Menu

Quilters, I need help

Amethyst

I have only made one quilt. I finished it in April or so. I really want to get started on another one, but I'm having a hard time finding just the right one. I want to make a quilt for my daughter's bed. It's a twin size bed. Is there a site or a book that specializes just in twin sized patterns. When I look at magazines, there might be just one that is the correct size (and so far haven't liked the patterns I'm seeing). Can someone point me in the right direction? TIA

Standard quilt sizes - http://www.quiltmaker.com/articles/Suggested_Bed_Measurements_for_Standard_Bed_Sizes

Generally speaking, you could make just about any quilt/block pattern into a twin size quilt - it's just a matter of working the math out. Start with the finished block size and then by subtracting out the 1/4" seam allowances you can determine finished quilt size. You can also use the same principle to size up a smaller pattern.

Most patterns will show the sizes they've calculated yardage/pieces for. It's typically on the back of the pattern. The Moda Bakeshop also has a number of free patterns as does Missouri Star Quilt Company. Missouri Star Quilt Company also has a video series that goes through how to make different quilts and focuses on quick and easy type quilt patterns.

Thank you for these suggestions so far. It seems like the magazines I have bought only have one size. Same thing with books. I know that I can do the math myself and figure it out, but I'm still such a newbie that I prefer one that was already calculated for me and I knew would like right on a twin. Something that is designed as a square could be changed to fit a twin, but it would change the feel of it, kwim? If I buy these patterns online (which I've never considered before), it looks like they come in all sizes, so maybe that's what I need to do?

:0) ahh...yes...I suppose I understand the idea of following a pattern in theory, though in practice I can't say as I've ever followed one as written. In your case, I'd drop by your LQS (local quilt store) and avail yourself of their help. Not only can they steer you in the right direction, but they are often extremely helpful when it comes to selecting fabrics that go well together.

Turning 20 is my favorite pattern.  It was my first quilt that I made from start to finish. 

Also, you could just take squares and quilt them together.  I've done several quilts that were made of 5" quilt squares.  Sew your 5 in squares into strips however wide you want them to be, then sew the strips together.  Make enough strips to make the quilt as long as you want it.  You can then add a simple boarder whatever size you like.  I like 1,2,3 boarders: first boarder closest to quilt is 1 inch wide, 2nd boarder is 2 inches, 3rd is 3 inches.

I also "stitch in the ditch" to quilt the quilt.  It is easy, fairly quick, and looks nice. 

Another vote for Yellow Brick Road - it was my first quilt! I find that the quality of quilt patterns varies widely. I find that the patterns that I buy individually have more complete instructions and more sizing options than do magazine patterns or Moda Bakeshop patterns, but even that isn't always true. Your local quilt shop will be quite helpful to you - they usually also let you open a pattern and read it through before you purchase. They will have samples hanging of their favorites as well. The folks at my local shops are a wealth of information and the quilting community is very generous with help overall. 

Enjoy - and be sure to post a picture when you've finished it! 

Or go to a quilt fabric store. They have patterns with directions. Usually several sizes are given. And there is someone there in the know. 

I'm quoting because I am out of likes for the night. The quilt thread sent me over the edge! What a great thing to run out of likes on! 

Most of the pattern books I got in my quilting days had patterns with specifications for lap, crib, twin, full, queen and king sizes, or some subset thereof.  The thing is, some of the patterns LOOK better within a certain size range...too many or too few squares on some sizes. 

I loved the Quiltmaker's Gift patterns.  They were so easy to follow.  I made about 5 quilts out of that book, and they all turned out really well.  As far as the pattern goes, at least.  

I'm another who likes Yellow Brick Road for beginners. Atkinson designs are very well written and they WORK. I can't begin to tell you how many patterns I have bought that do NOT work right. Every quilt store seems to put out their own designs these days and some are just poorly written.  But I've made four Lucky Stars and several Yellow Brick Road quilts- Atkinson rocks. 

Moda Bake Shop has lots of cute and free patterns using pre-cuts. I ran a search on their patterns for "twin size" here for a start:

http://www.modabakeshop.com/?s=%22Twin+size%22&submit=Search

Good luck! And as another poster said, you can adapt any pattern to make it twin size, it's just a matter of math. I've sucessfully changed the sizes of many patterns.

Ugh, I don't have a "local quilt store". There is one 30 minutes away or so. I should take a drive out there soon. Thanks for all the suggestion!

Thirty minutes is local in the quilting world! I routinely travel that far to my local shop. The help you will receive is worth the drive! 

I've found that thangles are a very quick easy way to crank out a quilt.  http://www.thangles.com/howtheywork.html

You can look through the website and see just how many different quilt blocks can be made with them.

(OOPS! I left out the link to the packages!)

Here are pack options to buy a pattern and thangles together. http://www.thangles.com/projectpacks.html

Try your library. We have a bunch of quilting books to choose from. Most quilt books have different size options for the patterns in them. Just get several and browse over a cup of tea.  BUt I will add my vote to Yellow Brick Road. It's easy, particularly since it's all squares and rectangles-no points to cut off :001_smile:

Thank you, all, for your suggestions and links. I will be checking into all these resources. I used a book by Fons and Porter for my first project and I've visited their website before so that is very helpful. I've checked out several books from the library on quilting, but none of them had exactly the pattern that  said, "Make me! Make me!" But I didn't check out ALL the books from the library, so I'm going to be heading there in a few minutes to check out more. I'll also be considering some of these patterns on these links you all have been kind enough to share. And I really should plan a trip to the quilt store soon. Thanks!

Thirty minutes is local in the quilting world! I routinely travel that far to my local shop. The help you will receive is worth the drive!

Pretty much. I have a couple of quilt stores much closer, but being a modern quilt gal, it's a bit tough to find fabric I like there. I'll drive more than an hour one way to shop at a place that has fabric/patterns I like.