Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW49

Robin M

So, when I asked my dad a few days ago to tell me again which British mystery writers he likes, he thought I was asking because I want to read some. Today, he showed up at my house w/ a Martha Grimes book for me to try. :lol:  I guess I'm going to have to fit it in somewhere.

In the meantime, I had a few minutes to eke out a teensy-weensy bit of reading today. I decided to shelve everything I've been reading & start something else. So, I started the futuristic Ubik by Philip K. Dick. "Futuristic" in that the future in question is 1992. :laugh: (The book was written in the 1960s.) Decided on Ubik because it was on the <cough, cough... Jane's favorite> Buzzfeed list of 33 Books You Should Read Now, Based On Your Favourite Films. Since I love (really, really love!!!) Inception, it recommends reading Ubik. So far, so good... :thumbup1:

From Time's All-TIME 100 Novels:

Having never read Philip K. Dick before, I thought this was an interesting article: A Prince of Pulp, Legit at Last.

Maybe I need to write the list of 33 Books You Should Never Read (Cuz I Said So and Even I Have Not Read Them!!)

Your comment on Inception inspires me to ask something I may have asked before:  Have you seen Paprika?  Nolan was influenced by it.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I need to write the list of 33 Books You Should Never Read (Cuz I Said So and Even I Have Not Read Them!!)

Your comment on Inception inspires me to ask something I may have asked before:  Have you seen Paprika?  Nolan was influenced by it.

old-hearing-trumpet-emoticon.gif

Eh, can you speak into my hearing trumpet, Jane? I'm not sure I heard you...

:p :D

No. What is Paprika? Is it a movie?

old-hearing-trumpet-emoticon.gif

Eh, can you speak into my hearing trumpet, Jane? I'm not sure I heard you...

:p :D

No. What is Paprika? Is it a movie?

Yup.  Or should I say YUP!  Paprika is an anime film, Japanese, that came out a few years before Inception.  See it if you looove Inception.  A bit more info:

https://farfromthesilverscreen.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/anime-vs-hollywood-paprika-inception/

I texted my anime-loving college boy about Paprika and his first response was "how on earth have YOU heard about it?"  Young whipper snapper!   :toetap05:  I explained I heard about it from my BaW buddies, of course!  He has no idea just how formidably cool we collectively are!  His take was that it was really strange, and a tad too cerebral for him when he watched it.  

Tam's description has sold me -- I'll have to look for it!

It seemed like a good gray day for starting my Mary Stewart novel, Stormy Petrel, and it feels like it will hit the spot during the next cool, rainy (they promise!) days.

I picked up The Golem and The Jinni tonight and am enjoying it. Not terribly far into it but it does tend to grab you. Of course, still poking through Ten Ways To Destroy Your Child's Imagination and desperately wishing we could buy a house in the country. ;) My kids are outdoors plenty but there's nothing like being able to explore out in the woods or on acres of land. 

That one is sitting on my shelf, I can't wait to read it

For delightful, there's a Courtney Milan here somewhere which has been calling to me for a few weeks & I think it's going to the top of the TBR pile today :)

Which one?  I've enjoyed a number of her books.

Your comment on Inception inspires me to ask something I may have asked before:  Have you seen Paprika? 

Why, yes.  I see it routinely at the grocery store!  (Okay, okay.  I couldn't resist.)

Regards,

Kareni

Becky, The Elegance of the Hedgehog is one I couldn't make it through. I stopped partway. I sometimes joke that French authors & I don't mix. Lol. (Of course, like always, I turn around & completely contradict myself by saying that Alexandre Dumas is one of my favorite authors; I thoroughly enjoyed Translation is a Love Affair by a Québécois author --  is he really considered French or not?) Anyway, quite a few have loved Elegance, so I'm curious to see what your final opinion will be.

Paprika sounds really good. Just looking at the trailer, I can see some snippets where Nolan used a similar visual in his movie. (For example, see the mirror breaking in both previews.) Will have to look up the movie/find it on dvd. (I don't have Amazon Streaming/Prime.) Now, I definitely want to see Paprika & watch Inception again. Thanks for the recommendation!!! Violet Crown, glad to hear your dh loves Ubik, as well as Inception. Bodes well! 

Angel, I think The Monuments Men is fine for a 13yo boy. But, I'm not sure how interested a 13yo boy would be in The Monuments Men, even if he is into WWII. He might enjoy poking around the Monuments Men website.

As much as I enjoyed The Monuments Men, I'm thinking there must be other WWII books out there that would be more appealing to a 13yo. That said, both my dc (& especially my 13yo ds) really enjoyed The Monuments Men movie. (Neither of them read the book.)

I just finished The Scorch Trials (book 2 in The Maze Runner series)

Dh and dd14 just finished this book and the 3rd last week.  Both thought that the 3rd book was "brutal." Not sure what that means but they were glued.  Dh is reading the prequel now, and dd is reading the first of another series by Dashner.  

Elizabeth Wein has two awesome historical fiction books set in WW2 Code Name Verity & Rose Under Fire.   My ds really liked both of these.  I think they're officially recommended Gr. 9 & up so it would depend a bit on your nephew's maturity.

The Book Thief is another WW2 book, much more well known & possibly he's already read it....

Thank you!  I am hesitant about Code Name Verity only because I recommended it to a friend who loves WWII fiction (unlike me) because I saw it recommended here.  She was surprised it was a YA book because of some sort of mature theme with the women who were kidnapped :confused1: .  I had forgotten about The Book Thief.  I will check with his mom on this one.  

Becky, The Elegance of the Hedgehog is one I couldn't make it through. I stopped partway. I sometimes joke that French authors & I don't mix. Lol. (Of course, like always, I turn around & completely contradict myself by saying that Alexandre Dumas is one of my favorite authors; I thoroughly enjoyed Translation is a Love Affair by a Québécois author --  is he really considered French or not?) Anyway, quite a few have loved Elegance, so I'm curious to see what your final opinion will be.

Absolument, cherie. He's French Canadian.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad: I've been meaning to revisit this since I read Achebe's take down of it.  I expected to agree with Achebe completely - and I'd hated the book last time around, but instead I was drawn very much into it... and I can see how this could end up in the vicinity of a best of list without anyone needing to cringe - though I still cringe at the idea of this as high school reading material...

This has been one of my favorites for a long time but I haven't read it in the past 5 yrs. I don't think I'm up for it now but maybe in the spring.  I'm not sure I quite grasp the post colonial critiques of it. I haven't read Achebe on it & only have read brief discussions of the issues he identified. It will be interesting to revisit this book .... but it's way too heavy for me now.

So I logged my latest book on Goodreads and notice the suggestions listed. It said because I read Gluten Freedom it recommends the book Passionate Marriage. So there ya go, people, eliminating gluten is tied to a passionate marriage. I have this off expert advice. 

:lol:

Mister Blue by Jacques Poulin: I think I ended up with this because my library had it, but not Translation is a Love Affair which Stacia recommended... if so, thank you (again!), Stacia.  This is a quiet, somewhat odd book with a sweet heart.. with a tang to underlying the sweetness (or vice versa?)

Good to know. I need to see if my library system here has any of his books. (I read Translation is a Love Affair through my sister's library system.)

Speaking of libraries, looks like they have Paprika. :hurray:

Vlad by Carlos Fuentes: This is my fault - I thought it was Stacia's because I had a vague memory that she'd read it the other year and it was described as humorous and as making connecting to Latin American issues in a deep, symbolic way... and it was short... and I keep feeling guilty that I don't read Latin American fiction, just prose and poetry...  I didn't see much humor here... and if there's a "message" it's the kind I feel litcrit types make up out of wholecloth... and even if there were one, it isn't worth enduring the vile, disgustingness that is this story to find it.

Well, sorry about that! I know I mentioned Vlad a couple of years ago because I started reading it. I thought it would be a good 'spooky' read, especially since I tend to love vampire books. But, I got partway in this short book & it got way too creepy for me. I ended up not finishing it. Vile disgustingness sounds about like how I remember it too. I still remember the description in the scene where I decided not to continue reading. <shudder>  Eliana, I know you don't like horror books, so I'm surprised you made it all the way through this one! There is no way I can conceive of this book being described as 'humorous'.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad: I've been meaning to revisit this since I read Achebe's take down of it.  I expected to agree with Achebe completely - and I'd hated the book last time around, but instead I was drawn very much into it... and I can see how this could end up in the vicinity of a best of list without anyone needing to cringe - though I still cringe at the idea of this as high school reading material...

This has been one of my favorites for a long time

I count Heart of Darkness as one of my favorites. It has been so many, many years since I've read it, I think I need to revisit it -- maybe a 2015 book for me.

I finished Only Enchanting last night https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/mary-balogh/only-enchanting/. It is the fourth in Mary Balogh's Survivor's Club series which I have been really enjoying. This was probably my favorite so far.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it as I'm waiting for the library copy to arrive.  I've found others in the series to be uneven; the first of them probably spoke least to me.  (Perhaps it's a case of overblown expectations as the first book featured a character whose story many were awaiting.)

Regards,

Kareni

Popping back for a second to paste this in - sorry it has taken so long, Rosie! 

Then I am probably too late - sorry!  This has been a crazy few weeks.

No, no. I was down at the Jewish shop this week and the chap sold me the Complete Idiots Guide to Judaism, which he assured me was nothing personal. My enabling brother reminded me how much fun other people's food laws are, so I came home with a very expensive, beautiful hardcover called "The Kosher Kitchen: A practical guide" by Rabbi Binyomin Forst. Just the sort of thing someone with a kitchen witchy persuasion would need, no?

So I will need two more for my challenge, and will consider your recommendations carefully, thank you!

I returned 50 Greatest mysteries with two stories unread because I found out it was very overdue and couldn't renew it. I'm going to count it as read because I deserve it after over450 pages. I also finished The Man in the Empty Suit. The end was very satisfactory. I've picked up some new books, eeny, meeny, miney, mo.

I see that a book that I've previously enjoyed reading is free to Kindle readers:

Fatal Affair: Book One of The Fatal Series by Marie Force

"Washington, D.C., Metro Police Detective Sergeant Sam Holland needs a big win to salvage her career--and her confidence--after a disastrous investigation. The perfect opportunity arises when Senator John O'Connor is found brutally murdered in his bed, and Sam is assigned to the case. Matters get complicated when Sam has to team up with Nick Cappuano, O'Connor's friend and chief of staff...and the man Sam had a memorable one-night stand with years earlier. Their sexual chemistry still sizzles, and Sam has to fight to stay focused on the case. Sleeping with a material witness is another mistake she can't afford--especially when the bodies keep piling up."

This is the first book in a series of six or seven books.

Regards,

Kareni

Finished 56. Walter Van Tilburg Clark, The Ox-Bow Incident. Here's the weak-willed Judge Tyler trying to salve his conscience for his failure to stop the lynch mob by giving an ineffective speech on law and order:

-----------------

The men grinned, and Smith called, "Cut the stumping, Judge," and when the Judge hesitated, "It's all been said for you, Tyler. All we want's your blessing."

Davies didn't want the Judge to get into an oration any more than the rest did. He came over beside the Judge's horse before the Judge could start again, and said something. Osgood trailed out too.

"Certainly, certainly, Mr. Davies," the Judge said, but still in his platform voice, "just the point I was coming to."

"Men," he addressed us, "you cannot flinch from what you believe to be your duty, of course, but certainly you would not wish to act in the very spirit which begot the deed you would punish."

"By the time you got us ready to act, Tyler," Smith shouted, "the rustlers could be over the Rio." There was agreement; others called ribald advice. Ma leaned on her saddle directly in front of the Judge and grinned at him. The Judge's neck and jowls began to swell slowly and turn red.

-------------------------

I had the pleasure of loaning the book to a friend today. She's planning to come back for Dobie's Tales of Old-Time Texas, and thought it was hilarious that Sam Bass was a hero-outlaw of Round Rock. (You'd have to live here to get why that's so amusing.)

What to read next, oh what.....

The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest 2014 Contest Winners have been announced.

Here's the winning entry from the Dishonorable Mentions category (this is not the grand prize winning entry):

"Finally after ninety-seven long days adrift Captain Pertwee was rescued, mercifully ending his miserable diet of rainwater and strips of sun dried Haddock which was actually far ghastlier than it sounded what with George Haddock being his former first mate." — Phillip Davies, Cardiff, U.K.

mumto2, does this make you think of a particular book?

Regards,

Kareni

Here's the winning entry from the Dishonorable Mentions category (this is not the grand prize winning entry):

"Finally after ninety-seven long days adrift Captain Pertwee was rescued, mercifully ending his miserable diet of rainwater and strips of sun dried Haddock which was actually far ghastlier than it sounded what with George Haddock being his former first mate." — Phillip Davies, Cardiff, U.K.

mumto2, does this make you think of a particular book?

Regards,

Kareni

Yes it does....

:smilielol5:

I was laughing as I scrolled through but this one brought tears to my eyes:

When the CSI investigator lifted the sheet revealing the mutilated body with the Ginsu Knife still protruding from the bloody chest, Detective Miller wondered why anybody would ever need two of them, even if he only had to pay extra shipping and handling. — Brian Brandt, Lansdale, PA

Or how about the runner up in the fantasy category:

After years of Dame Gothel’s tyrrany, Rapunzel was only seconds from freedom, until, with an agonized scream, the prince plunged to his death in the thorns below, grasping a handful of detached blond strands–the golden stair having been irreparably weakened by the deficiency of Vitamins B3, B6, and B7 in his love’s new celiac-friendly diet. — Kevin Hogg, Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Oh my word!  What a great way to begin my day!  Thank you, thank you.

I'm thinking the BaWers with younger ones would appreciate knowing about this lovely book called Mary's Little Donkey by Gunhild Sehlin. It's not a picture book though there are some very sweet pen and ink drawings sprinkled throughout its 160 pages. The story is a lovely exploration of the trip to Bethlehem, birth of Jesus and trip to Egypt from donkey's consciousness, which is to say, that aspect of us that bears the load, that trudges on, that is faithful, patient and stubborn :D Very, very sweet and well written. I asked tween ds if he wanted to read it again this year and he very much does :D

Nan and other Agatha Raison reader's, I have been happily reading the latest Blood of an Englishman today and thought of you. I am about halfway and really enjoying it. The reviews on Goodreads are a bit brutal, as in I wondered if I wanted to even start it. But then I realized they apparently sent people copies for reviews who had never read the series. This one definately assumes the reader knows the characters already because they all just appear where they should in Agatha's life with no explanation at all for an unfamiliar reader. For someone that knows the characters it is a relief because things progress at a nice pace.

Shukriyya, before I forget we ended up using salt dough because of the fear of attracting mice to the church. Although after serving refreshments all weekend I think ornament biscuits will be the least of the mouse attractors. ;( We assured everyone that our cookies could not be good for the mice if they did eat them. We ended up with a recipe that was half salt. The first one that was a fifth salt started crumbling this week. It just was not right so we had to make new ones. Dd just finished painting the final ornaments for the tree festival. Tomorrow we decorate.......

We've talked about fleas and tapeworm and now it's time for........German roaches. Yep, I've got the nasty buggers in my house. Bug guy will be here on Friday. He suspects they could have come from the used furniture we bought a month ago or from the feed corn my dh was stashing off  my kitchen. He says it's more likely the grain dh brings into the house.  :mad:

I have to remove everything from all my cabinets, closets, pantries (I have more than 1), and move my fridge out. He also says he will have to cut into the bottom of the furniture to see if they are in there. 

If these nasty things came from the grain I will need a very good book suggestion on how a wife remains nice to her husband and doesn't do anything to land her in jail. Anything come to mind? 

So, when I asked my dad a few days ago to tell me again which British mystery writers he likes, he thought I was asking because I want to read some. Today, he showed up at my house w/ a Martha Grimes book for me to try. :lol:  I guess I'm going to have to fit it in somewhere.

In the meantime, I had a few minutes to eke out a teensy-weensy bit of reading today. I decided to shelve everything I've been reading & start something else. So, I started the futuristic Ubik by Philip K. Dick. "Futuristic" in that the future in question is 1992. :laugh: (The book was written in the 1960s.) Decided on Ubik because it was on the <cough, cough... Jane's favorite> Buzzfeed list of 33 Books You Should Read Now, Based On Your Favourite Films. Since I love (really, really love!!!) Inception, it recommends reading Ubik. So far, so good... :thumbup1:

From Time's All-TIME 100 Novels:

Having never read Philip K. Dick before, I thought this was an interesting article: A Prince of Pulp, Legit at Last.

Buzzfeed ... I want to hate it because it's detestable and silly but I keep clicking on it.  I found a few films I want to watch on that list now.

I'm thinking the BaWers with younger ones would appreciate knowing about this lovely book called Mary's Little Donkey by Gunhild Sehlin. It's not a picture book though there are some very sweet pen and ink drawings sprinkled throughout its 160 pages. The story is a lovely exploration of the trip to Bethlehem, birth of Jesus and trip to Egypt from donkey's consciousness, which is to say, that aspect of us that bears the load, that trudges on, that is faithful, patient and stubborn :D Very, very sweet and well written. I asked tween ds if he wanted to read it again this year and he very much does :D

Thank you!  That looks lovely.  We're going to read it before Christmas.

We've talked about fleas and tapeworm and now it's time for........German roaches. Yep, I've got the nasty buggers in my house. Bug guy will be here on Friday. He suspects they could have come from the used furniture we bought a month ago or from the feed corn my dh was stashing off  my kitchen. He says it's more likely the grain dh brings into the house.  :mad:

I have to remove everything from all my cabinets, closets, pantries (I have more than 1), and move my fridge out. He also says he will have to cut into the bottom of the furniture to see if they are in there. 

If these nasty things came from the grain I will need a very good book suggestion on how a wife remains nice to her husband and doesn't do anything to land her in jail. Anything come to mind? 

Oh no!  That sounds like a horrible ordeal.  I didn't even know such things existed.  

Finished Ubik (per the Buzzfeed suggestion that if you like the movie "Inception", you will enjoy the book "Ubik"). And, the list was right. I enjoyed the book very much, even though it is futuristic sci-fi where the future is 1992. Lol. (Makes me feel old to be so far beyond the 'future'!) Philip K. Dick plays with reality with lots of mind-bending twists & turns. Worth reading & one I will probably pick up & read again someday.

Have now started The Spectre of Alexander Wolf by Gaito Gazdanov. I have an older (1950s) version of the book from the library, but found this book through Pushkin Press (which looks like it has a nice new translation of the book).

9781782270089.jpg

'Of all my memories, of all my life's innumerable sensations, the most onerous was that of the single murder I had committed.'

A man comes across a short story which recounts in minute detail his killing of a soldier, long ago - from the victim's point of view. It's a story that should not exist, and whose author can only be a dead man. So begins the strange quest for the elusive writer 'Alexander Wolf'. A singular classic, The Spectre of Alexander Wolf is a psychological thriller and existential inquiry into guilt and redemption, coincidence and fate, love and death.

--------------------------
My rating system:
5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Good/Fine; 2 = Meh; 1 = Don't bother

Most Recent 2014 Books Read:

61. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (5 stars).

62. The Debba by Avner Mandelman (4 stars). Around the World – Middle East (Israel).

63. Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon (4 stars).

64. The Translation of Dr Apelles: A Love Story by David Treuer (3.5 stars). Around the World – North America (United States).

65. Three Scenarios in Which Hana Sasaki Grows a Tail by Kelly Luce (4 stars). Around the World – Asia (Japan).

66. Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto by Gianni Rodari (3.5 stars). Around the World – Europe (Italy).

67. The Castle in Transylvania by Jules Verne (3 stars).

68. Galore by Michael Crummey (4 stars). Around the World – North America (Canada -- Newfoundland).

69. Ubik by Philip K. Dick (4 stars).

Ewwww! :grouphug:  What a mess to have to deal with!

Can't think of any books off the top of my head. Your post makes me think more of the movie I Love You to Death. :lol:

Why does a book I've wanted to read all year have to show up today when I'm supposed to be getting garb made for Saturday?  :scared:

:toetap05:  You know very well that you always have to share titles, Rosie. How can you post, "a book I've wanted to read all year" & not tell us what it is??? :ohmy:

Mom-ninja--

I liked your post because the last paragraph cracked me up,  That said, there is nothing to like about German cockroaches.  Ugh.  You have my deepest sympathy.

:toetap05:  You know very well that you always have to share titles, Rosie. How can you post, "a book I've wanted to read all year" & not tell us what it is??? :ohmy:

I was going to share when I'd finished, or at least started reading it, but it's "Islam Dreaming: Indigenous Muslims in Australia."

That's gone straight to the top of your wish list, hasn't it? :lol:

For all of you with the tapeworms and roaches and such...

This is what is going on in my neck of the woods and I keep having to explain why I don't want to infect myself with hookworms...

.http://autoimmunetherapies.com/candidate_diseases_for_helminthic_therapy_or_worm_therapy/allergies_helminthic_therapy.html

For all of you with the tapeworms and roaches and such...

This is what is going on in my neck of the woods and I keep having to explain why I don't want to infect myself with hookworms...

.http://autoimmunetherapies.com/candidate_diseases_for_helminthic_therapy_or_worm_therapy/allergies_helminthic_therapy.html

:blink:

As we say in the South, "Isn't that nice?!"

Mom ninja, not much to say on the subject of German Roaches beyond :grouphug: I suspect you already know they are the most common kind in the US (yep, google told me that) and you need to have a long talk with your dh regarding sealed containers.