Menu

Help me with my crazy kittens

clarkacademy

I had two cats. I had them for so many years it truly seemed they were a concrete fix in my life. Sadly I lost both within a few months early this year. I swore no more, no way. Fast forward to June when this adorable blue eyed kitten wandered up to me in the nail salon parking lot. My daughter with her big green eyes and little voice mommy we can't leave him he will get killed on the road. So he came home with us and stole my heart. HE IS CRAZY, did I mention that??? He had to sleep up by your face, well my face. Several times a night waking me up just to be pet on. OK OK I dealt with it and slowly it started to fade except for the sleeping practically on my face! Fast forward to a few weeks ago giant rain storms here! The bank parking lot flooded and driving through I saw something amazing. It was a wild white rat by the sewer drain. How cool never seen a wild white rat, needless to say its head popped up and it was not a rat! Big blue eyes again and very tiny. So yeah I had to bring her home. My first kitten was none to happy at first but slowly got used to the littler one and now they are the best of friends.

The best of partners in crime that is!!! OMGOSH they run through the house at night leaving terror behind them. They chew up toilet paper, they refuse to eat from their bowl unless it is full and they constantly play in the water bowl. They knock it over a lot. They run through the house all night jumping on everything and everyone. If you shut your doors they sit there and cry. The little one always getting stuck somewhere in something. I have one plant because I suck with plants, I cannot tell you how many times I have moved it and replanted it. What do I do? Will this ever end?? According to the animal people the one I found first is a Siamese but most likely was tossed out from a breeder because his seal markings are not good?? The little girl low and behold is Siamese something so that was kinda cool they are both basically white. And of course crazy. When the boy came I named him Mayhem because he was nuts with his jumping on everything so it only seemed fitting to call her Mischief. They can also open cabinet doors. The games are spilled everywhere. They also knock over any paper they come across as well. Does this stop?? Will they ever be nice calm cats like my other two?

They also attack kids toys, lego men, little ponies little pet shops etc. They are destroying my house, keeping everyone up at night. As crazy as it is they have stolen all our hearts but they are driving us nuts!!!!!

Good thing they are cute, isn't it?

Suggestions--

Child locks on cabinets

heavy waterbowl they can't knock over

close doors to bathroom and any rooms you don't want them in

you determine food times--they will eat when hungry

spray bottle to discipline

realize that Siamese are "talky"

#1--patience while retraining

LOL--most of it is your own retraining!

Enjoy them as much as you can. :laugh:

And bless you for rescuing them!

Kittens are nuts, they are like little, furry toddlers.  In our house any new kitten is confined to a single room when not under supervision for the first few months then confined to that room for any long periods alone and overnight for another few months.  They don't get free run of the house all the time until 6 months old minimum (usually closer to a year).  Pick a bathroom or somewhere that you can contain them and kitten proof it.  They will make a racket for the first few nights (or week) but they will eventually realize it is what it is and get used to being in their room (just like crate training a puppy).

Ha! I could have written parts of this post. I already have an elderly dog, a six year old cat, a one year old cat and now two kittens that showed up on my porch last week.

They are cute as can be, but it is just like having toddlers. Twin toddlers. They are a roaming duo of destruction and chaos. I know it is just the kitten stage, and it is amplified because there are two of them. Fortunately the cute things balance it out.

We have two kittens. One is a year old but he's just as bad as the baby. Their names are Race and Chase.

And I have a real live human baby also, who I have to outfit in legwarmers and leather soled shoes if I want to sit him on the living room floor, since the kitten will attack his feet. My toddler is terrible to the cats since they are always jumping on him (they literally lie in wait and ambush him). He responds by picking them up by the fur and depositing them in another room angrily, "NO WACE. NO TACE."

But they are also totally adorable and love each other, and I know they will calm down... eventually.

We are just waiting it out.

I feel you!

Kittens are nuts, they are like little, furry toddlers.  In our house any new kitten is confined to a single room when not under supervision for the first few months then confined to that room for any long periods alone and overnight for another few months.  They don't get free run of the house all the time until 6 months old minimum (usually closer to a year).  Pick a bathroom or somewhere that you can contain them and kitten proof it.  They will make a racket for the first few nights (or week) but they will eventually realize it is what it is and get used to being in their room (just like crate training a puppy).

:iagree: :iagree:

If they try to scratch or bang on the door to get out, make some loops of packing tape and stick it on the door.

Remember, cats are nocturnal. Many cats will eventually adjust to human schedules if they live with people, but they have to grow up a bit first.

As for not eating from their bowl unless it is full, well, cats are very nearsighted. It's possible they don't realize there's food in there unless it's right at the top. Or maybe they don't like putting their heads all the way into the bowl, because they feel vulnerable that way. If you give dry food, it might be a good idea to get one of those automatic-refilling bowls, unless the vet has suggested that you restrict their diet.

Siamese cats are often fascinated by water. That's a breed-typical behavior. You may need to get a water bowl that's heavily weighted so they can't tip it over easily.

And don't forget, they're still babies. They have high energy, high curiosity, high impulsivity, just like humans at that developmental stage.You probably do have to confine them, at least at night, for their own safety.

I have six month old kittens that we've had for four months. They are nutty, but they bring so much fun to our house, too! 

We keep them confined in a bathroom at night with food, water and a litter box. They have their nighttime routine down, now - we rattle their treat bag and they run into the room for their treats, then we go out and close the door behind us while they are eating their treats. Sometimes we hear them playing for a little while, no more than 30 minutes, then all is quiet. They are quiet for about six hours total, they wake when my husband gets up to run. He doesn't let them out until he gets back from his run and goes in to shower, though. 

Some night time tips: 

don't leave any toys out

keep toilet lids closed

give them a kitty bed to sleep in

access to food, water & litter box is necessary

Other tips: 

Heavy weight food and water bowls helped stop mealtime mischief, although one of them still takes a piece of food out and plays with it. 

Follow the vets recommendation on how much food they need each day. I put out a 1/2 cup for the two of them in the morning and then again in the late evening, around 9pm or so (hungry kittens don't sleep well).

Baby locks on bottom cabinets

give them things they can play with - one of mine loves post it notes, so I make sure there are two or so on the floor; they both like pipe cleaners and binder clips, long pieces of fabric scraps that they drag around the house; I have some cat toy fish they like that make crinkly sounds and some little plastic rings they like 

DON'T give them yarn, it can get stuck on their tongue and it can be fatal if they swallow, it basically pulls their intestine inside out as it travels through their system

Play with them a lot in the evening so that they tire out - laser pointers are wonderful, one of mine likes "playing" the piano on the iPad, so we do that occasionally, too. 

Yes, I have just described life with a toddler, haven't I? 

I can say that mine are already noticeably calmer than they were four months ago, so I do think yours will settle down over time. 

Enjoy the toddler stage, though! It goes by much quicker than with kids! 

My terror kitties are now 3 and 2.  DD used to play the "darth vader theme music" when they were littles and we let them out of the room.  I feel your pain, as I had two cats previously who were typical, quiet, laid-back cats.  I went around asking people "Is this normal??"  :)

The good news is that yes, it did calm down some.  But they still have their moments!  DH usually plays with them alot right before bed to tire them out and then feeds them.  If we don't do that, they return to racing around the house at night.  They now have their "sleepy times" when they are the typical laid-back cats.  Then their racing around the house attacking everything times.  They also start destroying things when they think they are being ignored.  One's favorite is to start knocking things off the counter one at a time.  The other enjoys unrolling all the paper towels. 

Embrace it! :)

My oldest showed up at my house a few weeks ago with a girl I had never met and the kitten below. We've named him Malum Amicus (latin for mischievous friend).

I love this animal more than any I remember loving. Honestly, I talk baby talk to him. I cuddle him. I melt when he purrs.

But don't let the cuteness below fool you. If I believed in the devil, I'd swear he had some in him!

post-217-0-72799400-1412963633_thumb.jpg

post-217-0-72799400-1412963633_thumb.jpg

They are truly adorable! I love the pic of one in the drawer.  :lol:  Those two babies look made for each other.

THEY DO!!!!!!!!! You can tell they are different ages found them in different parts of the town months apart. The way they look though is striking. I just got in and they were both waiting on top of the washer which is by the door and they both pounced on me LOL