Menu

WWYD/ ideal basement?

Meadowlark

Assuming you had a nice sized family room upstairs with a TV, what would you use your basement for?

We have a longish/narrow good sized basement with nothing but a fireplace in the corner. We are also adding on and dh wants that room to be the downstairs family room with big TV.

I have no idea then what to do with the main downstairs. No bar, not our style. You'd have to walk through this room to get to the family room. My kids are all young so no pool table, etc. Right now it's a big empty space. Id love to hear some creative ideas!

Well, we don't have a school room actually. I had one down there in what is now a bedroom, and that was a disaster. But I had babies at e time. Now I have 3 toddlers.

I think I'm a kitchen table/couch homeschooler, but the thought is tempting.

I like the idea of the physical stuff, esp. since we're in the Midwest with hard winters. Mmm...thinking of what that might look like...

I have 5 living spaces, and have divvied up activities this way:

1 - TV room (self explanatory) is 1/2 of the basement.

2 - Other 1/2 of the basement is play room, focused on big, active stuff, requiring little supervision.

3 - Living room is "library like" for books, a piano, and musical instruments (no TV, not much kids stuff, except books)

4 - Games & projects room has: card tables, shelves of games and puzzles, snap circuits, Lego, craft supplies that involve no water, items for drawing, colouring, writing and basically all "school supplies" along with a desk for me.

5 - DH's office contains his desks, the main home computer, our filing cabinet, and his electronics projects.

Space with sink, hard floors, countertops and shelving etc.for art and science experiments in time. Not sure if that fits with the flow. A friend has this kind of space in her HS room and it is lovely.

We already have carpet, but it's the Berber kind (sp?). Not looking at doing any major renovation to the main part, but I just can't get a vision for how to set it up. We actually don't have a lot of toys, nor do I like a lot of "stuff" in general. I'm not even sure we would have enough toys to fill the space! Also, since I have a 1,2 and 3 year old, putting puzzles, games, or anything with pieces out is out of the question. I think I'm drawn to the large motor stuff idea. What sort of things could I get?

I'm in love with the climbing wall linked above.  And the idea of indoor swings and active toys for kids.

Our basement is a studio - music and art.  It is not kid friendly though, as it's definitely a grown up space, and it's where DH works from home.  But one can dream, right?

I think I'm drawn to the large motor stuff idea. What sort of things could I get?

Discount School Supply has a large selection of large motor indoor activities.  I was drooling just a few days ago.  You might do some browsing there.  

Slides, obstacle course kits, ball pits, indoor trampoline, love the indoor swings.  

I'm not into lots of little toys either.  :)

We already have carpet, but it's the Berber kind (sp?). Not looking at doing any major renovation to the main part, but I just can't get a vision for how to set it up. We actually don't have a lot of toys, nor do I like a lot of "stuff" in general. I'm not even sure we would have enough toys to fill the space! Also, since I have a 1,2 and 3 year old, putting puzzles, games, or anything with pieces out is out of the question. I think I'm drawn to the large motor stuff idea. What sort of things could I get?

Low to ground balance beam (they even have ones with little sections that snap together so easy to store), rings, hammock swing, those "bag" style swings, beanbag set?  Something on the wall that is interactive?  I've seen people paint like an apple tree and have felt, plush filled semi flat apples the kids can hang on the painted wall, for example.  Ikea has some nice gross motor toys like tents and tunnels and unique swings.  Check PT/OT catalogs for ideas too, although those products will be more expensive.

Depending on the ceiling height, you could put a whole Little Tikes/Step 2 playset in there. I know people who have the small, inflatable bounce houses for their basements.

These blocks are great: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A12YBW/

Do those blocks hold up well? I always imagine my kids stepping on them and destroying them, lol.

Some active ideas, some really obvious. I'm having trouble visualizing for sure, but it sounds like you have descent length/space. Some of these won't work for smaller spaces.

plastic scooter http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Scooter-Board-Handles-inch/dp/B001RPS87E

those hop balls, if they make them for that age, got good use here

indoor trampoline; we have one with a bar and it's been fantastic for getting out energy

ball pit...with a baby pool, pack in play (I did that), or any similar containment thing to make one.

kid sized basketball goal

lots of balls of various sizes

Cones and similar things to use for making obsticle courses, bases or islands to hop from one to another (we use paper plates, pillows, whatever for this; you don't need to buy anything), etc.

Maybe a play tent if you have that kind of room

nerf type guns or swords

hose off ride on toys from outside and bring them in when it gets cold, if you have that kind of space us

use painters tape to make temporary hopscotch, race lanes, long jump set ups, four square courts, roads for vehicles, etc.

small slide from outdoors

one of those pop out tunnels; my boys still play with that sometimes

we used a 2 x 4 as a balance beam thing; you can purchase nicer ones 

eta: those cardboard blocks did hold up well here. We ended up donating them as the boys got older. They are lots of fun to build and knock down

My boys are getting hungry, but there are lots of ideas you'll be able to come up with. It might work best to rotate in and out various things so they stay sort of novel. We play a lot of games (pretend to be a kangaroo, a crab, etc.) with loud music playing, simon says with really active commands, snowball fights with rolled up socks, etc. You really don't need materials to use the space for a lot of sorts of active play in the winter.

I'd move the TV and family room downstairs and change the use of the upstairs TV room to something else. 

When I watch TV, it's because I'm sick of the world and want an escape.  A basement seems like an ideal place to get that.  They are also nice and cool to hang out in the summer when you want to escape the heat but not put the AC on (those marginal 83 deg days where you almost don't need the AC, until late afternoon). 

I wish I had a basement (I live on the Chesapeake, super high water tables, basements are always floody here).

I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but the OP's signature indicates she has 5 kids.    What about floor-to-ceiling bookshelves to hold all of the BOOKS you'll accumulate from homeschooling?

I only have 2 kids, but we have 3 bookcases full of books in our school room.   Plus bookshelves in our family room, plus bookshelves in each kid's room.   At least twice a year we purge and send a big box of books to my nephew, who is several years younger than my youngest.   If I had 5 kids, I'd need at least double the amount of storage just for homeschool books.

You could still put exercise equipment down there, just use the outer perimeter for storage.   

I've never had a basement (lived in FL my entire life) so if this is a bad idea, feel free to do something else.  :) 

Because of ds medical issues outside play is difficult for him.  Santa brought the Little Tykes castle for our living room.  It has a slide and a tower.  That was 4 years ago.  It is still the most popular toy in the house.  It gets lots of use when the weather is too hot or too cold to play and on rainy days or just a place to sit and read a book.