Menu

enrolled the oldest in public school.....deep breaths.....

ktgrok

This is my soon to be 15 year old Aspie. He really wants to go. He'll be going into 9th grade. And he probably needs some space away from mommy. Back in the olden days he's be in the fields with the men, not home with mom and littles all day every day. He also does well with competition, so i think it will help him be more motivated. But letting go is HARD. He's enrolled at the local school, which is what he wanted, but in their Scholar Academy program, which is pretty hard to get into. He will have Honors classes, English, Chemistry, Algebra II, AP Human Geography, and will take Latin and a special Scholar Academy elective that is mostly study skills, thinking skills, etc I think. 

It all sounds great. But their most recent test scores on a school wide basis were really bad. Bad enough that they brought in a new principal. Sigh. 

Edited to add: The new principal has her own skeletons in her closet. Mainly, a DUI two years ago. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-08-06/news/os-edgewater-high-principal-arrested-dui-20120806_1_dui-charge-deputies-legal-limit

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/diversion-program-offered-principal-accused-dui/nTnJH/

Hugs for you, Katie.

It is clear, though, that you have prepared him very well!  And here's hoping the new principal can make strides at bringing up school-wide performance without sacrificing services delivered to the honors crowd.

Best wishes to you and your son!

:grouphug:  I understand. My oldest is starting a private school this fall. He's 17 and starting as a junior because we just weren't getting it done homeschooling. He's happy because he gets to play football! I'm happy because I know he'll get the structure that he needs that I just can't seem to provide here at home.

Hugs, hugs, hugs. This week and next, we are visiting the public and private schools locally. DS13 and I have just come to an impasse in working together, and DH and I believe it will be eye-opening for him to attend school. He might even like it. We planned to go to the public high school for 9th, so this is just one year earlier.

Your DS will be fine. It will be hard, it will be eye-opening, but you will be there to advise him, which is more than many kiddos have.

So much of how a child does in public school is based on the commitment and involvement of the parents.

I agree. This is particularly apparent in the Montessori school my dc are at. I make regular appointments with teachers to touch base and check in (at least twice a year). Dd13 says I see the teachers more than any other parent 'without problem children'. I told her, 'That's why I don't have problem children!' (And 'problem children' here refers to specific problems with compliance and behaviour the school is having with some of their older students.) Dd knows she works to my standards, not the school's standards.

I'm glad I relented and enrolled my second son in high school at the start of his freshman year.  I should have done the same with my oldest & I plan to have my other three guys attend high school as well.  (Actually, they attend the high school for two years & then the community college for two years of dual enrollment.)  Academically, it's lacking.  There are all kinds of things about it that don't meet my standards.  But guess what?  Forcing my standards down my teen boys' throats isn't the be-all, end-all.  They have their own needs & preferences and that's the trump card.  Good lesson for homeschool moms to learn:  It's not about us. 

Best to you & your son!

I have recently been through a similar decision-making process with my rising 9th grade son and I know how difficult it is!  If you have found the best path for your son based on his individual needs, I am thrilled for you and for him.  Hopefully the school's test scores and the principal's bad choices won't affect him too much.

You also said "Back in the olden days he'd be in the fields with the men, not home with mom and littles all day every day."

I want to be supportive of you making your decision based on your son's individual needs but a blanket statement like this kind of rankles.  I find it a strange statement to make on a homeschooling message board, and I think it's untrue - yes some young men had to work in the field or the mines or the family trade from the earliest possible age, but it was hardly considered ideal, it was simply necessary.  Many upper class young men were educated at home with private tutors.

I have recently been through a similar decision-making process with my rising 9th grade son and I know how difficult it is!  If you have found the best path for your son based on his individual needs, I am thrilled for you and for him.  Hopefully the school's test scores and the principal's bad choices won't affect him too much.

You also said "Back in the olden days he'd be in the fields with the men, not home with mom and littles all day every day."

I want to be supportive of you making your decision based on your son's individual needs but a blanket statement like this kind of rankles.  I find it a strange statement to make on a homeschooling message board, and I think it's untrue - yes some young men had to work in the field or the mines or the family trade from the earliest possible age, but it was hardly considered ideal, it was simply necessary.  Many upper class young men were educated at home with private tutors.

Sorry, you are right. 

I do think boys, as they reach the later teen years anyway, do best with more time around other men. Be that male teachers/tutors, going in to the office with Dad, an internship, ROTC, sports teams, etc. Role models of what it means to be an adult man. I know for sure mine needs to see this. Perhaps it is more important with him because his father and I are divorced. He has a wonderful stepfather, but he works long hours. And to be honest there were many years when my ex was completely the opposite of a responsible man and I try to counteract that example as best I can. 

So I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that boys would be stunted being home with mom. I do think that would be easier if there were other male siblings close in age, or other adult males in their lives...be that a sports coach, tutor, etc. We don't have that, so this is something I really think is needed in his life. Being home with mom, a preschool girl, and a toddler is not enough for him. 

((Katie))

I understand!

Prepare for him to be quite tired at the end of the day--YMMV, of course, but my Aspie spent a lot of time (8th grade and before, as we homeschooled high school) a little hypervigilant, trying to discern the social aspects of school. Not the kids so much as the sensory overload and the keeping up with all the details--he had trouble with making inferences, transitions, language-based instructions with no visual or time for clarification, etc.

IDK where your son's Asperger's manifests, but just be aware that, even though he wants to be there, it will require effort, just the setting alone, nevermind the academics.

That said, IME, the honors classes often have undiag'd Aspies. One aspect, as you know, of Asperger's is deep interests--so (again, IME), you will get "STEM geeks" and lit geeks and all of that! I say that proudly as one of them! lol  (Pls don't take offense, anyone--) And, of course, some kids just have deep interests and talents and won't be on the spectrum.

Anyway, hang in there--I bet you've prepared him very well and he'll be ready for this adventure!

I am impressed at your ds's program -- Algebra 2 and an AP class in 9th grade!

I saw in your article that the school had C & D grades, then a B, then A. It sounds as though the principal has done a lot of good. And her skeleton is not exactly IN the closet, lol.

I am impressed at your ds's program -- Algebra 2 and an AP class in 9th grade!

I saw in your article that the school had C & D grades, then a B, then A. It sounds as though the principal has done a lot of good. And her skeleton is not exactly IN the closet, lol.

To be fair, they do Algebra II before Geometry in this district for some reason. 

And yeah, I'm really hoping she can do good things. 

I did laugh a bit that her DUI was after a Rod Stewart concert. That's better than one of the slummy bars in the area at least. 

To be fair, they do Algebra II before Geometry in this district for some reason.

And yeah, I'm really hoping she can do good things.

I did laugh a bit that her DUI was after a Rod Stewart concert. That's better than one of the slummy bars in the area at least.

I thought RS was kind of cool too.

And think, if your ds makes friends from his classes, he will have some pretty education minded friends.

Sorry, you are right.

I do think boys, as they reach the later teen years anyway, do best with more time around other men. Be that male teachers/tutors, going in to the office with Dad, an internship, ROTC, sports teams, etc. Role models of what it means to be an adult man. I know for sure mine needs to see this. Perhaps it is more important with him because his father and I are divorced. He has a wonderful stepfather, but he works long hours. And to be honest there were many years when my ex was completely the opposite of a responsible man and I try to counteract that example as best I can.

So I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that boys would be stunted being home with mom. I do think that would be easier if there were other male siblings close in age, or other adult males in their lives...be that a sports coach, tutor, etc. We don't have that, so this is something I really think is needed in his life. Being home with mom, a preschool girl, and a toddler is not enough for him.

Thank you for clarifying, I can appreciate that that was a big part of your decision for your son. His class schedule sounds interesting and challenging, I hope this is wonderful for him!

Good grief. I get so tired of people getting offended at so many things on this board... My middle one would have been one of those that needed to go out in the fields with the men in the olden days. It would have been AWESOME for him. The more physical activity he gets and the more interaction with men, the better.

Now I understand your point. In the olden days my oldest would have been completely lost. His asthma and general nerdiness would NOT have gone over well in the olden days.. But I am not going to take offense at her post. It wasn't a blanket statement..

Good grief.

And thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I'll be sure to give it all due consideration.

I agree with Chris. Even though Geezle really loves his class at school, he does come home wiped out. The crowds, the noise and the constant self-regulation are a lot of effort for him. But he's found his people and is so much happier now that he has friends who are also on the spectrum and face the same challenges. Our relationship is much more relaxed now too. I can "blame" his teacher for the academic requirements and Geezle wants to keep her good opinion enough to do the work, even when it's hard.

My middle one would have been one of those that needed to go out in the fields with the men in the olden days.  It would have been AWESOME for him.  The more physical activity he gets and the more interaction with men, the better.

This is true with many boys as they get older. It was a good point I think.  My friend has her DS16 go out with an uncle on Fridays as an electrical apprentice.  It has done him a WORLD of good.  The association plus the physical work. 

It's not true for everyone, but for many boys it it definitely true.

DUI isn't so bad.  My kids assigned elementary school's former principal was arrested for drug peddling by undercover narcotics officers while employed.   

Good luck !

We sent our kid to a public charter last year for 5th grade since it was a unique opportunity and has an excellent reputation. I was very reluctant but I figure we still have homeschooling and possibly other options as a back up plan. Even though the academics are lacking in comparison to what I could do sometimes (but not in all cases), I do think it is important for ds to learn how to navigate among all of the teachers (he has one for each subject) and students. I did not want him to go to college without having learned how to deal with a multitude of people and I cannot reproduce that experience at home. However, I do not think it is necessary for one to experience severe bullying or unsafe or harsh conditions to learn socially which thankfully he has not experienced. He has experienced rare occasional mild bullying and one verbal threat against him which the school and we addressed. OTOH he has a lot of kids like him at this school who are also nerdy academic geeks. If this school's opportunity had not presented itself we may have been still homeschooling but eventually I probably would have sought ought opportunities for a decent high school possibly especially if I could not find lots of opportunities for outside classes and venues with other students and teachers. My ds also has possible mild AS and we have worked on social things for years.