Menu

Can we talk Latin?

puddleduck

So...next year (yes, I'm already thinking of next year) I want to add Latin to our subjects.

What is out there? Can someone direct me through this maze? Are there different approaches that I need to know of? Basically, I've got no experience with Latin, and will be learning along with my son. I don't want to make any decisions yet, I'm not going to buy anything, but I just want to start looking into this. I need a Latin 101 :)

I'm doing something different for Latin. I'm using Henle to learn Latin myself, and giving them memory work based on Henle (which is the program I'll have them do in high school.) So the Latin alphabet, noun declension endings, verb conjugation endings, and vocab. This way, I'm getting a head start on what their Latin will be, and they are memorizing exactly what they will need. Some of this is our CC memory work, but I'm adding to it. I haven't studied Latin, but I have done Greek, and I'm doing Greek with them the same way. When they get to middle school, I'll teach how to use their memory work most likely without a curriculum. That's the hardest part of learning a language anyway: memorizing all of the vocabulary and endings. This way is cheap, and teaching them will help my study.

We opted for Memoria Press Latin programs because they teach from a grammar-first POV, have well-organized and straightforward exercises, and have a teacher DVD.  It is ecclesiastical Latin and has religious content, which doesn't thrill me, but the quality of the program has outweighed that and my 2 kids have both progressed well with the program. 

My DS7 is using GSWL this year to acclimate himself to the idea of Latin. Once he's done he will start Latin for Children Primer A. I'm also teaching myself using Linney's Latin Class (free!) and Henle. We are using the classical pronunciation.

I'm still a newbie, but here's my approach. I searched the boards and found lots of threads about different curricula. There are several out there, but LfC seemed like a good fit for us with the classical pronunciation and their approach. We haven't started it yet so hopefully it really will be a good fit. I decided to learn a bit myself before jumping in for real with him. Just from a few weeks of study things have clicked for me and chapter 1 of LfC doesn't look so scary anymore. I'm more confident that I'll be able to help him succeed with Latin.

I also used Memoria Press's Latin.  I knew absolutely nothing about Latin, and I felt that it was extremely gentle, and not too overwhelming.  

We started in 2nd grade and did Latin through 6th grade (Prima Latina, Latina Christiana I, Latina Christiana II, First Form Latin, Second, Form Latin, Third Form Latin...).  We stopped after Third Form Latin, and I decided we would possibly revisit Latin in the more advanced levels in high school (or possibly move to a modern language).  

What I loved about Memoria Press's Latin curriculum is that it reinforced what my son was learning in grammar (nouns, verbs, adjectives, direct objects, etc.).  I will say that once we got to Second Form Latin, it did get more challenging, but as long as you set aside 30 minutes per day, it is not hard to keep up.  You do need to follow the suggested drills in the book and do continual review, but overall I thought it was excellent.  

Thanks everyone. I like the looks of GSWL, but I'd have to choose something else again, after the program is finished. I think I'd rather pick something I could use for a longer period of time. So about the pronounciation, is this a big deal? Sorry, I literally know nothing as you may notice. I look the looks of both Memoria and LFC. I'm a bit worried about LFC though, as we've tried Song School Greek and didn't like it one bit.

Thanks everyone. I like the looks of GSWL, but I'd have to choose something else again, after the program is finished. I think I'd rather pick something I could use for a longer period of time. So about the pronounciation, is this a big deal? Sorry, I literally know nothing as you may notice. I look the looks of both Memoria and LFC. I'm a bit worried about LFC though, as we've tried Song School Greek and didn't like it one bit.

GSWL has taken us a bit, the kids have gone for a while then back tracked and started again. It gets tougher and has a ton of Grammar. We did stop for grammar instruction too. For the cost, and the depth, and the ease of daily work it is a winner in my book.

We did Song School Latin, but I didn't like the looks of LFC at all.

The audio CDs that go along with Memoria Press (one for each book) are pretty straightforward with pronunciation.  However, the gal (Cheryl Lowe, I believe) that is speaking on them has a southern drawl, and mixed with Latin, it's pretty weird! 

The ecclesiastical pronunciation is very easy to pick up; the vowel pronunciations are actually closer to our spoken English than classical, so that should not be an issue.  I also bought The Teaching Company Latin set as a supplement for fun and that teaches using the classical pronunciation.  With just one year of MP Latin under our belts, DD and I were able to follow TTC DVD in classical pronunciation. 

There are others who are on this board who know far more about Latin than I do, and they do say that at the upper levels of Latin study, there are subtle differences in meaning between the two that matter when reading original works in Latin.  But I cannot speak to that because I am not that advanced.  I guess I am saying that if/when DD gets to that level, I don't think there will be a problem switching to classical pronunciation, if need be.  For the moment, the structure and format of MP Latin is worth every cent, IMO; it gets done, we enjoy it, and we are learning from it.

DD gets to that level, IThanks everyone. I like the looks of GSWL, but I'd have to choose something else again, after the program is finished. I think I'd rather pick something I could use for a longer period of time. So about the pronounciation, is this a big deal? Sorry, I literally know nothing as you may notice. I look the looks of both Memoria and LFC. I'm a bit worried about LFC though, as we've tried Song School Greek and didn't like it one bit.

We started Latin for the first time this year. I have a 2nd and a 4th grader, and they are doing Song School Latin. I know my 4th grader is "too old" by the grade recs for this program, but both kids are LOVING Latin, and always ask more. After SSL, we will either continue on with Latin for Children from Classical Academic Press or move on to Memoria Press. 

The audio CDs that go along with Memoria Press (one for each book) are pretty straightforward with pronunciation.  However, the gal (Cheryl Lowe, I believe) that is speaking on them has a southern drawl, and mixed with Latin, it's pretty weird! 

We just used to joke that she must have been from the Southern Roman Empire. 

The Empire was large and undoubtedly had many charming accents and dialects.

We did GSWL first - cheap and very good.  Then switched to Cambridge Latin, which DS has absolutely loved.  It goes all the way up.

It was certainly worth the money to start with GSWL! 

Ruth in NZ

I received the same advice, and so purchased GSWL.  I have done about half the book on my own, and we've just started it with all the kids.  I am really happy with this - it's like one of those pools that starts at half an inch deep and just gradually gets deeper and deeper.  Mind you, it never goes past 3 feet deep.  You've got to get into the real pool for that (a complete Latin program), but you're all warmed up to it and ready to go jump into the deep end of a serious Latin study.  And it doesn't take very long to get you to that point.

DS is using Latin for Children self paced online. I like the fact that it's online and he can complete it on his own. I sat with him for the first couple days just to make sure he got the hang of it. We are 3 weeks in and it is going very well so far he has scored well on his weekly tests. I do plan on switching to MP next year, but I thought this would be a good introduction.

It's fun to see the different choices people make. My 9 year old is working through Latina Christiana. It doesn't have any bells and whistles but it is very straightforward and is getting the job done. Like others, I like the grammar component. I purchased the DVD but we don't use them - I just teach the lesson myself from the teacher guide. The DVDs are okay, we just prefer working through it together rather than watching a screen. I really don't mind the accent that bothers some people, but that is probably because we are in Texas and a southern drawl is a bit commonplace around here.

I'm also teaching myself Latin by working through a few vintage a latin textbooks. I'm trying to stay a few lessons ahead of her so that I have a good grasp of what she is going to cover. It's not necessary but I wanted to learn Latin myself.

She sort of worked on Song School Latin last year in a school setting. The had a Latin lesson every other week and probably went through around 50 vocabulary words, so LC is not her first introduction to Latin.

The audio CDs that go along with Memoria Press (one for each book) are pretty straightforward with pronunciation. However, the gal (Cheryl Lowe, I believe) that is speaking on them has a southern drawl, and mixed with Latin, it's pretty weird!

Oh, I know. Leigh Lowe also has a southern accent. I love it! But, being from California, I love anyone with an accent!

My 6th grade son has finished LFC A&B.  I think that it is an excellent program, but that LFC B was much more difficult than A because of all of the translating and parsing.  He liked Dr. Perrin and that's what kept him going when it got hard--plus the fun videos.  We have SS Greek, and my younger son has used it to teach himself the Greek alphabet because he's a GT kid and is like that :-)  But, I would not want to teach it to him!  It isn't anything like English, so part of why you may not have liked the looks of SS Greek is because it's Greek!  I just bought SS Latin 2 for my younger son.  It will actually be his first exposure to Latin.  SS 1 looked too easy and LFC A is too grammar heavy for him just yet. I think the focus of learning Latin for us is to build vocabulary and to master grammar skills.  

I didn't like SSGreek, because to me it was a level down from what we had completed before that: Greek Alphabet Code Cracker. Also, it didn't explain enough to us. Overall, it was just a too simple introduction and we were left wondering, wanting more. That's why I don't wantto try SSLatin, and am nervous about trying GSWL. I want something rigorous.

I like the looks of both LfC and Memoria Press. I don't mind the pronunciation too much, I think.

We are using Latina Christiana 1.  I have used this in the past with my olders, and we hated it.  I own it and didn't want to go out and purchase a new program, so I decided to try again with the youngers.  This time, to make it work, I purchased the dvds.  I should have done that way, way back, because those are the key that are making Latin enjoyable.  My boys are getting it and loving it.  Also, I'd have to find it, but someone created DVD study sheets to go along with the lessons.  They have been a great addition.  There are about 3-4 pages per lesson with blanks to fill in, and they are really helping to firm up what they are learning from the DVD.  They then use those study sheets to answer the workbook page.

I checked SSL out from the library to try out and really didn't think it would be a good fit for us. My son also hated the songs... But LfC seems different so I think we will like it more. Hopefully! The chanting and repetition are important elements so we will use the dvds.

For us, classical pronunciation is extremely important, so options for elementary level Latin are limited.

This time, to make it work, I purchased the dvds.  I should have done that way, way back, because those are the key that are making Latin enjoyable

:lol: So glad someone loves those DVDs. We used the DVDs the first time around and my older two DDs hated them. Since dd#2 was young the last time, I made her 'redo' Prima Latina last year & she's "redoing" Latina Christiana this year. (She is really getting the grammar this time. She already has a lot of the vocab memorized from last time.) I'm doing the lecturing instead of using the DVDs because they would whine like big dogs if I made them watch the DVDs. So, for us, the key is Momma Teach. (I couldn't have the last time, though, because I didn't know what I was doing.)

My boys really enjoy The Big Book of Lively Latin (older DS is now more than halfway through book 2, and it is getting harder with the translations).  It does a nice job of explaining  everything clearly, reinforcing grammar, tying in with English vocabulary, and tosses in some history and art.