Menu

Your favorite chowder or soup recipes for super cold days?

AimeeM

Aimee - I often make what I call a "Kitchen Sink Stewp (combination of stew and soup). I throw into my crockpot whatever fresh veggies I have in the fridge, augment with frozen ones if needed, and either put in a can of beans, vegetarian Italian sausage, or seafood. I start with either a tomato sauce base or veggie broth.

Example: Yesterday's "stewp" was a left over carrot/parsnip/pearl onion veggie dish that had been in the freezer combined with leftover spaghetti sauce, vegetarian Italian sausages, 3-4 cut up potatoes, seasoned with Italian seasoning and garlic powder. I served it with a loaf of warm bread and cheese.

My "Kitchen Sink Stewps" are never the same twice.

Every time I've made this soup someone asks for the recipe.  It's great.

Russian Mushroom and Potato Soup

Ingredients

• 5 tablespoons butter divided
  • leeks chopped
  • 2 large carrots sliced
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • bay leaf
  • 2 pounds potatoes peeled and diced
  • 1 pound fresh mushrooms sliced
  • 1 cup half-and-half

Directions

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Mix in leeks and carrots, and cook 5 minutes. Pour in broth. Season with dill, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Mix in potatoes, cover, and cook 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender but firm. Remove and discard the bay leaf.

Puree half the soup

Melt the remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the mushrooms 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Stir into the soup.

Mix the half-and-half. Stir into the soup to thicken. Garnish each bowl of soup with fresh dill to serve.

This is also a favorite but is incredibly unhealthy.

Cheeseburger Soup Recipe

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 3/4 cup Onion, chopped
  • 3/4 cup shredded carrots
  • 3/4 cup diced celery
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 4 tablespoons butter divided
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta) cubed
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup sour cream

Directions

In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).

My mother and grandmother taugth me how to cook without recipes-- I still find it hard to use them!

Today I made what my grandmother called 'Stone Soup'... I come from a very poor family-- so 'stone soup' meant you threw what you had into a pot and hoped for the best...

Today in my fridge I had and used:

cabbage (medium head),

broccoli (one bunch),

celery (5 wilting stalks)

onion (1/2 large sweet)

carrots (12 or so the baby cut)

zucchini (1)

From the pantry I added

1 can diced tomatoes

3 tbs Better than Broth (chicken)

assorted spices:  garlic salt, minced dried garlic, pepper, italian seasoning, cummin, salt

I started by chopping the onion then browning it in a dab of olive oil.  Then I added some water (8-10 cups-- again I didn't really measure) along with chopped cabbage, celery and carrots.  I let that simmer a bit until the carrots were soft then I added the rest of the veggies.  I added the seaonings 'to taste'-- and in the end it tasted GREAT!

The down side is that I will never be able to replicate a good batch...

Well, I'm not sure if you are offended by recipes that require you to open multiple cans (some are, I'm not) but this is a good quick lunch..

Quick Corn Chowder

Sauté onion and green pepper and garlic in butter

Add 1 can creamed corn, 2 cans cream of potato soup, add 2 cups milk and 1 block cream cheese

It's very yummy, if you are not offended by cans!

Lentil soup

Cook 5-6 slices of BACON in a big pot until crisp. Remove and drain.

Saute chopped onion and carrot in the drippings. Leeks are good too, if you have some.

Add 1.5 Cups lentils and stir.

Add 6 Cups stock or broth

Add 2 medium sized, peeled, chopped russet potatoes

Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook about 1 hour or until veggies are soft. Add some water if needed.

Puree partially.

Add 2 T. dry sherry and 1/2 to 1 C. heavy cream.

Serve with crusty bread and green salad.

Jane Brody's Lentil Brown Rice soup http://www.mercyweb.org/mercy_womens_recipes.aspx?article_id=868   Use about 3 cups more liquid

Vege soup: Saute onions, celery prior to adding. Use low-sodium V8 for base and add extra water until there is enough broth. Thinly chop about 1/2 of a green cabbage. Toss in some carrots whole. (Cut off the ends. Fish them out later when they are soft and chop. It takes about 30 sec after they are soft, so saves time.) Add a can of diced tomatoes and any leftover veges or frozen or canned veges that you have. I like thyme, oregano, and basil as seasoning.

Lasagna soup. I looked at Paula Deen's recipe and one by her brothers that is lighter and modifed for our family. We just had it tonight. It is SO good. It tastes like lasagna but is much lighter/healthier.

Ah, one of my favorite topics!

These are our favorites here (in addition to your basic "we ate roasted chicken for dinner last night" soup!):

http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-garden-copycat-zuppa-toscana-38298-- Use spicy sausage; it cooks out and flavors the whole soup very effectively. 

http://www.food.com/recipe/panera-broccoli-cheese-soup-150384-- I use only a pinch or two of nutmeg and LOTS of cheese :D We just finished a pot of it off for lunch today!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-potato-leek-soup-ii/detail.aspx-- My all-time favorite soup ever.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-scallop-chowder/detail.aspx-- I skip the swiss and parsley with no problems at all.

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2012/03/chicken-bacon-crock-pot-chowder.html-- This one is more of a stew, and it is SOOOO good. I didn't like how it came out in the crock (the leeks and onions take on a burnt taste that passes to the whole chowder) so I adapted it for stove-top cooking. If you want those instructions, let me know.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-turkey-soup-- This one is so easy, and I make it with chicken all the time (except after Thanksgiving).

http://www.foodrenegade.com/tom-kha-gai-thai-coconut-soup/-- This is the newest addition to my recipe database. I haven't made it yet, but it sounds like a good basic soup that's easy to whip up.

Just a note for those who look to avoid dairy: With the exception of the scallop chowder, I make all of these with almond milk instead of the milk or half-and-half the recipes call for (cooked milk upsets my stomach for some reason, very annoying). My family has no complaints at all with the flavor that produces, so if you need to cut back on dairy for any reason, almond milk is a good option. I do still use other dairy products, though, like cream cheese or cheddar cheese. Those don't seem to pose a problem for me, and I don't know how the soups would be with substitutions for those kinds of things.

Enjoy your soup-making!

I love soup! There's nothing better than good soup on a cold day.

My current favorite is a corn/potato chowder.  The last time, I used Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn, and it was a good addition. I also used these really tiny potatoes from Trader Joe's (fresh), that I basically didn't have to cut or anything.  

I kind of wing it....but this is similar to what I do....http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/corn-and-potato-chowder-recipe.html

I don't do bacon unless I have it....and when I do, it's Turkey bacon.

I sauté everything in a mixture of butter/olive oil.

I usually use half and half, but I've done both heavy cream and whole milk as well.