Menu

help me make homemade bone broth

ProudGrandma

I need help with this.  I have both chicken and beef bones in my freezer needing to be made into broth....but I don't really know how to do it.  Can you please help  me??  Don't assume anything in your directions...I know NOTHING!!!  thanks.

Also after it's all made...what do you put the broth in to freeze it and in what quanities do you freeze it in? 

I usually make turkey broth, but here is what I do. (I'm guessing I would be kicked out of culinary school for making broth like this; I don't really know how it is "properly" done - but it works for me and the broth is rich and delicious.)

After having roast turkey for dinner, I get as much of the meat off the bones as possible and freeze it for casseroles & soup. Then I take the turkey carcass and put it into my giant soup pot - maybe a 20qt?

I add a large quartered onion, 4-5 carrots, 4-5 ribs of celery, and a few (1 Tbsp?) whole black peppercorns. Then I fill the pot with filtered water, add a couple Tbsp vinegar (to help leach calcium out of the bones - don't know if there is any validity to this practice), cover and bring it to a boil. Then I reduce the heat and let it simmer all day - at least 8-10 hours.

I pour everything through a colander into another large pot to get rid of the bones and veggies. Then I strain it through a fine strainer. There are ways of making clear broth but I don't bother with it. I freeze most of it in Glad 8C containers for soup, with a couple of 1-2C containers for misc. recipes that need broth. I usually get about 3 gallons of broth.

I have heard that it is good to roast beef bones before making broth with them, but otherwise, I have made beef broth in the exact same way.

I make mine in the crock pot because it is convenient.

I put my bones from a roaster chx some onion peels, pieces of carrot and celery into the pot. Fill with water. Turn on to low and let it cook 24 hours.

I strain mine twice, once to get the bones and big stuff and the second time through a fine mesh to get any smaller particles. I allow it to cool, then pour into quart size freezer bags, 2 C. in some 4C. in others and some in ice cube trays. I freeze the bags on a cookie tray, them store them in my freezer.

Beef is the same, though I would add a bay leaf and a few whole peppercorns to the water. Beef bones need to be browned first if they are raw. In the oven on highish heat, 400.

Easy peasy and yummy and good for you. I never buy stock at the store. I do not add salt when I make stock, but add it when I am cooking.

You can do the same thing on the stover, just bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and let it go a long time. I like the crock pot because I am okay with leaving the house with it on.

Dh does NOT like waking up to chx broth smell, but I ignore his whining. ;)

Making broth is easy. Pre roasting bones and veg can add flavor. I just toss everything (carcass, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaf) in our crockpot, fill with water and cook on low for.....whenever I remember to turn it off. ;) oh and we use the bits of veg that don't get used throughout the week ( celery tops, onion tops, leftover carrots, etc) just toss them in the freezer until needed). Usually we do it over night and I don't get around to it until after the kitchen is cleaned from breakfast so 12+ hours. Then I let it cool a little and dump it into a sink sized strainer with a giant bowl underneath. From there we either store it in 2 cup containers, ziploc bags, or a giant Tupperware. We use broth a lot when we cook so it usually goes in the fridge and is gone within a week.

I just read through wellness mama's description and I kind of laughed. Who knew we'd been on the band wagon all these years. ;)

Anyhow, happy bone broth brewing!

I usually make turkey broth, but here is what I do. (I'm guessing I would be kicked out of culinary school for making broth like this; I don't really know how it is "properly" done - but it works for me and the broth is rich and delicious.)

After having roast turkey for dinner, I get as much of the meat off the bones as possible and freeze it for casseroles & soup. Then I take the turkey carcass and put it into my giant soup pot - maybe a 20qt?

I add a large quartered onion, 4-5 carrots, 4-5 ribs of celery, and a few (1 Tbsp?) whole black peppercorns. Then I fill the pot with filtered water, add a couple Tbsp vinegar (to help leach calcium out of the bones - don't know if there is any validity to this practice), cover and bring it to a boil. Then I reduce the heat and let it simmer all day - at least 8-10 hours.

I pour everything through a colander into another large pot to get rid of the bones and veggies. Then I strain it through a fine strainer. There are ways of making clear broth but I don't bother with it. I freeze most of it in Glad 8C containers for soup, with a couple of 1-2C containers for misc. recipes that need broth. I usually get about 3 gallons of broth.

I have heard that it is good to roast beef bones before making broth with them, but otherwise, I have made beef broth in the exact same way.

This is pretty much exactly what I do.  Vinegar, many hours, same veggies.  No idea if it is "proper" but it works well for us.

Take bones out of freezer. Let soak in apple cider vinegar and water (1/4 part cider, rest is water) for about 30 minutes. Put in pot large enough to cover bones with water. Add all kinds of seasoning, i.e. celery chunks, carrot chunks, onions, thyme, rosemary, etc. Let simmer on very low for 9-12 hours or overnight.

Drain all solid material out of stock. Decant stock into container for using immediately or freeze.

Here is a dumb question.

Is "bone broth" any different from the regular chicken broth that I make from the chicken bones. Is that just a regional naming difference? I have never heard the term "bone broth" until I started reading this board.

If you simmer your chicken bones it sounds like it's the same thing.

Here is a dumb question.

Is "bone broth" any different from the regular chicken broth that I make from the chicken bones. Is that just a regional naming difference? I have never heard the term "bone broth" until I started reading this board.

First I heard of the term "bone broth" was after "Nourishing Traditions" became popular.  We've always made broth from turkey carcasses after Thanksgiving or rotisserie chicken carcasses.  Just never called it bone broth.

The only thing I've changed is that I had a splash of vinegar because of the whole calcium/mineral thing.  I have no idea if it makes any difference.

I often do mine in a pressure cooker..and let it go for an hour or two.

I've also been known to add a Knorr chicken broth cube to the pot near the end to give it more of a chicken-y flavor. (I know…msg…sodium..who knows what else.)

Here is a dumb question.

I think the term "bone broth" refers to broth you made yourself from bones you saved from a meal, as opposed to broth you buy in a can or box from the store (or make from bouillon cubes). That's how I think about it anyway. 

when you cool the broth...how quickly must that be done...and how do you do it...I mean, do you just remove it from the stove/oven/crock pot and let it sit for hours cooling...or what exactly?

No. That would be bacteria soup. It depends on your fridge and what you have in it. Putting in a huge bowl of hot liquid will raise the temperature inside the fridge. We have an old extra fridge that I stick mine in to cool off because it doesn't hold things that will spoil usually. It also runs colder. We keep drinks in it mostly. You can stick it in an ice bath to cool it down quickly before refrigerating. Or outside if it's winter and really cold!

when you cool the broth...how quickly must that be done...and how do you do it...I mean, do you just remove it from the stove/oven/crock pot and let it sit for hours cooling...or what exactly? 

I put it into plastic containers I've saved from other things (feta cheese, hummus) - one or two cups per container.  I let it cool briefly on the counter (so it's not too hot to touch) then put the lids on and put it in the fridge.  After it has cooled in the fridge I may or may not skim off the fat.  Then I move it to the freezer.  I like the 1-2 cup size containers because I can easily use it to make rice, to make gravy, to cook with instead of oil, etc., without defrosting a huge container.  If I need more, I just use more containers.  (If I want to freeze 4 cups in one batch, I use the large plastic yogurt containers - they freeze beautifully.)

so how broth do you actually end up with from one or 2 carcuses?  Because doesn't it cook way down when you cook it that long on the stove?  I would think it owld boil down to nothingness....yes?? 

I need to start collecting containers, huh??  I throw all of those plastic containers away...

1. Put these in the crockpot. Exact amounts don't matter:

Bones

Onion

Celery

Carrots

Pepper

Salt (just a little)

2. Cover with water

3. Cook overnight on low. Taste a carrot. If it's flavorless, it's done. If the carrot is delicious, cook longer. Taste. If it tastes too watery, remove the kid, flip to high heat, and reduce until it tastes good. Don't worry if it's a little oily. You take care of that in step 5.

4. Strain, cool, refrigerate.

5. After it's been in the fridge for a while, the fat gets solid. Remove that. Your stock should be gelled by then. That means you win.

ETA: I freeze mine flat in freezer bags. I do two cups because that's what I need for most recipes. Some people like to freeze one cup. That probably makes more sense.