Menu

s/o Playmobil - what age did your kids start playing with it?

StaceyinLA

Our almost three year old LOVES his siblings Playmobil toys.  We're getting him his own set this Christmas and I think he's going to freak out.  For the really little kids, there are a lot of fussy little pieces that can be choking concerns or cause frustration because of little fingers.  But overall, it spans a fairly wide age range.

I gave my DS his first Playmobil at 4, several dinosaur sets. He had close to zero interest in them and I sold them after a year or so. Then he received a Playmobil dragon's dungeon with some knights for his 5th birthday and loved them! He played with Playmobil with his friends between around 5 and 7.

My DD received a Playmobil play park at 3, again close to no interest. Then at 4 she received lots of forest animals for her birthday and then royal figures, furniture and accessories for Christmas the same year. This was all a hit and continues to be, she is 6 now and her interest in Playmobil is increasing if anything, so I hope she will get many more years out of it. (My niece enjoyed Playmobil between 4 and 10.)

I'm not sure, though, if my children's lack of interest in the Playmobil they received at 3 and 4 respectively was due to their age or to lack of interest in the themes I had chosen.

My kids, me and my cousins start around a year old with the playmobil figures. None of us tend to put things in our mouth. My parents and aunts would keep the small accessories for the figures for when we were older.

My kids like the animals small sets as starter sets because they can buy their favorite animal. We skip the Playmobil 1-2-3 sets for 1-3 years old and just bought the normal one.

Ds started at the Christmas he was 3.5. We took a "field trip" to a local store that had sets out to play with and on display. He just loved the pirates things :) I think he received sets for gifts until he was ten or so, but he still played with Playmobil in his early teens (see: younger siblings).

Dd19 started at 3 with the Victorian doll house (the two level one---we later bought the extra level). My mom liked buying a room at a time :D

Dd14 never had her own sets but played with all the others as soon as she had enough dexterity (she never put toys in her mouth). She finally stopped playing with the dollhouse a year or so ago.

Gosh, we used to have these elaborate "set ups" of Playmobil throughout the house! I miss that.

Now all the Playmobil sets are in the attic waiting for future young visitors :)

I didn't buy any for my olders.

I bought dudeling a nativity set just before he turned four.  I kept back the very smallest pieces.  He loved it.  we still get it out every Christmas.  and have some of the extra animals, and fences.

I think that was also the Christmas I bought him noah's ark.  (discontinued, I found it on my local craigslist.)   Christmas morning, he disappeared.  then I heard water running.  he took it into the tub.    I added many pairs of animals the next year.

Playmobil is also attractive to older kids. My kids discovered the sets when ds was 10 and dd was 9. They played with them for a couple of years at least. Ds loved to set up all the sets together into one big interactive set, like a city. Of course, he has always done the same thing with his Lego sets.

Awesome! I'm thinking a horse set for dgd (2yo) and just keeping out small pieces. Because she has a 3 1/2 yo brother, she has played with slightly "older" toys for her age for a while.

I just recieved a BF email from the Just Kids Store advertising 25% off Playmobile. Not sure if that is the best price going, but thought I would pass it along. They have a really cute folding Take and Go horse stable:

http://www.justkidsstore.com/brand/playmobil/3

Of course, you have a million tiny pieces that are too small for little kids. 

That being said, I had several pieces I had bought for DS1 and DS2 that they had NO interest in--and DS3, at about 3 years old, discovered it and LOVED it.  So now we are accumulating much more.

when he was 3, I bought him some of those cute Playmobil 1-2-3 figures for younger kids; nothing doing.  He wanted the cool real ones that move better and have neater accessories--

So in our experience, kids get interested at age 3, but you might need to hide some of the tinier pieces.

B--

I just recieved a BF email from the Just Kids Store advertising 25% off Playmobile. Not sure if that is the best price going, but thought I would pass it along. They have a really cute folding Take and Go horse stable:

http://www.justkidsstore.com/brand/playmobil/3

I JUST bought that one new on eBay for $36 with free shipping! I was afraid to look at the price in case I paid way more for it, but it was $39.99 on just kids and I'm not sure what shipping would've been. I am happy I got a relatively good deal!

I particularly liked that one because her brother has a lot of Take 'n Play Thomas sets and I was thinking she'd like having something portable of her own. I'm just gonna pull out small pieces and let her have the rest. If they really enjoy playing with it, I'll be set for next year because there are TONS of sets I'd love to buy them. I am so burnt out on buying Thomas stuff for dgs' wooden set (I mean he loves it and plays with it ALL the time, but it's just massive), so I'm excited at the prospect of them having something else they can both enjoy.

I have shopped for Playmobil a LOT over the past 3 years, and it seems like you can usually get the best price at Playmobil website--if you sign up on their mailing list, they often have 25% sales, frees shipping over $50, etc.  As well as 50% off discontinued items.  Every time DS3 asks for a particular item (it was a pirate ship for his bday), I will spend hours looking around online--and always end up buying it on the Playmobil site.  Unless i just need one small thing and can't get free shipping--then sometimes Amazon is comparable.

Our "Tuesday Morning" store randomly gets in old Playmobil for 50% off--I bought a take-along house and a take-along barn for $20 marked down from $40.  But that's unpredictable, and you just have to take what's there--  I got a Roman arena and a castle there once too--but sadly, that was back when the older boys didn't like Playmobil, and i ended up getting rid of them--DS3 would LOVE to have those now.  They were like $15 or $20 each--

B--

My kids were never very interested in it.  They had several sets (boy had knight castle and pirate island, girl had large princess castle and fantasy castle, with lots of extra accessories), and all were nearly complete (because they were hardly played with).  We just gave them to "the cousins", two boys and a girl, ages 5, 6, and 7.  They LOVE them!  Played with them for hours the first day, and every day since.  It just depends on the kids, I guess.