Menu

Is school suppose to take us this long?

Hi Everyone,

I always struggle with knowing how much school is enough.  

On one hand, I want to give my children an academically rigorous education.  (Academics are one of the main reasons we homeschool!)   However, I don't want to push them too hard.

I have two second graders this year (and a toddler hanging around!)   School seems to take us a long time.  I was thinking that perhaps I was wasting time somewhere or being inefficient.   So I wrote out a list of our subjects and how long we usually spend on things.  

This is what I came up with...

20-30 minutes Read Aloud

20-30 minutes Writing (Narration and Copywork)

20-30 minutes reading with one child, then...

20-30 minutes reading with the next child

10-15 minutes cursive

10-15 minutes grammar (first language lessons 2)

20-30 minutes spelling (all about spelling 2)

20-30 minutes math (singapore 2a/2b)

60 minutes science or history

20-30 minutes of time spent reviewing memory work

20-30 minutes of time on computer (geography review using shepherds software, xtra math, or times attack)

That basically means if we take NO play breaks (only break for eating, taking care of baby), we might be doing school from 9AM to 3:30PM.   That seems too long, yet I don't really feel my subject load is excessive.  In fact, I am not even doing everything that I want to be doing.  I would love to add musical instrument practice, latin, and bible to my schedule.  But I just can't seem to fit more in.

On some days we don't do all of these subjects.   If I feel like the kids are getting too tired, I usually cut something out at the end of the day.   Usually the things that get cut are: grammar, writing, cursive, or 'computer' work.  But that just means that school is finishing up by about 3 instead of 3:30PM...not a huge difference.

Give me your thoughts....but do so gently and kindly please.   These are my babies and I care about them very much.  :)  

Not IMO. At second grade, I'd be keeping it between 2-3 hours.

30 min math

30 min language arts, writing daily and grammar/spelling alternating days

30 minutes reading to me, then narrating. unlimited reading on their own time.

5 minutes cursive instruction, practice being spelling words.

30 minutes history OR science

10 minutes drill on computer

10 minutes memory work

That puts you at about 2.5 hours. Of course, you would also read aloud to them, but I didn't count that...we just do 30 minutes per kid at bedtime.

This schedule gives us ample time to play, explore, pursue ipour own interests, craft, go on field trips, ect. WHILE providing a rigorous education. Hope that helps!

My 2nd graders only spend about 2-2 1/2 hrs on seat work. I make things do double/triple duty. For example, they only do copywork for writing, but it is done in their neatest handwriting and we discuss the basic grammar and mechanics of the selection. Even this yr with my 3rd grader I only read ~15 mins each for science and history. That leaves spelling, math, and reading. They read to me for about 15-20 mins (depends on how strong of a reader they are.)

That would be too long for my current 3rd grader (and it was too long last year, too!)  I like all the things that you are doing, but I'd do them for shorter periods, and like 8 says, double up.  They can read to you from history or science books, or you can do narrations & copywork in history or science, not as separate subjects.  Make things do double duty when you can!  And some things you can do in a loop, not every day.  Alternate grammar and spelling, maybe? Or something like that.

My 3rd grader does math, spelling, writing, cursive, and Spanish, and I read aloud to her from one or two nonfiction books (science, history, or both), and she reads aloud to me from whatever she chooses.  That doesn't take more than 2 hours, 2 1/2 tops.  I read aloud from literature at bedtime.  After lunch, we do something together - a science or history video, documentary, or activity, or poetry, or something else.  So outside of her own independent reading, that's 3-4 hours per day max.  It feels like plenty for her.

Good luck finding the balance - I know it's hard!  :grouphug:

I think it is taking longer because you have two second graders. At that age they need mama right there while they do their lessons, and if you are busy with one, then the other has to wait. That adds up quickly.

Is there some way that while you do reading with one the other can work on say...spelling? I am unfamiliar with the spelling program you use and I don't know if it can be done independently.

My guess is that if you took the time for each child and counted it up you would find each kid needs about 2 or 2.5 hours. But you have to have them stacked up, right?

(and I never did review of memory work)

For 2nd grade here:

TOGETHER = approx. 90 min/day (+ read alouds later in the day -- see below)

4-5x/week = read alouds = 60-90 min. (usually 2 or 3 sessions -- bulk of it after school, evening/bedtime)

4-5x/week = together time = 30-40 min (Bible + 1 or more of various: memorization, songs, critical thinking, soc. studies…)

2x/week = history = 30-40 min

2x/week = science = 30-40 min

2x/week = geography = 10-20 min

1x/week = art/music = 15-30 min (or field trips or time with homeschool group, or...

INDIVIDUAL LANG ARTS = approx. 45 min/day

4-5x/week = reading = 10-15 min

3x/week = writing = 10 min

4x/week = handwriting = 5 min

4x/week = spelling = 10-15 min

3x/week = phonics = 5 min

2x/week = grammar = 10 min

-- vocabulary

1x/week = educational games, activities (in lieu of regular materials above) = 30-60 min

INDIVIDUAL MATH = approx. 45 min/day

4-5x/week = spine math = 30 min

3-4x/week = math facts or supplement = 10-15 min

INDIVIDUAL OTHER = 15 min

3x/week = "fun pages" (critical thinking puzzles, crosswords, word searches, mazes, Puzzlemania, color pages, etc)

2x/week = 2 geography workbook pages

While I worked one-on-one with one student, the other would get a 30-minute computer turn. And other than Math & LA, we did just about everything all together to consolidate time and efforts. (DSs were 20 months apart, working at about 2.5 grade levels apart for Math & LA.)

So, 2 elementary aged students, taking turns to do math/LA with them individually, and doing read alouds outside of school hours, school took us just about 2.5 to 3 hours a day. BUT, it often took more like 4 hours to accomplish that work, due to one student with mild LDs, and constantly having to re-direct to keep them on task.

Short, focused, highly productive bursts of learning (say 10-15 minutes), with very short breaks between (no longer than 5 minutes), got a LOT more accomplished here with the Math & LA, than trying to do longer sustained seatwork sessions. If attention span wanes, try three "bursts" of 10-15 min. each for math or writing sprinkled throughout the day and see if you get more accomplished that way.

If your student "gets" it, don't make them do every.single.problem. That's just busy work. ;) Close the book and be done with that subject for the day -- the rewards of learning quickly (rather than piling on more for having finished early).

A lot of double-duty (like 8FilltheHeart and Chrysalis Academy said). Also, other than the "3Rs", most subjects can be covered just 2-3x/week, not every day -- grammar and geography don't need more than 2-3 days a week, for example. Also, consider loop scheduling -- go for 3 hours, stop, and the next day pick up where you left off in your schedule and start with that, and keep going into the following "day" of material until you hit 3 hours again… repeat.

BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Well, I see a few things that should be able to cut your time down... Why can't one child do the computer time while the other reads with you? That's half an hour off. Do you do spelling all together? I split my twins up for AAS. If so, can one do handwriting while the other does spelling and then swap? That cuts a little off as well. And I would pick something to alternate days. Probably FLL and memory work could alternate. Altogether that should drop a good chunk of time. And how about making history and read alouds merge? Or just move your read alouds to the evening? Or during lunch?

At that age, starting early was still really key for us. Every family is different, but if we had started at 9 that would have been way too late for my boys who were such early risers (it's pretty standard now though).

I think it's okay to not get to everything. I mean, if you drop one or two things every day, you're still getting them in four days a week. At this age, it's usually plenty.

I am so thankful for all of your suggestions.  Thank you!   

Reading over your suggestions, though, I realize that a lot of the problem has to do with teaching two kids at once.  So many things have to be done in series for various reasons.   For one thing, they are both young enough where they don't work well independently.   Secondly, there are also limitations in equipment  (We have one computer).   And there are also limitations with teacher time.  (One mama and three kids.)  

For example, writing really does take us 20-30 minutes because I am writing down both of their narrations.   So I read to one and then write their narration (while one plays with the 1 year old) then we switch.   So I really can't figure out a way to get narrations and copywork accomplished any faster than 20-30 minutes of time.  I thought about having one do independent copy work while the other is narrating.  (And alternating days with narrating/copywork.)  BUT--I really feel like they need me watching over their shoulder during copy work so I can catch errors right away.  I've learned this the hard way.  (Otherwise they are spending time practicing writing things wrong..that is exactly what I don't want. )    Plus, it sure is helpful to have one child keeping the one year old busy.  

BUT--I do think that I could possibly combine writing with history and science.   I am exploring the book "Write from History" now as a way of doing that.   I could just forgo writing with ease and do our content subjects and writing together. 

I can't really double up handwriting with other subjects either like some suggested.  They haven't yet learned all of their cursive letters.   (Just about 10 or so of the lowercase letters.)  So copywork and spelling are done in manuscript until they get the mechanics of cursive writing down.   After that we can use copywork to practice cursive handwriting, but we aren't there yet. 

Computer time really does take us 20-30 minutes.   We have one computer...so the other one is eating a snack or taking a short breather while they wait their turn. 

Reading is a weak area for my son.  So that is another area I can't cut down on.  That has to be our priority subject.  He also isn't to the point where he can read to me from his history or science texts.  So reading needs to be a separate subject.   I used to have the kids "buddy read" which helped me shave 30 minutes off my day.   But a reading tutor that I trust strongly recommended that the kids each have their own separate reading session.  After watching my son 'buddy read',  she thinks he needs more time reading by himself.

I'm afraid to only do spelling 2 or 3 days per week.  (Again, I probably don't want to cut anything though!  So I am trying to remain open to making changes.)    Has anyone ever done all about spelling on a loop and still made progress?   I feel like if we don't do it everyday consistently, the kids don't retain very much.   I *COULD* easily put grammar on a loop.   That is not our highest priority subject at this stage.  I just don't have anything to loop it with.  ;) 

I think I CAN possibly cut history and science down to 30 minutes a day.   Those are our pleasure subjects, so a lot of time is spent chasing rabbit tails, coloring in their notebooks, etc.   I could probably be a bit quicker in those. 

Memory work is another pleasure subject (believe it or not).   They sort of sing and dance their way through history, science, poetry, and bible verses.   A lot of time is probably wasted with all of this dancing, singing, and joking around.   ;)  But I hate to be overly strict with the clock when they are having fun.  So I just schedule more time. 

Second grade should be 3-4 hours on a bad day--and preferably more like 2-3.

Here's what I'd do:

20-30 minutes Read Aloud--move to bedtime

20-30 minutes Writing (Narration and Copywork)--reduce to 10 minutes

20-30 minutes reading with one child, then...--this is good

20-30 minutes reading with the next child--and so is this

10-15 minutes cursive--reduce to 5 minutes (or eliminate)

10-15 minutes grammar (first language lessons 2)--this is fine

20-30 minutes spelling (all about spelling 2)--reduce to 15 minutes

20-30 minutes math (singapore 2a/2b)--this is good--I might even expand

60 minutes science or history--reduce to 30-45 minutes

20-30 minutes of time spent reviewing memory work--I'd eliminate

20-30 minutes of time on computer --I'd only do the math facts for 10 minutes

That adds up to 190 minutes using all of the longer times and not counting bedtime reading.  That means that each child is only doing 160 minutes of work, which is just about right.

I think it is taking longer because you have two second graders. At that age they need mama right there while they do their lessons, and if you are busy with one, then the other has to wait. That adds up quickly.

Is there some way that while you do reading with one the other can work on say...spelling? I am unfamiliar with the spelling program you use and I don't know if it can be done independently.

My guess is that if you took the time for each child and counted it up you would find each kid needs about 2 or 2.5 hours. But you have to have them stacked up, right?

(and I never did review of memory work)

Yes!  I think you pin pointed my problem.  You replied while I was typing up that realization.  There are very few things they can do independently.   Add to that a toddler who is doing everything he can to get his share of attention....and....well...I am finding it hard to cut that time down.

I have two second graders this year (and a toddler hanging around!)   School seems to take us a long time.  I was thinking that perhaps I was wasting time somewhere or being inefficient.   So I wrote out a list of our subjects and how long we usually spend on things.  

This is what I came up with...

20-30 minutes Read Aloud

20-30 minutes Writing (Narration and Copywork)

20-30 minutes reading with one child, then...

20-30 minutes reading with the next child

10-15 minutes cursive

10-15 minutes grammar (first language lessons 2)

20-30 minutes spelling (all about spelling 2)

20-30 minutes math (singapore 2a/2b)

60 minutes science or history

20-30 minutes of time spent reviewing memory work

20-30 minutes of time on computer (geography review using shepherds software, xtra math, or times attack)

That basically means if we take NO play breaks (only break for eating, taking care of baby), we might be doing school from 9AM to 3:30PM.   That seems too long, yet I don't really feel my subject load is excessive.  In fact, I am not even doing everything that I want to be doing.  I would love to add musical instrument practice, latin, and bible to my schedule.  But I just can't seem to fit more in.

On some days we don't do all of these subjects.   If I feel like the kids are getting too tired, I usually cut something out at the end of the day.   Usually the things that get cut are: grammar, writing, cursive, or 'computer' work.  But that just means that school is finishing up by about 3 instead of 3:30PM...not a huge difference.

Give me your thoughts....but do so gently and kindly please.   These are my babies and I care about them very much.  :)  

I have two 2nd Graders this year, too. Instead of a toddler, I have a 4th Grader. ;) We're having a wonderful year. I do think that 2nd Graders are kind of labor-intensive. That is, they are going to need a lot of one-on-one teacher time. I'm trying to move mine towards some independence (e.g., Memory Work, math fact cards, Basic Phonograms CD-ROM, etc.). It's a work in progress.

Some of our days are as long as yours, but every day isn't quite that long. I think that if all our days were 9 am to 3 pm or later, that would truly burn us all out, myself included. But I don't think you're saying that all your days are so long, only some days.

IMO, some long days are okay, if you are keeping your finger on the pulse of your children and yourself. If it feels "too long" for your children, then it may be truly too long. OTOH, if you do the hard academic work in the mornings, and then have relaxing, creative afternoons with Science, History, Art, Music, crafts -- and you're all thriving -- then that's okay, too.

Our days vary. Sometimes, I do push to spend more time on particular tasks. At other times, I set them free to go play. Often, they have easy-going mornings, and then we work in the afternoon and evening. It just depends on the day, my husband's work schedule (he has none), and what else is on my plate. If we worked 9 am to 3 pm every day, I do think it would be "too much" for my 2nd graders. I'm sure it would be "too much" for me. LOL. No, seriously, I can and do push my 4th Grader about that much, but I am sure that my 2nd Graders do best with less "school." KWIM?

In looking at your schedule, I see a few things that we do differently here. For one thing, we don't do Grammar and Spelling and Cursive and Reading and Composition every day. My 2nd Graders have 2-3 Grammar lessons per week, 2-3 Spelling lessons per week, and 1-2 specific assignments for cursive each week (they are required to do all their written work in cursive). Each child reads (Guided Reading) to me 2-3 times per week, for about 10 minutes each time, so 20-30 minutes per student. They read on their own in their free time. So, we have weekly goals for English components, instead of doing each piece daily. I do think it's "enough." If I had to teach every component of English every day, I would just die. Would weekly targets work for you? This is what we do:

Grammar (2-3x/week)  FLL 3, first half this year, grammar lessons only

Spelling (2-3x/week)   AAS 2

Cursive (1-2x/week)   Prima Latina Copybook, made it myself using StartWrite NAC

Guided Reading (2-3x/week)  McGuffey's or Classics for Young Readers or something else

WWE 2 (2x/week)  Days 1 & 2 on one day, Days 3 & 4 on another day, so basically it's a narration and a copywork/dictation on the same day

The other difference is that we don't do Science or History each day. We're at about 30 minutes of hands-on Science 3x/week, a bit more time on Science RAs, about 30 minutes of History 2x/week, and plenty of history-related audiobooks. Last year, that was in reverse (i.e., History had more time than Science).

If you want to add in Christian Discipleship, you could simply read a Bible chapter together about 3x/week, sing a hymn, and pray. No planning necessary, just a Bible and a bookmark.

If you want to start Latin, there's nothing gentler than Prima Latina, which I think is perfect for 2nd Graders who read well and are interested in words.

The best lesson I learned (last year) was that you don't have to do everything every week. You can do some things in seasons of 8-weeks or 9-weeks. You could decide to stop Grammar for 6 weeks and focus on Music for that time. You can drop History for a while and focus on Geography. It's really okay.

HTH. I have to go, it's time for church.

I would encourage you to stop writing out the narrations, or only write out one a week and take the rest orally.

I'm not sure whether you are using the narration for the copy work or not, but if you are and want to continue, you could scribe the narration on Monday, then have the child copy a sentence from that Monday narration each day. However, I'm just not convinced if the utility of having a second grader copy their own narration.

If you are using literature for the copy work, I would keep that but reduce the handwriting. I wouldn't have a child doing both handwriting and copying their own narration, but I would do short copy work from good literature and handwriting (to be combined once they master all the letters).

We did narration based on our history reading. I let my two alternate day-to-day and I didn't write it down. Maybe you use the written narrations for something?

In my family we trudged through spelling every year (didn't use AAS) but didn't really make progress until both were reading fluently and writing more, mid 3rd grade. So for my youngest we will do spelling lightly for the first few years.

I would let some of the history and science go for now and focus on the 3Rs. When they are reading better, they can be more independent. You can hit history and science heavier in years to come, and when the toddler is able to be left alone without destroying the house! :) Maybe try to get some of your read alouds to coincide. Are you trying to do readalouds while the toddler is awake? Perhaps you are doing it during naptime. Also, I have one 3rd grader this year, and 3rd grade is better than 2nd :)

I would also recommend reducting language arts.  If your kids are still not proficient readers, drop grammar.  Remove writing and copywork until they can do copywork in cursive (should only be for a month).  Hit reading and spelling since those are the areas you are most concerned about.  Shorten your history and science time to 30 minutes and allow the last 5-10 minutes for narrations.

Could you move read-aloud/computer time to during the baby's nap so that they really could alternate tasks?

What about training your baby to spend 20 minutes in the pack and play with his "special" toys?

You have my sympathy since I spend a great deal of time listening to reading lessons while allowing a baby to jump on my lap.

I'll be in blue below.

I am so thankful for all of your suggestions.  Thank you!   

Reading over your suggestions, though, I realize that a lot of the problem has to do with teaching two kids at once.  So many things have to be done in series for various reasons.   For one thing, they are both young enough where they don't work well independently.   Secondly, there are also limitations in equipment  (We have one computer).   And there are also limitations with teacher time.  (One mama and three kids.)  

Yes, this is us, too. Two 2nd Graders, a third child, and one very slow computer. I think I have it easier than you do, though, because my 4th Grader is not wearing me out like a toddler would! ;) I will say that I've worked this year to move my 2nd Graders more towards doing whatever they can as independently as they can. Some things they do more or less on their own include: 

1. Memory Work (it's all printed up in a booklet that I make in Word, they recite when they're ready, and I do go over this work with them from time to time).

2. Math Fact practice (they either study flash cards or do math facts on the computer, 10 minutes at a time).

3. Kumon math workbooks (they get the workbook out of the drawer, find the page for the assignment, complete the lesson, and return the book to my "Correct" pile).

4. Junior Bible Quiz fact pack (they find the assigned cards, study them, sometimes they quiz each other, every now and then I quiz the kids).

5. Prima Latina copybook (as I mentioned above, I make this in StartWrite, and my twins complete this [but they mastered cursive last year in 1st grade, so I wouldn't be doing this for 2nd if they hadn't. Instead, I'd do what you're doing and do teacher-intensive cursive).

6. Spelling: Basic Phonograms (on the Kindle, if you have AAS, there's a free app download available on their website, you can get this on a Kindle, if you have one).

7. Exercise (they have to get some form of exercise every day, they are on their own for this).

8. Beginning Geography [Evan Moor] (all three like to do this together, but I have nothing to do with it).

9. What the Bible Is All About for Kids (they independently read their assigned pages, sometimes we go over it together).

10. Vocabulary (they find their assigned cards [English from the Roots Up], study the root and only the meanings, every few weeks they have a quiz).

11. Ecoutez, Parlez French 1 (they get out the CD, listen to/repeat the lesson, put everything away).

Each student has a 3-ring binder with their weekly work for the entire year, in a grid format. They are responsible for checking off the work they do, either independently or with me. I have my own planner, with all the student plans, so I mark off the work, too. This allows them to see exactly what needs to get done each week. If you'd like to see an example, PM me and I can email you an attachment. I'm not posting this to brag, not at all, just to let you (OP) see that my 2nd Graders (both girls) are able to handle this level of independence, yet there is still so much that requires one-on-one or two-on-one with me. (I hope that made sense, I'm very tired).

But I do think that having two 2nd Graders is time and teacher-intensive, no matter how much they can do on their own. I think it felt more that way last year for us, in 1st grade. This year is.... how would I put it? This year I feel as though I've rolled some of the responsibility for learning off my shoulders and onto theirs. And they can absolutely handle what they are assigned, it is not burdensome for them. They LOVE having this sort of leadership over themselves and part of their work. Does that make sense? I mean, last year, it was EVERYTHING being Mommy-led for them. This year, they are doing more of their own management, so this makes them like their older sister. :)

I think that if you can encourage yourself with the fact that your 2nd Graders will not be forever dependent on you to oversee every letter's formation and every punctuation mark (believe me, I know!), then you will put in the time this year to build those foundational skills, even if History and/or Science or something else is a little short-changed. We are, of course, still building those skills here, too, but I am a bit freer now to walk away for a while and let them work on things. Laying the foundation in writing, copywork, reading, and spelling really does pay off. 

For example, writing really does take us 20-30 minutes because I am writing down both of their narrations.   So I read to one and then write their narration (while one plays with the 1 year old) then we switch.   So I really can't figure out a way to get narrations and copywork accomplished any faster than 20-30 minutes of time.  I thought about having one do independent copy work while the other is narrating.  (And alternating days with narrating/copywork.)  BUT--I really feel like they need me watching over their shoulder during copy work so I can catch errors right away.  I've learned this the hard way.  (Otherwise they are spending time practicing writing things wrong..that is exactly what I don't want. )    Plus, it sure is helpful to have one child keeping the one year old busy.  

We do WWE 2 here. I read the story passage, then alternate asking the questions. I think there are enough questions for most narrations that this is okay. Perhaps not ideal, but okay. The girls whisper their narrations to me, in my ear, which mostly sounds like hot air. God forbid that a twin should overhear a narration sentence! Now that they are proficient with cursive, I usually just have them write down their own narrations. I wonder if you could have one student work on the computer while you're doing narrations/copywork with the other student? Then switch?

BUT--I do think that I could possibly combine writing with history and science.   I am exploring the book "Write from History" now as a way of doing that.   I could just forgo writing with ease and do our content subjects and writing together. 

Personally, I would plod along with WWE for 2nd and let History be audiobooks (SOTW, Your Story Hour, Jim Weiss) and history videos and a shelf full of books that you read together when you have time. I'd let Science be time outside, museum trips, zoo trips, videos, science songs, and books on the shelf that you read when you have time. Especially with your 2 + 1, anything open-and-go (like WWE) is effective and efficient over time, because it's more likely to actually happen. :D

Having said that, I will say that this year, we are covering History with the read-and-report method. Now that their reading and writing skills are solid enough, the girls can choose a topic, select resources from the History Bookshelves, read those resources, and write a report on their topic. Each student then meets with me to read and (gently) correct the report. They will soon be taking the same read-and-report approach to Science (with some other hands-on stuff that I'm teaching). I think that plodding along with WWE has built skills in my girls, and now they are able to use these skills to produce their own "works" in History and Science.

I can't really double up handwriting with other subjects either like some suggested.  They haven't yet learned all of their cursive letters.   (Just about 10 or so of the lowercase letters.)  So copywork and spelling are done in manuscript until they get the mechanics of cursive writing down.   After that we can use copywork to practice cursive handwriting, but we aren't there yet. 

Computer time really does take us 20-30 minutes.   We have one computer...so the other one is eating a snack or taking a short breather while they wait their turn. 

Reading is a weak area for my son.  So that is another area I can't cut down on.  That has to be our priority subject.  He also isn't to the point where he can read to me from his history or science texts.  So reading needs to be a separate subject.   I used to have the kids "buddy read" which helped me shave 30 minutes off my day.   But a reading tutor that I trust strongly recommended that the kids each have their own separate reading session.  After watching my son 'buddy read',  she thinks he needs more time reading by himself.

I'm afraid to only do spelling 2 or 3 days per week.  (Again, I probably don't want to cut anything though!  So I am trying to remain open to making changes.)    Has anyone ever done all about spelling on a loop and still made progress?   I feel like if we don't do it everyday consistently, the kids don't retain very much.   I *COULD* easily put grammar on a loop.   That is not our highest priority subject at this stage.  I just don't have anything to loop it with.  ;)

My 2nd Graders are doing AAS 2 at the breath-taking pace of ONE step per week. Woohoo. That usually takes just one session, sometimes two. They review the Basic Phonograms on the Kindle or computer about once per week. That's it. After they finish Level 2, they will do the 2nd grade pages in All About Homophones. I'm fine with that. They could go faster, but why?

I think I CAN possibly cut history and science down to 30 minutes a day.   Those are our pleasure subjects, so a lot of time is spent chasing rabbit tails, coloring in their notebooks, etc.   I could probably be a bit quicker in those. 

Memory work is another pleasure subject (believe it or not).   They sort of sing and dance their way through history, science, poetry, and bible verses.   A lot of time is probably wasted with all of this dancing, singing, and joking around.   ;)  But I hate to be overly strict with the clock when they are having fun.  So I just schedule more time. 

Anyway, I appreciated your post today especially. I was sick before Thanksgiving Week, and it lasted a week, the bugger. We got so "behind!" This week, we've been working hard to get back to where we want to be, and so we've had a few longer-than-usual days. Good days, and fun, just somewhat long.

Most of the homeschoolers we know are "done" in an hour. It gets hard to hear that all the time and stay focused. KWIM? Anyway, I'm sure your posts helped me more than mine helped you. LOL!

You are doing fine, AttachedMama. Your posts are just oozing with dedication to and passion for your children. They are blessed to have you.

It is easy to get lots of good things, which only take a little time each. I think you could shave a few things off completely. I know this isn't popular, but I would scrap FLL completely, have one do computer time while you do 1:1 reading with the other, quit handwriting (if they're doing copywork they don't need extra cursive), make read aloud part of history/science (or do them via audiobook while in the car), and what are you doing for memory work that is daily 30 minutes? Is this science and history memory work on top of 60 min a day of science or history? Our memory work is short and sweet and repeated - daily twice for ~5 minutes each time. Frequency is more effective than duration.

I really like the idea of multum non multa - reading, math, copywork/narration at that age

Yes!  I think you pin pointed my problem.  You replied while I was typing up that realization.  There are very few things they can do independently.   Add to that a toddler who is doing everything he can to get his share of attention....and....well...I am finding it hard to cut that time down.

Since everyone needs mom simultaneously, and cutting back on time isn't going to work (for specific reasons you listed), AND everything takes longer with a toddler underfoot, then I think your best bet is to just plan on working for 3 hours each day and be done for the day, with the exception of reading aloud later in the afternoon/evening. Next day, pick up where you left off, and keep working. Your schedule is to "do the next thing"; most of your materials look like they allow for that, so you don't have to schedule things out yourself day by day. And, just plan on a 42-week school year, or year-round schooling, for a year or two until the 2nd graders are a little older and more independent.

Be encouraged: in the big picture, this is a short season of high need! Flexibility is your friend right now, by being willing to sometimes drop things or loop schedule or school year round, to "double dip" or do some things orally (to speed them up).

What about a grandma or relative who might like to come over regularly to be "teacher's assistant" or take a child or two for a morning out, allowing you deep focus time with the remaining child(ren)? Or hire a teen "mother's helper" or retired lady or homeschooler mom who has graduated all her children to come in once a week to be a second pair of hands / ears / eyes.

:grouphug:  Hang in there! BEST of luck in finding what helps ease the schedule and brings back some joy for all of you in this adventure of homeschooling together. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I'll be in blue below.

Anyway, I appreciated your post today especially. I was sick before Thanksgiving Week, and it lasted a week, the bugger. We got so "behind!" This week, we've been working hard to get back to where we want to be, and so we've had a few longer-than-usual days. Good days, and fun, just somewhat long.

Most of the homeschoolers we know are "done" in an hour. It gets hard to hear that all the time and stay focused. KWIM? Anyway, I'm sure your posts helped me more than mine helped you. LOL!

You are doing fine, AttachedMama. Your posts are just oozing with dedication to and passion for your children. They are blessed to have you.

What a kind and thoughtful post!   Thanks so much for the encouragement.  I can't tell you how uplifting that post was to read.   Thanks so much to ALL of you for the encouragement and advice.

I also love the idea of having a 'quitting time' each day like you suggested Lori D.  I think that might be a great idea.

The good news is.....even though our days are often long (going until 2:30 or 3:30PM most days)---we are having the BEST school year ever.   I mean, seriously, It has been a GREAT school year.  I have been enjoying homeschooling so much this year.   The kids even (sometimes) say that it is so fun.  :)  Schooling with a toddler has been challenging, but also hilarious at the same time.   (Sometimes you just have to laugh when they get into the pantry and dump flour everywhere while you are teaching spelling!) 

Also, I should point out.....the kids haven't complained about the work load.  They have gotten into a routine with their day,  so these subjects are just expected.   I started this post as a precautionary measure because I feel like they are doing more school than most kids their age.  I don't want to push them too hard!

And I don't want to burn out.   My DH usually gets home from work around 6:30PM....so they do have a good 3 to 5 hours of free play every day before we sit down and eat dinner.   Which sounds like a lot.  But I was wondering if it is enough.    (All of the public schooled kids get home around 3:30PM....then they have hours of homework and sports practice.) 

The good news is.....even though our days are often long (going until 2:30 or 3:30PM most days)---we are having the BEST school year ever.   I mean, seriously, It has been a GREAT school year.  I have been enjoying homeschooling so much this year.   The kids even (sometimes) say that it is so fun.  :)  Schooling with a toddler has been challenging, but also hilarious at the same time.

Wonderful! What a blessing! :)

Also, I should point out.....the kids haven't complained about the work load.  They have gotten into a routine with their day,  so these subjects are just expected.   I started this post as a precautionary measure because I feel like they are doing more school than most kids their age.  I don't want to push them too hard!

And I don't want to burn out. 

Very wise. :) Hope you have some ideas from this thread that you can pull out of your bag of tricks if needed. Have a wonderful holiday, and a great spring semester! Warmest regards, Lori D.

What a kind and thoughtful post!   Thanks so much for the encouragement.  I can't tell you how uplifting that post was to read.   Thanks so much to ALL of you for the encouragement and advice.

I also love the idea of having a 'quitting time' each day like you suggested Lori D.  I think that might be a great idea.

The good news is.....even though our days are often long (going until 2:30 or 3:30PM most days)---we are having the BEST school year ever.   I mean, seriously, It has been a GREAT school year.  I have been enjoying homeschooling so much this year.   The kids even (sometimes) say that it is so fun.  :)  Schooling with a toddler has been challenging, but also hilarious at the same time.   (Sometimes you just have to laugh when they get into the pantry and dump flour everywhere while you are teaching spelling!) 

And I don't want to burn out.   My DH usually gets home from work around 6:30PM....so they do have a good 3 to 5 hours of free play every day before we sit down and eat dinner.   Which sounds like a lot.  But I was wondering if it is enough.    (All of the public schooled kids get home around 3:30PM....then they have hours of homework and sports practice.) 

AWESOME! I think this says a lot. I mean...if it's WORKING and you are all enjoying it--then it's probably not too much. A lot depends on how much break-time is actually built in (one child being with the 1 yo while you work with the other, etc...). Some schedules are really "tight" with the seat-work, while other schedules incorporate all those mini-breaks--so that the actual school time is not the full length of what's written. 

When my kids were this age, our routine looked something like this (no baby, so not much "extra" time in these times):

20 minutes Bible

20-30 minutes reading (each child)

10-15 minutes handwriting

15 minutes spelling or copywork (we didn't have AAS back then!) I kept LA to about an hour for 2nd grade, and in 3rd, added in another time segment for grammar or writing or other LA activity--I typically didn't do both in one day, and didn't let LA go over 90 minutes. 

20-30 minutes math

30-40 minutes science or history (I often alternated days and read double, rather than do both daily) This was sometimes a project time instead--it's a great time-slot to rotate.

10-20 minutes of time spent reviewing memory work (AWANA etc...)

Art, music, basic composer study/music appreciation sometimes--not daily. Maybe one of these subjects you'd like to get in could rotate with your computer time-slot once a week?

Read-aloud at night--lightened up our school day and was fun before bed. That really made a big difference for us and how we felt about the time school took. 

Mostly...keep doing what's working!

Merry :-)