Menu

Podcast recommendations?

fraidycat

I've got quite a bit of packing and cleaning coming up in my near future.

I have some audiobooks lined up that I can listen to, but I would also like to get some podcast recommendations in various non-fiction subjects.

Parenting

Marriage

organizing/housecleaning

Etc., etc., etc.

Or any others you enjoy and would like to share. Any and all recommendations welcome.

Slate has a parenting podcast that is pretty good -- Mom and Dad Are Fighting.

Some of my other favorites that might be of general interest are Backstory (history); Freakonomics (economics); the Moth (storytelling), America's Test Kitchen (cooking), the TED Radio Hour (various),BBC documentaries (various), and that perennial favorite This American Life.  

Some Christianity is ok - advice or talks given by Christian people is fine. Sunday morning sermons, not so much. ;)

Money is good, too! I just realized I didn't add an "etc." to my original post. I unintentionally narrowed my options for replies. Ugh. :)

Some Christianity is ok - advice or talks given by Christian people is fine. Sunday morning sermons, not so much. ;)

Money is good, too! I just realized I didn't add an "etc." to my original post. I unintentionally narrowed my options for replies. Ugh. :)

Science Friday from NPR is also interesting given the now added etc. :D And I'll second TED Radio Hour and BBC documentaries.

I looooooove Radio Lab.  I listen to podcasts while running and have listened to every old episode already.  It's usually about a science topic, but it is not just for science nerds.  I listen to This American Life sometimes as well, but it is a far second to Radio Lab.  I'll be watching this thread!  I am needing some new stuff!

I love podcasts but they aren't all non-fiction:

I like the Rachel Maddow podcast. It is her daily show and you can get a video or audio podcast. It is commercial free.

There is Alton Brown's as someone mention. I looove Selected Shorts. But it is actors and others reading short fiction selections and stories. But it is top drawer.

The Dinner Party - a once a week podcast

The Beauty Brains - a podcast by two people who are chemists (think chemists, def some type of scientists) in the beauty and cosmetic industry

The Bugle

Welcome to Night Vale  has a cult following. It is an acquired taste and a bit weirdo, but it does have a big following. I listen to it mostly so I can know what lots of my friends are joking about. I am waaaaay behind though. You have to go all the way to the beginning and start there.

NPR Planet Money: financial matters

BackStory

The History of English Podcast- exactly what it says on the tin

Stuff you should know

We're Alive- a Zombie apocalypse type play. Start from the beginning

Also do a search on BBC and you will get a bunch of hits. I also like one... the history of the world in 100 objects....and there was one, maybe called the history of math? I can't remember.

I watch the Rachel Maddow 4 or 5 times a week and I listen to at least one other almost every day. I love podcasts

And you know about This American Life, yes? I think that is the most popular one around.

Oh I forgot Dan Savage's podcast Savage Love. Ok, now that one is 100% for adults only. Really. For Real. And not for just any adult either. But, I found it tremendously educational and it sparked some good conversations with dh and friends etc. But it is not for everyone. I just thought I would put it out there.

I LOVE podcasts - currenty active on my iPhone (kind if in order that I love them):

Great Detectives of Old Time Radio

Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me

99% Invisible

Snap Judgment by NPR

What you Missed in History Class

BBC World Book Club

The Book Riot Podcast

NY Times Book Review

The British History Podcast

Case Closed

I have listened to lots more over the years.  Gets me through the gym, walking the dog, sometimes even falling asleep at night!

I love podcasts!

What I have on my list currently:

NPR: TED Radio Hour Podcast - complies TED talks with interview, can be super interesting

Inquiring Minds - very well done, scientific topics, quite liberal slant (I am not exactly liberal but I still enjoy the topics)

The Art of Simple - Tsh Oxenreider, love this one, she recently did an episode with SWB :)

The Joy the Baker Podcast - my very most favorite ever! Two best friend food bloggers (Joy the Baker and Shutterbean) just chat about anything and everything. So funny and entertaining!

Books on the Nightstand - Love, love, love this. All things books. Talk about all sorts of book related topics and at the end they each (two people) recommend a book. I have loved so many of their choices.

I like  Welcome To Nightvale

It is fiction, and er....imagine if Prairie Home Companion and HP Lovecraft had a baby.

If you don't like stories involving mysterious entities controlling local school boards or dog parks then I am not sure you would be keen.

All Hail the Glowcloud!

See what I mean? I have to listen to Nightvale just to keep up.  And to know if I should hail or avoid looking at the Glowcloud.

I don't listen to any of the topics you list above, but I love podcasts. My current go-to ones are:

Entrepreneur on Fire

The School of Greatness

Achieve Your Goals

The Unmistakable Creative

Forever Jobless

The Tim Ferriss Show

Starting from Nothing

All of them have a strong business slant, though they do cover some other topics.

My current list:

This American Life

Radiolab

Moth Podcast

Death, Sex, and Money

Planet Money

Wait, Wait....Don't Tell Me

A Brave Writer's Life in Brief (not updated regularly, but past episodes are great and she does update...occasionally)

Savvy Homeschool Moms Podcast

TED Radio Hour

Jillian Michaels Show

Hmm...listing ones I like but haven't been listed yet.

Star Talk Radio (Neil Degrasse Tyson)

A History of the World in 100 Objects

Scientific American video podcast

60-Second Science

NOVA (several varieties)

Freakonomics

The Tolkien Professor

Naptime Radio is really good. Somewhat irreverent, but not adult or r rated or anything. Clean. Very funny and realistic. You can go back 50 episodes. 

Manic Mommies is good, too. The older ones are better on that one. 

Radiolab, TAL, The Art of Simple (she can be repetitive, but still good), Slates' podcasts (Mom and Dad are Fighting, Double X, Culture Gabfest and Political Gabfest, the Gist). 

Ooh I love Podcasts and I'm excited for all of the ideas in this thread! 

What's on my ipod:

Ted Radio Hour

Alton Browncast

Gymcastic (gymnastics news and interviews)

Jillian Michaels Show

Diana Gabaldon Podcast (old, but new to me)

Outlander Podcast

Car Talk

The Splendid Table

The Monday Morning Quarterback with Peter King (football)

Seconding  The History Chicks - their sound quality isn't the greatest but their content is very good.

Car Talk

Stuff You MIssed in History Class

Stuff You Should Know

Craftlit