Menu

Broken Needle in Leg

AFwife Claire

Oh man, now I'm all kinds of freaked out about the many pins/needles all over my house (being a professional seamstress for years along with a general love of sewing... they end up in the craziest places sometimes).

I will not be sharing this story with DH  -- well unless I want him to tackle the house with a fine tooth (magnetic) comb.

Oh man, now I'm all kinds of freaked out about the many pins/needles all over my house (being a professional seamstress for years along with a general love of sewing... they end up in the craziest places sometimes).

I will not be sharing this story with DH  -- well unless I want him to tackle the house with a fine tooth (magnetic) comb.

I am not freaked out, but definately will not share this story with my DH for the same reasons.  He seems to be the one who finds those pins rather than me.  He once suggested that I count my pins before I begin sewing each day, and then make sure they are all accounted for at the end of the day.   Yeah, right.  Like a roofer counts his nails when he begins his projects.

Note to self: purchase big magnet for clearing sewing room floor and do not allow sharps outside the sewing room.

OP, how incredibly frustrating for your son. I am glad y'all decided to take the situation seriously. It would have been easy to think it was something much less serious (until later when complications arose).

I am not freaked out, but definately will not share this story with my DH for the same reasons.  He seems to be the one who finds those pins rather than me.  He once suggested that I count my pins before I begin sewing each day, and then make sure they are all accounted for at the end of the day.   Yeah, right.  Like a roofer counts his nails when he begins his projects.

I have a kitten that loves straight pins. He will jump up on my table as I am pinning things, take a pin and run away with it. If one falls on the floor that I don't notice, he will find it for me. I have taken to using my magnetic pin as a "sweeper" under the table when I am done for the day. 

I have a kitten that loves straight pins. He will jump up on my table as I am pinning things, take a pin and run away with it. If one falls on the floor that I don't notice, he will find it for me. I have taken to using my magnetic pin as a "sweeper" under the table when I am done for the day.

I do have a magnetic telescoping tool I use in my sewing room,but not all projects get deconstructed and repinned in that room. Have pin cushion, will travel.

Last fall dd stepped on a toothpick stuck in the carpet. It went into the soft part of her foot and broke off. She had to have surgery to remove it.

I feel for her! I did that in college - stepped right on a toothpick that broke off in my foot. I couldn't drive (because it was embedded in my foot) so my poor dad had to drive an hour to come get me and take me to the ER. Luckily, it was a blue toothpick, so they had a fairly easy time opening up my foot and finding all the pieces. 

OP - hope your son is feeling better!

Note to self: purchase big magnet for clearing sewing room floor and do not allow sharps outside the sewing room.

OP, how incredibly frustrating for your son. I am glad y'all decided to take the situation seriously. It would have been easy to think it was something much less serious (until later when complications arose).

I actually have one of those.  It is a strong magnet on a stick.  I think it is for the roofers to use.  

It is also very easy to store.  It hangs off the garage door opener hardware.  

My dd has been asking for a needle so she can sew things.  She's 11.  I've been saying no, and I will continue after reading this!  She can keep on with her kid sewing machine for now!

Interesting that all this talk of magnets has come up . . . We had been talking about what we could possibly do, and of course we thought of magnets.  Dh brought home a bunch of magnets from some old hard drives at his work.  Ds has been wriggling the stack of magnets over where the needle went in, making sure to always have the same side of the magnet up.  I am happy to report that now it seems like he can feel a little painful lump which he thinks is the needle under the skin!  Before the needle was in the muscle, and he couldn't bend his knee at all without feeling a lot of pain.  Now he can bend his knee some (very gingerly--he's very cautious!), and there's no pain.  So this is a tremendous development!  We're actually thinking he and dh might head back into the Bethesda ER tomorrow to see if they can make a small incision and get it out, since it seems so close tot he surface now.  That would be a lot better than surgery, for sure.  Maybe he could even play basketball again before the season is over!

Interesting that all this talk of magnets has come up . . . We had been talking about what we could possibly do, and of course we thought of magnets.  Dh brought home a bunch of magnets from some old hard drives at his work.  Ds has been wriggling the stack of magnets over where the needle went in, making sure to always have the same side of the magnet up.  I am happy to report that now it seems like he can feel a little painful lump which he thinks is the needle under the skin!  Before the needle was in the muscle, and he couldn't bend his knee at all without feeling a lot of pain.  Now he can bend his knee some (very gingerly--he's very cautious!), and there's no pain.  So this is a tremendous development!  We're actually thinking he and dh might head back into the Bethesda ER tomorrow to see if they can make a small incision and get it out, since it seems so close tot he surface now.  That would be a lot better than surgery, for sure.  Maybe he could even play basketball again before the season is over!

Awesome.  Really awesome.  Now here's the question:  Can he spend the rest of this year working on the patent and the marketable form of this treatment so that the hospital could have done it?  :lol:

I'm not sure I would encourage him to mess with the pin in his leg.  I'm assuming the doctor's determined the urgency based off of where the pin had settled.  Moving it about freely might put it closer to a more critical location.