Menu

Girls skirts for fall/winter

caitlinsmom

I will be doing out yearly school shopping this coming weekend.  My 4 and 6 year olds have requested skirts instead of jeans this year.  I normally buy 7 pairs of jeans for everyone but the two little girls spend most of their day switching to skirts.  So I've decided to humor them and cut my laundry in one hit.  We live in an area that gets lots of snow and wind during the fall/winter.  The temps here can easily get -20.  I've already purchased warm winter tights and will add boots in the near future.  As for skirts though, I'm lost.  I'm finding lots of flimsy, lightweight skirts that are practically see through or skirts so short they don't cover much.  Those won't cut it during the cold. 

Where have you found the best deals on warm skirts?  Keep in mind I am a thrift store shopper usually, so a $50 skirt (no matter how warm) will never happen. I don't mind buying used but it needs to be worth it. :)

What brands or fabrics do you like the most? 

You might need to wait until more winter clothes are out in the stores. I can usually find warm skirts lined with fleece or made out of corduroy, but it might be too early for that.

*Really* warm tights, like those from SmartWool or SockDreams would also help a lot. You can also sometimes find polarfleece lined leggings or tights even at chain stores like Old Navy or Justice. The latter are less expensive than the former.

I don't buy a lot of "warm skirts."  However, take a look at French Toast.com.  They have some nice plaid skirts (they are school uniforms, but some of them look very nice so who cares).  When my kids were going into 1st, I ordered a bunch of the "scooter" style, and they wore them with leggings in the cold months.  This year I bought one of the regular skirts (longer than a scooter) and it looks really nice.

The prices for the new skirts are modest IMO.  But if they are above your budget, you could pick a style you like and then go looking for it on eBay or Amazon.com (used stuff).

Well, I don't know what it is like where you are, but I find they don't put out winter type clothing in the stores just yet here.  So you might have better luck waiting a little bit.

It's usually out by the end of August around here.  However, I'm just curious before I actually start shopping.  I'll check out all the used online shops, ebay, and locally before I ever step foot in a retail store.

It gets cold here as well. If I see little girls in skirts/dresses in the winter around here it is usually a sort of a Hanna Andersson look with a dress worn over thick leggings and even leg warmers.

And there are always jean skirts. Those are warmer.  But I think the warmth comes from the thick tights or leggings.

I wear mostly skirts, and stay cozy with warm leggings underneath. Then the type of fabric used for the skirt doesn't matter as much. 

Do you sew? If you can get coupons for the fabric (Joann's offers coupons), it might be cheaper to buy some cute fabric and sew skirts for your girls. Plus, then you can get exactly what you want with no fuss and endless hours scouring stores for something you like. Just a thought.

Up until about a year ago, DD13 preferred skirts. She mostly wore the Lands End jersey dresses - both long and short sleeve - with leggings or tights. Very warm in winter and she could always put on a sweater if she was chilly. Love these dresses!

Lands' End for my two girls.  Our favorites are the printed knit, long sleeve, simple dresses with coordinating leggings.  They'd wear a camisole underneath for added warmth.  

I just looked at the Lands' End website, though, and they have many styles of skirts and skorts (attached shorts underneath), with a volume discount if you buy more than 1.  Their knits are thick and durable and can easily last more than one season without fading, pilling, or losing shape.  Their tops coordinate well.  They have corduroy and wool also, as well as uniform styles.  Here's a link to the skirts/skorts:

http://www.landsend.com/shop/girls-skirts-skorts/-/N-g12?cm_mmc=SI_658889540_51381026162_1&gclid=CKqm3seiisACFSsV7AodGBsARA

They have sales regularly, if you can wait a bit.  

My dds were skirt & dress wearers as littles. I miss that. I had great luck at thrift places!

We live in the freezing northeast , and are/were outside each day. I found that long john leggings with thick cotton and/or woolen tights made winter almost - sort of - ;) - cozy. nova naturals has fantastic wool/silk long john pieces. They are very $ but last forever, and you only need to buy them very infrequently . If you go that route, order up at least two sizes. They kept us from hibernating all winter long.

If you sew, another option is to find some nice women's skirts at the thrift, and cut them down for your dds.  That way you can get a higher quality warm fabric that is usually seen in children's wear, and you can make them a bit longer than is currently popular for kids.  If you cut them off at the top, and create an elastic waistband, you can keep whatever hem embellishment they may already have.

I wear skirts all winter, mostly denim and some corduroy.

It's not super cold here, but we dip into the 30s which is cold for this beach-grown girl!

My skirts are usually shorter (mini or mid-thigh) but thick, patterned tights and tall boots keep me plenty warm.

The warm winter skirts really aren't out yet.  My girls both love long, corduroy skirts (sometimes called prairie skirts).  I have had good luck finding them through lands end and boden (both are pricey but have good sales and can be found on ebay).