Menu

Homeschooled kids can be...surprising

So my DS burst into tears this morning and cried, really cried, for about 10 minutes...

...because I told him it was Friday and he didn't have handwriting today. :huh:

Then he layed his little blond head on the table and moaned, "I just wanna do my Happy Handwriting!"

Le sigh :laugh:

Aren't little boys supposed to loathe handwriting? Seriously, this child would do the whole book at once if I would let him.

I do not understand, why can't he do extra/more handwriting each day? It is a subject that he likes....Why are you rationing it. He will not one day run out of things to write, will he?

Handwriting is literally a rote skill...The only point of a writing practice is you are training the muscles and hand/eye coordination it will take to write fluently and without thought. The sooner he has that coordination and muscle memory, the better, right?

Finishing the writing curriculum "early" isn't a problem either, you can just copy worthwhile passages using the handwriting skills. Write papers, math works, etc...

ETA: Posted too soon.

Because I don't want to burn him out. Aren't we supposed to 'stop while they're still having fun'?

I've never experienced a kid crying because they couldn't do something in school, that's all.

Crying is not having fun. There's a happy medium between putting it away while he still likes it and depriving him of something wholesome to the point of his crying!

You could let him do a few more lessons each day or keep going for a longer amount of time; or if he'd like you can set him up with a boxful of writing materials -- pretty papers and pens, sayings and words that you've clipped or written out for him to copy -- and let him write in his spare time using his Writing Box instead of his school curriculum.

Does he have access to arts and crafts materials, things he can get on his own to play with?

Because I don't want to burn him out. Aren't we supposed to 'stop while they're still having fun'?

I've never experienced a kid crying because they couldn't do something in school, that's all.

I am not sure why you are being criticized about not letting your ds do his handwriting curriculum.   If you as the parent want to do the handwriting curriculum at a certain pace, that is up to you to decide.     

I think the real point of your post is that it's always sweet when a dc LOVES doing "school" work  :)  !!!

I don't understand the criticism either. As the OP said, her ds's reaction caught her by surprise. She didn't get up this morning and decide to deprive him of his favorite subject. We all make plans about our school days and how to cover the myriad of subjects we want our kids to learn. Sometimes things just don't go as planned.

OP, congrats on finding such a good curriculum match for your son!

That is one of the fun things about homeschooling. Kids have a fabulous way of breaking us of our preconceptions, don't they?

My boys love to write. Little boys are not supposed to love writing.

All kids love read aloud stories and one should make copious amounts of time available to read to them. Not my boys. Go figure.

Not all little boys loathe handwriting. Mine wanted to learn how to write before they could read.

My DS was the same way. I started to teach him phonics when he kept writing simple words down on his own and asking me to correct them. He loves handwriting and has a nice penmanship. He had flown through the most Kumon and HWOT workbooks. Now his favorite school book is WWE1. At preschool, he writes me a letter when other kids draws or paints on the paper. So I understand OP's feeling. It was a good surprise to me, too. :)

What a little sweetie he is! 

And I do understand.  Sometimes things are going fine and I think we are on track, and then DD gets so emotional all at once, and I sit there thinking, "What just happened?" 

I'm googling "Happy Handwriting", too.

OP, I apologize if my 1st comment wasn't helpful to you. I only meant it as a "I'm  just wondering..." and I tried to explain my question so that it would not be offensive. Instead it came across to some as an attack.

It is great when you find what works for you.

My five year old asks to do his handwriting practice, enthusiastically works on it for a minute or two, then contentedly puts it away again. :tongue_smilie:

My oldest, at three, would make letters out of anything. He'd yell, "Look Mom! A letter D!" and run around the living room carpet in the shape of a D. He did his first illustrated rewrite at four—he wasn't even reading until five but he could use the phonics he did know to encode well enough to make sense. He asked to learn cursive at five, after he was reading well.

And you know what? That child still disliked putting pencil to paper in school. He still happily wrote on his own time. If it was his idea: :thumbup1: — if it was Mom's idea: :thumbdown:.

My son is also doing Happy Handwriting and loving it as well!  My children have also enjoyed the Cheerful Cursive, and get excited with each new 'person' they get introduced to.  I have allowed my son two days on occassion, but have also wanted to take our time through the book as each day they review all of the previous letters.  I hope he continues to enjoy handwriting. :laugh:   We all need days when we know we picked the right curriculum for our kids, as it is encouraging to know we are getting some things right. :hurray: