Menu

2015 College acceptances - is this where it goes?

momofkhm

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it counts here, because ds is graduating from a private school, not homeschool....

But he was homeschooled from preK through 7th grade!!  I know it made a huge difference!

Anyway, he got into 3 of 4 schools:

• Baylor Univ - University Scholars program
  • Texas A&M - Honors
  • Univ of Richmond
  • [not: Davidson College]

He's headed to Baylor in the fall.  :)

That's wonderful! You gave him the firm foundation that lead to this! Congrats!

• Like 6

Finally, some news.. of a sort...

Backup university has decided not to recognise Kolbe Academy as an actual school, and has transferred the file to the homeschool division.  When we had talked to admission office before, they were not certain what to do with Kolbe, as it is not recognised by one of the Big Six regional accreditation bodies. So this was a risk we knew about.  So now we have more loops to jump through with a stated deadline of March 1st. Yeah sure...

Backup university has decided not to recognise Kolbe Academy as an actual school, and has transferred the file to the homeschool division.  When we had talked to admission office before, they were not certain what to do with Kolbe, as it is not recognised by one of the Big Six regional accreditation bodies. So this was a risk we knew about.  So now we have more loops to jump through with a stated deadline of March 1st. Yeah sure...

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Bummer! It's too bad they didn't let you know in a more timely manner.   :grouphug:

• Like 2

Have you thought about contacting Seton and seeing if they'd accept what he's done at Kolbe and just finish out the last year with them for an accredited diploma?  It must be incredibly frustrating to get this info now.  Average math SAT score here in the US is 513.  The majority of those students were enrolled in accredited high schools.  See what a difference it makes?   :grouphug:  

I know that your colleges are incredibly affordable there, but there are some here which offer financial aid even to foreign students.  These are some of the top schools and it sounds like your son has the stats for them.  They're all reaches, but you never know.   I just don't understand what they mean by a deadline of March 1 to jump through the hoops as that's almost a year away.   Isn't he a senior?   Is there a chance that his first choice will accept him?   I'm really hoping that a good option becomes available to him.

• Like 2

I just don't understand what they mean by a deadline of March 1 to jump through the hoops as that's almost a year away.

They meant March 1st 2015. Basically it's a form letter that we got and they forgot to change the date.  No biggie. We uploaded everything they required within a couple of hours of receiving the email.

Our colleges are taking their sweet time wrt homeschoolers. But we knew that. There's still hope for both universities. We were told end of May.

As for Seton, or MoDG, at this point in the game, it's too late. Child#1 is a senior now, with only weeks to go.

• Like 6

Oh dear.  I hope it's not too horrid.

Oh dear.  I hope it's not too horrid.

Not too horrid as they're asking for the same hoops as college choice #1. Basically we already had all the required paperwork. For that, I am thankful, because it's 25 pages long! (all books we used in high school, with editors, ISBN, links to website for the table of contents, referral letters, certificates that were earned etc..)

• Like 4

Not too horrid as they're asking for the same hoops as college choice #1. Basically we already had all the required paperwork. For that, I am thankful, because it's 25 pages long! (all books we used in high school, with editors, ISBN, links to website for the table of contents, referral letters, certificates that were earned etc..)

That's good.  How's child 1 coping with the delays?

• Like 1

Wow, that is a lot!  This makes me want to save absolutely everything because I just don't want to get in a bind and not have some needed piece of information and have a door close because we homeschooled.  Thank you for sharing this.  I hope that you get some answers very very soon!  It must be so hard to wait.

• Like 1

Exciting news here! My dd (child number 3), who is only 16, wanted to graduate early and start college. She's been working really hard. She applied to one school - the one I'm attending for my PhD - and GOT ACCEPTED! This college is just about perfect for her and it will be fun to run into her around campus! She didn't apply to any others because we have no money. This way she can live at home and attend college, which is better anyway considering her age (she's not as independent as somebody's child upthread).

I don't want to say the name of the school because this is where we live - sorry. It's a flagship state school.

If I can manage to finish in 4 more years, we could graduate the same weekend!

She wants to major in Germanic studies and learn older Germanic languages. She is planning on grad school also.

I guess applying for one college is pretty common. If she hadn't gotten in, she had been working on a plan B of homeschooling college, I think.

And the twin stuff upthread...my twins are only 9, but that scares me. The complications and expenses of twins never go away, do they?

• Like 28

Exciting news here! My dd (child number 3), who is only 16, wanted to graduate early and start college. She's been working really hard. She applied to one school - the one I'm attending for my PhD - and GOT ACCEPTED! This college is just about perfect for her and it will be fun to run into her around campus! She didn't apply to any others because we have no money. This way she can live at home and attend college, which is better anyway considering her age (she's not as independent as somebody's child upthread).

:party:

This sounds perfect! I love when things work out like this. Congrats!

• Like 1

I don't want to say the name of the school because this is where we live - sorry. It's a flagship state school.

If I can manage to finish in 4 more years, we could graduate the same weekend!

She wants to major in Germanic studies and learn older Germanic languages. She is planning on grad school also.

I guess applying for one college is pretty common. If she hadn't gotten in, she had been working on a plan B of homeschooling college, I think.

And the twin stuff upthread...my twins are only 9, but that scares me. The complications and expenses of twins never go away, do they?

:party:

• 1 month later...

Well, a little surprising- my daughter was accepted into the University of Washington.

She applied as a freshman (she is in a gap year), but they informed her in March that she would be considered a transfer student. They suggested she change her essay response to the one geared toward transfer students.  When she realized she couldn't wait until June to see if she was accepted, she didn't bother updating the application. 

It's still pretty neat.

• Like 13

it does beg the question though, what now?

Should child #1 look for a full time job? Go back into the provincial school system? I've got to plan something! I've been planning for years! LET ME PLAN!

I understand.  Planning is how I reduce my anxiety.  But this is impossible to plan around.  What does the child think?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah!

So where are you in the process now?  Are you still waiting to hear from anyone?  Or is this it?  I've sort of lost track...  This has been such a long process for you.  I'm amazed you've survived!  Is your son excited or ambivalent?  Mine were all less than excited.  Big change, leaving home, scary end of the world as they knew it feeling.

Nan

My dd has finally made her transfer decision!  She applied at 5 private liberal art colleges within the same metro area for fall 2014, and was accepted at all of them.  Her first and second choices also had the best financial aid offers, about equal.  She chose one and attended it for one year, but it just never seemed like the right fit for her.  She reapplied to the other one this past May, and we are so fortunate that they offered her the same scholarship.  It's been a difficult decision, but she has finally decided to transfer over.  It is actually in the same college consortium even, about 5 miles away from the other one.  I hope it's a more satisfying year for her.  It wasn't a bad year, just not a great fit.

• Like 21

we're still waiting from number 1 choice. It's a good thing both unis are in our city and there's no moving out as classes start in about 6 weeks. Yikes!

Child #1 had a huge smile and went back to videogames. Sigh

And you must be just about bald from the worry, at this point. I hope you hear soon.

Hugs,

Nam

Been following you, Cleo, as my husband is from Quebec. So thrilled for you!!! Mine are still itty bitty, but I hope you'll continue to post. :)

ooh, wow. thanks!

I will still be around. I still have one kid at home. 2 or 3 more years to go (depending on which way she goes)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news: a full year of credits awarded due to APs. Now dealing with a year 1 student instead of a year 0!

(locally, our university degrees are 3 years instead of 4, but that's because we have two years of cegep - more or less community college, after high school.

High school ends in grade 11, then 2 years of Cegep, and 3 years of university

US is grade 12 (one extra year), and 4 years of university (one extra year). Those extra years got moved to cegep. Americans coming here have to register in year 0. Local students start in year 1.

Long story short, I managed somehow to bring my kid to the end of cegep! Woohoo me! ;)

• Like 27