Menu

So, I really want to have a birthday party for DS5...But he doesn't have many friends to invite

kirstenhill

So, let's start from the JAWM assumption that I want to have a birthday party for DS5 (turning six in a couple weeks) with other kids at our house.  That's what we've always done with the two older kids starting at about age 4 (simple, inexpensive parties at home with friends invited).  Family dynamics are such that big "family" birthday parties with extended family invited are not really a possibility right now.   

He really wants to have a party with friends like his older sibs have had, and didn't like a few non-traditional ideas I tossed around with him (like, "hey, let's invite so-and-so for a day at the waterpark with us for your birthday).  The problem is, DS5 has very few of his "own" friends.  My older two kids both have a few close neighborhood friends, while there is no one closer to DS5's age.  There is one younger boy, but he is between the ages of DS5 and DS3, and pretty much only plays with DS3.  DS5 plays with all of DS7's friends, but I get the impression from those kids that they very much view DS5 as the "younger brother" -- they know they have to include him if they are going to be allowed to play at our house, but he isn't really "their friend", KWIM?  We had a small "kid" birthday party for DS5 last year, but three out of the four kids we invited are kids we haven't seen much in the past year since that party for various reasons.

At church there is really only one other boy his age that he knows very well, so that is our one shoe-in invite.  His class at church is mostly all girls (whom DS5 doesn't have the time of day for), and a few other boys who rarely attend and whose parents I don't really know (and maybe a couple boys who just turned five and just moved into the class, so DS5 doesn't know them very well). 

He is in a small mixed-age prek-K class at co-op, and we could invite those boys...but I am not very confident they will attend as we never see them outside of co-op, and while we live 20 minutes away from the co-op meeting place, they live 10-20 minutes in the opposite direction -- so kind of a long drive to attend for someone you don't regularly see outside of a group setting.

So, we can invite the one boy from church and the 3 boys from co-op -- and it will be great if they all come but I have my doubts.  A birthday party with one guest would be pretty lame.  I feel like I need a back up plan here -- do I invite the boys he knows that are really DS7's friends (and they will get an invite to DS7's party too six weeks later)?  Invite the boys who just moved up into his class at church despite the fact he doesn't really know them very well yet?  DS5 is always telling me he wishes he had more friends, but he isn't the kind of kid who easily makes friendships happen anyway, and we have just been really unlucky not to know many boys his age.  :-(  Or maybe I just prepare him for disappointment and tell him we can have a party but it might be a very small one?

We have been in similar situations. We've either planned a really fun outing (mini-golf and pizza, etc) with one friend or just family. Then, I've gone overboard buying gifts. Not perfect, I realize.

When my kids were younger, sometimes we'd do family parties with sibling groups too.  Lots of young kids don't have tons of close friends - I don't think that's super unusual.  If they have a big party sometimes they're just inviting their whole class, or boyscout troop, etc. 

I think the main problem is that he says he wants a party with friends, just like his older sibs have always had. I love "kid/friend" birthday parties and I am sad I can't give him one. That's why I put the JAWM on the beginning of the post for that aspect...I know lots of people don't like those kind of parties, but I actually do. With my older two, knowing who to invite was never a problem so this is new for me. I know you don't have to have that to have a fun birthday experience, but when DS5 sees friends come over, bring gifts, etc for his older sibs parties, you can understand why he would want it too!

My kids loved friend parties at that age. I would encourage you to invite the friend and potential friends you mentioned. It might be that some of them are also looking for more friends and will welcome to party invite. But warn ds that since you don't know them well that they might not be able to come. You can fudge it a little and explain that they might be busy with other things. And since you don't know them well, that could very well be true. They might have soccer or something on party day.  I might also invite the friends of his siblings. 

I'd probably send the invites out a week earlier than usual so you can track down folks who don't rsvp. If it turns out only a friend or two can come, ds would be better off knowing in advance than being disappointed that day. 

Hope you have a great turnout! 

I think the main problem is that he says he wants a party with friends, just like his older sibs have always had. I love "kid/friend" birthday parties and I am sad I can't give him one. That's why I put the JAWM on the beginning of the post for that aspect...I know lots of people don't like those kind of parties, but I actually do. With my older two, knowing who to invite was never a problem so this is new for me. I know you don't have to have that to have a fun birthday experience, but when DS5 sees friends come over, bring gifts, etc for his older sibs parties, you can understand why he would want it too!

No advice but I hope you can come up with a way to make it work out for him.

Move the party closer to the co-op kids - find a bday venue that way and then just the one kid can come with you that lives near you - or invite that family to join you. Chuck E Cheese? Roller skating or bowling near them? 

I get it...we struggled with that when my boys were younger. Keep trying and keep inviting kids over for him!

My local homeschool group will often get a big group email from one family or another to the effect of "Suzy is turning 7! Meet us at the roller rink at 1pm Saturday!" There are 50 or so families in the group, and while most know of the others i doubt everyone is super close friends with everyone else, but this gives the kids a big drawing pool of peers for a party.

I know he likes just the one boy in Sunday school, but if he wants the party group experience, could he take invitations for the class (whether that would be weird would seem to depend on your possibly knowing their parents, how big and how interactive is your church?) or a homeschool group you are in?

It's a tough situation. Kids in ps or private school usually just invite their classmates at that age. Homeschool families... It's hit or miss who you know, who the neighbors are, who's in Sunday school or Tae kwon do or whatever else.

Cousins also make good invites, if he has them. My sister, bless her soul, drags her entire brood 2.5 hours to Oklahoma every year so ds1 will have a birthday turnout sufficient to make a dent in a sheet cake.

I think I would invite every single kid you mentioned and see how it shakes out. And I would maybe go a little overboard in terms of planning something fun for the party itself, like give it a really simple theme and do fun things for it around that. Which, it sounds like is more than you usually do, but I think i would want to have half a dozen pin the tail on the donkey sort of things planned so that it will feel like a party in case no one shows up. If you pick something - pirates, sports, carnival, whatever - and then ask for ideas, I'll bet the Hive will plan the whole thing budget style for you. ;)

I haven't read all the responses, but I've been there.  Sometimes it feels like at least one of the littles has this problem every year because we move so much and are in an environment where the friends move just as much.  

Ask you son who he wants to invite.  If he wants to invite the older kids and he considers them his friends I would invite them.  Depending on the relationship I may chat with the moms first. 

Second, ask him what he wants to do at this party.  It may give you a reason to invite only one or two people that you're pretty sure would make the effort to be there.  

And we generally invite whole families when the numbers are low.  It makes the birthday kid feel like it's a bigger party than it really is.

Well, there's always my idea, lol.  My ds just celebrated his 12th birthday.  He really wanted to have a party at a nearby recreation center that has an indoor pool.  The thing is, we just had a death in the family, and with the funeral the week before and all that, I just did not have the time or money to organize that kind of event.  Yes, even a party at a venue is work!

So, what I proposed was a party at a local skate park.  This particular park is not very old, and there are nearby athletic parks.  It's completely free.  And kids can bring skateboards, scooters, bikes, and inline skates.  There are tables there for people to sit and watch or to eat and drink.  I invited his two cousins, two boys who are friends, and two friends who are girls (sisters).  With ds, that is 7 kids, 3 girls and 4 boys, and they ranged from 8 years to 12.  Plus, adults of course.  DH and I brought cupcakes, pizza, and other snacks and drinks, and we just staked a table there for our group.  

There were many other kids there, of course.  And so even though it was just 7 kids, the event felt much larger, kwim?  The party was a great success, and ds does not at all regret having a skating park party instead of a pool party. So, I guess the moral of the story is, find a park or other similar place that appeals to older kids as well.  Then, you can still invite the older kids and they are more likely to come.  (Also, girls can be great friends too! )

I'd go ahead and invite absolutely everybody you can think of that your son thinks he is friends with, plus allow each of his older siblings to invite a friend for themselves (if they have their best friend, they are less likely to monopolize the friends invited by the birthday boy). 

In my experience, unless you know people very well, they are more likely to come if it's a cool birthday venue instead of a person's home. People are often looking for entertainment for their kids on the weekends so want something they know their kids will excited about. If it's a place they can drop off its even better - I think the neutral ground + professional staff of birthday venues makes people more comfortable dropping off if they don't know you well. I love the idea of the old fashioned simple home parties I used to have as a kid but I think that works better if you have a strong core group of friends you know very well.

Invite the world and see who comes. I hope it works out for all of you!

Yeah, I'd invite all the friends from the pre-K co-op and see who comes. You might be surprised. I meet half my kids' school friends at their birthday parties!

I'd be just as happy dropping off at a house as at a big place--it depends which is closer. Regardless, I think inviting everyone and seeing who comes is worthwhile.

Until about age 9, I just invited everyone DD was in contact with, all week. At 5, that meant she had 4 kids at her party, at 6 about 7, at 8 about 30 (that year our homeschool co-op was huge, so we had a LOT of kids to invite by the time you added siblings of the kids in her class-we rented a classroom at church, and I hired some homeschool teens to come in and lead games, crafts, and face painting with the kids). At 9, she decided she wanted to just invite her special friends, and the last two years have been more like 6-7 kids.

Similarly, the number of parties has followed-age 5-8. she was basically invited by everyone in our social circles, so as her social circle got bigger, that meant more invitations. About 9, it shifted to the "handful of girls giggling all night" type stuff.

Invite enough guaranteed friends so you have critical mass even if half of them are older DS's buddies. Then, invite everyone else. If half of those kids come you still have a good sized group. If only the guaranteed friends come, you still have enough for a party. I hedged my bets like this one year and EVERY kid came, so be careful what you wish for.

Thanks! I think I will invite a bigger list and see what happens...I asked DS who he wanted to come, and it was kind of funny...besides the one close friend from church...he made it sound like he doesn't really care who comes as long as we have fun party with a bunch of kids...LOL!

Ha- I totally found this true with my kids at this age.  It hardly mattered who showed up as long as there was cake and chaos!  :lol:

We did my 6yo DS's party at a popular party place (full of bouncy houses and climbing). He's in kindergarten but has a really small class of 12. We invited everyone even though it was the beginning of the year and we didn't know anyone well. A few couldn't come but over half said yes. Then I let my older DD invite her friend and I knew the mom would bring the friend's older brother as well. DS loves this older brother and feels "cool" that he knows an older kid. Then I told the other parents that the younger siblings could stay and jump too. So we ended up with a big party but hardly any of the kids were DS's "friends" in the strict sense of the word.

I think at that age, the specific friends aren't as important as the fact that kids are over and it's a party.  I'd probably limit it to 4 altogether (including your son), but would call the parents ahead of time and set the date with them and know that it's a go before you even send out invitations.  If the first choice options don't work, then call the second, even if they're just friends of sibling.  :)

Anyway, I hadn't read all of the responses, and just saw your last response.  That's a good way of handling it too!