Menu

Could you please share what you are doing...

kidsnbooks8

with your 5th graders? I would especially love to hear about those schooling multiple children with 5th grade being your oldest.

I am trying to come up with a plan for my girls, they are 10, 8 and 6. My 6 and 8 year olds are just starting to read and my 5th grader is advanced and catches on very easily. So I am torn between having my 10yo doing independent work and just working with the 2 younger ones or grouping them together for Science, History and Bible.

My 10yo does want to just do her own thing, and I can kind of see her point, she gets bored, doesn't want to wait to do things, etc... And when it is at her pace, the other 2 are lost. I guess I just don't know how to teach multiple levels at once.

Would it be possible to do A World of Adventure Unit Study with just my 10yo and still do another unit study with the 6 and 8yo? And be Mommy to 3yo and 1yo. And deal with 14yo and 16yo(who are also doing different programs:confused:) and Wife to dh and cook and clean???? I really think I am going to lose it!!

Sorry for my insanity here! LOL(but I'm not sure it is really funny KWIM?) I also thought of doing 10yo in Rod and Staff and just working with the other 2, and for this year I think it would be OK, but if look at next year, I don't like the History/Geography for 6th grade and would need to look for another program and I don't want to keep changing gears on 10yo she has been through that up till now, and since she is getting older, I would love to find something we could stick with consistently.

:confused:OH, if you ladies could help me I would be ever so grateful!:001_smile:

I really should be organizing, but this is way more fun. :D

My 10 yo is my oldest and is taking Apologia Zoology, Total Language Plus, and MFW Geography at co-op at her level. The 8 yo is doing the same but for the 3rd and 4th graders.

At home, the 10 yo will be in Latin Prep, ToG dialectic readings, Fred Decimals, followed by Dolciani pre-algebra, and Spanish with the 8 yo. So at home everything but the Spanish is different.

My 8 yo is doing his own thing because he's so far ahead of my 5 yo, but can't quite keep the pace of my 10 yo. But I think in math, he might catch up with her, which I think they'd both enjoy, and me too. :D

Good Luck,

Kimberly

Well we do My Father's World (History & Bible Part of Rome to the Reformation) We are using Considering God's Creation for Science and everyone is loving it so far. For Math and L/A I do individual instruction. I plan to keep them all together for History & Bible and then add other stuff as needed.

Good luck!

Phlox

Yikes. I'm just juggling 2 kids; I can't imagine adding more to the mix, lol.

Last year, I felt disorganized the whole time & had a hard time juggling teaching 2. This year, I prepped better & we started school this week. We're not up to doing our full schedule yet, but have done most of our work this week. I have a 10yo 5th grader & a 7yo 2nd grader.

First, I created a 5-column chart in Word & wrote out a list for each child of the subjects they would do that day. My list also includes any outside classes that we happen to have on a particular day of the week. I left some blank space under each chart that we could add other things as they crop up (field trips, extra topics). Fridays, I planned a bit differently. We still do math, but then I try to vary our Friday activities to cover things we may not do during the week (various science kits we have on hand; time to work on bigger projects like a diorama or poster; timeline entries; filing all the 'completed' papers from the week; nature study; and playing some educational games).

I also set up each child w/ a bin for their books & a small holder for hanging files. They have a folder for each day of the week (Mon-Fri), plus an additional folder for completed work. To start the week, I put their weekly schedule in the folder for Monday. Also, I can go ahead & distribute any worksheets in the proper folders ahead of time. As they work through the day, they check off the subjects as they finish. At the end of the school day, they move their list to the next day's folder. I also like this system because it is easy to adapt when needed. For example, we didn't get around to doing Latin on Tuesday. So, we looked at the schedule, saw that Thursday was the next Latin lesson & just moved the worksheets to the Thursday folder. I also like having the list/chart so that if I'm helping one child & the other child finishes something he is working on, I can quickly glance at his chart & tell him/get him started on another subject.

Subjects:

Math -- each does their own level (MUS)

Grammar/Handwriting/Spelling -- each does their own level (GWG, HWT, Spelling Wisdom)

Vocabulary (Vocabulary Cartoons/EftRU) -- we do together

Science -- we do together (SL Science 3); I will expect my 5th grader to do a bit more as far as writing some science compositions, do a few bigger projects throughout the year, etc....

History -- we do together (SOTW I; Oxford First Book of Ancient History); same as science in that my older child will do more in-depth work, papers, etc....

Geography -- we do together (we're starting a state study of our own state to be followed by Trail Guide to US Geography)

Art -- we do together (Handle on the Arts)

Composition -- mainly just my 5th grader (IEW), though the 2nd grader will do this once in awhile

Logic -- each does their own level (various Prufrock Press & Mindbenders type books, etc...)

Latin -- 5th grader only (Lively Latin)

Spanish -- we do together (Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day + The Fun Spanish)

PE -- we do together

Typing -- each does at their own level

Don't know if any of that helps, but there it is. :001_smile:

I have an almost 13, 11, and 10 year old using My Fathers World-Creation to Greeks. We do Bible and history together. Then I use the already laid out plan from MFW and give the boys a daily sheet of required work for them to complete on their own. It is easy because MFW schedules all subjects.

I also have an almost 7 year old and 5 year old that I am teaching this year(plus 2 preschoolers) using little Hearts for God's Glory. It has really helped me to have the older boys do much more on their own this year. My 4th grader is really excited about getting to get his work done at a faster pace and not be waiting on me.

This has evolved out of necessity...I tried doing it all together and it put me into a tailspin of despair by the end of the day. I took the next day to think about what I could do to make this whole thing work. All feels well now.

Cheri

It can be done independently, schedules are already made up, and many of the books can be downloaded for free or gotten at the library. Then you could combine the other two with whatever appeals to you for them. Also, have you looked at Robinson Curriculum? MAybe something like that would work.

I only have two kids, but my oldest is in 5th grade. :)

Basically, I tutor him first through math, English, Latin, vocab., history/science/literature writing assignments. As I go, I write down on a sheet of paper what I want him to do independently after we are done tutoring (do these math problems, diagram these sentences, complete these Latin or vocab. exercises, put dates on timeline, do a science sketch, etc.). I am desperately working on condensing this tutor time, so he can have more time to do his written work (I also try to eliminate as much written work as possible, where I see fit). Then, I tutor my daughter through her subjects and give her independent work, if there is any. While ds is with me, dd is reading or playing.

Up to the end of last year, they were doing the same history and science, because they were both doing narrations. This year, ds is adding outlines, doing a timeline, more complicated experiments, different experiment reports - so I had to change tactics and books and split them up for these subjects (read SOTW to dd, have her narrate - have ds outline from SOTW, read it later if he wants to, have him read KF and get timeline dates and further study topics - do simple experiment and narration with dd, do more involved experiment with ds, coach him through his lab report).

hth

Cheri,

How do you do Bible and history with all your dc first? Do the preschoolers disrupt? I would love to do Bible and history first thing in the morning, but my 22 mo is constantly shoving books in my face asking me to "read books." She loves to be read to, so any time I sit down to read something to the others or for myself, she does this. Reading a couple books to her first doesn't help. She just wants to keep going. Most days I'm too wiped out by her nap time to do the Bible and history then (we won't even discuss science), so they get skipped. I'd love to know how you manage it.

What I'm using with him could easily be used with younger ones in tow (especially 8 and 6yo).

He's using Story of the World and Apologia elem. science. For bible, we are just reading through the One Year Bible, which is broken down into daily readings. He'll do current events one day a week instead of the SOTW using God's World News.

These materials are jsut as good using them individually or in a small group with younger sibs or even in a co-op.

I've got a 5th, 1st, and K this year, with an 8mo crawler and a baby coming in Dec. I keep everyone together for history, science, and Bible. Bible first thing, history or science at the end of the day. Everything else is at the student's level. For the things we do together, I'll be expecting different levels of work from each kid.

I'm using TOG Ancients for history for the first time, and God's Design for Life for science.

I'm trying to implement a loop schedule in the hopes that it will help keep me from dropping the same things off my schedule. I try to focus my energy on teaching the littles, because only one of them is reading, while my oldest does her work independently. Where it gets tricky is in cutting her off when it's time to move on (she's a major slowpoke). Everyone else gets their work done faster -- they have less work, and they are less distractible.

I'm not sure I'm answering your question. Are you talking about a daily schedule/routine, or about which resources to use to keep everything running smoothly?

This is the Avoid-Mommy-Burn-Out Plan. It is greatly simplified and definitely doesn't cover everything. It does cover the stuff we feel is most important.

My daughter is almost ten and a fifth grader. She is doing:

Math:

Horizons 6

Language Arts:

Prompt a Day

Write Shop

Jensen Grammar (Monday - Thursday only)

Note Taking and Outlining (on Fridays only)

How to Write a Great Research Paper (on Fridays after Note Taking is finished)

Music: (done with younger brother age almost 8)

Recorder

History: (done with younger brother age almost 8)

All American History Volume 1

Teaching US History Through Children's Literature

Art: (done with younger brother age almost 8 and youngest brother age 4)

Artistic Pursuits k-3 Book 1

Draw Squad

Science: (done with younger brother age almost 8 and youngest brother age 4)

A bunch of science kits

I have a 5th grader (10yog) and a 2nd grader (7yog). We follow Ambleside Online. The 5th grader works pretty independently. I give her spelling tests, and we do logic and Plutarch together. We are not currently doing a foreign language. The second grader is learning to work independently as well. I still spend maybe an hour with her. We also do Bible together twice a week. Both of my children are good readers and enjoy doing their work from schedules and doing it independently. I do expect them to start early in the morning and work until it is complete - only taking short breaks.

I say simply, simply, and then simply. LOL I have five dc. One special needs high schooler soon to be senior and two soon to be fifth graders (twins), a fourth grader, and toddler. Our new year has not started but I will be using MFW with my littles and it incorporates multiple subjects (Bible, Science, History/Geography, Music, and Art) like A World of Adventure. I would say teach as many group subjects as you can. It really is a time saver and a mind saver when you do. Plus, group hands on activities are so fun! We use Rod and Staff for English and Math. My fifth graders use the same level of English as my fourth grader since it is a little advanced and works quite well that way. We use the same level of Mind Benders for logic play and will be using Spelling Wisdom for copywork/dictation so the only lesson that they have separately is Math. We have several subjects together this year as well but my goal for the upcoming year with a toddler was 'quality education but less stress'.

Thank you for taking the time to share what is working for you all. You have given me some very helpful advice.

Kysha, I looked at your Curriculum 09 page and that is a good idea and it is laid out very nicely(clear and simple). I am having a hard time to narrow down my choices. That is part of my problem. The other is getting a few minutes of quiet to clear my head and come up with a plan.

Ambleside is also a good suggestion, I'm just not sure where to put her. I don't want to start her in the middle of something and the level 5 seems quite challenging. Where would be a good starting place?

Brenda, I have seen posts about the loop scheduling and I need to implement something like that to make sure we cover a variety, otherwise we will never do Science, Art, Music or any other extras.

My 5th grader is my 2nd oldest. I also have a 7th grader, a 2nd grader, and a 1st grader.

My 5th grader is pretty independent. Right now he does math (Right Start, which is very teacher-intensive to present the lesson, then he goes off to work on it by himself), Latin (which we do together orally), Greek (he does this independently), and I assign him history and literature reading which we discuss when he's finished. I also have him doing some of year 4 of Writing With Ease, which requires my time/attention.

Right now, we are not doing any writing or grammar - I have to add those in soon.

Most mornings, my very independent 7th grader goes off to start his work on his own. My 5th grader is usually ready by 10 am, and we sit down to do his math, Latin, and writing. He does the other stuff when he wants to, but he can't have his 30 minutes of computer time until all school work and chores are completed.

My little ones like to play all morning.

Usually we do just a couple of chores and I'll get laundry going in the mornings before I work with my 5th grader. After lunch, I read aloud to everyone, and then we all do household chores. Late in the afternoon I corral the two little ones and have them sit with me to do their math, phonics, handwriting, Writing With East, First Language Lessons, and for me to read history to them. That actually doesn't take very long, in total.

We try to keep things simple and loose, and I foster a lot of independence and expect a lot of help with chores.

Well, we don't start till after Labor Day, but I'm planning on doing a lot of the same as last year just kicking it up a level, (I have rising 5th and 3rd graders) so here's the plan...

First, everyone gets up, morning chores, eats and practices their instruments.

Spelling everyone together.

Math lesson with 5th graders. I may have younger one do penmanship while I work with them. When they start workbook, math lesson with 3rd grader.

Older two will do Easy Grammar independently. All three will probably have some writing homework from a weekly class they're taking which may require me to help as needed but not to present a lesson.

Then most days after lunch we run out to do some kind of coop or class. Spanish is one, I'm teaching that to them with some friends (of both ages). I am going to attempt to teach all the kids together, and assign homework at two different levels. Biweekly science coop (separate classes for the different grades), they will also have homework from that. German school one day a week, more homework. I'm going to try to have them do art independently from Artistic Pursuits. They also have weekly supplementary "homework" packets (mixed subjects) that are done independently.

History we do all together. I read aloud at bedtime, and also assign independent reading at their different levels.

So looking at this, it seems like other than math, spelling and history, I've outsourced a lot of the instruction, lol. Although I will be doing all the Spanish, and teaching 8 wks of the science coop, so I'm not completely off the hook...

You might also want to check out Heart of Dakota.

You could put your ten year old in Preparing Hearts with the extensions and have her work as independently as she is able...

and then combine your next two in a program such as Beyond Little Hearts...

There might be a way you could combine them all in Preparing Hearts keeping your youngers at their appropriate math/LA...

You might want to check it out.

Blessings,

Rebecca

I'm schooling a 10, 8, and 6 yo, with a 3 year old and 1 year old. My 6 year old and 8 yo are on about the same level reading wise and my 10 year old is advanced. Here's what we're doing. As you can see, I like to combine as much as possible.

All together: SOTW 3/4 (finishing up 3 and starting 4), Zoology 2 & Botany (both from Apologia), Famous Men of Rome & D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (both with the MP guides), First Start French

Note: I expect more retention from the 10 yo than I do from the others, and I have her read more in depth books to go along with science and history. The younger 2 I'm more concerned with exposure than retention.

10 & 8 yo together: Latina Christiana I & 2 (finishing up 1, starting 2)

6 & 8 yo together: All About Spelling, Writing With Ease 1,

10 yo :MUS Epsilon, Life of Fred fractions, Spelling Workout G or H (can't remember which), and probably Writing Strands

8 yo: Singapore Math 3A & B, FLL 3

6 yo: MUS Alpha & Beta, FLL 2, ETC 5 & 6

I think that's everything!

I do not do Bible and History first thing in the morning. Tried it -does not work here.

First, my 3 year old twins go to preschool 2 mornings a week. big help.

I save any type of reading outloud/ group work for when the little kids rest.

My older boys do Bible memory work and read a devotion as one of their first assignments in the morning. But anything we would want to discuss must wait until nap time. I require a rest time after lunch for everybody. That way i get about 20-30 minutes of rest and it reeeeeally hlps me get through the day. The kids can either read, draw, or sleep during that time. After th30 minutes the little guys are usually asleep by then and we can all get to the school stuff again.

HTH

Cheri

I have a 10 yr old and an 8 yr old, and yes, I have had to separate their work for the most part this year. The level and quantity of academics tends to make a big jump around 4th/5th grade, and keeping them together throughout the day is nearly impossible. We are trying a new schedule, three weeks of book work followed by a project week, which I hope will keep a balance of working together and independently.

They are separate for science (Singapore i-Science), as far as daily reading and workbooks go. Experiments are done during project week, and we do them together or share the results.

We listen to and discuss history chapters together (SOTW 1 cds); map work is together also, with the extra work like outlines and reports done separately. Projects from activity guide are together during project week.

Language arts is separate for the most part. When the oldest does activities for literary elements, etc, her sister may choose to join in. We are using My Access writing program online for her as well, which can be done very independently ($100 per year).

Math is separate, except for skip counting and mental math during recitation time.

Art is together.

Latin is together.

If your oldest is keen on independence, might she be a help to the younger ones? Mine helps quite a bit, checking work and answering questions, and it really saves me time. The youngest one will also check her sister's work sometimes, when there's an answer key.

If your oldest is keen on independence, might she be a help to the younger ones? Mine helps quite a bit, checking work and answering questions, and it really saves me time. The youngest one will also check her sister's work sometimes, when there's an answer key.

Great idea. I need to work that into our schedule.

Fifth grade this year:

Math U See (we're just switching this year, we hope to do Gamma and Delta)

LLATL Purple book, supplemented with Voyages in English (since I already own it from older dd)

Spelling Workout F

IEW (my girls are taking this as a class from another hs mom)

Story of the World 4

Finishing up Latin Primer 1/starting Latin Primer 2

Physical Science Daybook with supplemental material

I would let the 10 yo work alone in language arts and math, but group him with the others for science, history, bible, latin etc. adjusting the work level for each child. Have you looked at TOG for your crew? You could keep all of them on the same page that way.

My 5th grader is doing the following:

Abeka math 5

Rod & Staff Science 5

Rod & Staff English 5

Rod & Staff Spelling 5

IEW Ancient History Based Writing Lessons

TOG Year 1

Mind Benders

Latin in The Christian Trivium I

I have only 2, 5th and 2nd grade this year. My 5th grader is advanced though, and my 2nd, not!

We are using SL Core 7 for modern history, with SOTW 3 & 4. I got SL Core 2 for my youngest, but lined the CHOW up with my oldest's schedule, not the way it is in the SL schedule. Ideally, they will do history together this way, but with less required from my 2nd grader. The Core 7 books might be too challenging as read alouds for my younger, but she is also listening to the Core 2 read alouds, so there is somethign at her level. You could have your 10 year old read to the littles off of SL's Core 1 or 2 reading lists all year- it would build her read aloud skills, and they would get to listen to some great books, and free you up a little!

For science, they are together, too, we are doing our own thing this year for that, Ocean/marine mammal stuff. Not rigorous at all, just fun.

For art and music, I aim for my oldest's level and then adapt down as needed. We are doing a composer study (fine for both) and meet the masters. For my youngest, she won't have to read biographies about the artists like my oldest will.

Geography is combined, too, but just tied into our history. They can both do maps and memorization the same.

I guess the key for me is combine, combine, combine!

I also have my oldest doing math independent- she really likes that.

My 14 year old and 8 year old are combining this year (the older one has special needs and he's working on a 7th grade level; my 8 year old is advanced and he's working on a 5th-6th grade level)

We're using Sonlight Core 4 and The Trail Guide to US Geography for history and Sonlight Science 5 for science.

They each have their own Language Arts, Math, and Art books.