Menu

KTGROK NEEDS OUR VOTES -- This is BIG! She's a Top 10 Finalist in the Harlequin Writing Contest! VOTE DAILY!

Catwoman

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No call. I think they already made it so thinking it isn't me :(

Oh well. Now, to wait and see if they offer me a contract anyway. I heard they will start calling people about that around the 20th

Well, whatever the outcome with this particular publisher, I hope this opens many, many doors for you and your stories!

Oh well. Now, to wait and see if they offer me a contract anyway. I heard they will start calling people about that around the 20th

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Well, win or lose, it doesn't matter to us -- we are just as proud of you either way.

Writing any book is a huge accomplishment. Writing a book that is a top ten finalist in a major publishing contest is nothing short of amazingly impressive!

I hope they offer you a contract, but if they don't, another publisher will!

Awww.

I can understand your sadness.

I still think things are going to work out really well for you.

:grouphug:

Well, win or lose, it doesn't matter to us -- we are just as proud of you either way.

Writing any book is a huge accomplishment. Writing a book that is a top ten finalist in a major publishing contest is nothing short of amazingly impressive!

I hope they offer you a contract, but if they don't, another publisher will!

Ita!

Thanks all! I have some ice cream to drown my sorrows with. And like I've said, over a dozen authors ended up contracted from the contest last year, so odds are good I will get a call eventually. They have 3 months and then if I haven't heard from them my agent will shop it around. 

Oh, Katie. I just saw the update on the SYTYCW site. :crying:

That story did not interest me AT ALL. I read the first couple chapters and went: Meh.

I'm hoping you're one of the "flagged" manuscripts.

Love you, girl!

I felt the same way about the winning entry. Katie's book drew me in from the first page, but I couldn't get at all interested in the winning entry -- and I really did try to give it a fair shot.

Katie, I'm so sorry you didn't win, but the public voting didn't actually choose the best book; it chose the person who was best able to self-promote and get people to vote for her book. And that is a huge difference.

I truly believe they will offer you a contract. You are such a talented writer!

I felt the same way about the winning entry. Katie's book drew me in from the first page, but I couldn't get at all interested in the winning entry -- and I really did try to give it a fair shot.

Katie, I'm so sorry you didn't win, but the public voting didn't actually choose the best book; it chose the person who was best able to self-promote and get people to vote for her book. And that is a huge difference.

I truly believe they will offer you a contract. You are such a talented writer!

And Katie was in a different category. The winner's category was more fantasy...

"These stories are pure romantic fantasy with glitzy, glamorous, international settings to upstage even the swankiest of red-carpet premieres!"

Whereas Katie's was more realistic, down-to-earth. I think it is good that they are different, bc Katie's will apply to different readers.

And Katie was in a different category. The winner's category was more fantasy...

"These stories are pure romantic fantasy with glitzy, glamorous, international settings to upstage even the swankiest of red-carpet premieres!"

Whereas Katie's was more realistic, down-to-earth. I think it is good that they are different, bc Katie's will apply to different readers.

:iagree:

That's an excellent point.

I think Katie's book will appeal to more readers than the book that won, because her characters and situations are more relatable and realistic.

Thank you All!  Yes, Presents is a LOT different from Special Edition. Presents is actually the best selling line, and she did a great job of doing what they want for that line. It's such a subjective thing, and room for all sorts of stories, thankfully. 

I am defiintely hoping to hear from them, maybe next week sometime, I think they said earlier in the contest they will be reaching out to people after the 20th. But, no matter what, i am SO grateful to all of you, for your support and encouragement! I promise to keep you up to date. 

Oh, and I wrote a quick blog post about the end of the contest, and plans for the future. I have to say, I may have read that comment by the senior editor a million times. I will have it memorized shortly.

http://www.katiemeyer.net/2014/11/moving-forward.html

Thanks, I sure hope so! If Harlequin doesn't want it, we may go to digital first/only places just because that's really the only option with a book that short. Avon has their Impulse line, which is digitally sold, but at the length mine is would also be available in print from online merchants like Amazon,  and Entangled's Bliss line would be a good fit as well. I'd rather sell to Harlequin, if only to see my book on the shelf of the Walmart down the street, but Avon Impulse would be my second choice. I'd prefer not to self publish at this point because I think I could learn a lot from a good editor, and I don't have money to shell out for my own editing, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

So...after waiting patiently, I decided to contact the editorial assistant for Special Edition, the line I submitted to. She checked with the rest of the editorial team, and today I got an email from the Senior Editor for Special Edition. She said I came in a second in the contest! And that is definitely all you guys!!!

Also, she said she admires my talent, loved my story, and asked me to resubmit it to her, as is so she can consider it for the line. So...we shall see!

Either way, it was good news. 

Second place in a national (international?) contest held by a huge publisher is a major deal! We are so proud of you. And the fact you were asked to resubmit, golden!

Thanks! And yes, international. USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, I believe. 

So...after waiting patiently, I decided to contact the editorial assistant for Special Edition, the line I submitted to. She checked with the rest of the editorial team, and today I got an email from the Senior Editor for Special Edition. She said I came in a second in the contest! And that is definitely all you guys!!!

Also, she said she admires my talent, loved my story, and asked me to resubmit it to her, as is so she can consider it for the line. So...we shall see!

Either way, it was good news. 

Fantastic!  :hurray: