 minutes.  So, maybe 10 arm pulls on the TRX, 30 Russian twists, 20 lunges with a kettle bell, 20 hamstring curls on the TRX, 10 chest presses on TRX, 15 water ball slams and 10 pull ups on the inclined row machine.  Something like that.  He really likes me to go quick and get through it as many times as possible, but I half wonder if I should go a little bit slower and focus on heavier weights, deeper push ups, etc. 

What is your opinion on this workout?  Can I accomplish the development of muscle with it, or is it too much cardio?  (My heart really gets going.)  So far, while I've used a little bit heavier kettle balls since almost this time last year, I haven't focused on using heavier and heavier ones like I know (after reading this thread) think I should be doing.  Just wondering if I should quit the gym, maybe, get some dumbbells and do some of this stuff at home instead. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 3

I LOVE this book. I've dabbled in strength training for 15 years but haven't been serious. I know most women lift lighter weights than they can actually handle, but didn't realize I was one of them. After struggling with no weight loss for over two years, this book is part of what had caused me to start losing weight and inches from my body.

I am significantly stronger than I realized.

I know! And the information on what to eat and how important protein is, how the strength training can increase ones metabolism too, is invaluable.  I took to drinking a protein powder, well, not a smoothie (I hate those things)  but just the powder dissolved in water, after each workout, too. 

Great thread.  I'm starting to see that I need to focus more on more serious strength training than I have been to lose this last bit of weight.  I'm currently doing what the gym guy where I workout calls "Bursts."  It's a 30 min. program (5 warmup, 20 program, 5 cool down) with body weight, kettle bells, resistance bands, TRX thingies, a water ball, etc.  He comes up with 7 different exercises for one session using a variety of these tools. I work my way through those seven exercises as many times as I can in 20 minutes.  So, maybe 10 arm pulls on the TRX, 30 Russian twists, 20 lunges with a kettle bell, 20 hamstring curls on the TRX, 10 chest presses on TRX, 15 water ball slams and 10 pull ups on the inclined row machine.  Something like that.  He really likes me to go quick and get through it as many times as possible, but I half wonder if I should go a little bit slower and focus on heavier weights, deeper push ups, etc. 

What is your opinion on this workout?  Can I accomplish the development of muscle with it, or is it too much cardio?  (My heart really gets going.)  So far, while I've used a little bit heavier kettle balls since almost this time last year, I haven't focused on using heavier and heavier ones like I know (after reading this thread) think I should be doing.  Just wondering if I should quit the gym, maybe, get some dumbbells and do some of this stuff at home instead. 

Thoughts? 

This sounds like HIIT.  I like HIIT but I alternate days between that and lifting weights.  When I started doing weights I got stronger, lost weight, and the HIIT became easier.   The combo of the two works really well for me. 

• Like 1

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

I knew I had this!  It is a link to a trainer who made very useful log sheets for day to day logging of all the exercises from the New Rules for Lifting book.  Note - there is a password to access the file with the log sheets.  If you HAVE the book, you have the password (it is a couple words from certain sentences in the book.)

These sheets (charts, what have you) are free.  It is just in order to offer them she had to promise to only give them to folks who bought the book. 

Oh, and here is the protein powder I use (it also comes in smaller packages) http://smile.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein-Isolate-Packaging/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425688042&sr=1-1&keywords=now+foods+protein+powder

It really does 99% mix thoroughly into water or juice.  I also get the Dutch Chocolate flavor, but that is for my adult son with autism, who refuses to eat any protein.  A good scoop of this, mixed with milk, at least gets SOMETHING into him!

This sounds like HIIT.  I like HIIT but I alternate days between that and lifting weights.  When I started doing weights I got stronger, lost weight, and the HIIT became easier.   The combo of the two works really well for me. 

Yes, and I do think he thinks of it as HIIT as well.  So what would I, someone without much experience but a bit of knowledge, do for strength training?  I can't afford a different program at the gym, but I do have the freedom to use the stuff that's there on my own -- but maybe I'd just do better at home.  What would I do at home on the strength training days?  (Not asking you to plan my workout, just maybe give me an idea .... ).  I just ordered the "New Rules of Lifting for Life" from the library.  I do lunges, some squats, some planks, etc. during the HIIT sessions, do I do those on the strength training days, too, but not in fast repetitions?  Do I use weights and slowly do different types of exercises?  I'm clueless as you can tell!

• Like 1

Yes, and I do think he thinks of it as HIIT as well.  So what would I, someone without much experience but a bit of knowledge, do for strength training?  I can't afford a different program at the gym, but I do have the freedom to use the stuff that's there on my own -- but maybe I'd just do better at home.  What would I do at home on the strength training days?  (Not asking you to plan my workout, just maybe give me an idea .... ).  I just ordered the "New Rules of Lifting for Life" from the library.  I do lunges, some squats, some planks, etc. during the HIIT sessions, do I do those on the strength training days, too, but not in fast repetitions?  Do I use weights and slowly do different types of exercises?  I'm clueless as you can tell!

I think that's exactly what you can do. Our trainer told us to do HIIT three days a week and then do many of the same things on off days, but slower. So on off days I was doing planks, push ups, TRX stuff, squats, etc.  Not quickly, and I did more of things that helped me get stronger (planks). I soon got bored on my off days and started doing weight training instead and after just a few weeks I found I could do things I previously was unable to do.   

You might enjoy getting some weights for home use. I didn't think I'd want to do that kind of thing at home but I'm starting to embrace it because I can do it without having to drive anywhere or commit a lot of time to it. I think the book you ordered if going to inspire you to do some weight work. 

It's frustrating that the trainers at our gym seem so focused on HIIT, especially for women.   

• Like 1

You could check out SparkPeople and just use the fitness tracker. You can set yourself up as a beginner for the strength training, set it for 3 days a week and no equipment, or dumbbells, or whatever you have. It will generate a program for you and show you video demonstrations and it will tell you how many reps to do.

If you add 5 lb and 8 lb weights along with a Swiss ball, you have a lot of flexibility without a lot of cost. This will all come in at under $50 and can be acquired at a local sporting store. If you decide you don't like it, the weights store easily and the Swiss ball makes a great chair if you are sitting for extended periods of time.

Swiss ball can be used in place of a bench and can be easier for a beginner to achieve proper form, in my opinion. Unless you are already strong, things like push-ups and planks will probably need to be modified. You can do push-ups where only your feet and arms touch the ground, or you can do push-ups from your knees (modification). Push-ups from the wall will usually be a modification. If an exercise seems to hard, see if you can find a video of a modification.

When you are ready and if you like the work, then spend some bucks and get a training session with a pro who will help you with body position. This will keep you from hurting yourself down the road.

There are few things that make me feel better about myself than strength training. Go slowly and be sure to ask questions.

• Like 1

Have you looked into the Bikini Body Mommy Challenge?  They are free 90 day challenges that alternate cardio (which has strength built in to it) and strength days.  I love that they are short so I don't have any excuses.  It was also a nice way to get in the habit.  The first challenge I did I only did the strength days and walked on the treadmill on her cardio days.  

I have done lots of different things including P90X, New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, super slow body weight exercises, and now some Body by Science.

Many things are effective.  If you want to work out less but still get great results, try super slow weight lifting.  Fewer reps at a higher weight=less time working out.

As far as actual weights go, we women really do underestimate how much we can handle.

When I started with my trainer, more than a decade after my last serious fitness efforts, she handed me 8lb weights then bumped me up to 12s and 15s within weeks. 20s and 25s for 2-handed exercises.  It was HARD, but doable.  And way less time consuming than trying to reach fatigue with light weights.

(I am not an exercise scientist, so I won't debate the pros and cons of working to muscle failure, but that is the way *I approach strength training.)

• Like 2

Yikes! It sounds complicated.

I like these two very simple programs:

http://www.simplefit.org/workout.html

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

The first one uses body weight. The second one uses a barbell, but I don't have a barbell (and it's too heavy for me anyway) so I use free weights. The first time I did it, I just did bodyweight only for the squats, and 3-pound dumbells for the upper body stuff. I'm now up to 15 pound dumbells for the squats, so 30 total. I think a barbell weighs 40 or 45. Maybe some day! I'm only up to 12 pounds for upper body.

Don't do weights two days in a row, and two or three times a week is sufficient. Both of these programs are 3 days per week, but I just do 2.

• Like 1