Menu

Lego Advent Calendar

Night Elf

Not exactly. It's all in a big cardboard box and you pop each one open and take the little pieces out of the baggie and assemble and toss the baggie. You could, I guess, put the pieces back in each little door and shut the door, but it would be awkward, honestly. In ours, the doors didn't do quite right so reclosing them would look sort of cheapie.

The one Lego Advent calendar I bought didn't have little boxes.  Each day's model was in a plastic bag, with a picture of the assembled model on the front.  There were no instructions for the daily model, but there were instructions for how to combine four or six models together into a different model.  I don't remember how the cardboard box was set up... there must have been little doors to open, with the bags inside the doors?  I cut the bags open carefully and we still have them, and all the Legos, though most of the Legos have been mixed into the general pool.

This was years ago, though, so the calendars may be different now.

Even though my kids are teens, I am tempted to buy the new Playmobil calendar... or maybe one of the Lego calendars. :)

Yeah, there are these cheapie plastic areas on the back of the cardboard that hold the baggies. The more I think about it, the more I think it wouldn't work very well to reuse it. You'd have to rebag everything or it would fall out since there's no latch on the cardboard doors to the boxes.

We have actually reused ours for the past 3 years.  It isn't easy, but we have made it work.  The first year we took great care in opening the doors exactly so that they can sort of tuck closed again when we put it away.  We keep all the bags that each set is in and just put them back in at the end of the season.  Some of the bags are starting to rip, so we may need to do something different this year.

I have also thought about getting a reusable advent calendar, either wood or with felt pockets and putting the sets (with the doors now removed since that is where the building instructions are) randomly in that.

It is a bit of a pain, but it can be done.

We bought a Lego one last year…and my kids took it to their Grandpa's hospital room because he was very ill.  Every time they visited, they each opened up a door (even though it didn't line up)…and he got such joy from watching them put them together.  Then they decorated his hospital room with all of the figures.  It would have been hard to reuse.

I had never looked at the Playmobil ones, but they look awesome. I could even use them for Ramadan, as they're not all Christmas-themed. :)  (Of course, DD would want the Lego Friends one anyways…because of the Lego kitty.)

We bought a Lego one last year…and my kids took it to their Grandpa's hospital room because he was very ill.  Every time they visited, they each opened up a door (even though it didn't line up)…and he got such joy from watching them put them together.  Then they decorated his hospital room with all of the figures.  It would have been hard to reuse.

I had never looked at the Playmobil ones, but they look awesome. I could even use them for Ramadan, as they're not all Christmas-themed. :)  (Of course, DD would want the Lego Friends one anyways…because of the Lego kitty.)

Oh, that story really made me smile.  What a great thing to do when visiting Grandpa in the hospital, and to decorate his room.  Excellent idea!  How cool.

We ordered a Lego calendar for DS this year, but normally we do Playmobil.  We haven't had a Lego calendar in 4 or 5 years, so it will be fun.  DD is getting a Schleich farm calendar, so it will be our first year without any Playmobil.

But we'll still pull out the Playmobil holiday stuff.  It's fun to set up.  I prefer it over Lego, for some reason.  

Even though my kids are teens, I am tempted to buy the new Playmobil calendar... or maybe one of the Lego calendars. :)

I am buying my teen a Lego advent calendar this year.  He's always jealous that his younger brother gets one for his November birthday, so this year I'm giving them both Lego Advent Calendars on December 1, no birthday or special occasion strings attached.  Just because. :-)  I figure, it won't be long before the teenager is no long interested.  Sometimes I am so sad now about all the cool little guy toys that mine are too old for and that I wish I had splurged on when they were little. 

We got our lego advent at Barnes and noble a couple weeks ago. It was only $23, I believe. I'm. It even sure if they applied my teacher discount, but the price tag was marked $30 on the box and I swear the receipt only said $23.

Retail for Friends and City is $29.99

Star Wars Retail is $39.99