Menu

Can I give my toddler Miralax??

Moxie

Sorry, this is gross.

For about a week, she has been crying and saying "bad poopies".  She has been pooping a bit and it is super stinky.  I think she may be constipated??  Can we just give her Miralax or do we need a doctor to sign off on it??  Any other ideas??  We've cut out dairy, upped her water and tried to add more fiber.

Guest submarines

I wouldn't give a toddler miralax unless it was my absolutely last resort, and maybe not even then.

What about prune juice popcicles first?

Yes, absolutely, many many many young children take Miralax to relieve constipation. You can ask your pediatrician if you're not sure, but a small dose Miralax is the standard suggestion for occasional constipation in young children.  The ingredients are not absorbed, they go straight through.

If you are asking if it is safe, then yes. Miralax is safe for little kids.

If you are asking if you should give it to your child without checking with a doctor first, then I wouldn't do it. There are many reasons for little kids to have trouble with pooping. I would want a doctor to first determine that constipation was the problem and then give miralax as a solution.

My older ds needed Miralax from the time he was a toddler. It helped him so much. We were doing weekly enemas but Miralax relieved his constipation. Our pediatrician recommended it. Ds has cerebral palsy and he wasn't able to eat enough fruits and vegetables to regulate his bowel movements. Now ds has no problems and we haven't had to use Miralax in a very long time!

Elise in NC

I think it is safe, but I also would ask the Dr., or at least call in and ask a nurse.  I think the dosage can be tricky.

By the way, there are individually wrapped prunes that are really fun to open and eat for toddlers.  They were a big hit at our house, and I happily payed just a bit more for the individually wrapped ones just because kids would eat them.

Also, my toddlers actually really liked the Honey and Oats Fiber One.  Just so, when she does become unconstipated, these things might help prevent future problems.

I believe it's perfectly safe but I would try other things first.

My kids like prunes and raisins and you could try apple, grape, and prune juice.

Eta - my sister got this recipe from a group that she follows for people with bone cancer (her mil).

It's equal parts - orange, prune, and apple juice. She said it works really well.

Miralax worked for my son after we tried EVERYTHING else, even laxatives and enemas.  My son was in so much pain and our pediatrician talked about bringing him in for the manual removal of the impacted feces.  He told us to try Miralax as a last resort and it worked!  I think my son was around 3 years old at the time.  The doctor gave us the exact dosage to use.  We had to continue to use it for a few weeks after that just to heal everything.

That sounds more like the poop burns? Or is it hard for her to go? If she isn't clearly constipated (she is pooping somewhat) and you can afford it, make an appointment. Too many things could make pooping hurt. 

If she can't poop at all, it may be easier to give her a suppository. You don't actually have to get up in there...just at the entrance. It's not as scary as it sounds. It's not an enema. The glycerin helps the poop come out if it's a bit impacted in there. When it's impacted Miralax can take a large dose to work, and it's really rough on the GI system. After you loose the impacted stools, small doses of Miralax, extra water and fiber may have a better chance of keeping her regular, but a suppository can make it a bit easier getting started. 

Yes, my friend gives it to her toddler in her sippy cup. (dr recommended) Without it, she is totally constipated.

I would be reluctant to use it without medical advise unless it is a new issue and you think it is one one off. That said I have occasionally given my younger the lactolose my oldest wouldn't take but only about a quarter of the dose and he was 3 or 4.

Guest submarines

I know several people whose children have developed dependency and weaning them off miralax wasn't exactly easy. Just something to keep in mind. Miralax in a sippy cup because a toddler can't go without it is actually more of a problem that one might think.