Flu Shots?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get the flu shot?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We do not get the flu shot. I had the flu once several years ago. I have also had the flu shot a few times. But DH is so against them!! It is actually quite crazy how opposed he is to any of us having a flu shot. He doesn't have any opinions about other vaccines which makes it even more bizzare.

If he wasn't so crazy against it then I would probably get one.

I always got the shot. Complicated health history here has resulted in being told not to get the shot anymore (by my docs). Of the years I've not had the shot, I've had the flu all but one. Four times. Prior to that, I had the shot yearly - and no flu. I would quite like to have the shot again.

DS is the same - complicated history resulted in being told no more shots and he's had the flu 3 years out of four. Yuck. All confirmed. One year twice - strains A and B simultaneously and a Euro Flu strain another time.

We have it now, sadly. Strain A.

It is not as bad this year, for me. But DS is another story.

Secretly, I fantasize every year about going AMA and getting a shot. :)

I always got the shot. Complicated health history here has resulted in being told not to get the shot anymore (by my docs). Of the years I've not had the shot, I've had the flu all but one. Four times. Prior to that, I had the shot yearly - and no flu. I would quite like to have the shot again.

DS is the same - complicated history resulted in being told no more shots and he's had the flu 3 years out of four. Yuck. All confirmed. One year twice - strains A and B simultaneously and a Euro Flu strain another time.

We have it now, sadly. Strain A.

It is not as bad this year, for me. But DS is another story.

Secretly, I fantasize every year about going AMA and getting a shot. :)

Spryte,

If I were in your situation, I would get it too. Just not this year. My doctor said they totally missed the boat this year.

A local urgent care doctor was interviewed on TV yesterday.  He said his clinic is seeing tons of people with the flu.  But NOT people who've been vaccinated.  My takeaway was that he wasn't claiming that the vaccine is working as well this year as in past years to prevent the flu, but rather he was implying that if people who have gotten the vaccine are getting the flu, they don't seem to be getting as sick as those who didn't get the vaccine (not sick enough to go to the doctor).

A local urgent care doctor was interviewed on TV yesterday. He said his clinic is seeing tons of people with the flu. But NOT people who've been vaccinated. My takeaway was that he wasn't claiming that the vaccine is working as well this year as in past years to prevent the flu, but rather he was implying that if people who have gotten the vaccine are getting the flu, they don't seem to be getting as sick as those who didn't get the vaccine (not sick enough to go to the doctor).

When I was diagnosed, my doc said about half of his positive flu tests had had the vaccine and half not. Right now 90% of patients coming in with flu like symptoms are testing positive, so that's most of what he's seeing. It is a regular office, not urgent care, so urgent care and ERs may be seeing more serious cases. Though he does do lots of selfpay and Medicaid, so he is more likely to be seen by some than UC here.

I'm not a fan of the government telling me what to do. It is often an indication that I should do the opposite.  :/ 

Dh has an autoimmune disease, so I would expect at some point, we'd consider changing our stance against the shot if we felt it would be best for him.  But it certainly won't be because the CDC tells us so.

Around here the gov't doesn't tell us to get the flu shot.  Only a few (private) medical places require it for their employees.  I don't recall ever getting dogged about it anywhere.  It's just an option available to those who want it.

To me, "telling me what to do" would mean kids can't go to school without it (or paperwork exempting them from it), or that I couldn't do my job without it, etc.  Our public (gov't) schools (and even my kids' private colleges) don't do that with the flu shot.  They do it with others, but not that one.