Menu

Help me make better use of the 200+ lbs of beef in my freezer

abacus2

I am working on menu plans and struggling. I have lots of beef roasts and steaks in my freezer, but as I plan it seems I can only think of more chicken recipes. My husband has also been eating completely grain-free for two years. None of us like beans and I don't like peppers much. Dh also tries to be light on dairy and tomatoes.

I recently purchased a pressure cooker and am having trouble finding recipes using steak. 

Help, hive. How can we consume all this beef using a variety of recipes?

ETA: It's really bell peppers I don't care for. Small amounts of other peppers for added spice are ok.

Italian Beef Sandwiches

roast

1 packet au ju  (dry)

1 packet Italian dressing mix (dry)

1 can beef broth

Crock pot on low 8-10 hours.  Slice and serve on buns with provolone cheese

This sounds good. I have some grain-free Italian dressing mix, but unfortunately au ju mix contains grain. Should I add anything else to replace it or do you think it would be as good without it?

We buy a quarter or half steer at a time. Here are the things I make most often with our meat:

Chuck Roast the way Pioneer Woman does "Perfect Pot Roast"

Chili (which we usually eat on soft or hard tacos) if you don't like beans, just make it without.

Sloppy Joes

Goulash

Beef soup or stew

Stir-fry - slice a sirloin in thin strips, sauté with vegs, add a sauce of broth, brown sugar, worchestershire.

Hamburgers

Salisbury Steak

Beef Pot Pie

Meatballs (either Hawaiian or Italian)

There you have it. I've been trying to find the nerve to cook up the offal bits. We have tongue, liver, heart and tails. I know folks eat these, but I haven't found my guts yet.

Argh... Trying to post on my phone and just lost everything.

Convert from slow cooker:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-for-a-crowd-big-game-day-barbacoa-165301(I omit cloves and use beef broth or beef base + water instead of plain water.)

http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/05/bbq-pot-roast-over-cheddar-ranch-grits.html?m=1

Tried and loved:

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/7539-pressure-cooker-asian-style-boneless-beef-short-ribs

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/braised-country-style-pork-ribs-recipe.html?soc=sharingpinterest

(Works with beef or pork. I use wine instead of ACV. Time will depend on what meat you use.)

Chili works well in the pressure cooker.

To try:

http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/2014/08/pressure-cooker-mongolian-beef/

This sounds good. I have some grain-free Italian dressing mix, but unfortunately au ju mix contains grain. Should I add anything else to replace it or do you think it would be as good without it?

Honest I don't know.

Somebody told me makes Italian beef but the only thing she does is put the roast in crock pot, open a jar of pepperonconi and dump it in (peppers & juice). Cook on low 8-10 hours.

We have tongue, liver, heart and tails. I know folks eat these, but I haven't found my guts yet.

My mother used to make tongue quite often and in fact was recently lamenting the fact that is no longer generally available.  One of my clearest childhood memories is coming home from school on a Friday afternoon and seeing a tongue cooking on the stove.  

I remember that it actually tasted quite good, although the aesthetics are pretty awful.  Even sliced.  

Our favorite is taking some of the tougher cuts (muscles more in use like the leg and rump) and braising it. Braising is a lot like using the crockpot. You salt and pepper the meat. You brown the meat on all sides. Take it out and add a bit of oil. Cook whatever flavoring veggies you want: garlic, onion, celery, etc. Scrape up the browned bits from bottom. When that's done add wine and beef or chicken stock (or just stock, no wine). Add the meat back in. Put a piece of tin foil or parchment over the top (it acts as a barrier since most lids don't fit exactly) and add the lid. Put in the oven on 250 or so for a few hours (or on a back burner on the lightest heat level you have). Don't check until you have to. When the meat is done to satisfaction (usually falling apart or close to it). Remove the meat and shred. Condense the liquid until it's what you want it to be (corn or potato starch to thicken a bit or more au jus). Season with any spices you want and if you didn't use wine consider a bit of vinegar or lemon juice to give it depth. Add the meat back in. 

Eat it how you like best. We usually eat it over noodles with a steamed green vegetable, but it's good with mashed potatoes or on a sandwich or simply by itself with a few side vegetables. 

My recipe for this is similar. I use the Italian dressing, jar of peppechinos, bottle of beer, for which I have substituted beef broth, but honestly, it's not as good.

I put steak on top,of salad often.

Beef roast becomes stew or hash later in the week.

Cook a beef roast on low on a dutch

oven with onions, garlic, salt and pepper for several hours. Use it in tortillas. Yummy.

There you have it. I've been trying to find the nerve to cook up the offal bits. We have tongue, liver, heart and tails. I know folks eat these, but I haven't found my guts yet.

Tails make great broth!! Also "ox tail soup" is yummy. This is a great way to use the tails. Also after making broth you could then make french onion soup which is a favorite. It is just broth, onions, and wochestershire. I saute half the onions and then put it all in the crockpot. MMMMmmm. Now I have to make some. LOL