Menu

Selling/buying/moving homes support thread

prairiewindmomma

Y'all, this is seriously so stressful for me right now. Any one else want to commiserate? Realtor just said I should get a radon test done for our basement even though I had one done a couple of years ago. Apparently everyone in our neck of the woods is failing them in the inspection. It's the little curve balls like this that are just killing me with anxiety. Juggling homeschooling + toddler = full plate already. Hopefully we can get everything done and get the house listed ASAP.

I completely understand curveballs and juggling children. Just got home from spending too much money at Lowes for stuff for the kitchen in the house we're trying to list by the end of the week. We're already living in the new house and just had our first month of double mortgage. Yikes! Hoping it sells fast. Hang in there!!!

We're more than likely in this boat too.  My DH is interviewing for a job and it sounds like it is his if he wants it.  Just had the second of three realtors over to look at the house.  We just bought it 18 months ago; thought we'd be here longer.  We had to pour a bunch of money into the house for various reasons and we know we'll get none of it back.  With the realtor fees (we did a FSBO) and such we will actually lose money.  Not to mention we're moving from a very cheap COL community to one of the top three as far as housing (our home is worth 170K and we are moving to a place with more or less equivalent being 600-800K).

Prayers welcome.   :willy_nilly:

ETA:

PS  Did I mention we'll find out about the job about 1 week before we head to Israel for three weeks and then come home for about 2 weeks then the house has to be ready to move as we are going to Japan for three months.  Good news, I won't put the house on the market until we move everything else out - no homeschooling in a house that needs to be ready at all times to be shown.  Bad news, I have to get this house ready for the movers in the next couple of weeks even if I don't know we will move.  At least I will declutter  (I hope!).

Sigh. Our house has been on the market since July. Yep. We're going on seven months of living in a house that is on the market. During that time we've had only seven showings and a couple of open houses. There is a reason our pool of shoppers is small (higher priced home in an average school district right next to an excellent school district). The good thing is that everyone who sees it loves the house, and we've come very close to getting an offer several times, even though we've had so few showings. Someone even wrote an offer and then decided not to submit it at the last minute. The bad thing is...no actual offers.

We recently closed on our new home and we're in the process of moving things over to the new place (two hours away) while keep the old one pristine. Our old house is 5000 square feet, so it takes hours just to do a basic pick up and vacuuming. We are living part time in both houses now, and each time we go to the new house, I have to leave the old house in perfect showing condition. Just in case someone calls to see it. Which no one ever does. :sad:

It's exhausting.

We are working on our house to list it hopefully in the next few weeks and oh my goodness, I had no idea how many little repairs had accumulated over the last 10 years. Drywall patches, roof work, electrical in the garage, loose boards on the deck, water damage to the exterior door frame, on and on. We are finally down to organization and staging. Which is mostly my job. I am exhausted. 3rd trimester is not the time to be doing this!

I am also worried about how to keep the house pristine with a 6yo and 3yo running around here all day, every day. I hope it sells fast!

Good luck to all of you as well!

Anyone else listing fsbo? We are tossing around the idea. Any good resources to suggest for info?

We are working on our house to list it hopefully in the next few weeks and oh my goodness, I had no idea how many little repairs had accumulated over the last 10 years. Drywall patches, roof work, electrical in the garage, loose boards on the deck, water damage to the exterior door frame, on and on. We are finally down to organization and staging. Which is mostly my job. I am exhausted. 3rd trimester is not the time to be doing this!

I am also worried about how to keep the house pristine with a 6yo and 3yo running around here all day, every day. I hope it sells fast!

Anyone else listing fsbo? We are tossing around the idea. Any good resources to suggest for info?

We tried fsbo last year, and even nearly got a contract signed. It fell through and now looking back we wished that we had gotten an agent first time round. As they would have had a deposit, and it would have improved the outcome. We had a break and relisted it in Nov. but now it's a stale property. People are wondering if it's so good why didn't it sell yet etc....

I'm exhausted and drained from months of living in limbo!

ETA: We also heard recently that if we hadn't gone fsbo there was a lady that would have snapped up our place. But she didn't want deal with us the owners.

Ours has been on the market since late September. We've had one offer but it was a joke.

We just lowered the price so I'm praying we'll get some traffic, but so far... nothing.

Dh just got a job in a nearby town, meaning his new daily commute will be 2.25 hrs until we get this dang house sold.

We are already packing some stuff and we've gotten rid of literally loads of stuff. I'm ready to get out of here!

Yes, same here! And the weird thing is other houses that aren't as nice as ours, are selling for way more than the offers we have gotten. I cry nearly daily. :'(

Our market has a 3 month window where everything sells during that time frame. Either you hit it, or you typically don't sell that year. It's a very weird quirk for our neck of the woods, but lots of realtors don't tell their clients that, and let the properties stagnate all winter. 

FSBO works in a small niche of our housing market---houses under $200K. There aren't many of them on the market, and they are in such high demand that when they come on, they sell quickly. Anything over $200K=get a realtor.

I'm closing down our school room today. I got up at 5am to pack the kids' school things out of their desks. Friends are buying the desks and they will be here later this am. It's been really nice having a large school room and play room, but I'm excited to be downsizing.

We have had ours listed for three weeks. Dh is on the road with all of his personal stuff to start his job on Monday 1000 miles away. We are still here either waiting for the house to sell or waiting for me to go crazy as a single parent. There's been a lot of traffic. We're in the premiere neighborhood with the cheapest house in the whole place. A house behind us is listed for $200k above ours so we aren't in competition with them. Dh will be looking at homes to buy on Saturday. We thought we would live here forever.

We tried fsbo last year, and even nearly got a contract signed. It fell through and now looking back we wished that we had gotten an agent first time round. As they would have had a deposit, and it would have improved the outcome. We had a break and relisted it in Nov. but now it's a stale property. People are wondering if it's so good why didn't it sell yet etc....

I'm exhausted and drained from months of living in limbo!

ETA: We also heard recently that if we hadn't gone fsbo there was a lady that would have snapped up our place. But she didn't want deal with us the owners.

Man, I feel bad for you! I hope it sells soon!

We have seen quite a few fsbo success stories around here. We have a very small house and live in a very low col area so our listing price is nowhere near $200k. So I think we could do it but I hesitate for the reasons you mentioned.

ME!!!! I'll commiserate. I'm sorry you're dealing with curve balls. 

I feel like I'm drowning. House only officially went on the market yesterday morning; by noon our seller's agent was calling me saying that realtors wanted to bring clients over... the same day (as in, yesterday afternoon). He only had the MLS number, location, size of the home, and a picture of the exterior - none of our interior pictures were up yet. The stager only returned our call yesterday afternoon, and my husband is still smack-dab in the middle of moving things from the basement to the storage unit we rented.

Luckily the main level of the house is done - we worked all weekend (touch up paint, scrubbing tile, etc... and we've had painters in over the last couple of weeks to re-paint the doors in the house).

I am scratching my head a bit over the first showing. Within 2 minutes the woman and realtor said "it's too small"... kind of makes me wonder what they thought 1500 square feet would look like, since the size of the home was clearly listed (along with room dimensions) on the MLS listing.

ME!!!! I'll commiserate. I'm sorry you're dealing with curve balls. 

I feel like I'm drowning. House only officially went on the market yesterday morning; by noon our seller's agent was calling me saying that realtors wanted to bring clients over... the same day (as in, yesterday afternoon). He only had the MLS number, location, size of the home, and a picture of the exterior - none of our interior pictures were up yet. The stager only returned our call yesterday afternoon, and my husband is still smack-dab in the middle of moving things from the basement to the storage unit we rented.

Luckily the main level of the house is done - we worked all weekend (touch up paint, scrubbing tile, etc... and we've had painters in over the last couple of weeks to re-paint the doors in the house).

I am scratching my head a bit over the first showing. Within 2 minutes the woman and realtor said "it's too small"... kind of makes me wonder what they thought 1500 square feet would look like, since the size of the home was clearly listed (along with room dimensions) on the MLS listing.

I hope you get your home sold fast!

As to what they meant by "too small", it could be that the layout of the house was too small for what they are seeking.  I know I looked our current house and saw an open layout that I liked, even though the actual house itself isn't that big.  Likewise, I was looking at pictures online at houses in our potential new location and there was a house that was big enough on paper, but the rooms were small and the layout was awkward.  It might for someone else though!

Good luck again!!

We had someone who looked at our home on a cloudy day. She didn't like our main family room because "natural light is important to her and the family room is too dark" and the main light in the room at that time was lightbulbs. Sorry- I can't make the sun shine 24/7. We also had one who didn't like the fact that we have a true basement- not walkout which can be clearly seen from the pictures online! Why even come if you know that's an issue for you? We've had a lot of lookies not buyies.

I hope you get your home sold fast!

As to what they meant by "too small", it could be that the layout of the house was too small for what they are seeking.  I know I looked our current house and saw an open layout that I liked, even though the actual house itself isn't that big.  Likewise, I was looking at pictures online at houses in our potential new location and there was a house that was big enough on paper, but the rooms were small and the layout was awkward.  It might for someone else though!

Good luck again!!

Oh it definitely could be that. Our home, like all of the homes in this part of downtown, are older (1950's)... the layout is big bedrooms, big living areas (formal dining room - big, kitchen - big, living room - big), but TEENY TINY bathrooms. I mean, literally, when I'm bathing the boys in the tub, if someone opens the door without giving me a head's up, I could be hit kneeling next to the tub, lol.

Homes in our neighborhood generally sell quickly, but I wasn't wanting to show it yet - one of the perks that our home has, that others in the area do not, is the full walk up attic, and the full unfinished basement - which is more a mess than usual because we're in the middle of going through boxes and sending all "we don't need this immediately" boxes to the storage unit. I *hate* showing with the basement in the state that it's in. 

Chances are good you'll get a lot of folks that seem like they never read the listing. We did. 

That's great that you've got so many lookers so soon though! Hang in there! If they really want it, they'll overlook the state of the basement. :)

I'll join in the commiserating party!  We moved from our previous state 11 months ago to an apartment near DH's new job.  The idea was that we would be in the apartment no longer than 6 months.  Well, it took 6 months just to sell our house.  We should have been ready to buy a house here at that time, which would have been at the end of the summer when there were more properties on the market.  But my FIL suddenly died in July, so our priorities switched to grieving and estate issues.  We finally felt ready to start looking in late fall, and there has been very little on the market in our desired area.  We made an offer on one, but our best price was not accepted, so we sit and watch the listings every day so that we can pounce on new listings quickly.  My DS is very rambunctious, and we are all looking forward to having a house with a yard, instead of third-floor apartment where I have to shush him all day long.

I wondered if anyone read the listings when we were selling.  Our previous house was clearly labeled as a 3-bedroom, but so many people complained after viewing it that there weren't 4 bedrooms!  And we really shook our heads about the realtor who brought their physically disabled client over to view our elevated home - their complaint was that the client couldn't climb stairs.  A quick glance at the exterior picture would have clued them in to this, and it's a common house design in that area.

Sending everyone good selling/buying thoughts!

Man, I feel bad for you! I hope it sells soon!

We have seen quite a few fsbo success stories around here. We have a very small house and live in a very low col area so our listing price is nowhere near $200k. So I think we could do it but I hesitate for the reasons you mentioned.

Thank you!

Sounds like you house is in the right price range, so give it a try for 60 days. Then you can always get an agent if it hasn't worked out by then.

This is us too, although we knew it needed work, but here we are, 10 years later, and stuff isn't even close to finished.

I thought we could list this Spring, but that isn't going to happen if we want everything fixed up.

This is us too, although we knew it needed work, but here we are, 10 years later, and stuff isn't even close to finished.

I thought we could list this Spring, but that isn't going to happen if we want everything fixed up.

We have a huge advantage in that dh is in the construction industry and can do most of the work himself. Saves a ton of money. That's also why it hasn't been done already. He doesn't feel like working on our house on the weekends, he wants a break. I can't blame him.

I'll join. How do you afford to fix up your house AND have the money for a new one? This is our difficulty. We need another house better laid out for 5 kids being home all day and playing and parents who would like more privacy. We are seriously considering selling "As Is" and renting to get the space we need. The house needs repairs, nothing major except the garage door but we are not handy people at all.

In my post above, I mentioned that we have had only seven showings in seven months. Well, we had a same-day showing yesterday (which my husband had to prepare for while trying to work at home and minding the children -- I was out of town). And we have two showings set up for tomorrow. So maybe the market is picking up at last. We really need to sell soon, so I'm glad we finally have some appointments booked. But it does put a crimp our already crazy schedule.

Here everything heats up about this time of year...people want to get settled before the school year starts....as soon as the worst of the ice/snow are over, people are out house hunting.

I went to Target today and spent a ton of money buying things to stage the house with:  fresh new towels, faux plants, some fresh placemats and cute tableware to stage a breakfast area in the kitchen for showing.  All of the fun and excitement will be balanced by spending several hours touching up trim boards tonight. Restor-a-Finish.....totally swear by it!

In my post above, I mentioned that we have had only seven showings in seven months. Well, we had a same-day showing yesterday (which my husband had to prepare for while trying to work at home and minding the children -- I was out of town). And we have two showings set up for tomorrow. So maybe the market is picking up at last. We really need to sell soon, so I'm glad we finally have some appointments booked. But it does put a crimp our already crazy schedule.

Yay!!!!

We have open house today in a couple of hours. If it's a dud one again it will be the last one for a while.

So tired....trying to gather my energy for more cleaning.

Oh, I hope it's successful!!!!!!

I went to Target today and spent a ton of money buying things to stage the house with:  fresh new towels, faux plants, some fresh placemats and cute tableware to stage a breakfast area in the kitchen for showing.  All of the fun and excitement will be balanced by spending several hours touching up trim boards tonight. Restor-a-Finish.....totally swear by it!

I had to do some of this as well, and it was fun. I hate to spend money generally, but since I HAD to do it, I got to pick out a few new cute things.

We had only one lady and her mother through. They have been before at last week's inspection. They have put an offer in, but it's $40,000 lower than asking price!

Grrr....

The agent is working on her, and trying to at least meet us half way.

It's such a rollercoaster ride!

Wow! Sounds like that buyer is house hunting in the wrong price range! I hope she comes to her senses for your sake and gives you a reasonable offer or moves on and stops taunting you.

This is totally a rant. Feel free to disregard... or advise. Lol.

We've been on the market for about 5 days. We've had five showings, and have 3 more tomorrow... but we've officially put our house on "hold" and inactivated the listing.

Our selling agent had told us to put it on, even though we weren't done touching up the house. He wanted some feedback about some areas of the house that we weren't sure about "fixing". The house is older, and that appeals to a large number of people, and we weren't sure if we should update certain features, that appear to us to look odd against the renovated areas of the house. 

NOBODY (including our seller's agent) expected this response. We knew that we lived in a desirable area... but, still - even after he inactivated the MLS, agents were calling (half a dozen before 10 this morning) asking him to make an exception and show the house.

We said no, to any after tomorrow.

What's happening is that people who have given feedback that if the house had been move-in ready (as in, nothing "wrong" with it), they would have bought that day - people who came into town just to see houses... but our house WASN'T READY. We knew that, our agent knew that. A "few" to give feedback, has turned into much more than a few... and all have commented on being disappointed because of the cosmetic issues... which are being fixed next week (stager couldn't make it until next week, Lowe's to install the new storm door, pressure washer, painter to finish the touch ups, etc)... which is why I wanted to wait another week.

So, in a nutshell, there is a very good chance that we completely lost a buyer, just because we didn't wait a week. 

In a(nother) nutshell, I could have saved myself a terrible backache, a busing migraine, a daily Starbucks expense of about $15/daily, and my daughter a nasty cough (because our trainer wasn't available to board our GSD for showings until... duh duh duh... NEXT WEEK, so our DD had to spend 2+ hours a day in the backyard, in the cold, with Obi), had we waited on the stager - because all of these things are thing she would have addressed... heck, these are all things WE had already addressed, and were just waiting on the actual work to be completed. 

I'm tired. 

I might delete this, so please don't quote.

AimeeM -- if you have had that much activity on it, I'm not sure I would worry about fixing up all that stuff and having the stager come.  People are wanting to see it and with that much activity, you will have an offer.  I'm confused though as to why your realtor wanted to get some feedback by listing it before you were ready.  That's weird to me.   Your feedback comes from the people that are looking at it when it is on the market. 

Ugh...I can totally commiserate and my house isn't even listed yet. It is amazing to me the cosmetic stuff we never really noticed...our realtor came in here and just listed a ton of stuff to do!! I've had painters and fixer-uppers in here for weeks and I hate it!! We're moving to Japan so we have the added fun of trying to get rid of all our furniture and extra crap during the process. Problem is, the furniture stored all the books, clothes and toys, etc so now my books and toys are sitting on the floor or in sterilite bins littered all over the house. Clothes are in massive suitcases. Everything is a hot mess.

I'm highly debating just selling after we leave. Paying a mortgage or two while we wait for it to sell...living in

Japan..is so so worth it. Not sure Dh will agree, though. I just can't imagine keeping this house presentable as we unload all of our stuff.....

Sorry, Aimee -- that sounds so discouraging. The good news is that it sounds like you really are in a hot market, and once you have addressed the issues the stager points out to you, I'm sure you will still have a lot of people come through. Is your realtor telling those who are asking that you are planning to relist in a couple of weeks? Many of those house hunting now will still be looking then, so they may be interested in coming back.  With that amount of traffic, I wouldn't worry over much about losing this week's buyers.

By the way, be prepared for the stager to give you a big list of things to do, including things you have not thought of yet. Don't let that discourage you, either.

The next time your listing becomes active, is there any way that you can get things ready and then just leave the house for a week, so that your whole family is not constantly disrupted by the constant showings? The last time I sold a home, I had four kids ages five and under, so I know how hard it is to manage keeping things in order and finding places to go with small children while people looked at the house.

Today we had two showings. The people who were supposed to come at 10:30 showed up at 9:45 :scared: . Fortunately, I had things ready except for a very few things on the bathroom counter (curling iron, etc.). They were blocking my car in and insisted that we just stay home, so I talked to the family a little bit (I tried to stay out of the way and inconspicuous, but they kept asking me questions).  We had some things in common, and I really liked them. They are moving here to be closer to the private Christian schools that their children attend, so the fact that the house is in a less desirable school district shouldn't matter to them (that is the main drawback to our home).

We'll see how it goes. I'm ready to be done with it, so I can stop spending so much time cleaning this house and start transitioning our furniture to the new one. When we are at the new house (once or twice a week we spend the night there), we are sleeping on air mattresses and sitting on lawn furniture, which is getting old quickly!!

We had only one lady and her mother through. They have been before at last week's inspection. They have put an offer in, but it's $40,000 lower than asking price!

Grrr....

The agent is working on her, and trying to at least meet us half way.

It's such a rollercoaster ride!

I hope it works out for you! The fact that they have seen the house twice and made an offer mean they really like it. Hopefully they are willing to come up in price.