Menu

WTM--Meet In Person!--South Central PA/MD

creekland

WTM--Meet In Person!--South Central PA/MD  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question for a basic count - Are you coming?

• Yes! Barring contagious sickness or last minute emergency, I'm there!
    • I'd like to, but I'm on the fence. I'll see when the date gets closer.
    • I'm too introverted to actually want to meet folks, but I like you online.
    • No, I'm just here for the discussions.
    • Would love to, but I think you're too far away.
    • Would love to, but that date just doesn't work for me.
    • Other - there always has to be an other, right?

I am still planning to come, but I hope I can be let off the hook for bringing chocolate cupcakes Thursday. I have an insane amount of work to catch up due to the snow and ice and I can't realistically use that time to bake the best cupcakes ever made. You'll just have to take my word for it. I'll try to cheat by bringing a fruit tray or something instead.

• Like 3

I am still planning to come, but I hope I can be let off the hook for bringing chocolate cupcakes Thursday. I have an insane amount of work to catch up due to the snow and ice and I can't realistically use that time to bake the best cupcakes ever made. You'll just have to take my word for it. I'll try to cheat by bringing a fruit tray or something instead.

Not being a cupcake fan, this is fine with me... ;)  If you're as busy as it sounds, it's seriously ok to not bring anything extra food-wise.

We can't now as last Thursday's class is rescheduled for this Thursday.

Bummer!  (But I understand, of course.)

• Like 1

We've been symptom free for 2 days so we can come! I'll be bringing all 4 of mine and my nephew who I homeschool since the person who was going to watch them is sick. They're excited for a few hours out of the house after all the sicknesses and new baby recovery.

• Like 4

We've been symptom free for 2 days so we can come! I'll be bringing all 4 of mine and my nephew who I homeschool since the person who was going to watch them is sick. They're excited for a few hours out of the house after all the sicknesses and new baby recovery.

Awesome!  Great to hear both that you are all free of the nasty bugs and that you can come!  I've only met two Boardies IRL and I'm really looking forward to meeting more.  :coolgleamA:

The get together is tomorrow!!!

Here are the details again, plus instructions about which door to enter the church.  It's ok if you enter a wrong door, but it's nice to know the correct one, right?  So here are details:

Bethel Assembly of God
1125 Frederick Pike
Littlestown, PA 17340 

Thursday March 12th

12 until 3:00 

Free, except that we have to clean up after ourselves.  

The church has three doors:

We will be behind the doors with the RAMP leading up to them.  You will walk directly into the gym so you know you've entered the correct door.  I will be there early (11:15-ish) so no one will have to walk in to an empty room.  If you enter an incorrect door it's ok.  Head back out and look for the ramp.

• Like 5

Awesome! Great to hear both that you are all free of the nasty bugs and that you can come! I've only met two Boardies IRL and I'm really looking forward to meeting more. :coolgleamA:

I've never met any boardies in real life and luckymama only lives 10 minutes from me!

• Like 3

I've never met any boardies in real life and luckymama only lives 10 minutes from me!

The two I've met have been in connection with my middle and youngest son heading off to college.  One was my FL guy's hurricane evacuation emergency plan, so this whole thing about not trusting strangers you meet on the internet doesn't necessarily apply to the Hive.  ;)  Youngest has also benefited from her tasty baking!

If I were more intelligent in my younger years I'd have also met another whose son went to Covenant with my oldest.  We conversed via pm, but for whatever reason, it didn't occur to me to try to meet IRL back then.

I should add what I'm bringing.  Folks need to keep in mind that I seldom bake and we're empty nesting now, so aren't on as tight of a budget with time or finances...

Therefore, as long as my memory doesn't let me down... I'm planning on bringing cheese and crackers (munster, sharp cheddar, colby jack and Club Multi-grain crackers), baby carrots, cut celery, snow peas, and a chipotle flavored ranch dip, high pulp orange juice, and a 2 liter of A&W root beer.

I stuck with things my family will eat if those of us there don't consume things, so if curious about the specifics, that's why. ;)

• Like 2

I should add what I'm bringing. Folks need to keep in mind that I seldom bake and we're empty nesting now, so aren't on as tight of a budget with time or finances...

Therefore, as long as my memory doesn't let me down... I'm planning on bringing cheese and crackers (munster, sharp cheddar, colby jack and Club Multi-grain crackers), baby carrots, cut celery, snow peas, and a chipotle flavored ranch dip, high pulp orange juice, and a 2 liter of A&W root beer.

I stuck with things my family will eat if those of us there don't consume things, so if curious about the specifics, that's why. ;)

Oh so I'll be bringing an appetite. I would feel guilty for not bringing food but I'm bringing a cute newborn for you all to admire :)

• Like 4

Have a great time! This boardie is is quite envious.

Would love to meet you, but you might have had to leave yesterday to make it on time if driving...  :tongue_smilie:

Someday, when I win one of those super mega lotteries, boardies everywhere will be able to come to one of these due to free travel/lodging options.

Of course, I might have to start playing those lotteries first - though I doubt the odds of winning are all that much different.

• Like 4

Middle son and I were trying to figure out if I should simply post that we enjoyed meeting all of you or if I should post about all those "unsocialized" homeschooled kids who were there.   :lol:

Seriously though, I/we did enjoy meeting all of you and putting actual people/faces/lives behind screen names.  I feel I know a bit more than just words now.  It's a good feeling...

Garga, this is an official reminder that we need that chili recipe!

• Like 7

White Chicken Chili

Warning: Crock Pot AND canned cream of chicken soup below. End warning.

1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken, chopped

2 15 oz cans great northern beans OR 2 15 oz cans navy beans

1 15 oz can hominy OR 1 15 oz can white corn

1 envelope taco seasoning (or 1/4 cup taco seasoning)

1 4.5 oz can chopped green chilis

1 10 3/4 can cream of chicken soup

1 14 oz can chicken broth

1 cup sour cream

green onions (optional)

montery jack cheese (optional)

1. Place chicken in 4 qt slow cooker

2. Top with beans and corn

3. In a bowl, mix taco seasoning, chilies, soup, broth

4. Pour over chicken and beans

5. Cover, cook low 8-10 hours

Before serving, stir and add the sour cream.

Top with green onions and jack cheese.

• Like 7

Now hubby is out at a long township meeting (his work) and middle son went out with friends (we allow him 30 minutes, tops, once per week now that he's a college student), so it's just the cats and me here at home for at least a couple of hours (sigh).  How boring after meeting so many new friends...

• Like 7

I had a great time! None of you were creepy old man-trolls living in your parents' basement; everyone was a real homeschooling mother. What a relief!

I loved putting faces to names. And some of you were taller than 5'3! In my imagination everyone is my height. It's always a bit of a shock when someone turns out to be taller than 5'3.

Does anyone mind if I post the picture? I won't have a chance to be on the laptop to post the picture until Saturday afternoon. I'll try to PM anyone who can be PMd to double check that everyone is ok with that.

• Like 9

In my imagination everyone is my height. It's always a bit of a shock when someone turns out to be taller than 5'3.

Does anyone mind if I post the picture? I won't have a chance to be on the laptop to post the picture until Saturday afternoon. I'll try to PM anyone who can be PMd to double check that everyone is ok with that.

I'm ok with posting the pic, but of course, I can only answer for myself.  And I'm 5'3 1/2, so not too far off your expectations aside from the extra lbs that came with age (sigh).

• Like 5

It was a lot of fun... thanks for organizing it, Garga and Creekland.   Very nice to put faces to names....now I just need too keep them straight. 

Uh, the no quizzes rule still stands and will always stand...

Those of us old folks need all the mental assistance we can get.  I know all of you TODAY.  That has to count for something!

(I also remember how everyone got their user name... that might stick with me longer due to the creative ways some of you got yours... Ren Faire and all.  ;) )

• Like 6

Uh, the no quizzes rule still stands and will always stand...

Those of us old folks need all the mental assistance we can get. I know all of you TODAY. That has to count for something!

(I also remember how everyone got their user name... that might stick with me longer due to the creative ways some of you got yours... Ren Faire and all. ;) )

I know you will always be Creekland and Garga cannot escape being Garga. Em is the only one I'm bound to remember, because I couldn't pronounce her username anyway. ;)

• Like 5

Now hubby is out at a long township meeting (his work) and middle son went out with friends (we allow him 30 minutes, tops, once per week now that he's a college student), so it's just the cats and me here at home for at least a couple of hours (sigh). How boring after meeting so many new friends...

I could have sent a few boys home with you. . . Btw, my oldest son really liked your middle guy and thought he was pretty cool.:)

Garga, well, *some* of us are taller than 5'3". Some of us are lucky if we hit 5'1" on a good day. . . I don't mind if you post the picture temporarily, if you don't mind removing it after a few weeks.

• Like 4

I had a great time! None of you were creepy old man-trolls living in your parents' basement; everyone was a real homeschooling mother. What a relief!

I loved putting faces to names. And some of you were taller than 5'3! In my imagination everyone is my height. It's always a bit of a shock when someone turns out to be taller than 5'3.

Please post! If you end up just pming the picture, Creekland, can you email it to me?

I really enjoyed getting to meet the ladies that came. Four states were represented! It is nice to be able to put a face to the names we see on a regular basis. Almost half of the ladies there already have kids graduate from college (and a good many of those kids had/are continued onto get their phd's). That was encouraging to hear. One of the moms (I won't say who) is a local celebrity and her family has been interviewed by a national news organization! Her family represents homeschooling very well.

There was a crockpot and Quill thought maybe someone brought beandip, just in case we needed to pass the beandip! Haha! Too bad none of us thought it.

Hope to meet up again!

• Like 7

Haha, there is no pronouncing it. You just say the letters.

You should have seen us trying to pronounce it before you arrived.  ;)  

(We gave up.  We're not a terribly persistent bunch of axe murderers or basement dwellers and with no quiz... why bother?  It was a fun common laugh though - and the suggestion that we just HAD to ask how you got the name!)

• Like 6

Almost half of the ladies there already have kids graduate from college (and a good many of those kids had/are continued onto get their phd's). That was encouraging to hear.

I totally agree! What great mentors our BTDT members are to those of us approaching college.

• Like 4

There were nine of us there (then add kids), so it jumped the number of Hive members I've met IRL from 2 to 10!

I like to think 10 is just the beginning and I'll meet more along life's journey.  It really is fun putting more of a whole person/family behind the posts.  I feel like I know people so much better now - even though it was only a few hours (making my "knowledge" limited if I really think about it, but it's still a bit more than I had before).

Now we have a better idea who lives in the basement, who's the axe murderer... or at least who's the local celebrity, who makes a delicious chili, who really DOESN'T look like their screen name, and how to pronounce hjffkj (or what we call her instead)!

• Like 5

I would love to meet again in summer sometime.  At the moment I'm not putting much on my schedule beyond next week though.

I gotta see what life brings my way in the next couple of weeks and what my boys decide they are doing for the summer.

I can say the first week in Aug is out.  Hubby and I go away for our Anniversary every year (for the past 26+) and I doubt he'd be open to joining us for the occasion.  :)

• Like 4

MomsintheGarden just got home.  (Was this REALLY a two-day meetup?? :huh:)

Anyway, she just showed me the pictures!  One thing really struck me:  You all look VERY PALE standing next to Creekland!! :lol:

And I think I spotted a couple of axe murderers in there! :leaving:

Anyway, if you do this again in the summer, I'm going to have to come along with MomsintheGarden.  I guess Garga will have to prepare for the "creepy old man-trolls" if I do!

• Like 6