Menu

Who has better BBQ KC or St. Louis

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who has Better BBQ

• Kansas City
    • St. Louis
    • I am a Vegan and find talk of BBQ to be highly pot stirring and am running to tell the mods.

While I do love KC bbq, let's all remember that St. Louis style ribs are the gold standard for all bbq ribs anywhere, forever and ever, amen.  

Oh, and that heavenly goodness known as bbq pork steaks?  Invented in STL.  

I guess KC has to have something, since everyone knows STL is the superior city in the big MO, so I'll give them their BBQ, knowing that I can get it, plus anything else I could ever want or need, in STL.   :p

• Like 1

While I do love KC bbq, let's all remember that St. Louis style ribs are the gold standard for all bbq ribs anywhere, forever and ever, amen.

Memphis has the best pork ribs, IMO. Keep in mind that KC BBQ is mostly beef (my mouth is watering thinking of the brisket there).

• Like 4

Since when is St Louis known for its BBQ? This is like asking who has better burgers-the US or Egypt?

ETA: I am on my phone, so please add silly smilies here.

It's not, actually, except for pork steaks and ribs, which are both cuts and not styles so much.

But SOMEONE has decided to pick a BBQ fight with me, so I'll battle til the bitter end!  

It's not, actually, except for pork steaks and ribs, which are both cuts and not styles so much.

But SOMEONE has decided to pick a BBQ fight with me, so I'll battle til the bitter end!  

St. Louis BBQ is an oxymoron. I actually wonder if you are making the entire thing up. Prior to you mentioning it I had NEVER heard of St. Louis BBQ. 

• Like 1

I think there should be additional question asking where people have actually eaten BBQ. Me? California, Texas, Oklahoma, KC, Memphis, NC, SC. Well, and Hawaii, if you want to count Asian short ribs.

IMO:

Memphis wins for pork ribs

SC wins for pulled pork

KC wins for brisket

Texas wins for beef ribs

Side note: There is a fusion restaurant here in HI that makes a specific short rib, it is one of the best things I have ever eaten, which is saying something because I have eaten a lot of delicious food all over the world. But, I am not sure it counts as BBQ.

• Like 5

I guess KC has to have something, since everyone knows STL is the superior city in the big MO, so I'll give them their BBQ, knowing that I can get it, plus anything else I could ever want or need, in STL. :p

LOL. The Royals might actually make the postseason, so they have something going for them!

I've had BBQ here and in KC, and as long as you don't suck at grilling, it tastes just as good made at home (as long as you make your own sauce). I didn't think Oklahoma Joes was worth standing in the rain in a gas station parking lot for.

• Like 2

Oh, and that heavenly goodness known as bbq pork steaks?  Invented in STL.  

I guess KC has to have something, since everyone knows STL is the superior city in the big MO, so I'll give them their BBQ, knowing that I can get it, plus anything else I could ever want or need, in STL.   :p

KC is known for Burnt Ends.

Burnt Ends are the greatest thing ever. I can't even get them here in stupid SC. What is wrong with you SC!!!

And Oklahoma Joes is in *Kansas* on the *Kansas* side of the state line.

• Like 4

I have never eaten at Oklahoma Joes. Seem A road trip is called for.

It is in Kansas City Kansas, in a gas station. It is on Anthony Bourdain's list of "must visit" restaurants. When I lived in KC we would actually go there while it was snowing or the tornado sirens were going off in order to avoid a line. :lol:

LOL. The Royals might actually make the postseason, so they have something going for them!

I've had BBQ here and in KC, and as long as you don't suck at grilling, it tastes just as good made at home (as long as you make your own sauce). I didn't think Oklahoma Joes was worth standing in the rain in a gas station parking lot for.

On one occasion we were standing in line while the tornado sirens were going off while complaining among everyone else in line about only going there during a storm because we thought there wouldn't be a line.

• Like 1

I think there should be additional question asking where people have actually eaten BBQ. Me? California, Texas, Oklahoma, KC, Memphis, NC, SC. Well, and Hawaii, if you want to count Asian short ribs.

IMO:

Memphis wins for pork ribs

SC wins for pulled pork

KC wins for brisket

Texas wins for beef ribs

Side note: There is a fusion restaurant here in HI that makes a specific short rib, it is one of the best things I have ever eaten, which is saying something because I have eaten a lot of delicious food all over the world. But, I am not sure it counts as BBQ.

I have eaten in most of those places, but also Arkansas. Arkansas has some serious BBQ as well. Also, in North Little Rock, a place called "Pig N Chick," it sounds bad but has really good BBQ. They have a cute little piggy on their shirts, the whole family has a t-shirt.

I used to get an extra long layover when I flew through Memphis so I had time to enjoy BBQ at the airport.

We never ate BBQ in St. Louis, although we did have Chicago style pizza there once.

• Like 3

I can't believe you are even asking this. Really. (And I say this, having lived multiple years in both cities.) (And I am saying this is a playful tone.)

KC:

Oklahoma Joes (the one just north of 119th and Nall is better than the one at 119th & Strang Line, fwiw)

Arthur Bryant

Gates

Fiorella Jack Stack

(Those are the big four, there are more.)

St. Louis:

-------

If this were a question about frozen custard, or about cardstock thick oily pizza cut into squares, I'd give it to St. Louis, but this is about BBQ, and BBQ is serious.

Places with real bbq:

Salt Lick (Texas)

Memphis has a few restaurants

KC

• Like 3

Excuse me, but North Carolina has the best BBQ.  It's the only state where they know to serve it with hush puppies.

I will say I like a pit beef sandwich though, Baltimore style.  Tennessee BBQ is, of course, also excellent.  I have never eaten BBQ in Texas, only had various outside of Texas "Texas BBQ's" so I feel like I have to withhold judgment there.

Oh, Chinese BBQ is also really good, like southern Chinese style on a stick.  Now I'm being really outside the box though...

But KC or St. Louis? I have no idea what we're even discussing here.

• Like 4

Seriously? I say this with love but do you live under a rock?

I am aware that Kansas City BBQ is a thing, but I've never seen it served anywhere really so I don't know how I would have it. If you go to get BBQ anywhere on the east coast, it's usually termed "Texas" or "NC" style or it's local to the place where you are - there's South Carolina BBQ and Georgia BBQ (I grew up in Georgia, but I do not hold with that BBQ, which is not very good) and even, as I mentioned, a sort of Maryland pit style. I've lived up north, but not seen BBQ served other than a generic sort. I've been to KC once, just passing through. I've traveled pretty well in the US, but not in the midwest much at all. I've never even heard of St. Louis having a BBQ culture.

Basically, I don't think people outside Texas and the midwest associate BBQ with St. Louis at all and I doubt that most people on the east coast have tried KC style BBQ.

I am aware that Kansas City BBQ is a thing, but I've never seen it served anywhere really so I don't know how I would have it. If you go to get BBQ anywhere on the east coast, it's usually termed "Texas" or "NC" style or it's local to the place where you are - there's South Carolina BBQ and Georgia BBQ (I grew up in Georgia, but I do not hold with that BBQ, which is not very good) and even, as I mentioned, a sort of Maryland pit style. I've lived up north, but not seen BBQ served other than a generic sort. I've been to KC once, just passing through. I've traveled pretty well in the US, but not in the midwest much at all. I've never even heard of St. Louis having a BBQ culture.

Basically, I don't think people outside Texas and the midwest associate BBQ with St. Louis at all and I doubt that most people on the east coast have tried KC style BBQ.

To be fair I think the only people who associate BBQ with St. Louis are those who are from or live in St. Louis. The rest of us know they do not know BBQ.

• Like 7