Menu

Suggestions for studying cities with two rivers????

We're taking a geography class and the teacher asked the kids to study cities w/ two rivers. Any suggestions for studying that subject in an interesting way?

The boys (and I) are in a funk at the moment and need a fun studying suggestion versus a text book moment.

And thank you!

Alley

Pittburgh with the Allegheny and Monongahela merging to form the Ohio river would be a good choice. I would view it as having two rivers not three.

St Louis with the Missouri and Mississippi would be another obvious choice.

ETA: From the fun angle I would go with St Louis and play up the  gateway to the west, Lewis and Clark angle...

I thought that the East River wasn't actually a river.  That might matter in this case.

Ditto the Harlem River.

If you go on them, you see lots of giant, scary whirlpools. I presume that is where the tides are fighting each other. Only other place I have seen that is John o' Groats. I've been on it three times I think. At least one time the whirlpools (which did not look that big) must have had an underwater component, because they made a 100 m ship shake. [This is for you, Laura.]

It could be fun looking at cities that are situated on watershed boundaries. For instance Lviv, Ukraine is on the Baltic/Black sea boundary. Streams in different parts of the city drain in to rivers that go opposite ways. There is bound to be interesting history of the Rus and Vikings using these sort of sites as portages. Unfortunately being so high in the watershed you probably won't see anything that you would call a real river. Maybe someone else knows of some better examples of this.

Harper's Ferry? There are certainly a lot of books about John Brown.

Though I have to admit... this is why I've never taught "real" geography. What the heck is there to study? Like, why do a large number of cities sit between two rivers? Because it's twice the potential connections with other settlements and lots of water for all the things we use water for like drinking and farming. And... what else is there to say???

Interesting topics about Charleston include the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, Gullah culture, rice agriculture, religious tolerance, and hurricanes.

Also, if you are familiar with the Wheel of Time series, the author was a lifelong resident of Charleston and named a geographical area in the series "The Two Rivers."

We met our daughter in Wuhan, China this fall. It was a fascinating city. Huge, bustling, traditional, modern, poor, rich. Over 10 million people live there. The rivers the meet there are the Han and the Yangtze. Both rivers are also full of interesting histories including the damming of the Yangtze and the current deadly pollution of the waters. You could go a lot of directions with that. 

Another idea might be to look into sister cities who have two rivers. Sometimes they'll send trinkets or information back and forth for school kids. Perhaps your city hall might have some info there.