Menu

Light-hearted question about the eldest Duggar girls

Ginevra

I don't know where they shop, but Old Navy, Eddie Baeur, and Lands End probably have what you're looking for. I think EB has a sale going on now.

I got tired of not finding simple, comfy skirts and just made a few. I bought a few t-shirts and took them to JoAnn's to match fabric. I had no intention of tucking in, so an elastic waist was fine. I got lucky that the width of the fabric goes perfectly around the widest part of my his, so I only had to measure from my hips to where I wanted the skirt to fall and add seam allowances. I wanted them a little above the knee, so I only got 1 1/2 yards of fabric in each print. I seriously sewed a tube with elastic on the top and a hem on the bottom. They're cheap, comfortable, perfectly coordinated to my fitted Ts and just look much nicer than the shorts I retired.

I'm guessing the Duggers have a clothing allowance now and just order what they want.

I don't know where they shop, but Old Navy, Eddie Baeur, and Lands End probably have what you're looking for. I think EB has a sale going on now.

I got tired of not finding simple, comfy skirts and just made a few. I bought a few t-shirts and took them to JoAnn's to match fabric. I had no intention of tucking in, so an elastic waist was fine. I got lucky that the width of the fabric goes perfectly around the widest part of my his, so I only had to measure from my hips to where I wanted the skirt to fall and add seam allowances. I wanted them a little above the knee, so I only got 1 1/2 yards of fabric in each print. I seriously sewed a tube with elastic on the top and a hem on the bottom. They're cheap, comfortable, perfectly coordinated to my fitted Ts and just look much nicer than the shorts I retired.

I'm guessing the Duggers have a clothing allowance now and just order what they want.

I could handle this. Its not a bad idea.

I don't know, this was true in the past, but not lately. I looked all over Old Navy and Gap looking for casual skirts the other day and couldn't find anything. Everything is a mini skirt, a tight pencil skirt or jersey. This is what Eddie Bauer has on their site right now too. Same with Lands End-they are either knit, pencil skirts *or* pleated. Just a few years ago you could find cute A-line skirts everywhere.

I guess I'm going to have to get with the program and make my own.

And I second making your own - it's not a huge cost savings with the time and fabric expense these days, but the fit tends to be better and you can get exactly the styles and colors you want? They're not hard, either!

If you slap them together like I did, it's about 30 minutes per skirt. I didn't pay more than $4 per skirt on the fabric because I used the JoAnn's app. I think this may be one case where it is actually cheaper, and less hassle to make it. I may just feel that way because I hate shopping :-/

And I second making your own - it's not a huge cost savings with the time and fabric expense these days, but the fit tends to be better and you can get exactly the styles and colors you want? They're not hard, either!

Plus, you can add gigantic pockets!  Ready-to-wear designers never seem to consider that we may want to actually put things in our pockets, rather than just have them for decorative purposes.

The cost savings isn't immediately apparent these days, as fabric isn't cheap, but since I took care to sew them to be durable, the skirts I've made have lasted for a long time, and since I chose fabric I loved and a classic silhouette that flatters my shape, I'm still wearing them many years later. 

If they were trendy a few years ago you should be finding them in thrift stores now.

Denim skirts have been "out" for several seasons now.  However, "denim on denim" is the latest trend, so the stores should be getting some in for the fall.  

Here's one from Macy's - on sale today!

And here are some classic styles from Gap - mini, pencil to the knee, etc.

Guest submarines

What kind of fabric did you use?

If you slap them together like I did, it's about 30 minutes per skirt. I didn't pay more than $4 per skirt on the fabric because I used the JoAnn's app. I think this may be one case where it is actually cheaper, and less hassle to make it. I may just feel that way because I hate shopping :-/

You're speaking my language. I also hate to shop. Dd thinks that is, "Like, so weird!" ;)

It's tolerable if she shops with me because she goads me into trying on and buying things.

My favorite place for long denim skirts is Style J http://www.denimskirts.com

They usually have sales quite frequently, if you sign up for their newsletter, they'll email you about sales.

I am not of the modesty crowd, but I do like to look feminine.  I am also shall we say "expanding" in certain areas of my body due to middle age and skirts just look better sometimes.  The skirts for sale here are very cute.

Beth

What kind of fabric did you use?

I don't even know. I just went for the cute prints that matched my t-shirts. I'm pretty sure one was a quilt fabric. They're just cotton, but they're thick enough to not need a slip and they've both come out of the dryer not needing to be ironed (so they may be a blend, but they're not a stretch fabric). I only needed half a yard of each.

WHERE do they get the good skirts??? I would love to get a couple of skirts that are denim or khaki, just a bit below or at knee, and with a great shape, like a tulip bottom or something similar. Where to find such? Please share!

I was thinking the SAME thing last week.  I was shopping in a Fred Meyer (do they have those where you are?) and I notice a whole lot of long skirts on the racks for the season.   Then I thought about the Duggars and wondered if they still shopped at thrift stores or not and how they could possibly find all those cute skirts there.  My consignment shop here stinks.

I also recommend making them if you have a machine. Pockets are so practical to have which means you won't find skirts with pockets in stores. You can open up a pair o men's trousers and remove the front pockets to use as patterns to make your own, or just reuse the pocket since the material doesn't show.

Coldwater Creek went out of business.

Arg.  Didn't know that, which tells you how often I go shopping.  Most of my college professor outfits came from them.

And our thrift stores don't have skirts like that.  DD and I visited all of the local ones last weekend and came away with one shirt each, nothing else.

I was thinking the SAME thing last week. I was shopping in a Fred Meyer (do they have those where you are?) and I notice a whole lot of long skirts on the racks for the season. Then I thought about the Duggars and wondered if they still shopped at thrift stores or not and how they could possibly find all those cute skirts there. My consignment shop here stinks.

I have not seen a Fred Meyer. I know I saw an episode several years ago in which they bought a bunch of clothes. I was pretty much assuming they don't have to buy exclusively from thrift stores now.

I do find plenty of nice clothes second-hand, but bottoms seem more difficult than tops. I am a small-framed woman, and most of the smallest things are little teenager things.

I might give sewing a few a whirl. I am a decent seamstress and pockets would be handy, too.