Menu

Do I have to lighten dark hair for blue streaks?

Mandylubug

Are you going to use blue dye or one of the spray-on products?

I would really hesitate to use a permanent dye (and if you lighten your dark hair so the blue will show, it may make your hair so porous that even a non-permanent color would be very difficult to remove if you decide you don't like it.)

I'd more than likely not attempt it myself but would have a friend that is a professional with many years experience do it...it does looklike I am supposed to bleach, then dye. not sure I want to commit to the bleaching. I have had blond highlights before and didn't like what it did healthwise to my hair.

Yes, to be that bright. But blue onto very bark hair is really cool too.

I know this is a long shot, but if you live in the Portland area I can recommend someone amazing to do it.

I currently have one pink and one purple feather in my hair.   : )

Yes, check out the Manic Panic website.  DS has dark hair (but not as dark as the pic), and we do blue streaks without bleaching.  It doesn't come out quite so vibrant, and he'd probably like to bleach a strip first.  It has more of a greenish undertone to it.

If you use Manic Panic on bleached hair, they will fade slowly, and color you choose will impact the way they fade.  Pink fades to strawberry blonde, blue fades to greenish first before fading away.  Purple - I can't remember.  Oops.

I do pink streak and always bleach first.  Need to redo them, they've faded to strawberry blonde.  

We like color here.  It's that heavy Katy Perry influence.  :)

I would love to be crazy and out of the box for once and add some fun blue stripes in my hair. If my hair is naturally as dark as this picture, do I have to first lighten it before the blue will pop?

http://pinterest.com/pin/223068987766837574/?utm_source=android_share

Yes, unless you are fine with a bluish tone.  It must be light or white to get the best result.  And remember, the color is temporary so it will wash out in a few shampoos.  If you reapply, it will stay a few more. 

I didn't know this until my daughter did that a couple of years ago. 

Yes, unless you are fine with a bluish tone.  It must be light or white to get the best result.  And remember, the color is temporary so it will wash out in a few shampoos.  If you reapply, it will stay a few more. 

I didn't know this until my daughter did that a couple of years ago. 

My kids had theirs professionally done, and it stays bright for about six weeks, then slowly fades away.

You can't swim in a chlorine pool, though.  It will strip the color right out.

Now that I mentioned chlorine, we have well water that is not chlorinated.  Maybe that's why my kids' streaks last as long as they do.

Yep, absolutely bleach the strips you want to lay color on.  The closest to white you can get it, the more vibrant and true the color will be.

To help the color last longer, try to go as long as you can without washing your hair. Baby powder was my best friend in terms of keeping the greasies away back when I was doing fun things with my hair.  I also mixed a little bottle of my favorite conditioner and some of the dye to help maintain the color when I did wash it.

Yeah, you'll need to lighten it for it to take well.

You could always try it without bleaching it first, but I wouldn't expect much. I always wanted BRIGHT red - like, cartoon character red. I could get reddish, but never red enough... After I bleached it in January and put a couple red peekaboos in, I decided I would go for straight red when I changed color again. So I went from the bleached to the PERFECT, bright red in May. <3

All that to say, bleaching is usually needed to do an intense color. :)