Menu

How to train your Dragon: Too young for a 10 year old?

I see the audiobook narrated by David Tennant, whom my DS loves.

On one hand, he is currently glued to the Hunger Games. On the other, our last read-aloud was Pinocchio and it was very much enjoyed.  

Do you think How to train your dragon audiobook might be too young? thank you!

Update: we bought the David Tennant-narrated one, and are almost through with it already. I think it's the best audiobook we've listened to!! I am loving it myself :) Thanks everyone.

Depends on the 10 year old.  :)  If you don't have to pay too much for it you might give it a whirl.  The books have been well liked by several in the late elementary crowd where I am.  

But if he is attached to the movies he may get frustrated at the differences between the books and the movies....they are pretty significant...

Depends on the 10 year old.   :)  If you don't have to pay too much for it you might give it a whirl.  The books have been well liked by several in the late elementary crowd where I am.  

But if he is attached to the movies he may get frustrated at the differences between the books and the movies....they are pretty significant...

Because the movies are better, right?

I think they're fun for kids and my boys are about to be ten and would enjoy them, I'm sure because they like light silly books like that.  I made myself try the first one and I found it nigh on unreadable (I really REALLY Hate when BOOKs use Random Capital Letters for absolutely no good Reason), but having a good audiobook narrator might alleviate that issue.

Because the movies are better, right?

I think they're fun for kids and my boys are about to be ten and would enjoy them, I'm sure because they like light silly books like that.  I made myself try the first one and I found it nigh on unreadable (I really REALLY Hate when BOOKs use Random Capital Letters for absolutely no good Reason), but having a good audiobook narrator might alleviate that issue.

We have been listening to the first audio and it is really fun! The random capitalization sounds annoying, glad we are not reading it aloud!

DS here is 10, and enjoys them.  He's been reading them, not listening to the audio, but would probably like the audiobooks.  He likes silly books.  I can't read them aloud, for reasons stated above.  :)

Your 10 year old may be different.  Hunger Games here would be too traumatic for DS here, too much injustice and death - it would be terribly upsetting.  He knows the general story of Hunger Games, and prefers to wait.  (Not that I would be opposed to Hunger Games for him, if he could handle it - it's purely that he's on the sensitive end of being 10 years old.)

DS here is 10, and enjoys them.  He's been reading them, not listening to the audio, but would probably like the audiobooks.  He likes silly books.  I can't read them aloud, for reasons stated above.   :)

Your 10 year old may be different.  Hunger Games here would be too traumatic for DS here, too much injustice and death - it would be terribly upsetting.  He knows the general story of Hunger Games, and prefers to wait.  (Not that I would be opposed to Hunger Games for him, if he could handle it - it's purely that he's on the sensitive end of being 10 years old.)

I agree with you, and I do not like the Hunger Games myself for those reasons (I don't need to venture to dystopia to be reminded of the misery of it all) but he has been begging for over a year and I have a no censure rule. He loved Gregor the Overlander so much he had to read anything by the same author. After he heard that his 12 year old friend read the Hunger Games in 4th grade (she is highly gifted and DS is not, but how do I explain that to him) there was no more postponing. He read the first one in a day. I have not read them myself.

Edited to add that we are not past silly--Pinocchio is downright campy and we relished it :)

We have been listening to the first audio and it is really fun! The random capitalization sounds annoying, glad we are not reading it aloud!

We started reading it aloud just before this sale! I agree, it's a challenge. I'm waiting for dh's paycheck so I can get the Tennant audiobook version to go with it.

Someone mentioned in another thread that one of the Hunger Games books deals with rape. The third book maybe? Just wanted to share despite the no censor rule just in case.

I'm still uncertain if this has been confirmed. I cannot seem to tell. But this is the thread where it was brought up: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/520810-harry-potter/

Its fairly implied rape.  As in its implied that it happened to a character in the past.  I think it would go over the head of anyone not ready for it.  I have a HUGE trigger for that subject, and I was fine.  

Its fairly implied rape. As in its implied that it happened to a character in the past. I think it would go over the head of anyone not ready for it. I have a HUGE trigger for that subject, and I was fine.

Thanks for this. I wouldn't have censored anyway (otherwise, what is the point of such a policy), but this makes me feel better about it.

We liked the audio book that we listened to, but it was exhausting to hear the accents for all the characters--they are all larger than life, so the brogue is too. I felt like I was listening until my brain hurt, just to know for sure if they really said the guy's name is Snot Load or whatever. It might be different if we were in a quiet room, but we were in a car with road noise that made it harder to hear.

Otherwise, it's all good. My 10 y.o. likes accents, and he loves silly stuff, so the books were a good fit. I'll gladly let him enjoy them in another room. :-)

We listened to the first book, narrated by David Tennant, and enjoyed it.  We started listening to book #2, but I found it a little less adorable and engaging than the first.  DH and DS (age 11) are enjoying it though.  DH was excited to hear that several of the series are on sale at Audible right now.  They are completely different from the movie. . . at least the first one.  Haven't seen the second.   Toothless the Dragon (in the books) is a thoroughly unlikeable character, IMO.  I'm wondering if he redeems himself later in the series.

As far as appropriateness for a 10 yo, I think it's perfectly fine.  If he can handle Hunger Games, he can certainly handle How To Train Your Dragon.

Everyone in my house loves the books. I read them out loud to the whole family. Dh likes my toothless voice. :lol: The one and only problem that I have had was with the name of  Big B@@bied Bertha. I do not like that word, and I always read it as Big Bosomed Bertha :lol:. It's just a personal problem of mine. I think the books get a little bit older oriented as the series progresses, the books get longer etc. Dd just turned 12 and loves them. Ds is 11 and is reading through them himself again.