Menu

Mystery Book Recs?

mmasc

Does anyone have a favorite author/book they'd like to share with me? I'm looking for some good, easy to read mysteries. Specifically, I like mysteries that are NOT scary (at all!). I've recently been reading Caroline Graham's Chief Inspector Barnaby mysteries and have enjoyed them. I've read the first two. There's a murder, but the book mostly focuses on the characters and solving the murder, so it isn't scary at all. They're also British which I've enjoyed. To give more detail in what I'm looking for, I've read a Dean Koontz and did not like it. I found it scary, and not particularly good writing.

Thanks for reading and for any recommendations!

You might take a look at the Captain Lacey Regency Mystery series.  The first book, The Hanover Square Affair: Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, is currently free to Kindle readers.

"London, 1816 Cavalry captain Gabriel Lacey returns to Regency London from the Napoleonic Wars, burned out, fighting melancholia, his career ended. His interest is piqued when he learns of a missing girl, possibly kidnapped by a prominent member of Parliament. Lacey's search for the girl leads to the discovery of murder, corruption, and dealings with a leader of the underworld. At the same time, he faces his own disorientation transitioning from a soldier's life to the civilian world, redefining his role with his former commanding officer, and making new friends--from the top of society to the street girls of Covent Garden."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Midsommer Murders is my favorite show of all time, FYI you can see ALL of them at AcornTV!

I like Donna Andrews, her books are well written and not super "cozy" but not scary either.  I don't find the Stephanie Plum series (by Janet Evanovitch) scary but if you object to cursing or a bit of crude humor then they're not for you.

I love mysteries but can't do the super sweet cozy variety.  If you're looking for more middle of the road then I'd also suggest the Spellman (funny family drama) series and the Kinsey Milhone (a bit darker then some of the others but great stories) series.  There's some decent ones on Amazon kindle for cheap (not paperbacks)  authors like Gemma Halliday and Stephanie Bond. No/not much s*x but there is some s*xual situations/crude humor, cursing etc..... They're more contemporary.  I also love Joan Hess and the Maggody series as well as the Malloy series (which are cozyish, contemporary, but not crude).

ETA: my idea of not scary and yours may differ.  If you don't want any "detective in danger", then none of the above will work.

• Like 1

Louise Penny's "Inspector Gamache" series. The first is Still Life. Set in a small village in modern-day Quebec, it is very well-written, with characters so well-developed that after reading the past three years I feel I could meet and know them, and atmosphere that reminds me of Agatha Christie. The mysteries are almost secondary to the relationships. Little scare factor, no gore.

And the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. The protagonist is a young woman in post-WWI London, who sets up shop as an investigator. Again very well-written, and the historical background alone makes it worth reading.

• Like 1

I will post a couple of ideas and try to come back later with a longer list after I look at my goodreads. Aunt Dimity books by Nancy Atherton seem to fit, I have only read three so far. Carola Dunn writes some nice gentle ones, Daisy Darlrymple is the main character. I really enjoyed Cat in the Stacks Mysteries by Miranda James. I will try to find some more.

• Like 1

All the ones that I were thinking of have already been mentioned but I did think of books by Dorothy Sayers,  Anne Perry, P.D.James, and Elizabeth George.  They are typically the same style/; they start out slow then you are gobsmacked by something crazy and, at times, sensational and then you are galloping to the end.  I do like those kinds of books.

• Like 1

If you like Jane Austen, Stephanie Barron has written a series starring Jane as the amateur sleuth. I am currently reading my way through them and really enjoy them. And the Hamish MacBeth series, also by MC Beaton (who wrote the Agatha Raisin series mentioned above) are nice.

If you like Jane Austen, Stephanie Barron has written a series starring Jane as the amateur sleuth. I am currently reading my way through them and really enjoy them. And the Hamish MacBeth series, also by MC Beaton (who wrote the Agatha Raisin series mentioned above) are nice.

I adore the Jane Austen Mysteries.

• 4 months later...

Anything by Josephine Tey

Candace Robb's Owen Archer series

Ellis Peters' Cadfael series

seconding Dick Francis, the older ones.

Dorothy Sayers or Agatha Christie

I like all these and I do not like anything scary either! :)

I second these... esp. the Cadfael & Lord Peter Wimsey (Sayers) series.  I'll add:  Margery Allingham's Campion series - along the same lines as Wimsey.  I also recently enjoyed Gil Cunningham series by Pat McIntosh and the Gregor Demarkian series by Jane Haddam.