Menu

Fractured hip, pelvis and elbow. How to dress a boy.

AmyontheFarm

Hey Hive,

My son has a fractured hip, pelvis and elbow.  They won't be putting him in a cast, however, he can put no weight on his right leg.  I'm going to head into the city by myself today to

A) order the new dryer since my old one died on Saturday (great timing, right!?!)

B) pick up so more assessable clothing for my son.  

I'll need to buy some buttoned up shirts to help with maneuvering around a sling.  I'll also be picking up some new underwear because his are too tight! Why don't boys tell you when it's time to go up a size, doesn't it even register?  I'm praying I can find two pairs of pants that snap up on the sides of his legs. I be buying a larger bathing suit so he'll be more comfortable while sitting all the time. I also need to find some really stretchy size 14 socks.  His ankle is bruised so I would just leave socks off if we weren't leaving the house but he loves socks on because his feet are always cold.  Actually, his feet have always been cold, just like his Daddy's feet.

If you have walked this road before or have any insight.  Is there anything else I should pick up before I head home?  Going to the city is a 40 minute trip one way, and I won't want to be leaving my son very often but he says he can't just wear pj shorts all the time.  I'd let him but he wants something to wear when we have the huge countywide 4H dairy event here on Tuesday and then we'll take him to the Firefighters water barrel fights on the Sunday after that.  Those two events he has been waiting for since May.  I know he won't be able to participate at all, but he'll chat up his friends for a few hours and I'm sure it will do his mood great!

Sounds like you have clothes under control. Those excercise pants with snaps up both legs really are incredibly useful for dressing after things like surgeries (and falls!).

What about bathing? Do you already have a bench in the shower? Things to keep him comfortable and safe such as the bench and possibly a riser for the toilet seat, and a safety bar might make a big difference. I have had several surgeries and procedures of hips and pelvis and those always were in invaluable later when I was moving a bit better:)

Cotton! I would stay away from the bathing suit idea since the material won't 'breathe'. Bathing is for going to be very difficult so last thing you want to do is make him hot and sweaty. My youngest has gone through something similar three times: I purchased cotton boxer type shorts and a friend opened up one side and put buttons for me to make dressing much easier. I would think something similar would be very helpful to get over his hip without hurting him.

Sports shorts and sweats in a larger size with a drawstring are very stretchy. I have a wheelchair bound son and super stretchy pants are easier for him then fussing with all those snaps. Elastic around the waist is your friend. I've modified dress pants by putting an elastic panel in the back. Pants are just cut to fit right when standing :-/ If a portable urinal would be useful in your situation, you can get them at any pharmacy. Lower socks might be easier to get on and off if he's used to calf-length socks.

If he's going to be immobile for very long you might look into having some tshirts altered for him. My mom made some for my son that had snap tape running the length of the shirt from the underarm to the bottom hem so the shirt could be put on from the side. I bought his favorite v-neck tshirts one size up from what he usually wore and they worked great.

Style 2 on this page shows an example:

http://www.medicalrehabwearinc.com/

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say that I'm glad he's going to be okay.  My nephew had a bad car accident in April and he had several broken bones and other injuries.  I am pretty sure his parents bought him clothes similar to what others have recommended.  I am glad your son will get to enjoy seeing his friends.  Seeing friends has helped my nephew a lot with his ordeal.  They kept his spirits high.

Blessings,

Suzanne

I helped (sewed) my sister with the clothing crisis when her ds crushed his growth plate and had to have surgery. 

1st.  Easiest & likely the cheapest retail, if he can wear larger sizes (nephew was four) is to check ebay for break away or tear away warmups.  There are a few web sites, but they can be pricey.  I peeked over at ebay and they had a number of options listed now for larger boys and men

2nd Purchase one or two sizes up and make them yourself.  JoAnn's has a good quality soft velcro sold by the yard.  The dots are one option, but they are very scratchy.  I also bought a snap-maker(?) and did a few pairs with snaps.  The snaps were pretty easy to apply, compared to sewing on one inch strips of velcro.  Don't try to do an entire leg with a length of velcro; it will seal shut and be a pain in the rear.  I can give you directions if you need or want them.  I even designed breakaway underwear, but nephew was four and his cast was a full leg with no weight bearing for weeks.  (I purchased, but didn't use an old pattern (old, there are no current ones available) that you could borrow, but the sizes are 7-8 or 10-12; I'm guessing they would be too small for your ds.) 

3rd. Be creative and or enlist help of anyone you know who sews.  Once I finished one pair of pants, the following ones were much easier. I found a youtube video with instructions for tear-away pants and just followed it. 

My sister found large, big clothing and socks worked very well for her ds too as he healed. 

Prayers for you and your ds. 

I helped (sewed) my sister with the clothing crisis when her ds crushed his growth plate and had to have surgery. 

1st.  Easiest & likely the cheapest retail, if he can wear larger sizes (nephew was four) is to check ebay for break away or tear away warmups.  There are a few web sites, but they can be pricey.  I peeked over at ebay and they had a number of options listed now for larger boys and men

2nd Purchase one or two sizes up and make them yourself.  JoAnn's has a good quality soft velcro sold by the yard.  The dots are one option, but they are very scratchy.  I also bought a snap-maker(?) and did a few pairs with snaps.  The snaps were pretty easy to apply, compared to sewing on one inch strips of velcro.  Don't try to do an entire leg with a length of velcro; it will seal shut and be a pain in the rear.  I can give you directions if you need or want them.  I even designed breakaway underwear, but nephew was four and his cast was a full leg with no weight bearing for weeks.  (I purchased, but didn't use an old pattern (old, there are no current ones available) that you could borrow, but the sizes are 7-8 or 10-12; I'm guessing they would be too small for your ds.) 

3rd. Be creative and or enlist help of anyone you know who sews.  Once I finished one pair of pants, the following ones were much easier. I found a youtube video with instructions for tear-away pants and just followed it. 

My sister found large, big clothing and socks worked very well for her ds too as he healed. 

Prayers for you and your ds. 

We thought that snap tape was easier to work with than either velcro or individual snaps.

http://www.joann.com/dritz-black-cotton-tape-metal-snaps-size-4-0-18in/1923044.html?green=F3AC73FB-63EE-5BCF-9AFD-984AB9C037B1

That makes sense, and I looked at using the snap tape; sewing the little velcro strips was a labor of love iykwim.  However, for my nephew his surgeon wanted the surgical site to have as much air as possible with least amount of tugging.  It was also necessary to accommodate his potty needs as quickly and easily as possible.  tmi  

We thought that snap tape was easier to work with than either velcro or individual snaps.

http://www.joann.com/dritz-black-cotton-tape-metal-snaps-size-4-0-18in/1923044.html?green=F3AC73FB-63EE-5BCF-9AFD-984AB9C037B1

Hubby and I went to the local thrift store and bought some light flannel PJ pants, we went with a size larger than I would normally buy him.  I also bought one pair of dressier pants based on his sitting stomach measurements.  In a week or so I'll put them on him and grandma and I will take a look to see if we need to bring anything in at all.  We have a Sept wedding, so I won't fret about what to have him wear for that.  Found a pair of longer jean shorts, so he'll wear those at the 4H event along with his plaid button up shirt and hat.

Hubby has a bunch of button up shirts that our son can wear (some are Fire Dept shirts so son will be ecstatic to be allowed to wear them)  so we didn't buy any of those.

I found a pair of slippers that slip on for him to wear in the closet.  He has asked me to pick up a pair of those rubber crocodile shoes so he can just slip them on.  I'll see what I find at Wal-mart or Target on Saturday.

Still need to find some larger, stretchy socks.  Oh and he now also has a bathing suit that fits.