Menu

What can I do with this pork tenderloin?

AimeeM

I'm not sure why, because I have major problems cooking pork, but I defrosted an entire tenderloin the other day. I need to cook it tomorrow. I am so tired of just roasting it with herbs. Blah.

I *always* overcook pork. Always. Pork hates me. The feeling is somewhat mutual.

What can I do with it - other than just roast it?

ETA: No crockpot right now. Mine recently bit the dust (cracked).

Oh wow. Thanks Zoobie! I actually have all the ingredients for that! Woot!

And yes, I have a meat thermometer. I've never used it. No surprise here, but Tony's the awesome cook in this house. Sweet man still smiles when I serve my overcooked pork :P

Oh wow. Thanks Zoobie! I actually have all the ingredients for that! Woot!

And yes, I have a meat thermometer. I've never used it. No surprise here, but Tony's the awesome cook in this house. Sweet man still smiles when I serve my overcooked pork :P

My DH uses one and can still hockey puck meat. He will test it and say, well I thought it still didn't look done enough and I gave it 5 more minutes. Sigh. ;)

The marinade is really yummy on chicken too.

My DH uses one and can still hockey puck meat. He will test it and say, well I thought it still didn't look done enough and I gave it 5 more minutes. Sigh. ;)

The marinade is really yummy on chicken too.

I am absolutely terrified of undercooked meat, lol.

Get it to 140 and then take it out of the oven and cover it with foil.  Let it rest for 5-10 minutes and it will finish cooking.  Contrary to all the horror stories, pork that is pink is OK to eat and it is very tender.  Just get it over 145 total,  

The other rule of thumb is to cook fat meats low and slow and lean meats hot and fast.  Pork is fatty (duh) and so you cook it at 350 until it gets to the temperature you want.  I brown the pork first, then cook it, so if you do it differently, your timing may be different.  But I convection bake it covered it for 30 minutes, 350, after browning it and it is perfect every time.  :0)  

You can do all the brown sugar or herb things you want, but the basic "getting it hot and done" info is pretty standard.  

:0)  

I like to trim as much obvious fat as possible off a loin, chop it into three or four chunks, and slow cook it in my Dutch oven on a back burner, or in oven on low heat, covered, with a chopped onion and half a beer or can of chicken broth, for a few hours, Then it is ready to shred for pulled pork sandwiches, or taco/burrito meat....or tamale filling if I am so inclined and have the time.

Roast pork is hard to get just right without a reliable oven thermometer and the timing to catch it when it is safely done but not overlooked. My dad grew up on a Kansas farm with a horror of under-cooked pork. I grew up with those wooden, dry roasts. When I learned how to use a meat thermometer and roasted and served a perfectly cooked, still tender pork roast to my dad a few years back he ate it in amazement. He had no idea pork did not have to be dry as a log to be safe to eat.

I have NEVER been able to cook a pork tenderloin that wasn't dry until I tried this method of cooking one.

It was perfect, super juicy and tender! So delicious! You can use whatever type of seasoning you want on it.

I am cooking pork t-loin tonight and I'm going to try this.   I was dubious when I saw one hour cook time, till I actually read the instructions.  :thumbup1:

We eat pork tenderloin a lot because it's cheap, has no waste, and is quick to cook.  Mostly, we grill, or I will sear in a frying pan in a little olive oil, then put it in the oven to cook through.   Sometimes I make a quick chile verde with it. 

I'm surprised to see recipes for t-loin in the crockpot; I've always read/been told that it is a cut not well-suited to long slow cooking as it hasn't enough fat. 

I rub ours with olive oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Let set in fridge 4 hours or so.  Then I grill over indirect heat til about 150-155 degrees.  Let rest 10 minutes, then enjoy.  So yummy.  You could probably grill over direct heat, but I am afraid of getting it overdone.

I made breaded pork tenderloin over the weekend - first time in about 3 years and DS was over the moon.  :)

Trim the fat bits and cut the meat into 1-1.5" slices.  Have bread crumbs ready on a piece of waxed paper.  Dip each chunk in milk, plop onto the bread crumbs and add more crumbs on top, roll to about 1/4" thick.  Replenish bread crumbs as needed.  Fry in a large pan in vegetable oil, approx. 1.5-2 minutes per side; sprinkle with salt if desired.  Drain on paper towels.

I think the two tenderloin strips made about 30-40 pieces.  DS has been snacking on them ever since - just straight out of the fridge.  Some people like them in a sandwich, too, either hot or cold. 

I made breaded pork tenderloin over the weekend - first time in about 3 years and DS was over the moon. :)

Trim the fat bits and cut the meat into 1-1.5" slices. Have bread crumbs ready on a piece of waxed paper. Dip each chunk in milk, plop onto the bread crumbs and add more crumbs on top, roll to about 1/4" thick. Replenish bread crumbs as needed. Fry in a large pan in vegetable oil, approx. 1.5-2 minutes per side; sprinkle with salt if desired. Drain on paper towels.

I think the two tenderloin strips made about 30-40 pieces. DS has been snacking on them ever since - just straight out of the fridge. Some people like them in a sandwich, too, either hot or cold.

I made breaded pork tenderloin over the weekend - first time in about 3 years and DS was over the moon. :)

Trim the fat bits and cut the meat into 1-1.5" slices. Have bread crumbs ready on a piece of waxed paper. Dip each chunk in milk, plop onto the bread crumbs and add more crumbs on top, roll to about 1/4" thick. Replenish bread crumbs as needed. Fry in a large pan in vegetable oil, approx. 1.5-2 minutes per side; sprinkle with salt if desired. Drain on paper towels.

I think the two tenderloin strips made about 30-40 pieces. DS has been snacking on them ever since - just straight out of the fridge. Some people like them in a sandwich, too, either hot or cold.

Mmmmmmm we make it with flour, egg and milk, then cracker crumbs. Boneless pork chops have been butterflied and tenderized. That's how it is done in Indiana. ;)

Oh gosh, grill that sucker!  Depending on size, it only takes 12-18 min. or so.  Just keep turning and use a meat thermometer, pulling it off when it still has about 8-10 degrees before 145 degrees (maybe 140?) and let it rest under foil for several minutes. 

Easiest, delicious marinade?  McCormick's Garlic, Wine and Herb packet (made with water, oil, balsamic vinegar).  Marinate at least 2 hours.

I grilled one the other day that I rubbed down with brown sugar, cumin, garlic,etc. Cooked about 10 minutes on each side and it was delicious! I was expecting leftovers and my family stuffed themselves silly! I can't wait to make it again!