Menu

List your favorite FREE activities (either at home or out and about)

Michelle My Bell

Movie theaters here have morning weekday movies free. I think they want people to buy popcorn.

Walks around the local nature center, sometimes they have docent led activity free.

Our libraries have a ton of summer programming. There's at least one special kid thing a week like a reptile show, puppet show or performance free at the local branch. If I wanted I could drive to other branches and participate in their programming too.

Our parks have a free summer concert series.

An outdoor market area has a summer movie series one night a week, they even give out popcorn free.

Bike ride to local schools and try out different playgrounds. I live in a densely populated enough area that there are three schools we could bike ride to and do this, plus there are a lot of trails that go by neighborhood playgrounds.

Parks.  Free days at museums - often on the first Thursday of the month here.  (there is a site called freemuseumday.org that lets you search by city).

Parks department programs.  Often free esp. if you bring snacks and don't use concessions.

Library specials - yesterday there was a science "magic" show at our library for free.  There are concerts also.

Free Shakespeare in the park in some places though they often pass a hat for donations.  

See if your area has any free

• art gallery shows/openings
  • cultural festivals
  • museum programs
  • club demos (astronomy, etc.)
  • campfire/story/nature events
  • hiking trails you've never gotten to.

At home, you can create

• obstacle courses
  • craft projects
  • dance parties
  • scary story (or other themed reading) nights
  • birdwatching or firefly count.

Traditional kid/teen summer business opportunities:

• lemonade stand
  • car wash
  • dog wash
  • neighborhood child drop-off and play event.

All of Jean's suggestions apply around here.... Shakespeare in the park...LOTS of concerts in parks all over the area ... a huge international jazz fest going on right now with tons of free events.

Free tours of the large urban cemetery that are amazing. I never would have believed a cemetery tour could be as fantastic as this one until I went. Geology, history, architecture, politics, horticulture... all in a beautiful park-like setting. 

Lots of local theater groups giving very low cost summer performances.

And our library's summer read program is always wonderful. They run a teen program simultaneously... with book club discussions.

Our local astronomy club hosts open houses and free star parties in the local parks around here. Lots of very knowledgeable people in a field with 10 or so large scopes pointed at many cool astronomical objects and willing to tell you all sorts of amazing stuff about them. Add a thermos of hot chocolate and you've got a great night. We LOVE these events and have met some great people this way.

My favorites are already listed, but wanted to say - don't forget free fireworks on the 4th.  We have lots of options for those, here.

Several towns near us sponsor movies on the lawn type nights, I think those might have been listed already, but not sure.  

Biking, rollerskating, scootering, running, camping.  Water play in the yard.  Crafts at home.  Make ice cream or snow cones.  Lemonade stand.  

We are near the Smithsonian, so we do a lot of museum and zoo stuff.  

Playing in the creek! Hands down summer favorite here.

Obstacle courses in the backyard.

Fort building inside.

Board games tournament.

Volunteering at your favorite local charity.

Home Depot building classes for kids.

Free days at the art museum.

Star Wars movie marathon. Or Jimmy Stewart. Or historical movies. Or ....

Have a yard sale.

Write and act out a play.

Free concerts at parks, churches and universities.

Birdwatching and firefly catching.

Get outside and play basketball or catch.

Utilize any nice open spaces near you.

Library programs.

Check the rec center or Y for free programs or fee waivers.

Church related activities.

Freebowling.com- just find or buy cheap used bowling shoes for everyone so it is truly free.