Menu

If you got a package with your unit # addressed to someone else

Beaniemom

Would you knock on the other 2 units in the building to see if it was theirs....or......take it to the local UPS store where the intended person had no chance of getting it?

Guess what my neighbors did! I actually gave it some thought when my sister said an anticipated package was marked delivered and checked with my neighbors to see if they got it by mistake. They did fess up but by then it was too late UPS store said they put it on a truck return to sender. The kicker is 2 other boxes from the same order arrived fine last week. The missing box was addressed to The (our last name) Children. May I just say ARGH!

My sister and her dh are willing to reorder if all else fails but will it get here in time?

I might talk to the leasing office, actually. If the apt. complex has one. I'd probably ask them if they could help me locate so and so as I think I got their mail by mistake.

So your neighbors marked it "return to sender"? Did they take it to their local UPS store? I'm confused. I can't think of the right term for the location, but I know when we had to collect a package at a UPS facility, it was not the UPS store. It was some building in the middle of no where. Ever since that incident, I do not associate the UPS stores with this type of situation as I don't know if they handle these things.

Yes the people @ UPS found this odd as well. Aparently my neighbors took the box to the UPS store, said it was not theirs. The UPS store then proceded to begin procedure to return it to sender (according to the employee I spoke to). The whole situation is odd.

I live in a community of condo townhomes so there is no leasing office and little enforcing of rules of the community.

I live in a community of condo townhomes so there is no leasing office and little enforcing of rules of the community.

I live in a condo complex surrounded by two big service apartment complexes. My immediate neighbors are renters which change yearly so I only know the name of one immediate neighbor who is also an owner and move in on the same day as us.

I would email my condo's homeowners email group but I won't go knocking door to door. So if they are not in the email list and no one on the list knows them, I would return to the UPS/FedEx/DHL guy that comes by many times a day.

I'd see if I knew the name and take it there. If I didn't know the name and it was a 4 plex or something, I'd walk around and knock on the doors. For a large complex I'd check with nearby people if I didn't know their names or check any nearly the same addresses. If that failed, I would return it to the UPS person.

Hey, at least they took it to UPS, which was an extra step for them, in an effort for it to reach the correct people. If they do not know you, how would they know to bring you a box?  They could have just kept it! 

I had a dude one street over bring me a missing Amazon box last year two months after Christmas (Amazon had already replaced the missing item).  At the time the box was lost, the delivery person had noted it was "at the side door". We have no side door.  Turns out  123 Street was delivered to 456 Lane.  Wrong street and house number!   Anyway, missing box sat in dude's front hall two months until he remembered, "oh, yeah, gotta take this to 123 Street", which he did.

I did contact Amazon to let them know it had shown up,since they had replaced it, and to ask it they wanted it returned. They said keep it.

I can see the point in everyone's responses. My first inclination is always to see if the package can easily be relocated to where it should have been. I know the building # was right and I thought that since there are only 3 townhomes for our building and we are the only othr ones with kids they would ask especially since we are not strangers to them. It might also be a cultural diff between the South where I grew up and Southern California where I find myself now.

hmmm..

Well, it would depend on the building. If I had been there for less than a year I would prob assume that it was for the old tenant. I have lived here for 10 years and we still get mail for former owners. You can't imagine what it was like when we rented. I would get mail for 5 people. 

I have lived in a couple apt complexes where I would NOT go around knocking on doors, no way. I might go and read the mailboxes or something, hoping to find the right name. If I knew any of my neighbors I might ask if they recognized the name on the package and leave it in front of a door.

But, knowing what I know now about wrong deliveries, I would just hold onto it and wait for UPS to contact me. Sooner or later they backtrack and figure it out.

If there is no way to tell who lives in which apartment I might put a sign up, same as if I found a valuable item on the ground. "Misdelivered mail, I will give it to the person whose name matches the name on the box".

But you know, breathe. They were clearly trying to do the right thing, however aggravating it is.

Would you knock on the other 2 units in the building to see if it was theirs....or......take it to the local UPS store where the intended person had no chance of getting it?

Guess what my neighbors did! I actually gave it some thought when my sister said an anticipated package was marked delivered and checked with my neighbors to see if they got it by mistake. They did fess up but by then it was too late UPS store said they put it on a truck return to sender. The kicker is 2 other boxes from the same order arrived fine last week. The missing box was addressed to The (our last name) Children. May I just say ARGH!

My sister and her dh are willing to reorder if all else fails but will it get here in time?

I'd probably send it back to UPS. I would not assume that it was supposed to go to someone in my building.

Sorry.

I'm sorry. I wouldn't assume it belonged to someone in my building. i'd return to sender in this case.

I live in a community that includes about 250 townhomes. Packages get misdelivered. Mail gets misdelivered. Every couple of years our HOA puts out a list of residents by address and they also list the owner's contact if it's a rental. So, if I don't recognize the name, I can easily look up and see if the person is on our community list and drop the package or mail when I walk the dog. Since the list isn't updated in real time, some contacts fall through, but mostly it works.

Can you condo association put out a list like this. If you live in very close proximity, it's good to know names even if you are not going to be friends.

I once drove after my post man to allow him to redeliver a package, but it wasn't addressed to me or my address.  I would probably try to find the right person or just call UPS to stop back by and figure it out if I couldn't.  

I'm glad you are getting your package; UPS sending it back to the sender this time of year is a head shaker.