Menu

I suspect my guy is the first (of the year) to change majors!

creekland

Yes, you read that correctly, my marine science kid just sent me an e-mail overnight saying he was changing majors - all of 11 days into his school year.  I could be wrong, but I suspect he's the first of the class of 2018... esp since some of yours haven't even gotten to college yet!

Part of it isn't surprising though as his main major will be Environmental Science (very similar, but adding land details that he also loves vs just being Marine).  What is surprising is that he wants to minor in Computer Science (didn't like that class in ps) and take some classes in Engineering and Technology (again, not a love before).

What prompted this?  New-found friends, of course!  He has found someone who is into drones... in his words:

I've gotten into RC and UAVs and recently got a Hubsan x4 drone that I've been flying around. ... Looking at using drones for ecological conservation, tracking populations, tagging animals, finding poachers, and bringing this technology (which is minimally invasive) to the natural environment. Also, with remote sensing technology, drones will be able to scan waters for temperature readings, and geographical studies and even some chemical tests, for local areas without needing to do intensive investigations. This job market is opening up hugely and there will be plenty of jobs. A friend down here who works with drones says he had a friend who had a 5,000 dollar octocopter with a camera system that he used to do areal photography for weddings and music videos, etc. Made 3,000 dollars a day per operation.

My thoughts?  More power to him as he finds his niche - coupled with "How much did he pay for that Hubsan???" ;)

It sure can be interesting watching our youngsters develop into themselves - to those who are "there," enjoy the journey!

This is just what I consider the ideal college experience: the student learns a huge amount about the things he or she is already interested in, PLUS, expands and augments those interests!! It sounds like Eckerd is already turning out to be a great place for him.

When I was in college, we didn't even declare majors until the end of sophomore year. I'm so glad I didn't have to start college with a major already in mind. I would have been hesitant to "change majors" and probably would have stuck with something that was not a good fit for me.

This is just what I consider the ideal college experience: the student learns a huge amount about the things he or she is already interested in, PLUS, expands and augments those interests!! It sounds like Eckerd is already turning out to be a great place for him.

I feel the same way.  So far, he seems to be really open to finding his niche AND keeping the "support yourself while doing it" part in perspective.  We'll see how it goes.  There's no way I want to write all this in stone either - just in case - but I love seeing him "find" himself even if that's different than the things he was into here.  Previously he pretty much shunned a bit of modern technology in his desire to "get back to the basics" green "style" he'd developed.

Also, that's a great time to change majors :D

It's definitely the absolute best time - right before signing up for classes freshman year.  I switched majors half-way through sophomore year - still ok - but certainly not as easy to work with.

Sounds like he's going to be on the cutting edge of his field :)

I am wondering about that. I'm also wondering if it's someone associated with his new lab position (volunteer, but a true position/job that he loves) who has been the one pointing in that direction as cutting edge and potentially in demand..  It sounds quite useful - and intriguing.

When I was in college, we didn't even declare majors until the end of sophomore year. I'm so glad I didn't have to start college with a major already in mind. I would have been hesitant to "change majors" and probably would have stuck with something that was not a good fit for me.

Right before we dropped him off (within 24 hours), we had a talk about how there's only so much any high schooler can know or experience no matter how much parents try to expose them to.  Part of it is limited money, part is limited time, part is limited knowledge ourselves.  I told him to make sure he keeps his mind, eyes, and ears open and follows along any path that appeals to him aside from the druggie or high intake alcohol ones.  There are simply many, many more options out there at most colleges - and paths within those options.  I never want my guys to feel walled in to a changeable life decision.

We've known from toddlerhood that his future is somewhere in nature.  Specifically what remains unknown, but I'm glad to see him finding his own path rather than one he merely "thought" would work out.

We'll see where it leads!

Now to google the cost of that drone - though perhaps it really belongs to his friend.  He wasn't specific. I am a little curious as to whether he has any spending money left! ;)

Now to google the cost of that drone - though perhaps it really belongs to his friend.  He wasn't specific. I am a little curious as to whether he has any spending money left! ;)

Ok, somewhere between $50 and $160 pending exactly what he got and if it were new, etc.  I can live with that! I had visions of much higher when he mentioned that 5K version... :svengo:

Good thing most schools don't allow you to actually apply for a major until the second or third year. ;)

I think I changed my major at least 4 or 5 times... Law and Justice, to Communications, to Psychology, to Business, to Russian... finally graduated with Law and Justice anyways (and it only took one year longer than it would have if I had stuck to it - still graduated in 3 years). Got lots of good exposure, so all good - but the paperwork wasn't fun. And I still wish I had majored in something else. Maybe I'll go back to school for a Masters at some point... but I'll make sure I know exactly what I want to do first, LOL.

LOL.  I did that.  

Thought I'd do pre-med and got a scholarship for that. Then a patient I got to know really well as a volunteer at the hospital died, and I had some health problems that affected my stamina. Both made me rethink that. I had to call and ask if they'd find me a more general scholarship while I figured out a new major. They did. 

I got a fun job at the campus radio station that made me think that I'd do broadcasting.  But I didn't like the professors and my fellow students, and the more I learned about the field the less I liked it.  That was in the first month of college.

Then I switched to economics.  I did a research project with a professor that was into econometrics, and decided that I really like math and computers.  I had to change colleges for that. 

Despite lots of advanced standing credits, I finally graduated in five years, and then went to graduate school while working.

And now most of my work involves an academic field that I didn't study at all in college in an industry that didn't exist until about 10 years ago.  Go figure.

I hope my own kids are a little more decisive, but what can I say if they aren't?

"Right before we dropped him off (within 24 hours), we had a talk about how there's only so much any high schooler can know or experience no matter how much parents try to expose them to.  Part of it is limited money, part is limited time, part is limited knowledge ourselves.  I told him to make sure he keeps his mind, eyes, and ears open and follows along any path that appeals to him aside from the druggie or high intake alcohol ones.  There are simply many, many more options out there at most colleges - and paths within those options.  I never want my guys to feel walled in to a changeable life decision."

Creekland, I think this is so important!  The area I've felt most inadequate in as a home school mom was in exposure to career/major options.  We live in a small town, both dh and I are in the same field (medical), and our circle of friends are more blue collar (type of town).  So I have always felt my boys were inadequately prepared to make a fixed decision on a major.   My second son is doing some really different things from his major.  He is in his senior year in mechanical engineering but he excels in mathematics and has taught himself computer programming "because the programmers won't show up and get their work done which means I can't get my work done".  He is working with a friend of mine on a patent she had an idea for, and for which he was able to do the math and get the programming done (computer idea), they got the patent, and now they are refining the "thing".   Now he is interested in working in start-ups and patent law - something I'm totally unfamiliar with.  This boy has so many ideas and is so capable - who knows where he is headed :)  

It's wonderful to hear that your son has found something that really excites him!  That, to me, is the fun of college.  

Right before we dropped him off (within 24 hours), we had a talk about how there's only so much any high schooler can know or experience no matter how much parents try to expose them to. Part of it is limited money, part is limited time, part is limited knowledge ourselves. I told him to make sure he keeps his mind, eyes, and ears open and follows along any path that appeals to him aside from the druggie or high intake alcohol ones. There are simply many, many more options out there at most colleges - and paths within those options. I never want my guys to feel walled in to a changeable life decision.

We've known from toddlerhood that his future is somewhere in nature. Specifically what remains unknown, but I'm glad to see him finding his own path rather than one he merely "thought" would work out.

Thank you for this! I'm sure we have mentioned something like this at some point, but we need to say it again before ds leaves. As difficult as it would be for ds to make a major change (he would lose 1/3 of his scholarship money) I would rather he pursue what he finds a passion for. He is not a quick decision maker, so I wouldn't expect a change from him to be a flighty one.

Good thing most schools don't allow you to actually apply for a major until the second or third year. ;)

To be honest, I don't know when he actually declares a major at Eckerd.  I only know that he has already changed from what he thought he was going to do when he applied and decided to go there.  I had a feeling that might happen, so made sure Eckerd is also terrific with things he likes Ecology/Environmentally, etc.  I mainly know he's going to stay with flora or fauna of some sort.  It's in his nature (pun intended).  Coupling it with technology sounds like a great plan if he continues to like it and is good at it.

My second son is doing some really different things from his major.  He is in his senior year in mechanical engineering but he excels in mathematics and has taught himself computer programming "because the programmers won't show up and get their work done which means I can't get my work done".  He is working with a friend of mine on a patent she had an idea for, and for which he was able to do the math and get the programming done (computer idea), they got the patent, and now they are refining the "thing".   Now he is interested in working in start-ups and patent law - something I'm totally unfamiliar with.  This boy has so many ideas and is so capable - who knows where he is headed :)

That sounds really great!  I love seeing how our kids mature and where they end up.  Examples like these give me hope for our world!  Too many times we hear about the negative (thank you media!).  I enjoy hearing about the positive...

So many niches are out there.

Thank you for this! I'm sure we have mentioned something like this at some point, but we need to say it again before ds leaves. As difficult as it would be for ds to make a major change (he would lose 1/3 of his scholarship money) I would rather he pursue what he finds a passion for. He is not a quick decision maker, so I wouldn't expect a change from him to be a flighty one.

Some schools will transfer scholarship $$ for worthy students who desire to change majors.  They end up pulling from another pool of money, so it needs to be done officially, but I've seen it happen more than once with kids at school.  It's worth it to keep in mind to check into if it ends up being an issue.

Not exactly changing a major. DS (almost 20) just informed me that he *finally* went to see a counselor about transferring with his AA and discovered the state school in town where he'd planned to transfer for spring semester is not accepting applications until next fall. So, he'll be another full year at the CC, which will give him time to work toward what will probably be a 2nd AA in Business Marketing, to go with the one he already has in Speech/Communications. That's all to the good, and he has a p/t job that will keep him funded and saving money towards tuition at the state school. Maybe he'll raise his gpa a bit into better scholarship territory, too.

Your DS is learning very quickly. I believe that it is very sad, that when we are so young, we need to select a career, and  probably we only know about a few careers, and/or very little about them.  In just a few days, your DS has learned a lot! More power to him as he continues to expand his horizons!

When she is older, I would like to take my DD to Texas Tech and just walk through some of the buildings with her, to see what they have to offer. I doubt that she will want to go into Petroleum Engineering, but possibly after a tour through the new $50 million building, she will find that of interest. Or, something in some other building that she has never known existed. There are so many majors to choose from!

My son's first day of classes is today. Last night he phoned and said he had already talked with his advisor about trying a double-major.

Last week that want even on his radar!

Oldest just told me that no only will she have a major (historic performance, Baroque) but a primary minor (music ed) PLUS a secondary minor (modern violin). I guess she just won't sleep for 3 years... 

I love it when kids choose to do/take more than they have to.  Middle is double majoring in Brain and Cognitive and Bio, then double minoring in Chem and American Sign Language.  If he gets approved to have a 5th year with their Take 5 program (for free) he'll also have an additional major that is totally unrelated.  Last I heard he was mulling Art History or Hispanic Studies... the lad loves learning.

Oldest and youngest (so far) prefer just getting their degrees and moving on.  Oldest did that.  Youngest just started, of course, so we'll see what happens.

Neither is right nor wrong, of course, but it is interesting how kids from the same family differ.

I love it when kids choose to do/take more than they have to.  Middle is double majoring in Brain and Cognitive and Bio, then double minoring in Chem and American Sign Language.  If he gets approved to have a 5th year with their Take 5 program (for free) he'll also have an additional major that is totally unrelated.  Last I heard he was mulling Art History or Hispanic Studies... the lad loves learning.

Oldest and youngest (so far) prefer just getting their degrees and moving on.  Oldest did that.  Youngest just started, of course, so we'll see what happens.

Neither is right nor wrong, of course, but it is interesting how kids from the same family differ.

Ha.

My siblings got their degrees and moved on.

I ended up with one major and 3 very different minors.

Creekland, the one thing I might suggest regarding your ds changing majors there at Eckerd is that he find someone who is using the technologies for natural resource study that interest him and volunteer to help them sometime.

When I worked down there for the state as a marine mammologist (dolphins, whales, manatees), I used to get tons of phone calls from parents of kids who thought their dc wanted a job like mine. They didn't want to hear it when I explained that there weren't many jobs like that out there, they were very competitive, and the pay wasn't all that great. They completely ignored me when I explained that the bulk of marine science jobs involved things like plankton, fisheries issues, red tide studies, etc. That wasn't glamorous, but it was reality.

Then I got lots of calls asking about job opportunities after these kids had graduated and were facing a future of counting algae cells or flipping burgers. I could understand their frustration when the jobs and the job market weren't what they expected it would be, but I tried to tell them.... So I am very big on finding someone who is doing what the student thinks they want to do, and then shadowing that person for a while to see what the job REALLY entails. Even my job, which had some absolutely spectacular moments, generally involved 20 days in the office to every ten in the field.

Regarding kids changing majors, after a sum total of ONE class, my dd has now decided that she might like to do a minor in psychology or perhaps a double major in business and psych.

Creekland, the one thing I might suggest regarding your ds changing majors there at Eckerd is that he find someone who is using the technologies for natural resource study that interest him and volunteer to help them sometime.

He does have a job volunteering in a lab and so far, likes it even though he's doing the mundane (of course).  I've been wondering if it's someone in that lab who has sparked his new interest.  It's possible, but just guesswork on my part so far.  I might be able to find out more this weekend.

Creekland of course your son changed majors.  He's at one of the CTCL.  :D   It sounds like he's doing great!  

Duh... I should have figured out the "Change Lives" part myself!  I didn't even put the connection together until you pointed out the obvious!  They certainly do what they advertise!  :lol:

I meant that he needs to go out and put in some volunteer hours with someone who is using the drone technology in the field. I will pm you with a contact person who might be able to help.

Someone who is actually working in the field will be the best person to tell him about future job prospects. IME, people at the colleges and universities I have attended were rather optimistic and tended to exaggerate a bit when discussing what the future would hold for their particular graduates. If at all possible, your ds needs to try to make arrangements to observe/volunteer to help with data gathering so that he can see exactly what is in store for him if he follows this particular path.

For example, I often had to go on manatee rescues. Based on the media and theme park hype, you would think I would have been a beach-side Florence Nightingale, my Jungle Jim hat shading me from the cheerful sunshine and balmy breezes, gently dampening the poor, pitiful creature's fevered brow while a team of veterinarians and facility curators hovered in the background arranging transport to emergency medical facilities.

The reality was that most of the time I got called out at night, on a weekend, or during a holiday. Usually when the weather was crummy. The strandings rarely happened on scenic beaches. Usually they were under highway overpasses among barnacle covered concrete pilings. If there weren't sharks lurking about, hoping to snag a snack, then it was alligators out there licking their lips. We usually had to roust a vagrant or two while picking our way through the litter and discarded fishing gear to even get down to the access point. And often times, the manatee victim wasn't all that glad to see us and frequently fought valiantly to escape our tender ministrations. We had to watch out for predators (human and aquatic) while at the same time avoiding entanglement with any trailing ropes or nets that might have ensnared the animal so that we wouldn't be accidentally drowned. The mosquitoes were fierce and the Palmetto bugs (fancy name for 4inch long cockroaches) swarmed our lights. When we got the animal safely captured and ready for transport, the commercial marine attraction personnel began to squabble over who got or had to take the animal. And we had to be in the office bright and early the next day to fill out mountains of paperwork about the event.

What I am suggesting that your ds pursue is the reality of what drone data collection entails, instead of the ideal or exciting situations that he may be hearing about through school. Hope this helps. I am not really all that sour about my experiences, I just wanted to illustrate the vast difference between the ideal fantasy and the gritty, often uncomfortable reality.

I meant that he needs to go out and put in some volunteer hours with someone who is using the drone technology in the field. I will pm you with a contact person who might be able to help.

That's a good idea and thanks for the contact.  I'll forward it on to him later today, though I'm not sure how much free time he has here at the beginning of the semester - plus - he doesn't have a car to access places outside of the bus system, so those could be hindrances.

I know my guy has never been particularly interested in marine mammals in general.  Mostly he's been interested in estuaries, coastal restoration, mangroves and even toyed with the idea of figuring out a nature friendly way of fish farming or other aqua-culture.  For a while he wanted to major in botany rather than marine science, so in general, his love is of the tropical coast and he mainly needs to figure out what he can do there.  The research deal he's helping out with (doing lab grunt work) is with coastal restoration.

He definitely needs a bit more experience overall as he hones in, so shadowing various people and seeing what's out there (supply and demand too) is definitely a good thing.

When I was about the age my DD is now (she will be 14 in October), my Uncle, the genius in his specialty, with a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, told me that he wished he had gone into Physics and not into Electrical Engineering...

Much better to learn those things when just starting out.

Creekland - it worked out great. That's why he graduated from Community College in 2 years, lol! Otherwise it would've taken another 2. Now he's in 4 year university, he's augmented the major a bit. From BioInformatics to Computer Information Systems (only because he realized that the CIS major is easier because it doesn't require more of the advanced sciences) Now that he's met kids in his major (he just started the 4 year on Friday) he's solidified his choice for his BS degree.

LOL.  You give me hope.  

My oldest is top-notch academically, but he truly has no idea what he wants to major in.  He's making noises about business, but still feels so unsure.  Being a senior is overwhelming to him.

I'm 95% sure he's going to end up at the local community college because it give him more freedom to explore at a lower cost.  The classes are smaller, and we won't have to buy another vehicle right away.  They spend a lot of time in their student development class that they take their first semester exploring interests and majors.  The commuter 4-year is going to want a major right away, and doesn't spend as much time helping them figure that out.

Yes, hope.

My daughter hasn't switched majors yet.  She just keeps adding them.  She's up to 3 so far, and taking all the courses needed for each in the first semester.  It helps that she placed out of several courses for the music major.

Now that I think of it though, she may really be up to 4 majors, as she's a performance major in both voice and flute.

Something's gotta give.  My guess is that she'll only complete one major but have minors in the others.

When I was about the age my DD is now (she will be 14 in October), my Uncle, the genius in his specialty, with a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, told me that he wished he had gone into Physics and not into Electrical Engineering...

Much better to learn those things when just starting out.

Did he give specific reasons?  And did he mean he wished he'd started in physics and then gone into electrical engineering for later degrees?  Or just physics all the way?

Yes, you read that correctly, my marine science kid just sent me an e-mail overnight saying he was changing majors - all of 11 days into his school year.  I could be wrong, but I suspect he's the first of the class of 2018... esp since some of yours haven't even gotten to college yet!

Part of it isn't surprising though as his main major will be Environmental Science (very similar, but adding land details that he also loves vs just being Marine).  What is surprising is that he wants to minor in Computer Science (didn't like that class in ps) and take some classes in Engineering and Technology (again, not a love before).

What prompted this?  New-found friends, of course!  He has found someone who is into drones... in his words:

I've gotten into RC and UAVs and recently got a Hubsan x4 drone that I've been flying around. ... Looking at using drones for ecological conservation, tracking populations, tagging animals, finding poachers, and bringing this technology (which is minimally invasive) to the natural environment. Also, with remote sensing technology, drones will be able to scan waters for temperature readings, and geographical studies and even some chemical tests, for local areas without needing to do intensive investigations. This job market is opening up hugely and there will be plenty of jobs. A friend down here who works with drones says he had a friend who had a 5,000 dollar octocopter with a camera system that he used to do areal photography for weddings and music videos, etc. Made 3,000 dollars a day per operation.

My thoughts?  More power to him as he finds his niche - coupled with "How much did he pay for that Hubsan???" ;)

It sure can be interesting watching our youngsters develop into themselves - to those who are "there," enjoy the journey!

Your post made me grin from ear to ear. Good for your son!  He's made new friends and has been introduced to new ideas and possibilities that he is able to incorporate that into a new, more appealing life plan. Your young man is already maximizing his college experience. Way to go, Creekland's son!