Menu

What color should I paint the school room?

RosieCotton

The drywall is done on the wall that needed replacing. We are painting soon. As we never painted this room initially as our posters and whiteboards just went up too quickly, I'm asking for the whole room to get a quick covering to freshen it up. (Many tape marks!)

The room is well lit with overhead LED's, and I'm thinking about a very light grey or something earthy but light. Nothing too dark as the sunlight comes in from the bedrooms adjacent, there are no windows in this long wide room in the bsmt. The tile is cream with light beige granite look to it.

I thought some looking for gentle distraction today would like to chime in . .. 

Pick a color, any color!

I love grey, green, blue (the colors of the sea as Sarah Plain & Tall would say)

I have a lovely light grey in the entire open floor plan space.

Behr Silver Screen 770E-2

My floors are a very light beige laminate, & the trim is white.  This grey goes wonderfully with creamy beiges (like the effect of neutrals together here. )

How about madera (from dunn-edwards). It is the color chosen by the Getty museum to best show off the artwork. (we found that out after we did our first floor in that with sea foam as an accent.)

I read something once about choices for classroom colors (forgot where know, but I was deciding how to decorate my 1st kg room) and remember that too bright or too subtle were no-nos as well as greys/browns. 

My other choice would be a turquoise blue (not bright, not dark). Too dark or creamy and you get a sleepy feeling.

At least one wall or wide stripe on the wall should be chalk board paint. It's available in a variety of colors, and some brands can be custom mixed to any colors. Personally, I like the idea of creating a green hill with a blue sky and some magenta touches such as shown on this can:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UJLW3K/ref=asc_df_B005UJLW3K3419267?smid=AS0K3MKEU5H24&tag=pgmp-844-97-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395109&creativeASIN=B005UJLW3K

oh.. I want to do t he magnetic paint on one wall and then top it off with the dry erase paint to make a whole wall for writing/drawing plus using magnetic manipluatives (of course when DH gets the garage remodeled for a classroom.... :lol: ).

I used magnetic paint on one wall, then painted a different color over it. The extra coat of paint reduced the magnetism, so that the magnetic we intended to use wouldn't stick. It holds only very, very light magnets. 

Martha Stewart Brook Trout is my absolute favorite color. While it is darker, it reflects light well and doesn't cause the room to become dark. It's a great neutral, too, and shifts from brown to grey depending on the lighting. Our basement playroom is painted this color (as well as the entire first floor, both stairwells and landings. The basement isn't a walkout and has almost no natural light.

I'm the neutral Queen. Blue or yellow would make me crazy, I love a soft background that lets my eye focus on other things, like art. I love a gorgeous taupe or creamy beige or a pretty latte color, nothing that tends orangy or putty.

I will say though that my master bath is ben moores palladian blue and it is gorgeous, but for living areas I'm all about the neutrals.

School rooms are fun, good luck

Depends how light your area is. For a very northern gray climate, I chose very light yellow for our office as we have almost no natural light in it.

For anywhere with a normal amount of sun, very light blue as per the much-liked post above, or very light sea foam green for relaxing.

We're painting everything right now. Paint chips are everywhere. :)

I just discovered a company called Farrow and Ball. Their colors a gorgeous! We're going to their shop this weekend, I'm pretty excited. I'm having such a hard time making a choice. I feel like I know all the Dunn Edwards and Benjamin Moore color names.

Farrow and Ball have a lot of easy going colors that could work in a room like you described.

Right now I want to use a color called Dead Salmon Haha! It's pretty!

I just painted my basement SW Accessible Beige.  It's a nice greige, leaning more to the beige tones.  http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7036-accessible-beige/

Our new school is definitely not a color you are wanting, but I'm loving it.  It's Martha Stewart's Plummage, a deep turquoise.  I love it!  http://www.favoritepaintcolorsblog.com/2014/05/plumage-3.html