Menu

In Search of Radish Recipes

whitestavern

Whenever I think of radishes, I think of a class assignment at the school where I used to teach where kids all drew different ingredients out of a hat.  The kid who drew radishes brought a cake.

Me: So, what is that?

Him: I call it Radish Surprise.

Me: There's a radish in that cake?

Him: Surprise!

That's probably not the sort of recipe you're looking for though.

Thinly slice radishes. Spread white bread or baguette with butter and layer radishes on top. Sprinkle with salt.

It's really very good.

Here's a fancier version with herbed butter:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/radishes-with-butter-and-salt-recipe2.html

This is how my late dad ate radishes. I thought it was just a weird "dad" thing!

Thanks for sparking a sweet memory!

The braised and roasted recipes look lovely. I sometimes do a northern Italian recipe of thinly sliced radishes over a bed of mild greens, along with black olives and a dressing of plain olive oil.

Thinly slice radishes. Spread white bread or baguette with butter and layer radishes on top. Sprinkle with salt.

It's really very good.

Here's a fancier version with herbed butter:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/radishes-with-butter-and-salt-recipe2.html

I do this all the time, but omit the salt.

grate them and make hash browns out of them until they are at least translucent.  Since you have a lot, it is handy that they shrink down.  Heat takes the bitterness away.  

Before I tried that recipe I thought radishes were only technically edible, like fondant and play-doh.  

Wow!  Thank you for all your respondes.  I can't believe there are so many ways to eat radishes :)  I'm really excited to try some of these.  I love when the garden starts producing!

We tried the braised one from Rachel Ray that someone posted and it was really good.  My son had seconds.